Adoption
Options

April 2017 - I AM adopting / fostering or I WANT to adopt / foster

Are you thinking about adopting / fostering? Are you in the process of adopting/fostering? If so, please tell us more about yourself and your experiences so far.

-What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.)

-How are you feeling about the process right now?

-Any questions?

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed?

-Anything else to add?
Me:28 | DH: 28
Married: 07-2014
TTC #1: Since November 2015
Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
     due to previous issues.
***TW***
BFP: 11/4/2016
*TW*
 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: April 2017 - I AM adopting / fostering or I WANT to adopt / foster

• Options
    -What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? Foster Care

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) Waiting to take our classes. Everything will start happening next month. Classes start May 20th and we move at the beginning of May to a new apartment, so we'll be able to do the home study then as well.

-How are you feeling about the process right now? The waiting has felt so long, but I can see the finish line now, so I'm excited!

-Any questions? Not right now.

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? Nothing that I haven't said in previous posts.

-Anything else to add? Good luck to everyone this month - hopefully we all make some progress!
  • Options
    @britters314 - Glad the time to start the classes is so close!!!
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Update: H and I are trying to get a new apartment and we were almost all set for one, but we lost it when we told the landlady that we are in the process of becoming foster parents. Apparently the apartment is not safe for children. (Which sounds like something you would mention to your new renters. I mean, what if I miraculously got pregnant - would we get kicked out?) So anyone else who rents, I guess you have a new question to ask when looking for a new apartment: is it safe for children?
  • Options
    Update: H and I are trying to get a new apartment and we were almost all set for one, but we lost it when we told the landlady that we are in the process of becoming foster parents. Apparently the apartment is not safe for children. (Which sounds like something you would mention to your new renters. I mean, what if I miraculously got pregnant - would we get kicked out?) So anyone else who rents, I guess you have a new question to ask when looking for a new apartment: is it safe for children?
    @britters314 - I am sorry to hear that. That does sound like something they should have mentioned right away
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @britters314  that actually sounds kind of suspicious...what do they mean by "not safe for children"?  Open sewer holes in the living room?  Landlords aren't legally allowed to discriminate on the basis of family status/whether or not someone has children.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    @mill1020  Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was illegally discriminating against us, but I don't know if I want to bother fighting it because I don't want her as my landlady if she's going to be like this. She said the staircase is too steep and to make it safe would require extensive work that she is not willing to do. (However, in the lease, it states the owner has no knowledge of the unit being unsafe, so one of these things is a total lie.)
  • Options
    @britters314 Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. As long as the there's a railing, the stairs should be built to code anyway. We had a landlord that wasn't very happy about us having foster children and made life hell. It's illegal but it happens. 
  • Options
    @ali_gator11  Yeah, I started just saying that we are going to be fostering to all the prospective landlords to see how they react. I definitely want a landlord that has no issues with it.
  • Options
    @britters314 I don't blame you at all for not wanting to deal with a landlord like that.  But just so you know, you don't have to disclose the fact that you are hoping to foster, nor does a person who is already a parent or is hoping to give birth one day--They're only allowed to ask you how many adults will be in the home.  In any case, once you get settled somewhere (or maybe even before then), you should report that lady to the local Housing Bureau.  Probably easy to find if you google "fair housing reporting" plus your zip code or county name.

Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    @britters314. I'm sorry - I totally get where you are coming from.  That lady is the worst. I guess technically our place has a big open "pond" in the backyard that might not be totally "safe", needs work on the deck/steps etc.  If we cared enough to push him on certain things, maybe we would.  With a kid in the picture, maybe we would care more?  But 1) kids don't need to be wrapped in bubble wrap 2) if it's safe enough for adults there's no reason it shouldn't be safe enough for kids.  If a place is "unsafe" period, then she shouldn't be renting it to ANYONE till it's fixed!  I would totally report a B lol bc seriously, are you trying to privide safe housing to ppl or not??? Ammiright??? (((Hugs)))

Did you ever decide on the pockets / CD stuff you posted about a while back???  I am obsessed ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Are you thinking about adopting / fostering? Are you in the process of adopting/fostering? If so, please tell us more about yourself and your experiences so far.  <b>We always considered it bc we want a big family. Now with our TTC struggles, we still struggle with what's the right thing to do.  But a part of me would still love to have a blended foster/bio family if possible. Just dabbling a bit in online research is all so far I guess...</b>

-What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?  <b>Maybe foster -> adopt?</b>

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.)
    <b>Just thinking...</b>

-How are you feeling about the process right now?  <b>@britters314 post makes me think more about making my current home more kid-friendly, how we would set things up with a kid or kid + baby in the house... :)</b>

-Any questions?
    <b>Edited to remove mini-rant? </b> :s <b>
    </b>
    -Any tips for the steps you’ve passed?

-Anything else to add? 
  • Options
    @mill1020  I wasn't sure if I had to tell them or not because I know legally I don't, but when I filled out my initial application for foster, they asked if we have "permission to care for unrelated children" if we rent. So I figured I'd just be safer to ask. We are signing a lease on a new place today that has no issues with it and I did end up filing a complaint - we'll see what comes of it.

@BusinessWife I decided on sleeve diapers. They aren't very common, but they are a lot like pocket diapers except you don't have to unstuff them because the inserts come out in the wash (there is an opening in the front and the back). I sewed a ton of them and they are adorable!
  • Options
    @britters314 Congratulations on the new place!  That is so awesome that you made all your diapers.  DH would have LOVED if I had done that buuuut... :/  I do think I have one that's like that now that you mention it, because my OS AIO stash is really a mix of different brands of AIOs/pockets so we can see what's our fave before committing to a bunch of them.  Or hey, maybe we will love the whole mix and there will be no real reason to overhaul afterall!  Did you find a pattern to work from?
  • Options
    @BusinessWife  I used the Rita's Rumps Pocket pattern. I played around with making some with PUL and some without, some with back elastic and some without. I also knitted some wool diaper covers for the diapers without PUL - I used the Li'l Aries soaker pattern for that, though I had to make a few sizes of those because they aren't one size fits all like the pocket diaper pattern.