June 2017 Moms

UO Thursday 5/4

2»

Re: UO Thursday 5/4

• delujm0delujm0 member
    Has anyone actually found the text where it says rape is a pre existing condition?

The definition of pre existing condition is a medical event that makes recurrence more likely.  So yes - it is factual that having had a CS makes it more likely that you'd need another CS, just like if you've had cancer you're more likely to get it again in the future, or if you have heart disease you're more likely to have a heart attack.  A repeat CS is less likely than a lot of other pre existing conditions of course...i mean you'd have to get pregnant again for that to happen, but I can see how it might fit the broad definition.  

That being said, it is bullshit that the insurance companies will be allowed to discriminate against and charge higher rates to people with pre existing conditions.  That was one of the best features of the ACA I think.  If you want to be an insurance company you have to be willing to insure everyone...not just low risk individuals.

The rape thing makes zero sense, because if you have been raped before you're no more likely to be raped again than anyone else...and rape doesn't necessarily require expensive medical intervention either.  So i would like to see the text in the bill that allows this, as I fear it's just media bullshit.  I am in no way a Trump fan, but you just can't read an online article anymore from any source and have it be free of bias unfortunately.  And this rape thing sounds so insane I'm afraid it's just fear mongering.  I basically trust nothing without reading the actual documents anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • HgPaHgPa member
    I think what people mean when they say rape is
    a preexisting condition is that pelvic exams are no longer covered. So it's not technically correct, but you would have to pay in full to have evidence collected and your health checked after trauma, which is still awful.
  • mombod said:
    Finally found where you can read the full bill
    https://housegop.leadpages.co/healthcare/ 

Edit to add: you have to download the bill, then read the amendments for the changes that were in todays actual vote. 

SITB

According to this link, the MacArthur amendment specifically protects those with pre-existing conditions.

Does anyone know where I can find exactly what was passed and what wasn't?
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • JessyKVJessyKV member
    @MKRLTX do you have a local MOPs group? Our mops group has daytime and evening meetings so you can pick what works best for you.  They also have childcare during meetings.  I go to the daytime meeting since I stay home and I like going during the day but not every mom there is a SAHM and not all the night moms work . There are activities and play dates set up for days, evenings and weekends.  

I think the divide happens naturally in that women are looking to connect with people going through the same thing.  I worked full time until my DD was almost 3 and DS was 1 and it would have been hard for me to Listen to a SAHMs struggles because I probably would just be jealous or sad. (Because I personally wanted to stay home and struggled with working FT.   Not saying everyone would feel this way).  Now that I stay home it's nice to connect with other moms that deal with the same day to day struggles I do . We are all moms and have many of the same struggles but I have found there are also ones that are specific to working or staying home.  Most of my friends work so it's been nice to make some new friends to do things with on weekdays . And yes some work PT or evenings and are just free in the day.