September 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms- 5/15

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms- 5/15

• @Ae_Lovely321 Totally with you! I hate those gofundme things. There's a trend in our area (not even a small town or anything) to have stag and doe parties to raise money for weddings. Barf. You want to throw a party? Cool. You want me to pay for it? Hell no.  They even sell tickets to people they don't invite to the wedding. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @MyNamesTaken I wouldn't go to that shower. It sounds horrible and boring. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Chris Cornell died  :'(
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • mrs_tacosmrs_tacos member
    edited May 2017
    On the topic of who to have in the delivery room, has anyone used or is going to use a doula, or hired a birth photographer? I'm seriously considering a doula, but I want to talk to a few people who have used one first. And as this may very well be our only biological child, I'm considering a birth photographer. The pictures would be just for our family, not something we'd display on the walls or share on Facebook. Is it weird? Would you side-eye someone who had this done?

• @mrs_tacos I have a good friend who had a birth photographer. Her pictures are circulating in the "best birth pictures of 2016" stories that get passed around. They are beautiful and I love them. She was in the hospital and had a beautiful birth. I would not judge at all anyone who wanted pictures like that. As long as the camera wasn't angled up your hooha to see baby crowning.

Do we have a Weekly Ticker Change?

I got cancelled from work and my aunt flew into town today to visit, so I'm happy to get to go see her and visit today!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @mrs_tacos we had an on call doula in case of transfer and I 1,000 times wish we'd had a doula for the whole labor. If you can afford one, interview some until you find one you click with and do it! IMO, definitely worth it to have someone that knows all the tricks and can help you find what works best for you and can help care for you and DH while you're in labor. I kind of wish we'd had a birth photographer because I see all these beautiful photos others have done and love them. Prior to having DS though I didn't bother to look through some and felt too modest to think it was an option. But after giving birth and seeing some of the photos others had done, they tend to be very tasteful and made me wish I'd gone for it. If you're comfortable with it and find someone you like, go for it! Although some doulas might be game to take photos for you as well. 
  • @mrs_tacos I did not do a birth photographer b/c I thought it would be weird, but have seen pictures of others and I am bummed I did not do it. The pics I have seen are so great and had no hooha. :) I also do not remember much of my twins birth due to the meds, so they would be great to have now. 
  • Hopefully this is a good spot to post this...... just got a call 2 weeks after anatomy scan saying doctor " didn't like the way the heart and stomach were lined up" and I need to go back in for another scan.  Some additional background here - an intern did my original scan and baby was not super cooperative.  New scan was scheduled for next week.  I guess first question has anyone else come across this? Second question am I safe to reassure myself that since they didn't call immediately and no one sounds terribly concerned that I also shouldn't be terribly concerned? 
  • CSL522CSL522 member
    I hired a birth photographer with my last pregnancy and have hired one with this one also. Hands down some of my most loved pictures. I'd be glad to share a few if you were interested but Pinterest is also full of examples!
  • @jillibean0871 If you look at the anatomy scan thread, you'll see that a lot of us have to do a follow up scan. Mine is to get a better view of the spine and heart because the baby wasn't cooperative at all. The doctor said everything looked good, she just wanted a better view. If no one seems worried, try not to worry. It was probably just the angle the baby was at when they did the scan. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @mrs_tacos I think a birth photographer is totally fine and not weird at all especially if you're not going to share them with the world. If it's what you want, you should do it. It's an incredibly special moment and I think you would cherish those pictures forever. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mrs_tacos I am planning to hire a doula this time. Researching some right now. I would have used one last time, but I had a mandatory csection and my hospital only allows one support person in the OR. Some doulas also offer birth photography services.
  • @bridge-and-wall thank you and I knew there was somewhere better it just wasn't registering :) I'll check out that board 
  • I had a doula with my first two babies. I loved having her! And Birth photographers catch some amazing pictures. If you want that and are comfortable with it, go for it. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • We can't make up our minds on a name. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• JNR6510JNR6510 member
    @mrs_tacos You might check if your hospital even allows a birth photographer. I know my L&D ward has notices posted that photographers / pictures are welcome only when medical staff are not present in the room. And they do not allow any video recordings on premises regardless of whether medical staff are present or not. So a birth photographer would not even be allowed for us.
  • RE: meal services, I found Blue Apron to be good, but SUPER labor intensive. I felt like we used every single dish in our kitchen and took forever to cook. We prefer Home Chef- they are all about the same price and Home Chef is just as good but requires half the amount of effort to prep. Also, I wouldn't prep too many freezer meals beforehand- after DD was born, my tastes changed and a lot of stuff I used to love didn't sound good to me anymore, so I probably would've ended up wasting a ton of food.

As far as allowing anyone in the delivery room, besides DH, the only person I would even consider is my sister. My MIL would probably be telling me I am doing it wrong. IMO, birth is not a spectator sport.

@jillibean0871- I hope it's nothing. My A/S took 3 attempts because this silly kid was in a bad position and wouldn't cooperate. The tech said close to 80% of the scans she does require at least 2 shots, which made me feel better.
  • @sarahufl I was wondering about my taste changing after birth. I feel like it hasn't been too different from my pre-pregnancy taste except for a couple things. We're looking at going with Hello Fresh for the food boxes. I don't think Blue Apron is offered out of the US. 
  • jena333-2 said:
    H felt baby move a couple weeks ago, but last night I SAW my belly move. It was a pretty cool thing to see.
    I think I saw my belly move for the first time last week, but it was pretty subtle and all of a sudden this week the movements are MUCH more pronounced. It's really cool and kind of weird at the same time. It's fun for my husband and I to just sit there and watch him move.
  • I would love to have a birth photographer. Some of the images I've seen are so beautiful. (I'm a photographer so pictures are very special to me.) But our hospital doesn't allow pictures during the birth, only after the baby is already born. So I will give my husband my camera set on auto and pray for the best! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't want anyone else in the delivery room except for my SO. I have a feeling my MIL is going to be a bit pushy on this because she is VERY involved. She's very sweet but a little too involved for my comfort level. Mostly, I don't want her there because she always has a camera in hand and is an over-sharer on Facebook (and in real life). We specifically told her not to announce our pregnancy online and she did... I don't want the same to happen with a photo of me and baby just after birth. It would be nice to have a few photos but I want to have full control over who sees these photos. They are not for the internet and not to be passed around at brunch to my MILs friends!!
  • I like blue apron but agree with @sarahufl that it is labor intensive and maybe not the best option post-birth. You get to skip running to the market for ingredients but it still involves lots of washing, chopping, etc.