2nd Trimester

body image freak out!

Hi everyone! I'm a first time mom-to-be in my 30s. Over the past 2 years I lost over 65 lbs through diet and excercise. I'm 16 weeks and starting to gain weight and a bump and freak out about my changing body. I do not want to go back to being obese. My diet has been more lax since finding out, mostly bc I initially lost about 8 lbs. Anyone else freaking out over their body changes?

Re: body image freak out!

• rue:Drue:D member
    I have some of the same feelings, I lost almost 40 pounds on Weight Watchers although I had gained some back. Had planned to go back to WW after a friend's visit and found out I was pregnant instead! I'm just trying to tell myself that this is temporary, and if I lost it once - well, I damn sure can do it again!
  • Wow. I really needed to read this at this exact moment. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Loading the player...
  • It's hard. I agree with @TacoSarah. Half the time I love my pregnant body and half the time I feel gross and am really weirded out by it. I got my first vericose vein yesterday. And my ribcage has expanded a ton - I feel so top heavy. I already had wide shoulders to start. I think that many of these changes will stick around after the baby is born, and that scares me too. My body hasn't changed much since high school so this is going to get some taking used to.
    CafeMom Tickers

• I freak out sometimes but it doesn't help that when I went to my WIC office they humiliated me about my weight , luckily I had a dr app the next day and he was very encouraging ! Enjoy this beautiful time ladies :) after the baby comes the weight can be lost :)
  • Me too! We tried to take a picture for Facebook and I had a huge freak out and deleted all of them and cried.
    I am very self critical and I am struggling with the gain. I know its for a great cause. Most days I feel beautiful, but then I see a picture and think I look like I did before I lost all the weight. I think I'll feel better when it sticks out more and looks less like I have been binge eating pizza.
  • I had my first cry yesterday when I was in a fitting room.  I took one look at my body and saw the dimpled side of my boobs and saw a body that wasn't me.  my husband thought i over reacted but I feel like I had the right to cry. LOL.  I guess i wasn't ready to see changes so early on.
  • I sympathise.. I keep thinking about all the work im going to do getting my body back into shape after this baby is born, so much so im not enjoying being pregnant because I can't wait for it to be over.. I feel really sad about it and guilty that I'm worrying so much! As long as you don't overeat and use it as an excuse to eat bad foods then you should be ok getting whatever weight you gain off once baby is here.. You'll be able to do it again if you've done it before, stay positive and just enjoy your beautifuly changing baby body
  • I sympathise.. I keep thinking about all the work im going to do getting my body back into shape after this baby is born, so much so im not enjoying being pregnant because I can't wait for it to be over.. I feel really sad about it and guilty that I'm worrying so much! As long as you don't overeat and use it as an excuse to eat bad foods then you should be ok getting whatever weight you gain off once baby is here.. You'll be able to do it again if you've done it before, stay positive and just enjoy your beautifuly changing baby body
  • I can totally relate. I'm 24 weeks and my belly is finally very pronounced. And even though I've only gained 2 pounds I feel really self conscious. I had to go get a dress for a wedding and found myself crying. Between the hormones and body changes I think it's totally normal, and we just have to remember how amazing what we are doing is, and how important our growth is
  • I also lost a bunch of weight before getting pregnant, and was initially struggling with feeling like I was gaining it back. However, it helps me to think about how much worse it would be if I had gotten pregnant without losing the weight first! You're much better of this way, and if you lost the weight once you can do it again.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My boobs are pissing me off. I went from a small B to a D and I'm 13 weeks. 

They hurt, they're weird. It's like hitting puberty all over again. I'm very pissed off about it.
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited June 2015
    star8627 said:
    I feel like I'm at an awkward stage where it just looks like a big roll of fat.
    Yup. I look about 5 months along now because i have a disorder that causes a lot of gas NORMALLY. So you can imagine what's going on inside my body right now. Normally i'm on a restricted diet (no starches, no corn, no beans, no peanuts or cashews and it goes on from there) to manage my symptoms but that diet is not safe for pregnancy so i am severely symptomatic PLUS getting pregnancy gas on top of it PLUS experiencing constant constipation which makes it even worse. It's not just ugly and uncomfortable to have a big gassy stomach it's extraordinarily painful ALL THE TIME. 

And the boobs hurt all the time.

