Any milestones hit?

Tell us about sleep, nighttime and naps-

Weight and length?

How are YOU feeling?

Questions or concerns?

Re: Five Month Check-In

• Options
    When does/did baby turn five months? It was the 6th of March

Any milestones hit? I've been terrible at keeping track of these things. She can roll over, has pretty good neck control. Started porridge (on pediatricians recc). Loves "talking"

Tell us about sleep, nighttime and naps- Because of her heart condition she's burns through calories so quickly. We are still up every 2-3 hrs at night to nurse, but otherwise sleeps well at night. She is a terrible napper because she has miserable FOMO. 

Weight and length? 5.2 kg (11lbs 4 oz ish) and here they dont measure length....

How are YOU feeling? I'm pretty sure she's gotten croup, which is making her miserable so that makes me miserable. But honestly she is such a good baby overall that I feel really lucky. We are learning how to make adjustments to living life with her but I feel pretty good most of the time.
    Questions or concerns?
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Options
    When does/did baby turn five months?
    He turned 5 months on February 27th.

Any milestones hit?
    Dude has been rolling back and forth for a while, now he has figured out he can use that skill to get around, so he's officially semi-mobile. We'll start solids at the end of this month.

I'm not trying to rub it in, but he sleeps great.

Weight and length?
    26" 13.5 lbs- pretty sure he's going to be one of the 6' something" viking behemoths that hail from his father's side. And poor Jimmy inherited my hobbit genes... 

How are YOU feeling?
    If we're being honest here- unstable. Nor at the fault of anybody else, but I am just having the absolute worst time keeping myself under control. I've been doing okay the last couple days I guess. I hate feeling like a raving lunatic.

Questions or concerns?
    I'm starting to suspect this birth control implant is to blame for my irrationality. Everytime I have one of these weird off/on/off/on two week 'periods', I am at my absolute worst as a human being. I've never had PMS or been like this in my entire life and I hate it. 
    At least all my wonderful babes are happy and healthy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @allythekid sorry things are so hard. I have heard a lot of things about the implant really messing with emotions. I hope things can get sorted out soon, whether you hormones can regulate or if you have to have it removed. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • Options
    He turned five months on March 7th

Any milestones hit?
    He can roll over from belly to back easily and sometimes from back to belly. 

Struggling big time with sleeping during the night time. He has been going to bed around 10 pm in his crib and wakes up at midnight and wont go back to sleep unless he is in his swing. Then he will wake up to eat at 3 am and again at 6 am. He does really good with naps during the day.

Weight and length?
    15.8 lbs, I don't remember the his length but his is in 9 month clothing right now.

How are YOU feeling?
    Not my best at this time, my relationship with my husband has gone down hill since having baby #3. 

Questions or concerns?
    Any tips on sleeping at night?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BabySunshine4 a few of us on here are also on team #nosleepatnight so hang in there with us mama. It has to get better right?!

I'm sorry to hear about some tough times in the marriage lately. Having to please and look after 3 children and a hubby is enough to give me the cold sweats even thinking about it. Take a little "me time" even for an hour or so to de stress if you can.
    I'm sure a lot of us (speaking  for myself too) are feeling marital pressures right now and can lean on each other each other when things get tough. We're here for ya girl!
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kmolleltz I was just blinded by the "3 years of birth control" selling point. I called my OB twice about it, but they urged me to give it at least 6 months so I'm just trying to push through it.
    I feel guilty complaining about something so trivial in comparison to what you're going through with your little girl. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I'm happy to hear there will be a doctor you seem more comfortable with available, and we're keeping you guys in our thoughts!

@BabySunshine4 I understand completely... it gets so much harder to focus on yourself, and especially on you and your partner as a COUPLE, as lovers, and as people instead of just as parents with responsibilities to meet when you have multiple children. We've been trying to work past that stress and frustration too. It is SO important to try to make time for yourselves and each other and to reconnect when you can. Easier said than done, I know, but if you guys talk about it and are at least on the same page and have your feelings out in the open it really helps. 

I want all of you to know I'm thinking about all of you. All of our situations are different, but each of us have our own struggle and I wish the best for each of you. Keep your chins up ladies  <3
  • Options
    @allythekid don't feel guilty! everyone has their own struggles and we are here to support each other. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • Options
    Yesterday

Any milestones hit?
    She rolled back to belly once this morning! Haha guess I was worried over nothing. Sitting up on her own. Tons of grabbing and screaming to get what she wants.

