July 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    I don't get the chemical free / med-free / crunchy mama thing whatsoever. I can't fathom what advantage those people think their kid is going to have over mine... Plus it's so much extra work!
    Not to mention $$$! I am happy over here with my chemicals and my money, TYVM. I don't even buy organic produce very often. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CPR79CPR79 member
    AdaByron said:
    I give/gave zero shits about April the giraffe. I think the people who have spent a month watching her pace in her stall to see the birth are crazy. If you want to see a giraffe give birth, YouTube that shit.
    I really hope that's not actually unpopular, because I completely agree with you and worry about making mom-friends IRL when this LO is born if most people watched that obsessively. 
  • Options
    I get crunchier with each kid lol. I never thought about it before my first, and then she was here and I had major anxiety about pesticides and processed food/ artificial colors and flavors and what health problems they could cause. And it spiraled from there ha. I figure if I'm wrong, no harm no foul... but if there's a chance they do cause the things I've read about then I'd rather be safe. 

I'm definitely not somebody following food babe or whatever, but my anxiety over my kids health dictates what I'm comfortable with at home. Although I'm waivering on my no pesticides rule as spiders the size of my head are showing up in my house all of the sudden.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DcwtadaDcwtada member
    edited April 2017
    @AdaByron perhaps I am out of the loop but I didn't think there was vilification of the "breast is best" camp, if anything, the exact opposite. I am completely for educating and encouraging breast feeding. I did it myself. I am against judgement or pushing breastfeeding to the point moms won't even talk about it or feel guilty/ashamed if they have to formula feed. 

I have two people I love dearly who I have witnessed being criticized (not this friend actually) for not breastfeeding. The whole thing obviously left a bad taste in my mouth. My family accused a cousin of not doing it because she didn't want to ruin her body but what they didnt know she couldn't keep up a supply no matter what she did and was devastated. 

ETA: I agree @PurplePumpernickel - the idea supporting a cause or stance means you don't support or care about another is the worst logic ever. 
  • Options
    @Dcwtada I wasn't talking about your comment, I don't think you said anything disrespectful. Just in general, if someone showed up here talking about how great BM is for your baby, a lot of people would be quick to flame them for being insensitive to people who struggle. I also support breastfeeding, but I feel like if I ever say something about it, I have to qualify it with "of course it's ok to supplement/switch to formula if it doesn't work for you!" And there are well-meaning people who want to encourage a new mother to not give up on BF, but they'll be seen as crazy crunchies who are pushing an agenda.

TBH, a lot of times when I hear stories about people being judged/attacked/criticized for their feeding choice I take it with a grain of salt and assume it's a bit exaggerated due to the mother's sensitivity or insecurity over her choices. 
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 I never saw it that way, to me it seemed like formula feeding was only a step up from not feeding at all but I definitely see your point. 
  • Options
    I don't get the chemical free / med-free / crunchy mama thing whatsoever. I can't fathom what advantage those people think their kid is going to have over mine... Plus it's so much extra work!
    H has a physical condition associated with phthalate exposure in the womb, which is one of the things that started me down the rabbit hole. I heard this Maya Angelou quote applied to the low-toxin/"chemical-free" approach (at a dissertation for someone studying the effects of phthalate exposure in pregnant women on the developing fetus): "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." 

Med-free is just a personal choice for me. I don't want any needles in my back unless medically necessary, but I don't think my child will have an advantage over someone who had an epidural. 

Flame away haha!

I also have gotten crunchier as I've gotten older @nikkiandchris! I agree it's just about what you feel comfortable with. I try not to go super-overboard, but my personality tends in that direction. 

@PurplePumpernickel I'm not directly associated with this, but there are people in my building and the next building over doing research on endocrine disruptors and obesogenic compounds. I can't listen to them for very long without getting freaked out! One of the suspected obesogens is a homogenizer used in Colase. 
  • Options
    I'm behind the "fed is best" only because it's so damn simple, yet most of the time we are so caught up with BREAST BREAST BREAST AT ALL COSTS that hearing fed is best is kind of like...oh...yeah...it really is that simple. However I feed this child works. Sometimes just keeping it simple is the best and easiest way to get a point across to a struggling mama who feels like they are not doing all they can for their child and that they are not "enough". 
    this times 100000.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know a lot of others have posted being offended by this, so I'm assuming my opinion will be unpopular.  I'm not at all offended when strangers, or family, or friends, touch my big pregnant belly.  I think its weird, sure, but I don't get pissed off.  The woman who cleans the building I work in just ran up to me in the hall and rubbed my stomach.  I have literally said only "hello" to this woman for the past 6 months to the year she's worked here. I actually thought it was a nice way to finally have a conversation with her. I know people only do it because they are excited about the prospect of a baby.  And they don't see it as an invasion of my personal space.
    May I please use you as a stand-in whenever I am around my mother/MIL then?