I'm really not liking being pregnant anymore :( I'm sorry.. I get why you're all feeling frustrated but my growing body is literally so painful I am still having trouble eating which is scary as hell. 
  • This is totally normal. My first pregnancy was a surprise and I was not mentally prepared for the physical changes. This time around, I thought that it would be better since I kind of knew what to expect. Well...I'm excited about my growing bump, but not loving the way that clothes are fitting my transitioning body. I think we will all feel better once the bump is definite.
  • binpobinpo member
    I went for shopping today and had freak out on body image. Was shopping for bras, was looking at 32 DD and had to come home with 32 G.
  • I lost 4 Stone and have been paranoid about getting fat and not just prego. I'm ok with having a bump but I still want thin arms and legs. Still trying to exercise but I can't go as hard as I used to. Light exercise only. I'm not so much watching the food but I'm trying not to eat for two but at the same time thinking this is the one time it is acceptable haha! Breastfeeding is 500 calories a time and my mum said if you breastfeed you can get your body back in about 3 months and I'm thinking I'll be going on walks around the park pushing a pram around! I like to think if I've done it before I can do it again! Just don't eat loads and try to walk as much as possible. I've got some size 8 jeans I wanna fit back into next year!!! Ballooned to a size 12 already and only just in second tri
  • I am in the same boat lost 50 lbs and I'm 15 weeks tomorrow didn't gain much yet maybe 3 lbs. However I am still walking and trying to eat like I was while not pregnant. If you stay active and dedicated you should gain less and be able to lose easier after your pregnancy. I'm going to embrace this. It's my fourth and last.
  • I second the boobs comment. I had a meltdown yesterday because they had gotten so big, and are starting to sag. Ahhh this cannot happen! Plus I Am worried they will sag worse once they are not so full. Sigh....
  • I have been keeping up my exercise routine, 6 days a week of Zumba and 2-3 yoga classes week. I teach so if I'm not there I don't get paid. I notice I can go as hard and I definitely have to modify yoga. So far it's all belly and I've been trying to continue eating well but I am more willing to give in to some temptation. I'm just hoping I can burn it off once this baby comes.
  • I've been the same. I've always been thin, and only struggled with my weight once in my life and lost the weight. I've always been afraid of gaining any little bit back and I know it's just part of it, but body changes are definitely something to come to terms with. Just praying for healthy baby and pregnancy and that I'm able to loose it all quickly! :)
  • I hate being pregnant now
    I'm 15 wks pregnant belly big looks like 6 months pregnant, boobs hurt, full of gas, hate to be touched, feeling insecure, very swollen
    I've gained about 15 pounds already and I hope I don't gain much weigh my 1st pregnancy
    I don't know why I'm gaining weight fast when I only eat healthy foods, exercise; can't wait until December so I can feel normal again
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited July 2015
    Actually you DO need to worry about your weight. You're not supposed to gain too much. It is unhealthy. But you need to gain enough or it's also not good.

So you DO have to worry about what you're eating. Both to be sure you're getting enough but not too much AND the right stuff.
  • Reading this makes me feel some what at ease... I'm 16 weeks but somdays I feel alot bigger and look bigger ... My boobs have more than doubled in size and my clothes are beginning to be to tight I feel like it's to early to buy maternity clothes... But feel I don't have a choice...
  • My belly has popped out over the past week or so and I thought I'd be happy-- but I just feel like more of a whale. Now it's obvious I'm pregnant, but all I can see/focus on is my new upper thigh flab and the thickness of my side waist/back fat. I'm really not loving my new body. And my husband just loves to comment on how giant my boobs are already. I'm dreading to see how big they actually get near the end, if according to him they're now "torpedo" size.
  • @alisoninda I can relate. I'm only 15 weeks & my husband already talks about my giant boobs. I also am already self conscious of the back fat & some love handles, and yesterday I put on a shirt & took it back off bc I thought it made my arms look fat.

My husband gets really upset w me making comments about me "getting fat" & keeps saying how I'm PREGNANT. I'm just not used to this though. Today I had a breakdown thinking about stretch marks.
  • Definitely can relate! I'm 15 weeks and in the weird in between stage where I just have a flabby gut, which I haven't had in years due to healthy diet and exercise. Yes I've been giving in to temptation more but I wouldn't say I've overdone the bad eating or portion-wise been "eating for two." I haven't even gained more than a couple pounds- just seeing my shape changing has been tough.

What drives me nuts is when I'm having a low moment my husband just says I should try to eat better! I just wish he would simply remind me this is normal and part of the process.
  • I'm so glad I saw this today I've been pretty much the same size give or take 5 lbs since high school. I'm 35 now. And it's weird to not be in control of anything happening to my body. I can't work out as much and I'm just tired. So my weight hasn't changed much but my body fat% definitely has. I know it's all logical. It's that stage where I just feel fat. Not cute and pregnant. The bump isn't defined enough I guess. Just looks like I stopped working out and ate pizza every day.  
  • run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so glad I saw this today I've been pretty much the same size give or take 5 lbs since high school. I'm 35 now. And it's weird to not be in control of anything happening to my body. I can't work out as much and I'm just tired. So my weight hasn't changed much but my body fat% definitely has. I know it's all logical. It's that stage where I just feel fat. Not cute and pregnant. The bump isn't defined enough I guess. Just looks like I stopped working out and ate pizza every day.  
    You know this thread is from 11 months ago.
  • mayischmayisch member

Well Ladies... I'm 17w, pear shaped body, super small waist and big butt, I am also like 30pounds above my ideal weight, so hell I am scared about gaining more weight and looking like a clown, with big butt and big bump...  :(

So far I've lost around 8 pounds bc I am trying to eat healthy, and then the morning sickness, and by now I'm with a little more energy  so I plan to start walking or something.