Still not so good. Girl loves to snack throughout the night.

Weight and length?
    Probably 15.5 pounds and 26 inches

How are YOU feeling?
    Physically I feel great. Mentally and emotionally.. it's a struggle.

Questions or concerns?
    nope. Looking forward to starting food next month!
  • Options
    @brzvice @AllyTheKid I try to have some "me time" when I go to the gym a couple times a week, but it makes me feel guilty that I could have spent that with my kids. I know my SO has a lot of pressure from work but I feel like he makes no attempt to try and spend quality time with me. If any date night is going to happen it is all up to me to find a sitter, date, time, place ect. Sorry I'm just venting here. 

@AllyTheKid which bc implant did you get? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BabySunshine4 Nexplanon, and although I though it would be great for me, it is filling my life with misery and woe.

Also, do NOT feel guilty for taking time for yourself. I go very long stretches without doing anything for me, and then I start resenting everyone around me and feeling like my sole purpose in life is servitude. Which is a bad feeling. And it isn't fair to my family to be punished for me depriving myself because of mom guilt. Does any of that make sense? It did in my head...
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid it absolutely makes sense I need to remind myself that having that me time is part of keeping me sane which ultimately means being a mentally healthy mom. 

I got the Mirena and had my first ppp and the pms were insane, I am also beginning to wonder if I'm not dropping the baby weight because of it too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BabySunshine4 I *want* to blame the BC for my failure to drop the baby weight this time around, but I know it's really just my food (specifically cookie) addiction, unquenchable thirst for coca-cola, and lack of motivation to diet and exercise regularly. 

• Options
    Im not on BC (we're using condoms) and I've had a terrible time dropping the baby weight because for the first 5 months or so I've been starving all the time (thanks breastfeeding). I'm finally starting to be able to get back to normal meals. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • Options
    March 23

Any milestones hit?
    Rolling, eating solids, and I think she knows her name.

Still not the best, but has greatly improved this past week.  I'm able to get her down for a nap in about 5 mins as opposed to 15/20.  She still only naps 30-40 mins.  She can't seem to get past the first sleep cycle on her own.  I just transitioned her to the pack n play so we've had more wake ups than usual.  I've learned she is a side sleeper and she actually did fall asleep on her own one night when I laid her down on her side.  Makes me feel more comfortable to do sleep training next month.

Weight and length?
    Not sure since we didn't have an appt this month.  I think she's definitely around 15 lbs.

How are YOU feeling?
    I am feeling drained :(.  I'm really not getting enough sleep between her wake ups and H wanting me to stay up to spend time.  He is just going have to deal with me going to bed early.  H and I haven't had a moment without the baby since she's been here so I really need to look into a babysitting service or hopefully someone from church that I feel comfortable leaving S with so we can have a night out.  It is way overdue and we need it.  I didn't realize how much it would suck not having family nearby or friends that have the time outside of their day to day lives.
  • Options
    3/20

Any milestones hit?
    Rolling both ways, responding to his name, and beginning to tuck his knees up during tummy time.  He's getting really good at eating solids.

Still a great sleeper.  Two naps per day and STTN 8pm-6:30am.

Weight and length?
    16 lb, 25"

How are YOU feeling?
    Pretty good.  Baby is just chill and wonderful and we just got some very good news about his health so overall I feel happy and fulfilled.

Questions or concerns?
    I don't know what this kid is doing re teething.  Does it come and go at all?  Some days he is super fussy with red cheeks and lots of drool, clearly gets relief from teethers (loves that corn toothbrush thing!).  Then we check him out the next day and I don't see anything coming in.  I'm so confused.
  • Options
    @Kgridley27 Same with the teething thing- he'll act like he's teething one day, then the next, nada. Not a tooth in sight either. This has been going on for months too!
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid while I'm sorry your LO is going through this...goodness, that's nice to hear.  Makes it almost seem normal! haha
  • Options
    @Kgridley27 This happened with Jimmy too, and you know what? His first tooth didn't pop up until about two weeks before his 1st birthday. I thought he was teething pretty much his entire first year of life!
  • Options
    When does/did baby turn five months? Today, April 10th

Any milestones hit? 
    Has started rolling a bit, but doesn't do it often. He can roll from tummy to back, and from back to side. He needs encouragement with toys to roll currently. Sits up with support, and has started to pull himself into a sitting position but can only hold it unsupported for a short time. Starting to giggle, but hasn't full on laughed yet. Grabs toys well and can pass from hand to hand. Can also grab my glasses and rip them off my face. :) Babbles a lot.

This is such a struggle. He was STTN at about 8 weeks old. Then at about 12 weeks old it all went downhill and he was up every 1-2 hours. That was the exact time I went back to work and he started daycare. We finally have it back to him only waking up 1-2 times at night, but man I could really use a full night sleep since I'm EBF until 6 months. Naps during the day also went to shit when he started daycare. Some days he sleeps great at daycare, other days he will barely sleep at all. On the weekends he will only nap if me or H are holding him, or he's in the car. He will wake up instantly when we put him down. Luckily he will sleep in his crib at night.

Weight and length? 
    At his 4 month checkup he was a little over 14 pounds, and 24 inches. 

How are YOU feeling? 
    Eh. Still completely hating daycare. Seriously absolutely hate it. I have broken out in a horrible rash probably because of the stress of it. I've had the same rash years ago during stressful times, but can't take medicine to make it go away currently because I'm BF. No creams are helping. Aside from that I am completely in love with my son and wish I could spend more quality time with him. I also wish my son would sleep in his crib for naps on the weekends, so I could have some quality time with H.

Questions or concerns? 
    Joseph has also been massively drooling for months with no sign of a first tooth yet. Any advice on putting him down during naps?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Pupatella Do you swaddle, use white noise, or a pacifier?  S wouldn't go down for naps either and I used all 3 of those things and was able to get her napping on her own. In the beginning she only took 30 min naps but it was a start. She just recently has lengthened her naps. He also could still be going through the 4 month sleep regression. That last about 2 months with us. 
  • Options
    PupatellaPupatella member
    edited April 2017
    @Ladybug2821 we use white noise, but he wakes up instantly during the day for some reason when we put him down. At night he will sleep for 4-5 hours at a time, and won't wake up when we put him down the majority of the time. We don't swaddle anymore (haven't for a month), as he will soothe himself back to sleep by sucking his thumb. The strange thing is at daycare he will continue sleeping in his crib. Maybe he is just playing us as he knows we will pick him back up and hold him during the day? He knows we won't hold him at night as if he wakes up we will comfort him for a little and then put him right back in the crib.

ETA the 4 month sleep regression is so tough!! I can't believe yours lasted 2 months...ugh!!

• Options

@pupatella Yes!  The regression was horrible and she still doesn't sleep the same at night.  She would sleep 8 hour stretches but now wakes up twice to nurse. 

You might be right.  Maybe let him cry for 10 mins before going in since you know he can self soothe.  I started doing that when S wakes up about an hour after being put down for the night (she started doing this after DST for some reason) and she has been able to put herself back to sleep.

• Options
    @Ladybug2821 That is the same thing we are going through!! He was sleeping through the night, and now wakes up 1 or 2 times to nurse. Maybe it is the damn 4 month sleep regression.

I have such a hard time waiting 10 minutes before I go to him. I make it about 2 minutes before I just feel so guilty...that is something I really need to work on. 

• Options
    @pupatella I was like that too and it would make me so anxious not going in.  But then so many of my friends told me that you just have to do it or they will never learn.  And these are friends that I actually trust and see how they are with their children, not people that are just trying to impose their ways on me.  I also think at this age, our LO's can't exert a lot of energy because they aren't particularly mobile and this can help with that.  I know my mom let me cry and I turned out OK lol.  Maybe just work up to 10 mins.  Start with 3, then 5, etc.  You never know, he might stop crying after 3. 
  • Options
    @Pupatella +1 for the instant guilt.  I usually end up tearing up and giving in while H rolls his eyes at me from across the room...ha!
  • Options
    PupatellaPupatella member
    edited April 2017
    @Ladybug2821 and @Kgridley27 I know I should let him cry for a bit longer before going in, but it just makes me feel so guilty to listen to him cry!! About a week ago he woke me up crying, but I had to pee so bad, so I went to the bathroom first before going to him. By the time I was done and heading towards him, he had already soothed himself back to sleep. Maybe I need to start chugging water before bed so I always have to go to the bathroom first before going to him. ;)