March 2017 Moms

Postpartum Symptoms & Fun: 4/3

Happy April! How is everyone feeling?? 

This is currently me ^^^^ bahah 

Re: Postpartum Symptoms & Fun: 4/3

• Loading the player...
  • @motherofdragons-2
    Thank you so much for your reply.  It is definitely helpful.  It's all just so hard and feeling this way makes it harder.  I feel like I'm not doing a very good job at all.  I keep telling myself it'll get easier and it'll get better but right now it's hard to believe that.  Thanks for the advice and kind words. 
  • @IloveAlbert it will get better, that i can guarantee! :) you are doing a great job, and i don't need to know you to know that! 
  • @Spartanrd4 I'm in the same boat!! Ready for it to be done.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @IloveAlbert
    It's okay to call your OBnnurses line, even if you aren't sure what you are experiencing is just the babyblues or full on ppd or ppa. Really, they can help you figure out what is going on. The fact that you are having difficulty enjoying your sin and that you almost always seem to feel overwhelmed to tge point you "can't do this" are warning signs for anxiety. They are totally normal feelings, btw, and we have ALL felt that way at points--buy if they start to feel overwhelming, it's a good idea to seek out help. I want you to enjoy your family!  <3. The treatment is not always meds, but if meds are warranted I think there are some that are ok while nursing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina
    Thank you!  I am not good at reaching out when I need help but I feel like if not for myself, I need to be my best self for my kids.  I really appreciate your advice.  I am so glad I reached out.  I plan on staying out of my lurker hole and being more active with you ladies!  Better late than never I hope!
  • @IloveAlbert I would say yes call your OB, tell them how you feel. Sometimes LO's pediatrician can also help you figure out how you're feeling, so if you're more comfortable with that you can always bring it up to them as well. I know that's one of the first topics of LO's check ups at our office, most of them are prepared to help with PPD/PPA. 

My DD1 is going on 4 and and LO is 3 weeks right now, I'm finding it very difficult to be nursing constantly and having time for DD. From what everyone keeps telling me, feeling guilty about the lack of time with the oldest ones is pretty common and as LO grows it does in fact get easier. I really hope things get much easier for everyone struggling as a better routine sets in place. 
  • @Burrberrymum
    Thank you!  I was thinking about talking about it with my ped.  At the one month visit which I have on April 11 they have me answer a questionnaire about PPD and ask how I'm doing.  My ped is very supportive so I think I'll bring it up with him.  

