March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM- Week of 4/17

Re: Ask a STM- Week of 4/17

• For breastfeeding mamas who are starting to get slightly longer stretches at night, how are you dealing with engorgement? DD went a little over 4 hours two night ago, but I woke up at 3 and a half and boobs were rock hard so had to pump. I don't want to make the supply issues worse, but also realllly don't want to get Mastitis ever again. 
  • @Ivorytower2 I am interested to see what other mamas say because I have been having this issue too. I have soaked through my shirt at night a couple times in the past week. Hand expression to take the pressure off might be helpful without affecting your supply?

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• Loading the player...
  • With DD1 from what I remember your body adjusts pretty well -- supply and demand.  But if you're woken up from being super engorged and miserable might as well wake baby up and feed  
  • personally i pump and store it at least for now. last time i think i would just hand express until the pressure/pain subsided. There was still plenty of milk left in the breast so i don't think my body took it as a feed and adjusted accordingly
  • Last time I think I would hand express. The longer stretches are typically gradual so my body adjusted with it.. I would wake up engorged but it wouldn't go on for too long before I adjusted. It took awhile to adjust after he statred STTN so I would just hand express still. 

I didnt need a huge huge storage supply, so I rarely pumped when I didn't have to besides a feed.. or once I went back to work and didn't pump enough during a session. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• For breastfeeding mamas who are starting to get slightly longer stretches at night, how are you dealing with engorgement? DD went a little over 4 hours two night ago, but I woke up at 3 and a half and boobs were rock hard so had to pump. I don't want to make the supply issues worse, but also realllly don't want to get Mastitis ever again. 
    Lol, when that hardened to me two nights ago I woke baby up and made her nurse a bit. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I usually pump just enough to be comfortable. I keep my manual pump by my bed and do just enough to relieve some of the engorgement. If I don't, my LO has a hard time eating due to both how fast/much letdown I have, and (I assume because I am VERY large chested) he has a hard time getting a good latch if I'm too engorged. 
  • My LO started sleeping longer last week. The first few days I did wake her up and try to get her to eat but it didn't really work. After my milkcame in my engorgement hasn't been to bad so I've been able to deal with it until she got up. She sleeps maybe 4-5 hours instead of waking up around 3 hours to nurse

• For mom's who put their LO's in daycare, are there any suggestions for labeling bottles and their clothes? Seeing if there are any preferences in products...I would prefer some kind of label for clothes that is laundry safe instead of writing her name on them. 
  • @Spartanrd4 we just wrote on the bottles, but I might go labels this time. I never label his clothes because they have a separate box for his clothes that has his name on them. Could you just send them in a labeled bag?
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • As a mom with a child in childcare, and as someone who works in a childcare, label everything. We have boxes for each kid's clothes and I took all of her laundry home, and I still ended up having her clothes go missing. I used a marker just on the tags to put her initials. I have seen parents that have bought stick on labels with their child's name on them. They held up through the laundry pretty well, but did eventually wear off. With Cate, I sent her milk in labeled bags, and she was the only one using the type of bottles we sent. (Not that she ever really took a bottle well.) I did pump at work as well, so if I didn't freeze it, I would just cap the bottle and put it in their classroom's fridge with a masking tape label with name, date, and time. This time, we are using Dr. Brown's bottles, and they actually just got a bunch if those bottles through a grant, so I won't be providing them this time.
  • Anyone else have a balding baby? This poor little thing didn't have much to begin with and now the little bit of hair she has on the top of her head has fallen out and she's shiny bald up top. Wonder how long it will take for new hair to grow. She seriously looks like a lil old man.
  • @Ivorytower2 I second the balding. My little one also has been balding on top lol. Poor thing 
  • Any tips for preparing for the 2 month vaccines? Of course I'm worried about him actually getting the 3 shots (I don't like needles myself!) but I'm worried about how he'll act afterwards... 
  • My son had the balding too...it looked exactly like male pattern baldness...lost the top but the sides stayed.  I forget when it started to come back.  My LO is losing her's now too...I find her hairs everywhere.
  • You can nurse for coming (if BF) but for me it was NBD. They seemed more startled and pretty instantly calmed down once picked up. You can request they bring another nurse in and do them at the same time so it isn't as prolonged an experience having multiple shots.  I promise you'll be more upset than your baby.

bald baby here too! It's pretty normal for them to get that "monk" look in the first months. But I can't for the life of me remember how long it took to grow back-I'm sure each kiddo is different t
  • I remember with my first it was not fun, but he seemed okay until about three hours later when he was inconsolable.  Be sure to have Tylenol on hand for after.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @jomarma Last time around I didn't really do anything to prepare for two month shots. Like others said it's harder on you than it is on the baby. Of course my son cried but he literally stopped about 15 seconds later. If I recall correctly, he didn't eat as much that day, but he was back to normal the next day. 
  • Any suggestions for a 5 week old only wanting mommy? My poor husband gets so upset that she doesn't want him holding her. We've tried to get him to bottle feed her and the first bottle a week ago went well and then tonight she was losing it with him. Would love some help!
  • @jomarma definitely have Tylenol on hand! I premedicated our son about 30 minutes before the appointment and then for the next 48 hours we did Tylenol every 6 hours because he was so grumpy. We also did warm compresses on his legs which he appreciated, and he got extra tub time since the warm water helped his soreness. Maybe my kids are weird with shots but it usually takes them 5-7 days to get over their grumpiness from them. I will say be careful with Tylenol though because it can cause a bit of belly issues/gas/constipation while so young. Don't do ice packs on legs either because that can make the vaccine not absorb well and will make the liquid essentially be a hard ball under the skin. The heat helps it absorb into the muscle. Baby is going to want held a LOT and will sleep a lot more too post shots. It was heartbreaking for me - baby didn't really care. Baby should get 3 shots and 1 oral vaccine. 

