March 2017 Moms

Ask a Mom - May

2»

Re: Ask a Mom - May

• VeeMoreVeeMore member
    @IloveAlbert it's been mostly just green, a few have been mucousy. Also, yesterday and today, his first dirty diaper is yellow-green and just green after. Interesting that it takes a while for allergies to show, even though I eliminated dairy I still didn't really think that was it.

As far as oversupply, I was starting each feeding with my left breast because the right was consistently way more full, and I read to start each session on the less full side to try to balance it out. Starting yesterday, I'm switching sides only when drained so if it's oversupply hope this helps? 

@Ivorytower2 look forward to what your LC tells you!
  • How do you deal with family that is upset about you not baptising your babies? Religion is a very touchy subject with my family. Except for my brother they're all Christian. When I was younger, I was a Christian, and even then I always thought it was wrong to baptise babies since they can't make a commitment to God (not shaming those of you who are baptising your babies, this is just my belief about the matter). Now I'm an agnostic, and my fiance is an athiest. My family is pretty intolerant of people with different beliefs (my brother is also an agnostic and he gets tons of crap for it), so I have never really bothered telling them that I don't share theirs. Its never really been much of an issue before.

Well, my son is coming up on 10 weeks old, so somebody is going to bring up the subject of baptism soon. My fiance and I agreed long before Dean was born that we wouldn't baptise him just to please our families. When I tell them we aren't baptising Dean, there's undoubtedly going to be some tantrum throwing and hurt feelings. How do I deal with my family when this happens, and get them to respect the fact that I don't want to raise my son the way they raised my brother and me?
  • Loading the player...
  • @ShannonJ96 my DH and I aren't religious so not baptizing DD...I was raised protestant and was baptized, used to go to church a lot but stopped going once I hit high school when I decided not to be confirmed. My parents don't go to church anymore really and when they did it was only on Christmas and Easter. My mom gave me the christening gown I wore and I told her we would take pictures of her in it for her but that's it. I guess that appeased her for now! 
  • npaulienpaulie member
    @shannonj96 my husband and I aren't religious at all, but my parents are VERY religious. In our case, because we aren't religious, baptism isn't important to us and doesn't mean anything for us. For my parents, obviously, it is VERY important. We decided to go ahead and have him baptized because I feel it's hard for me to have a hard stance on something that isn't important to me but is important to them. Plus I figured it's a 1 hour church service out of my life to avoid a lifetime of arguments. thats what we chose to do in our personal situation. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ShannonJ96 I am a Christian but my DH is an atheist/agnostic, as is his whole family. I was never baptized growing up until I made the decision to do it a few years ago. I also feel it should be a personal choice and although I'm hoping my LO will come to believe in God & will encourage it, I don't want to force anything on him and believe he should be the one making the decision down the road - especially about being baptized when he understands what it means. My parents aren't pushing anything but some relatives & friends are pretty religious & believe we should baptize/do a Christening...I just politely & respectfully let them know if/when they bring it up that DH & I feel it should be a decision to be made by him down the road if he chooses to because it would actually mean something to him...and then if they push the issue further I tell them well neither of us were baptized as babies & we still turned out ok I think.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @serenity13
    That makes a lot of sense. I want my son to make his own choices as far as religion and whatnot go. I was baptised as a baby, went to a Christian school for 9 years, and was drug to church at least once a month growing up. I was pushed into a religion and never given a choice about it. No one cared that I didn't agree, and I got into a lot of trouble at school and at home for questioning what I was being taught. As a result I was an incredibly angry child and a very troubled teenager/young adult. 

I want my son to not turn out like I did. I was stripped of all individuality and freedom to think for myself growing up. Eventually I cracked and developed a really bad drinking problem and a drug problem. I wound up hurting a lot of people, especially myself. But, I've been completely off drugs for about 2 and a half years, and haven't had a drink for a little over 1 year.

I am going to raise my son to be a good, moral person that can make smart decisions for himself. That's what my job is. Should he take up religion when he's older, then more power to him. I'll support it fully so long as its his choice. 
  • @ShannonJ96 congrats on being sober!!
  • kelizrkelizr member
    @ShannonJ96 We are Christian but come from a church that dedicates babies but does believers baptism where you make your own choice. My inlaws are from the thinking that children must be baptized as infants to be saved. It's very important to my mother-in-law, so we do both, with the understanding that if our children so choose, they will be baptized by their choice later in life. We do infant out of respect or her, but have made our beliefs very clear as well. It hasn't been an issue.

Pregnancy Ticker

• How do you deal with family that is upset about you not baptising your babies? Religion is a very touchy subject with my family. Except for my brother they're all Christian. When I was younger, I was a Christian, and even then I always thought it was wrong to baptise babies since they can't make a commitment to God (not shaming those of you who are baptising your babies, this is just my belief about the matter). Now I'm an agnostic, and my fiance is an athiest. My family is pretty intolerant of people with different beliefs (my brother is also an agnostic and he gets tons of crap for it), so I have never really bothered telling them that I don't share theirs. Its never really been much of an issue before.

Well, my son is coming up on 10 weeks old, so somebody is going to bring up the subject of baptism soon. My fiance and I agreed long before Dean was born that we wouldn't baptise him just to please our families. When I tell them we aren't baptising Dean, there's undoubtedly going to be some tantrum throwing and hurt feelings. How do I deal with my family when this happens, and get them to respect the fact that I don't want to raise my son the way they raised my brother and me?
    You could always sidestep the conversation by saying you want it to be his choice when he's older. Normally I advise direct honesty but sometimes with family it's important to maintain peace.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I feel like a total dumbass for having to ask this, but how do you keep babies from hurting your ear piercings? My son tried to pull my hoop ear rings a couple of weeks ago, so I put in small studs. Today I was holding him while he was crying, and he slammed his head into the side of mine. I got stabbed by all three of the ear rings in that ear, and he made one poorly healed piercing bleed (that's what I get for using a gun on scar tissue right below the cartilage).
  • I feel like a total dumbass for having to ask this, but how do you keep babies from hurting your ear piercings? My son tried to pull my hoop ear rings a couple of weeks ago, so I put in small studs. Today I was holding him while he was crying, and he slammed his head into the side of mine. I got stabbed by all three of the ear rings in that ear, and he made one poorly healed piercing bleed (that's what I get for using a gun on scar tissue right below the cartilage).
    Honestly? I took mine out.  :#
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina
    Funny you should say that. Yesterday, I took out the one he made bleed. I figured if it still hurts and hasn't healed after 16 months, then my body is rejecting it and it's never going to fully heal. My ear is already feeling 10X better.

I'm going to try to keep the other 2 sets though. I really like them and he won't be an ear ring grabbing baby forever.