October 2017 Moms
Options

GKTY: religion

2»

Re: GKTY: religion

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What is your religion if any? I am a non-practicing christian. I believe in the general beliefs but not necessarily the details, and I don't attend church. 

Did you grow up with this religion/belief?  I grew up in the United Church of Canada which is a very liberal Protestant church. We went most Sundays and I was confirmed as a member at 15. 

Does SO share the same beliefs as you?  Yep. Also a non-practicing christian. 

Will you raise LO with it?  We don't attend church, so LO won't ether. If at some point, DS or this LO show and interest in religion (any religion) I will take him or her. We debated getting DS baptised, but in my church it is a promise to raise the child in the church. I couldn't promise that, so we did not. 

What if LO wants to follow the exact opposite of you?  How will you parent that?  I could care less what religion my children choose to practice, so long as they are good, kind, productive members of society. 
  • Options
    @Knottie1447173547 Look, agree to disagree I guess. You are simply continually phrasing things in a way that is easy to read as an insult. Continually.

If it were a one time thing or I was the only one noticing it then I would admit, its just me. At this point, girl, it's you. I'm just going to repeat the advice I gave you previously on the work vs SAHM thread... maybe actually think about what you are writing before you hit the post button.
    I think very clearly when I am talking about my own perspective and my own opinions. sorry to anyone that doesn't like what I have to say  but I have never bashed, bullied or directly insulted anyone on this board so if you're going to look into every single word that people right and feel insulted  by what they personally believe then that's your call I guess .That's not what I use this board for. Cheers
  • Options
    What is your religion if any?
    I'm vaguely Catholic.

Did you grow up with this religion/belief?
    Yes I grew up Catholic. My mom is super religious and my dad just somewhat.

Does SO share the same beliefs as you?
    He was also raised Catholic and minus college went to private Catholic schools all his life. But he identifies as an atheist.

Will you raise LO with it?
    I want our children baptized at minimum, but I know hubby won't really participate in going to church regularly. I stopped going years ago so I think it'll be a minor part of our lives.

What if LO wants to follow the exact opposite of you? how do you plan to parent that, if at all?
    What would the opposite really be? I believe in God and would like our children to believe and have faith, but I hated how religion was forced on me growing up. Hubby believes in science, so if LO doesn't agree with me then daddy can guide them. I want my children to know that there are many beliefs and all should be respected.
    Me: 28 | Him: 31
    Married: 11/12/16
    BFP: 02/09/17
    FTM | EDD: 10/13/17

Pregnancy Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm Christian, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod to be specific

I grew up Catholic, but became Lutheran when I married DH

YES, he is actually a vicar working towards becoming the pastor of our church

Yes we have been, actually one of the things I am most proud of as a parent is how well the older two (8 and 6) know God. 
    One of my personal pet peeves is when people insinuate that we are "forcing our religion on our children". Will you be teaching your child to read? Why are you forcing that on them? Because you know it is the best thing for them and will have substantial positive repercussions through their life. Replace reading with a love of God

What if LO wants to follow the exact opposite of you? how do you plan to parent that, if at all?
    I can't lie it would be disappointing. You would stop your child from running out into the street, why wouldn't you stop your child from spiritual ruin. If they were to become a different denomination of Christian I would be fine with that. Ultimately it is a personal choice that can't be forced, but I would be disappointed. 

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Yes we have been, actually one of the things I am most proud of as a parent is how well the older two (8 and 6) know God. 
    One of my personal pet peeves is when people insinuate that we are "forcing our religion on our children". Will you be teaching your child to read? Why are you forcing that on them? Because you know it is the best thing for them and will have substantial positive repercussions through their life. Replace reading with a love of God

I can't lie it would be disappointing. You would stop your child from running out into the street, why wouldn't you stop your child from spiritual ruin. If they were to become a different denomination of Christian I would be fine with that. Ultimately it is a personal choice that can't be forced, but I would be disappointed. 

