May 2017 Moms

The cesarean section thread

2»

Re: The cesarean section thread

• @chailife34 - I don't know the answer to most of your questions, first-timer. But was wondering if you thought about watching some c-section videos on Youtube. (Warning: some are more graphic than others.) I don't know if it would help you, but it helped to take some of the mystery out it for me. Seeing other women go through the process made it feel more "normal" (lack of a better word). Just a thought.

I also found a Cesarean Birth Class video. My hospital didn't offer one. It's a slide show, nothing graphic. Some of what they teach is specific to that hospital but I found a lot of it helpful. 
  • Loading the player...
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @MrsFreeman2010: Your insight is super helpful, thank you! I may end up in this camp if I can't get this one turned around, so I am trying to learn as much as I can. FX & Thx!
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @rkstro2: Also super helpful!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write that all out.  :)
  • @chailife34 you have already been given great advice. I was not prepared for my unplanned CS with DD, so I'm glad you're taking the time to prepare yourself. One thing that I wish someone would have told me, was that CS babies don't always cry right away. I had a mild freak out when I didn't hear her crying. 
  • @chailife34 what helped me when I was super anxious was all the OR small talk. It's hardly a bunch of silent stone faced folks in there. I talked about baby names and what we all wanted for dinner while I was getting prepped and my CRNA was great and walked me through everything that was going on so it wasn't so mysterious on the other side of the curtain. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @chailife34
    Amniotic fluid gets suctioned out. The spinal does feel like a big bee sting but then everything gets tingly and warm and numb and you won't feel a thing. It can cause your BP to drop as @slowmo said, so they will watch you carefully. I got a little lightheaded and the anesthesiologist gave me meds twice to bring my BP back up but otherwise it was no big deal. I didn't need blood and only had one IV.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @chailife34 - All of the advice above is awesome.  I just wanted to add that I will be having two IVs to have one for blood, which I think the team is doing more for my anxiety as I'm not necessarily at risk for anything happening again.  I hemorrhaged during my unplanned CS, but we didn't quite realize how much it was until my blood tests came back. And I'm stubborn and insisted I was fine and ended up not getting transfusions until day six when a lovely nurse told me she was surprised I was able to walk around, and if I passed out at home and had to come back and get a transfusion, I would be without my baby.  I got the two transfusions and felt like a million bucks!!  

So bottom line - I wish I would have gotten it immediately, and yea for extra precautions with your team!
  • MTB16MTB16 member
    With baby in a breech position we now have a c section on the table as an option and I am 100% not onboard with that - I'm so glad to read that I'm not alone in feeling that! 

My major concerns/questions are around recovery (obviously much more difficult and longer than vaginal delivery) and about the lack of skin to skin time and horrific time I'm sure to have trying to nurse after having been sliced open.  

Did any of our scheduled C moms have skin to skin immediately after they yank out baby or were actually able to nurse especially with the narcotics they give is it even advisable to try?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @MTB16 I think skin to skin after a c-section depends on each case and if your doctor/hospital is willing. At my hospital, they say you can do immediately skin to skin after a c-section if everything is alright with both mom and baby. However, if they need to take the baby to the nicu or the mom ends up needing an emergency c-section (and thus gets put completely under), they don't do immediate skin to skin. I'd just talk to your doctors about their rules.
  • @MTB16 we didn't do immediate skin to skin after my first but I was able to nurse. I know some hospitals offer skin to skin though but it's certainly not the end of the world.

I ended up not taking any narcotics and stayed on top of my Motrin and got by alright. Don't stress the meds before anything even happens!I definitely benfitted from using a nursing pillow at first since it was a little extra uncomfortable trying to get positioned but really establishing breastfeeding is a bit of a blur anyway so I wouldn't consider it a major hurdle, you just maybe do things differently at first. 

I met with the hospital LC and a private one we hired and neither ever said anything along the lines that a cesarean contraindicated breastfeeding. It certainly is not a stance taken by my doctor or ACOG either so I wouldn't stress. 

It is still very possible and very common, you just find what works for you. 

May '17 labor memes
  • SKZWSKZW member
    Re: the immediate skin-to-skin thing: Maybe float the idea to your SO about him doing it if you are unable/groggy? Is that something you'd both be comfy with?
  • @MTB16 after my first, who was an unplanned CS, I did not get immediate skin-to-skin. I have been very vocal with my doctor that I want the baby as soon as it is out this time. His only concern is the risk of infection because I will still be open on the table and once the baby is out they have been "contaminated". As long as the sheet is up there shouldn't be a problem. 

As for recovery, I may be a SS, but my recovery so was so easy and pain free. I only took Tylenol once after surgery and was up walking as soon as I could. Walking quickly definitely helped I think. But everyone is different, so don't push yourself too hard. 

Nursing was fine. I just put a couple of pillows in my lap to protect my incision and prop baby up. 
  • @MTB16 - I pushed for 1.5 hours before heading for a C with my first, and I was so exhausted there's no way I could have held him! I have asked about skin-to-skin this time and was told that - at my hospital - it really depends who you have on the 'baby team' in the operating room. They made it sound like some are much more likely to facilitate that, while some are more 'by the book' and just want to get their boxes checked off. I would definitely make my wishes known so you'll have the best chance of getting what you want. 

It was very late at night when I was in the recovery area, and I couldn't tell you how long it had been since DS was born when I got the chance to try breastfeeding. However, it went pretty well! He latched right on, and we didn't have many issues with that while we were in the hospital. Two lactation consultants visited with us, and they were FULL of information. I WILL SAY, the biggest problem we had with nursing is that it took a LONG time for my milk to come in. He was born on a Tuesday, and I don't even know if it was in by the end of the weekend. I did have to supplement with with formula for a few days (honestly, I wish I'd done it sooner), but once it came in we were off to the races! 
  • SKZW said:
    Re: the immediate skin-to-skin thing: Maybe float the idea to your SO about him doing it if you are unable/groggy? Is that something you'd both be comfy with?

I've never had a csection but I've been following this thread because you never know what will happen! 
    But my immediate concern/question with DH doing skin to skin in the operating room is that I would assume the staff would not be ok with it because the operating room is sterile and the dad's have to be in a gown. Again, I could be completely wrong! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • SKZW said:
    My husband did it after our son was born. I took some time in the OR because I was bleedy and full of heavy sedatives and once they weighed baby and took him out of the OR he went with him and they snuggled skin to skin in the recovery room. I'd say it was only a 5-10 minute lag? I on the other hand didn't hold him for hours after so it was nice for the two of them. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @MTB16 - My CS wasn't planned with DS (SO looking forward to a nice calm planned one this time :)), but despite that, DH did skin-to-skin with DS right away (until I had some complications and then they left the room for a bit) as I was getting sick and couldn't have him on me. But as soon as I was in the recovery room, we tried nursing right away.  I have nothing to compare recovery to, but even despite complications, I was expecting it to be way worse than it ended up being!  As long as I stayed up on my meds, I don't remember any pain - just a little discomfort and some weakness in my core. 
  • MTB16MTB16 member
    Thanks everyone! Your experiences are definitely encouraging!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers