September 2017 Moms

Summertime Prep

I keep reading things about Tick borne diseases and how bad they will be this year - Lyme and Powassan. And there's still the Zika virus. Has anyone given any thought to what products would be safe to use during pregnancy this summer? I've read about the bug repellent ingredient Picardin recently - anyone familiar with this? 

Re: Summertime Prep

• My OB said to use bug spray with deet. I got a pamphlet about Zika and my OB said she thought it might get to our area this summer. Basically, the idea is that deet is much better for you and the baby than Zika or any of the other diseases. Plus, deet is proven to keep bugs away. I put bug spray on every day. And I add more if I'm going to be outside. My OB also suggested that DH use the same precautions or that we use condoms as Zika is also sexually transmitted. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • What state do you live in? I'm in PA
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm in south Texas. There was Zika in Brownsville last year. It's only about 2 hours or so from me. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Lyme disease can kill you if it's not diagnosed in time properly. Then, when it is diagnosed you have to take medicine for months on end. Considering you live in PA I'd rather use deet than risk Lyme disease. Zika *probably* isn't going to be of concern to you unless you or your SO travel to a Zika-prone area. 
  • I am in Florida and I am going to use stronger stuff this summer (or now since its already 95) and I use the Off Pods (not sure the name exactly) but it really works well for me! 
  • @Becky012016 agree that ticks will prob be the bigger issue in PA this summer. Ugh they are nasty little creatures. Deet makes me uneasy especially when pregnant but yes better than Lyme disease. I'll have to do some research...I've made bug repellent with essential oils (not pregnant) but I can't recall which ones were not recommended for pregnancy. 
  • I live in FL and we have our fair share of critters. DEET definitely is the most effective for keeping the mosquitoes away. (Especially when I'm camping and don't want to get swarmed.) 

We also always make sure to check each other for ticks periodically when we are spending a lot of time outdoors. 
  • @klcarr19 are the pods the things that you just put outside or do you wear them on your clothes? 
  • @DanaG there are some you can clip on your clothes! 
  • When I went to the Suwannee this past weekend I bathed in bug spray. Didn't get bit once. And the skeeters were awful. They also have this gnat repellent that I'm looking into. Fingers crossed it works because I hate gnats. I'm not really worried about ticks because I never go into the woods or outside. 
  • DPandMBDPandMB member
    I hadn't thought much about it, but my family is petrified of ticks. DS got rocky mount spotted fever when he was 3 and we almost lost him. I got DD some bracelets that are supposed to help. Wonder if those are safe for pregnancy 

• JNR6510JNR6510 member
    I had DH put the Sevin dust on our yard. It kills ticks and fleas so you don't have to worry about them in your yard at least. The application will have to be done by your SO or someone else since it is not pregnancy safe, but at least it provides peace of mind once applied.
  • @JNR6510 is that safe for dogs and or well water? My DH is reluctant to treat the grass bc of those two things.... another thing I should look in to lol
  • I've used Sevin and I have 5 dogs. I'd have to check with DH, but I think we just kept them inside for like an hour. Don't know about well water. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • JNR6510JNR6510 member
    We have dogs and a well. I just had to keep the dogs indoors for a few hours.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    Last summer we decided to splurge and hired a company to come out twice a month to spray our yard and it was worth every penny. The summer before, you couldn't even take out the garbage without getting 10+ but bites and I don't think I got even 1 last year. We were able to actual enjoy the yard and didn't need bug spray at all. They had a sale around the holidays so we've already booked them for this summer too. 

PS. I'm in New Jersey. 

Me & DH: 31  |  Married: 5.4.13  |  TTC: April 2016  |  BFP: 1.8.17  |  EDD: 9.13.17

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• DEET. I've done lots of research. It's a repellent, not a poison. I have to spray myself and my kid every time we play in the backyard, which is everyday. Cutter also makes a DEET free spray that has eucalyptus oil and lemongrass that I've used and it works (ordered on Amazon) but it's kind of oily and a pump spray so you have to rub it in to really cover yourself. That's another proven option for mosquitoes. But regardless what you use, it's better than transmitting Zika or Lyme. My best friend has Lyme, she's had a rough time. And Zika scares the crap out of me. Mosquitoes flock to me. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Swazzle said:
    Last summer we decided to splurge and hired a company to come out twice a month to spray our yard and it was worth every penny. The summer before, you couldn't even take out the garbage without getting 10+ but bites and I don't think I got even 1 last year. We were able to actual enjoy the yard and didn't need bug spray at all. They had a sale around the holidays so we've already booked them for this summer too. 

PS. I'm in New Jersey. 
    Yaaas! We just hired a company to come out and spray the crap out of our yard. We have a wasp and carpenter bee problem, too, so that's FUN!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I make my own repellent with essential oils. My youngest daughter has multiple bug allergies and we have to keep her protected. It's been over two years of use and we haven't had any issues. I plan on using her's on myself this summer, too. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • I'm finding conflicting info about the essential oils... and which are safe and which are not safe to use during pregnancy. One article will say lemongrass is safe another says it's not... same with eucalyptus....
  • I also love in south Texas and my doctor said to put bug spray ,she didn't say any kind not to use, on if I'm gonna spend time outside. She thinks Zika will make its way here eventually and to be safe.  I've also read there's plants that can help repel mosquitoes so I plan to plant a few of those around the garage and by the front porch where we spend the most time
  • I live in Ohio and since the winter was on the warmer side we have already started seeing ticks.  I found one on my couch a few weeks ago assuming it came in off of our lab.  Also, DH had one on his leg after coming in from gardening just the other day. We now check each and every time we come in from outside.  If DH is gardening or mowing the lawn his clothes goes straight downstairs to the laundry room immediately after coming in.  It is going to be a nasty spring and summer.  I will be using essential oil based bug sprays also.
  • I also make my own bug spray every summer for ticks and mosquitoes. It works for me and my family including the dogs. It has a bottle of witch hazel, lemongrass oil, eucalyptus oil, and catnip oil. The original recipe called for tea tree instead of catnip oil, but I replaced it to make it pet safe. Also I think the catnip oil is way more effective for repelling ticks. My dad tried the tea tree and it didn't repel ticks as well.