I'm glad it doesn't bother you. I'd be livid if someone didn't ask me. 
  • Options
    I know a lot of others have posted being offended by this, so I'm assuming my opinion will be unpopular.  I'm not at all offended when strangers, or family, or friends, touch my big pregnant belly.  I think its weird, sure, but I don't get pissed off.  The woman who cleans the building I work in just ran up to me in the hall and rubbed my stomach.  I have literally said only "hello" to this woman for the past 6 months to the year she's worked here. I actually thought it was a nice way to finally have a conversation with her. I know people only do it because they are excited about the prospect of a baby.  And they don't see it as an invasion of my personal space.
    ...But they are wrong!?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @GlitterFish - Yes, I completely agree that they shouldn't do it. I just don't think its worth getting all worked up over.  I've never had anyone do it with the intent of upsetting me, they are usually just so excited.  But I agree, it does not make it right.

@PurplePumpernickel - Sure!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ...But they are wrong!?
    Also, there are other ways to show excitement... and also, WHY are they excited? I get close family but relative strangers or coworkers shouldn't really be that excited for a semi-random baby, should they? 
  • Options
     I am somewhat in the same camp as you. I have only had a few people ask if they could touch, never without permission, but I always have said that it's okay. I am actually kind of proud of my bump, so I don't mind if someone draws attention to it. I could definitely see how it would be different if I was uncomfortable or self-conscious about it, or if it was a completely random person (I.e. in the grocery store), so I see why it is a problem for some people. My experiences, thankfully, have been positive so far, so I do not mind it when it happens.
  • Options
    I think the unicorn frappicino is a stupid, probably gross tasting marketing ploy by Starbucks to sell more product, but I think the parents freaking out about the nutritional facts are stupid. It's Starbucks. Nothing is healthy there and no one is forcing you to buy the damn thing. Plus, did we not just come off of a holiday where we just gave our kids a basket filled with candy? Don't be a hypocrite. If you don't want one, don't buy one. 
    yes! Also all of the fitness people that have their own Facebook and Instagram pages making videos ranting about how unhealthy it is. I truly don't think anyone buying the unicorn drink believes it is healthy and telling someone they will get diabetes from buying one drink is ridiculous. I won't be buying one because it sounds disgusting but each to their own.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    oheliza44 said:
    MrsLa3 said:
    I think all babies/kids should be vaccinated. 
    And vaccinated on time. I'm in the process of finding a pediatrician and it is imperative that all the patients at a practice are not only vaccinated, but vaccinations are administered pursuant to the suggested timelines and not "spaced out".

ETA- if this is an unpopular opinion, lord help us. Measles is no joke. 
    I could undestand a delayed vaccination for a medical reason only. There are people who use religion and other reasons as a way out, my pedi wouldn't accept non vaccinated children, and if they've been delayed they have to have those vaccines the first visit or according to how they have to be spaced out. 
  • Options
    I think the unicorn frappicino is a stupid, probably gross tasting marketing ploy by Starbucks to sell more product, but I think the parents freaking out about the nutritional facts are stupid. It's Starbucks. Nothing is healthy there and no one is forcing you to buy the damn thing. Plus, did we not just come off of a holiday where we just gave our kids a basket filled with candy? Don't be a hypocrite. If you don't want one, don't buy one. 
    And that the picture floating around with the sugar content is for a venti - who in their right mind thinks ANY venti frappucino is low in sugar? The unicorn frappe actually has less sugar than Sbux's regular Java Chip frappucino. Why the big deal? If you want to drink it, then drink it. If you don't, then don't. I drink them on occasion as a treat and I really don't give a crap on the sugar content when I enjoy said treat. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Options
    Well, I guess my UO is that I am practicing with hypnobirth and love it! I am hoping to go med free, and not because I think it makes me better than anyone or somehow gives my child an advantage. I'm not really sure why you'd think that, but it's your UO! 

I'm a planner. It's who I am. Hypnobirth has given me confidence and has eased my anxieties about childbirth. To me, it's worth it. I haven't spent a lot of money other than an audio book and a couple of CDs. It does require prep work, but that doesn't bother me because preparing is something I do. 

I dont go crazy with the chemical free and organic food, but I do eat healthy and plan to feed my child in a similar manner. Yes, it can be a lot of work at times, and sometimes I'm better at it than others, but I love feeling healthy and strong. Again, this has nothing to do with you or anyone else. It's just what makes me happy. 
  • Options
    @NutellaToast What do you play/sing, mama?!  I'm also not a huge fan of encores but I typically do one when it's expected.  My rule is that it has to be under 2 and a half minutes and hilariously funny so that people at least leave smiling!

I'm not very crunchy but I have a couple of pretty crunchy friends who are awesome and they inspire me to try new things.  I appreciate that they gave me ideas without being judgy or obnoxious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yessss. I just cannot imagine not wanting to be in a hospital in case something goes wrong. And pain relief is something that can enable you to actually enjoy your birth experience. If I go med-free, it will only be because I had a higher pain threshold than I realized and waited too long to get something.

I'm just worried I'll unintentionally click on the Med-free thread and feel compelled to keep clicking on it to make the unread post indicator go away... and I might accidentally read things there!!!
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    @lph4248 If I go med free this time it's by accident. I know myself and I know I don't have the strength that I see women possess on a daily basis at work. I am literally in awe when I'm with a patient doing it med free for their first baby. I love it. Women are so powerful...I am not. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.