I am not offended by your statements because I'm  confident in the decisions I've made in my life surrounding religion. But I do feel it could be offensive to some to use the phrase "spiritual ruin" as the opposite of being Christian.  Am I understanding your comment correctly? In the event that your child decides later life to not follow a religion I do hope that you have peace in knowing that many people who are not religious or not Christian are extremely spiritual  and have many other things that they turn to to guide them in life, provide comfort and help them to be a good ethical moral person in society :-) 
  • Options

I am not offended by your statements because I'm  confident in the decisions I've made in my life surrounding religion. But I do feel it could be offensive to some to use the phrase "spiritual ruin" as the opposite of being Christian.  Am I understanding your comment correctly? In the event that your child decides later life to not follow a religion I do hope that you have peace in knowing that many people who are not religious or not Christian are extremely spiritual  and have many other things that they turn to to guide them in life, provide comfort and help them to be a good ethical moral person in society :-) 
    I'm glad you aren't offended and I'm sorry to annyone I did offend.  I did try to think of a gentler way of saying that if you don't believe in God and that Jesus is God who saved you from your sins you are going to Hell, but I couldn't think of one. I guess that we can both take comfort in the fact that you don't believe in Heaven and Hell so it isn't really a problem for you. I'm not sure how to emphasize how important God is to someone who doesn't believe. He is the single most important thing in the universe. There is just no comparing him to anyone or anything else. 

You did understand me correctly in that if my children rejected God I believe that they would be wrong and missing something In their lives. Having God in your life is like having a precious friend and guiding parent who loves you infanantly more than any person. I wouldn't want my children to go without that, I don't want anyone to go without that!  I truely hope that one day you come to God and know Jesus as your savior because it is the greatest gift I could ever imagine. 

Now please don't imagine that I have lived a sheltered life where everyone I ever met or was friends with was a Christian, because that is just not true!  I don't assume you are dumb because you don't accept this simple truth, please don't assume that I am some backwater hick who has no life experience. 

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I'm glad you aren't offended and I'm sorry to annyone I did offend.  I did try to think of a gentler way of saying that if you don't believe in God and that Jesus is God who saved you from your sins you are going to Hell, but I couldn't think of one. I guess that we can both take comfort in the fact that you don't believe in Heaven and Hell so it isn't really a problem for you. I'm not sure how to emphasize how important God is to someone who doesn't believe. He is the single most important thing in the universe. There is just no comparing him to anyone or anything else. 

You did understand me correctly in that if my children rejected God I believe that they would be wrong and missing something In their lives. Having God in your life is like having a precious friend and guiding parent who loves you infanantly more than any person. I wouldn't want my children to go without that, I don't want anyone to go without that!  I truely hope that one day you come to God and know Jesus as your savior because it is the greatest gift I could ever imagine. 

Now please don't imagine that I have lived a sheltered life where everyone I ever met or was friends with was a Christian, because that is just not true!  I don't assume you are dumb because you don't accept this simple truth, please don't assume that I am some backwater hick who has no life experience. 
    No no I don't think you are a backwater hick or sheltered or anything:) your opinion is your opinion and that's what we are being asked on here. It just would seem unfortunate to me if a parent thought their child would be in spiritual ruin if they made a different choice. but I'm glad it brings so much to your life. I guess I just wanted to speak up as someone who certainly doesn't feel ruined. I have the love of my life, wonderful family relationships, meditation, yoga, singing, many things give me confidence and strength to handle life's challenges and bring me peace of mind daily. But again, to each their own.
  • Options
    What is your religion if any? Catholic
    Did you grow up with this religion/belief? No, though I went to Catholic school for two years but it was for academic reasons. 
    Does SO share the same beliefs as you? He was raised Catholic but had fallen away but returned when I entered the Church. 
    Will you raise LO with it? Absolutely. We attend as a family every Sunday and all of our kids have received the Sacraments as the come of age. 
    What if LO wants to follow the exact opposite of you? how do you plan to parent that, if at all? While they live with us, they will attend Mass with the family. We hope and pray that we have been setting a good example in living the Faith and they are being taught about their Faith (we homeschool) and why it's our family's belief. If they were to follow something else when they grow up, I would be upset and would be praying a lot but there's not much I could do at that point. 
  • Options
    @purplestarz  Growing up in Maryland, people just didn't talk about religion. It was considering strange and sort of rude to do so. Now I live in the mountains of North Carolina (mostly Baptist) and religion is very much an open part of life to most of the local people....people pray at gatherings, will ask you where you go to church, and will easily talk about Jesus. However, my friends who are "transplants" in the area, especially the "liberals", seem much less inclined to go to church unless it's something like the Unitarian Universalists. It's a really stark difference where I am. And then I'm stuck in the middle....locals can't understand how I can be a weirdo Catholic but consider myself a Christian and the transplants can't understand how I can follow something so archaic as the Catholic Church 
  • Options
    What is your religion if any? Catholic 

Did you grow up with this religion/belief? Yes, catholic school from pre-k through 12th grade. I was very active within my church's youth group in high school.