I have always struggled with my weight and I know I will gain some but I really really hope not to gain that much, So I am right with you...

It's good to know I am not alone :)

• Shima42Shima42 member
    edited July 2016
    I feel for everyone in this thread.  In a way, I'm ahead of the curve because I realized a few years ago that my appearance would never again be to my advantage.  A woman's appearance only really contributes to her survival if she's rich (can afford the best clothes) or young.  I am neither, and because metabolism ages with skin, I will never have a skinny body unless I spend an insane amount of time on it.  It's extremely unfair that we're taught that we are worthless unless we look a certain way.  In fact, it has been part of my journey into feminism to realize that feeling bad about my appearance is just giving in to a world that tells me that women are worth less if they're not 'attractive.'  I do want to be a lower weight, but I want it so that I can tie my shoes and clip my toenails comfortably.  I have decided that playing the 'attractive' game does no one any good.

• I'm so glad that this post has resurfaced as I was getting extremely frustrated with some of the posts recently. In some ways I feel as though it is a competition or boast fest about gaining the least amount of weight. While I understand that gaining excessive weight is problematic, weight gain is a part of pregnancy and growing a human being! The amount of extra blood in our bodies is 2 pounds alone. It's unfair to make comments about how gaining more than 15 pounds is excessive, every person and pregnancy is different and we need to support, respect, and assist one another through this massive, exciting, sometimes confusing life event. At 25 weeks I've continued to do Crossfit 4-5 days a week but my butt and thighs have expanded beyond the majority of my workout shorts lol most days I feel strong, beautiful, and in amazement at what my body is doing but at times I feel fat, wobbly and in shock at what I see in the mirror lol I guess what I'm saying is that my hope is that we support one another, guide one another and make one another feel empowered and not put one another down or tell others what is too much weight. Rant over lol
    Michelle
  • I definitely can relate to every bit of this. I'm 19 weeks, have gained 8-10 pounds-- and didn't have morning sickness, so none lost there! Every time I see my body in the mirror I cringe-- especially at my breasts. It's a nasty jolt. They're HUGE. 36D to 38E in not time at all, and I'm already rather barrel-chested, wide-shouldered and not exactly shapely so needless to say I'm not looking like Blake Lively while pregnant. 

I recently lost about 50 pounds and have struggled with weight and body all my life-- to the point of resorting to some very unhealthy measures to slough it off. I did work out 4x a week before my pregnancy, but its high risk so I've been advised to slow down. I don't exercise to lose or maintain weight as that simply doesn't work for me-- I diet. Hardcore, sometimes. And now I don't have that option and I feel really helpless about how my body's changing.  

I'm thrilled about this pregnancy because its my first after years of infertility and a myomectomy, but the changes in my body are hard to take. I was the leanest I've ever been before falling pregnant and watching the muscle slowly soften to fat isn't fun. I ran into one of my co-workers who was all, "haven't seen you in the gym a lot lately," and he looked me up and down very pointedly and I just went to my office and cried. I'm not showing *quite* enough to be obviously pregnant yet. He knew me when I was heavy and has always been very complimentary of how much weight I lost. I had a big stomach before I lost weight. I know it's vain and disgusting but I was just so horrified at the thought that he might think I'm getting heavy again and be disgusted by it.  :(

I'm glad I got this off my chest, even though I now feel like a terrible person, lol. Best wishes that we all deliver healthily and safely!  <3
  • Isn't the subject still relevant, though? Didn't realize this was a no around here. Sorry mate
  • I lost 4 Stone and have been paranoid about getting fat and not just prego. I'm ok with having a bump but I still want thin arms and legs. Still trying to exercise but I can't go as hard as I used to. Light exercise only. I'm not so much watching the food but I'm trying not to eat for two but at the same time thinking this is the one time it is acceptable haha! Breastfeeding is 500 calories a time and my mum said if you breastfeed you can get your body back in about 3 months and I'm thinking I'll be going on walks around the park pushing a pram around! I like to think if I've done it before I can do it again! Just don't eat loads and try to walk as much as possible. I've got some size 8 jeans I wanna fit back into next year!!! Ballooned to a size 12 already and only just in second tri

Your body type matters in reverence to how fast you "get your body back" breastfeeding outs exhausting and while you are burning calories,  your diet is upwards of 2000+ calories to compensate for the milk production.  You'll have a flab of skin,  a pooch, and an awful body image after the baby

• This thread is from 2 years ago..