@MsTurney babies can pick up an anxiety too so make sure dad isn't feeling especially nervous. My husband was nervous for the first few weeks (he wouldn't even hold our son until he was back at 4lbs because he was too scared). Also try lots of skin to skin with dad so she really absorbs his scent and can bond with him. Have dad bathe her too to help build his confidence and get some bonding down. Before you know it she'll recognize his voice and face and be smiling at him!
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Anyone else have a balding baby? This poor little thing didn't have much to begin with and now the little bit of hair she has on the top of her head has fallen out and she's shiny bald up top. Wonder how long it will take for new hair to grow. She seriously looks like a lil old man.
    Yep. My girlie is rocking the Patrick Stewart hair for now. I noticed tonight though she has a nice later of dark brown hair growing in. (she l9st is all about 2 weeks old and is now 7 weeks old)

I'll post a pic if the app ever let's me!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • For mom's who put their LO's in daycare, are there any suggestions for labeling bottles and their clothes? Seeing if there are any preferences in products...I would prefer some kind of label for clothes that is laundry safe instead of writing her name on them. 

Lurking from April 2017 (which is a ghost town!)  I used Name Bubbles and got the daycare pack.  The labels have held up really well for two years - so well that when DD2 goes to daycare I'm just going to leave all the labels on (with DD1's name).  The daycare pack comes with laundry labels and dishwasher safe labels too in lots of different sizes. Laundry labels survived lots and lots of cloth diaper washes and dishwasher safe labels survived one million trips in the dishwasher.

Another option is Mabel's Labels.  I didn't use this brand of labels but I've heard good things!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• When does baby acne clear up? I keep hearing people say after a couple of weeks, but my little guy has had it since he was like a week old, and it is absolutely awful now (he's 6 weeks old today). 
  • Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited April 2017
    @ShannonJ96 for my first baby it was the worst around 6 weeks. Stared to clear up by around 7 and was almost completely gone by 8. In sure it's different for every baby, but I think it's caused by residual hormones from Mom, so I don't think it could last that long.
  • ShannonJ96ShannonJ96 member
    edited April 2017
    @Ivorytower2
    His is definitely the worst its ever been. His whole face is red and broken out, and the pimples are spreading to his chest a little bit. Fortunately it only bothers me.

I gave him a bath this afternoon, and I use Aveno baby soap and shampoo. Its super gentle so maybe that little bit of cleansing will help keep it from getting worse. 

Poor little guy also somehow got an absolutely awful case of diaper rash today. He was fine this morning, then he napped for 45 minutes. When I went to change his diaper, his junk, his entire butt, and his inner thighs were all red and irritated. He woke up just screaming bloody murder. Fortunately the bath followed by some Desitin put a stop to that.
  • If you're breastfeeding, when does your supply slow down or even out so you don't have to wear breastpads anymore?..if evet. Just curious to know how long I've got to depend on them/keep buying them. 
  • shines721shines721 member
    edited April 2017
    @MrsFlemingo I always wore them during the day because I was paranoid I would leak but wore them for multiple days.. especially with pumping at work. I definitely stopped wearing them at some point overnight once he was sleeping through the night. Sorry I don't have a direct timeline! 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I don't remember at all!! I was actually trying to remember because I'm still leaking like crazy too. Hah. 
  • It's so funny how you can't remember anything from your first!  I know I stopped wearing them eventually too but have no clue when! 
  • It's so funny how you can't remember anything from your first!  I know I stopped wearing them eventually too but have no clue when! 
    Right!? I have such a small age gap. I JUST did this with my 20mo old... but I've forgotten SO much. 
  • I think we block some of it out (the hard stuff) because if we remembered everything too clearly everyone would only have one baby! Haha!
    Most definitely!!
  • kjd291 said:
    I think we block some of it out (the hard stuff) because if we remembered everything too clearly everyone would only have one baby! Haha!
    Most definitely!!
    I mean... I don't even remember what I was doing three weeks ago with this one!!  :#
    BabyFetus Ticker

• shines721 said:
    kjd291 said:
    I think we block some of it out (the hard stuff) because if we remembered everything too clearly everyone would only have one baby! Haha!
    Most definitely!!
    I mean... I don't even remember what I was doing three weeks ago with this one!!  :#
    Ha...truth!!!
  • Where is @motherofdragons-2 ? Haven't seen her in a while.
  • @Ivorytower2
    His is definitely the worst its ever been. His whole face is red and broken out, and the pimples are spreading to his chest a little bit. Fortunately it only bothers me.

I gave him a bath this afternoon, and I use Aveno baby soap and shampoo. Its super gentle so maybe that little bit of cleansing will help keep it from getting worse. 

Poor little guy also somehow got an absolutely awful case of diaper rash today. He was fine this morning, then he napped for 45 minutes. When I went to change his diaper, his junk, his entire butt, and his inner thighs were all red and irritated. He woke up just screaming bloody murder. Fortunately the bath followed by some Desitin put a stop to that.
    I stopped using Aveeno on my son (who has really dry skin) after I real8see it's ingredients were pretty much identical to tyre other Johnson and Johnson baby soaps. We started buying Cetaphil and sometimes Aquaphor and his irritation cut way back. Our pediatrician gave us plentiful coupons, lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cbeanz said:
    Where is @motherofdragons-2 ? Haven't seen her in a while.
    What was her old username again?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina it was silverbulletband... Come to think of it, she hasn't been on the fb group recently either.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a baby to nap during the day? Dean sleeps really well at night. He only gets up once or twice and I have figured out how to get him back to sleep really quickly. But I can't get him to nap during the day for longer than 20 minutes. I've been trying to develop some sort of a routine with him, and its just not helping.