Does SO share the same beliefs as you? He was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools as well 

Will you raise LO with it? We baptized DD and will do the same with this LO but truthfully we havent started bringing her to weekly services mostly because we dont attend mass. This is something I'd like to change

What if LO wants to follow the exact opposite of you? how do you plan to parent that, if at all? I would be totally supportive in however she plans to live out her faith. I think religion provides a great moral path but I know plenty of moral people who don't believe in any religion.  I just want her to be a good person
  • Options
    joforyogajoforyoga member
    edited April 2017
    Myelhsa said:

@Knottie1447173547

I just want to make sure I'm clear on how this works.

So, if someone calls YOU out on something you've said that that could be offensive, were mean and "reading into everything you write".

But when you call *someone else* out on something that could be offensive, that's totally fine and you get an apology?

Ill just be over hear waiting for my apology for when you insinuated that working moms don't raise their kids and people who believe in God don't subscribe to science.

@natleilynn Can you insert the skeleton waiting on a bench meme here?
    I did apologize for using the word "raise":) her comment wasn't so much an insinuation or  you had to read into, it was a directly negative insult to anyone who's not Christian.  To be honest I couldn't believe that no one had called her out immediately given how quickly everyone gets called out around here and hers was so blatant.  But again her I had a nice little chat about it and it's all good so I'm not sure your beef is.doesnt really make sense to me that everyone else can do that but the one time I wanted to debate a little or offer an other perspective on someone's view I'm not allowed? I've been on here for years and have been called out for offending only twice so just let it goooo. 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm sure it was super hard not to say offensive things when 75%+ of your posts before joining this BMB were on the Baby Names board.
    No im prettybeasy going about baby names but there certainly are a lot of strong opinions over there too:)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Myelhsa said:
    Myelhsa said:

@Knottie1447173547

I just want to make sure I'm clear on how this works.

So, if someone calls YOU out on something you've said that that could be offensive, were mean and "reading into everything you write".

But when you call *someone else* out on something that could be offensive, that's totally fine and you get an apology?

Ill just be over hear waiting for my apology for when you insinuated that working moms don't raise their kids and people who believe in God don't subscribe to science.

@natleilynn Can you insert the skeleton waiting on a bench meme here?
    I did apologize for using the word "raise":) her comment wasn't so much an insinuation or  you had to read into, it was a directly negative insult to anyone who's not Christian.  To be honest I couldn't believe that no one had called her out immediately given how quickly everyone gets called out around here and hers was so blatant.  But again her I had a nice little chat about it and it's all good so I'm not sure your beef is.doesnt really make sense to me that everyone else can do that but the one time I wanted to debate a little or offer an other perspective on someone's view I'm not allowed? I've been on here for years and have been called out for offending only twice so just let it goooo. 
    You were able to have a little debate because the person that you were talking to was mature enough to say, "I'm sorry, I can see how that could have been hurtful."

If @jessafishy and I were afforded that same luxury when we talked to you, we probably would've just had a little debate and moved on as well. However, you obviously lack the ability to admit you were wrong. 

My "beef" is that instead of trying to mesh along with the people on this board, you get defensive when called out but find it OK to call out others.

Kettle, meet pot. Pot, meet kettle.
    She did apologize but was also pretty stern about her views opposingnto mine and still we were both mature and civil, able to have a conversation. Isn't that nice? This is a little high school drama for me. I'm not defensive at all. I don't make a habit of apologizing for things I didn't say or mean. So by explaining that that was not what I meant , we should be able to move on. I don't really have the negative energy in me for this so that's all for me. No hardbfeelings:) We just don't understand each other but you I both both have a lot of other people who get us and who we click with so it's all good. 
  • Options
    @natleilynn Can I request a "let it go" gif?