2nd Trimester
Options

Weaning a Boob-Obsessed Toddler

Hi Ladies!  My question is for those of you who have breastfed your toddler and then dealt with weaning.  My daughter is almost 19 months and addicted to the boob.  Shortly after 12 months we had a few days where she only nursed a few times and I was real excited.  Then she went back to wanting to nurse throughout the day.  I have loved nursing and did not anticipate how much I would like it.  I am incredibly thankful it's gone well for me.  I'm happy to continue nursing in the morning and at bedtime, but throughout the day can get frustrating.  I know she does it for comfort, but she wants it when it's just us at home, not only when she's stressed.  Currently she nurses at least 6-8 times a day, including morning and night (just at bedtime, she sleeps through the night).  I've read that weaning is a lot easier with a willing child, so I've sorta been waiting to for that to happen.  I've tried wearing clothes that make the boobs less accessible.  She will often pull on my clothes so much I'm afraid she will rip them.  And I've definitely tried distractions.  To make things a little interesting, I'm actually 12 weeks pregnant now.  I had thought maybe a decrease in supply would lessen her interest, but now she just nurses on both sides each session instead of one.  If you've gone through something similar, I'd love your encouragement and suggestions!

Re: Weaning a Boob-Obsessed Toddler

• Options
    Hi! I don't have god advice on weaning because for me it happened when I got the stomach flu when DS was 14 months...my supply never recovered and he slowly lost interest. BUT now he's totally obsessed with my boobs and touches them all the time. Doesn't try to nurse anymore though. 

Maybe this is your DD's way of saying she's not ready to give it up :) I think maybe when you're further along in your pregnancy the milk will begin to taste different and your DD will lose interest. 

Best of luck! :)
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP#1: 9/9/2014 DS born 4/7/15
    BFP#2: 6/16/2016 MC/D&C: 7/29/2016
    BFP#3: 10/14/2016 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean)
  • Options
    Hi! I just recently weaned my 22 month old. I was exhausted and my breast were so sore. She was very obsessed so I figured this would be near impossible. One morning when we woke up, and she asked for milkies, I told her mommy had no more milk because she drank it all. Throughout the day she had a few meltdowns but I comforted her in other ways or distracted her with bubbles, coloring books, etc. After a week she completely quit going for my breast and no note meltdowns. It was bittersweet but I needed a break before baby #2 gets here! Best of luck to you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh also, when I first started saying no more milk, I put band aids over my nipples to show her there really was no more 
  • Options
    mamabear_ said:
    Oh also, when I first started saying no more milk, I put band aids over my nipples to show her there really was no more 
    That's a great idea and something I need to do for my DS who's nipple obsessed after we weaned him off nursing. He grabs my boobs all day and especially the nipples. Ouch. He pinched and is just obsessed with them! It's getting too much because my boobs are sore and when we're out in public it's just awkward. 

Good suggestion. I'll try it ;)
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP#1: 9/9/2014 DS born 4/7/15
    BFP#2: 6/16/2016 MC/D&C: 7/29/2016
    BFP#3: 10/14/2016 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean)