Baby Names
Options

Dylan or Dillon? (boy)

DH and I like Dylan/Dillon for #2, if it's a boy. I prefer the "Dylan" spelling, but DH thinks people would think he was a girl on paper unless his name was spelled "Dillon." What do you think? I wasn't actually aware that this was a unisex name until now!

Re: Dylan or Dillon? (boy)

• Options
    I don't think of it as a feminine name at all whichever way you spell it. I would think they were both males if I read it on paper. The only time I can think of a female Dylan is from the movie remake of Charlie's Angels!

I personally prefer Dylan. I thought Dillon was just a modern spelling of Dylan, but realize I was mistaken after looking it up. But that was my initial thought, and I'm not typically a fan of modernizing names. Dylan and Dillon have different origins and meanings, so perhaps that will help you make a decision (info from Nameberry):

Dylan

Origin: Welsh
    Meaning: "son of the sea"
    Dylan still feels poetic and romantic after years of popularity. A Welsh name tied to the sea, Dylan was a legendary sea god who prompted all the waters of Britain and Ireland to weep when he died. 

Dillon
    Origin: Irish
    Meaning: "loyal"
    Different origin from the Welsh Dylan, but increasingly used as a variant spelling.

Hope that helps & good luck! :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I only know one female with the name and she spells it Dillyn. I don't think either of your choices are feminine on paper. :-) I prefer the Dylan spelling, but Dillon is nice, too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dylan.  While trendy on girls I always assume masculine. 
  • Options
    lm45678lm45678 member
    Dylan
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I prefer Dylan.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Both are 100% boys names. 
  • Options
    JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited May 2017
    Dylan.  Like pp, I would also assume that Dillon is a trendy misspelling, even if it is an actual name in its own right.  And I would never guess that either one was a girl.

• Options
    Dillon is more familiar to me but I would assume both were boys

• Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    Both look like boys to me. Dylan also makes me think of Bob Dylan. 
  • Options
    both are boys
    either spelling if fine
  • Options
    Another vote for Dylan spelling
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I would use Dylan. It is very much a boy name. Dillon seems much more surname-y to me, which would be fine if you were using it in the FN spot because it was a family name.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Dylan is the classic, expected spelling. I wouldn't worry about the girls. It's one of those names people are using for girls, but it's a classic boys name and people will assume boy. Not like naming your kid Skyler or something.
  • Options