September 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 5/8-5/12

Re: Weekly Randoms 5/8-5/12

• Options
    @Carebella I have been wondering this too. We are down to just nursing at bedtime but I am ready to be done. It has been super hurty...
  • Options
    Carebella said:
    I've wanted it to be naptime almost since we woke up this morning. Oh, and the switch to colostrum has happened now. I'm curious if DS will want to keep nursing with the change. 
    Whooaaaaaaa I can't wait til mine start to express a little..
    Girl, I had full on letdown and leaking after a shower the other day :blush:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @tfrangul The pain level has been INSANE. Particularly on one side that he insisted still had milk and I'm sure was dry for a couple weeks or more. And my milk addict is still doing first thing in the morning, nap time, and just before bed. Guilt and extreme will power have kept me going. 
  • Options
    kswiger06 said:
    Thanks @DPandMB!! That makes sense. I wish we did that for at least the ultrasound thread, my phone took forever loading all those, and sometimes I would give up. I was thinking maybe it kept "the bump" from being able to take those photos and use them for whatever purpose they give in the terms lol
    Also, on like HDBD or the birth announcement threads sometimes my phone is trying so hard to load so many pictures it just gives up and I don't get to see any of them. Spoilers are a life saver! I wish all the boards I creeped on used them lol
  • Options
    Okay, so stupid (?) question: for mamas that are BFing a kid already, and the colostrum is coming in: does it get "used up?" As in, what happens when these babies arrive, will you make new colostrum for that baby, or is it gone by then?
  • Options
    @jena333-2 I can't imagine it gets used up. I've never heard of it when reading about nursing while pregnant, or tandem nursing. I think it's one of those biological things that or bodies have hard wired to know how to do given that FTMs start making it and STMs that are nursing switch to making it. And then it doesn't change to milk until at least a few days to a week after baby is born regardless of being a FTM/STM. 
  • Options
    My OB wanted me to wean DD by the time I was 18 weeks. Even though I read a lot of stuff that said it was ok to nurse and be pregnant, this BIG part of me just wanted to not nurse for a little while. Plus, my boobs were really hurting. I stopped about a month ago and it is glorious. 
  • Options
    Carebella said:
    @jena333-2 I can't imagine it gets used up. I've never heard of it when reading about nursing while pregnant, or tandem nursing. I think it's one of those biological things that or bodies have hard wired to know how to do given that FTMs start making it and STMs that are nursing switch to making it. And then it doesn't change to milk until at least a few days to a week after baby is born regardless of being a FTM/STM. 
    So will the STM continue to make colostrum until the new baby comes? So the current child has months of colostrum ahead?
  • Options
    @jena333-2 copied this from kellymom.com, the site doesn't have the best user interface but has tons of great information and resources for moms about nursing. 

"Most mothers who are nursing through pregnancy notice a decrease in milk supply by mid-pregnancy, but sometimes as early as the first month. During pregnancy, the mature milk is also making a gradual change to the colostrum which is present at birth. Supply may increase toward the end of pregnancy as colostrum production kicks in."

• Options
    Read a little more and "you will continue to produce colostrum throughout the latter part of your pregnancy – your older nursling cannot “use it up.”

• Options
    @Carebella I <3 kellymom so hard. Some of the best lactation information available for moms. 
  • Options
    labby18labby18 member
    @lap018 they are so cute. DH is still "meh" about headbands...so I haven't bought any yet.
  • Options
    lane89lane89 member
    Has anyone considered refinishing a crib? either with paint or stain? I have been doing some research (so whatever we choose is safe for baby) and I am curious to see if anyone has any suggestions on paint vs stain or brands that are baby safe?

We got a fabulous Babyletto Hudson crib from a friend for free and I just want to make it work for our space. I am a big DIYer.
  • Options
    +1 on the kellymom love. That site is amazing! 

@lane89 I will be repainting our crib. There are some ingredients that need to be avoided. I can't remember off the top of my head (theyre jotted down at home). Google crib sage paints and you should have some good leads. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    lap018lap018 member
    lane89 said:
    Has anyone considered refinishing a crib? either with paint or stain? I have been doing some research (so whatever we choose is safe for baby) and I am curious to see if anyone has any suggestions on paint vs stain or brands that are baby safe?

We got a fabulous Babyletto Hudson crib from a friend for free and I just want to make it work for our space. I am a big DIYer.
    Chalk paint ( specifically Annie Sloan) is non toxic when I bought my chalk paint the guy selling it to me literally Ate some to prove his point! He was like it doesn't taste good but it won't hurt anyone. So you could definitely go that route, plus chalk paint is the bomb because no sanding! Love that stuff. I'm re doing a built in in the nursery it's a dark cherry wood right now (pretty just not for a nursery) and it will be light gray with old white inset 
  • Options
    DS is 2.5 and still nursing, you'll definitely have support!
  • Options
    @msashley2010-2 Plus one on the ones who got your back! 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    I know I can google, but I don't believe I've heard of an endive. From the picture looks like a mix between a cabbage and a radish. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @lap018 omg Emma needs a Valentine's Day headband like that! SO FREAKING CUTE. You are so crafty. I want to be you.

@msashley2010-2 I totally understand that! My sister was the same with my niece, she had just turned 21 but she was in the same exact situation you were! Hopefully the breastfeeding thread is a place where you can get some questions answered by fellow mamas who've been there too. I hope it helps!! <3
  • Options
    @iheartichi it's the leaves from a chickory root!  They grow in the dark.  Has a bitter flavor.  Very interesting crop. 

*TW* 
    Me: 35 | DH: 38
    Met: 2007
    Married: 2013

BFP #1: 06/21/16                MMC: 08/04/16
    BFP #2: 01/08/17             DD: 09/23/17 <3
    BFP #3: 06/10/20             EDD: 02/11/2021

• Options
    DPandMBDPandMB member
    @lap018 you should make matching ones for you. I love matching moms and daughters.

• Options
    @Cats*in*space wow that is interesting! I'll have to check one out on the grocery store so I can see what our babies look like! Ha! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I just got the worst craving for an ice cream that hasn't existed in years.
    :(
    Does anyone remember when they used to sell Starbucks ice cream at the grocery store? It was called Starbucks Mud Pie and it was soooooo good!
  • Options
    I just got the worst craving for an ice cream that hasn't existed in years.
    :(
    Does anyone remember when they used to sell Starbucks ice cream at the grocery store? It was called Starbucks Mud Pie and it was soooooo good!
    This is the worst. Hood put out a special edition, cranberry cheesecake (cranberry swirl and chunks of cheesecake). Short run. So freaking delicious.
  • Options
    lap018 said:
    lane89 said:
    Has anyone considered refinishing a crib? either with paint or stain?
    Chalk paint ( specifically Annie Sloan) is non toxic when I bought my chalk paint the guy selling it to me literally Ate some to prove his point! He was like it doesn't taste good but it won't hurt anyone. So you could definitely go that route, plus chalk paint is the bomb because no sanding! Love that stuff. I'm re doing a built in in the nursery it's a dark cherry wood right now (pretty just not for a nursery) and it will be light gray with old white inset 
    Yes. I second chalk paint.  It's so easy to use. 
  • Options
    Anybody try the pop rocks oreos yet? 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Cyper attacks suck..  DH works health care IT and is having to do some emergency patches tonight because people are freaking out about the attacks earlier today. We were suppose to spend the evening together. 
  • Options
    I did! We got them in a press release at work. Pretty good, but a little strange. Taste like regular Oreos, but the popping lasts a while. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    MrsVP614 said:
    I did! We got them in a press release at work. Pretty good, but a little strange. Taste like regular Oreos, but the popping lasts a while. 
    I as wondering what the flavor was. Ok so I'm on a mission today! I totally missed out on the peeps ones, just wanted to see what they were like. I don't think I've ever had a bad Oreo. 

Pregnancy Ticker