Breastfeeding right now is so demanding because it's so constant.  Exactly like you said it takes up so much of my time right now.  People always said going from 1 to 2 is hard but it's even harder than I thought.  I know we'll get there but right now the mom guilt is REAL! 
  • @IloveAlbert I seriously feel like I could have written your entire post myself!! You are not alone in those thoughts/feelings. I have been WAY overwhelmed and also feeling the demands of constant nursing and missing my son. I also at the same time feel like I don't even want to be around my son, bc I feel so guilty not being able to live on him like before. These feelings are all so foreign and hard. I have started seeing my therapist again even though she is an hour and a half away, and it helps being able to sort through these things there. I am also brainstorming with my husband and mom about ways to make it better for me. I already take medication for depression (I have for years, throughout my pregnancies and while breastfeeding DS for almost two years) so there are DEFINITELY safe meds. I once read a statistic that appx 1/3 of postpartum women end up taking something for a period of time, usually Zoloft. I take that plus another medication. 
    I also don't know if this is a result of sleep deprivation or PPD, BUT I do know from past experience that sleep deprivation is a big trigger for my depression so honestly I treat them both with equal seriousness. They go hand in hand for me. 
    @kjd291 once made the remark that "this too shall pass," and I have sorta made that my mantra. I HAVE to believe it's true!! 
    Hugs to you. <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @MahiMama
    Yes!  Not that I want anyone else to suffer but good to know I'm not alone.  It is helpful to know there are medications I can take if needed.  It's so frustrating because I just want to feel normal.  I know its still so early but the anxiety is just so uncomfortable.  Also I will have a really good day, like this afternoon I was feeling really good then it all comes apart.  I slept 2 hours then LO woke up to nurse and after I fed her she was so uncomfortable pulling up her legs and crying (working on figuring out what is making her so uncomfortable with an elimination diet and reflux meds).  Then DS wakes up coughing and can't get back to sleep calling for me but I can't go because LO is crying and uncomfortable.  He never wants DH because he is a mama's boy.  DH gets frustrated because men can't handle things.  Sucks to go from feeling great to crashing back to reality. But I am just going to try to remind myself that I'll feel good again.  I'm going to steal @kjd291 line too "This too shall pass". Although right now the light at the end of the tunnel seems far away.  Creepy internet hugs to you! Thanks for the advice!
  • Creepy internet hugs to you both! And anyone else dealing with the PPD - I wish I had more free time to write something moving and helpful. But I'm up to my eyeballs in diapers and tears here too ;) i feel guilty grabbing my phone when I have two kids who need me, but this place brings some sanity and enjoyment! Find those places and people that give you a break and joy, so you can fill up in order to keep pouring out to your families, and if you can't find joy in anything there's no need to feel like YOU are doing something wrong. It's hard to ask for help, especially if you wrongly see it as your fault. It's not your fault for catching a flu and going to your doctor for help-its not your fault for having PPD-you didn't do anything and aren't doing anything that's your fault. Hormones suck-recovery is unfair and gives some a steeper hill to climb than others. But you are strong! YES! This too shall pass!! It may seem impossible now, but soon you'll look back on these days instead of feeling trapped in them.
    love mamas - xoxo
  • 1) haven't used pads since hs but when I started my period my mom started me on Always pads. Well then I started getting terrible itching and burning. Lo and behold it was likely due to the wings and/or the unbreathability of this brand so thanks to google I found that Kotex was much better since it's cotton. Switched up and also started doing Vaseline with each pad change and it's better but still annoying. 3 weeks PP and still a few spots! Wish it would stop! Also why didn't anyone warn me about potential pad rash :scream:

2) I've been way more hormonal than at any point during pregnancy. I cried when my dad visited but still had runny nose and stuff from allergies (or do I suspected, it's been months but he refused to take allergy medicine) then was too afraid to hold DS. I cried when my mom got mad at me for putting my foot down about not using a blanket in baby's bed. I cried when we left the house for a few days to avoid DH because he caught the flu from work and I felt bad about not being there to take care of him and for taking away DS from his dad. All of these were for my little's benefit but I was still overwhelmed with emotion. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hardest time for me is the 3 am feeding. Seems like LO just doesn't want to go back to sleep after that feeding and I get so frustrated because I want to sleep.  I'm trying terribly not to get angry because she's just a baby and doesn't know but this every 3 hour feedings are driving me nuts. I can't wait to just let LO sleep. I would like a good 4 solid hours of straight sleep. 

I have so much to do during the day I feel like I cant nap (although I am taking about 1 good hour nap a day) 

im just a tiny bit tired. I wish DH would also take some initiative when he comes home, without me having to beg him to do stuff. I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm home all day and should do it, but it's difficult when your child wants boob constantly.
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • @pandalily I am so glad you posted that today! I had no idea that pad rash was a thing and now my itchiness makes so much more sense! I thought I was going to go crazy!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• I found some relief from pad rash by using baby powder! 
  • @kjd291 Thank you so much! Love the analogy about filling up so I can pour out and a great reminder that it's not my fault like getting the flu wouldn't be my fault.  The support from all of you lovely internet strangers has really been a help.  I am so mad at myself for not actively participating sooner!  
  • 3 weeks and 5 days since delivery, and my hemorrhoids are still driving me nuts and bleeding on occasion. And I suspect that I'm going to be getting my period soon. My cramps had mostly stopped, but now I'm getting really bad ones pretty frequently,  my boobs hurt again, and I have had an awful headache for 3 days. Yay!  :(

I have my postpartum check up coming up soon. I'm really not looking forward to that. In addition to my fear of the speculum, I'm anxious about talking to my doctor. My fiance keeps asking me if I'm ok, if I'm thinking about hurting myself, and keeps insisting that I seem "distant and just kind of off." If he's so concerned about me, I wonder what my doctor will think.
  • @pandalily the pad rash is no joke ! Going on 3 wks pp and I have the WORST diaper rash 
  • ashley14598ashley14598 member
    edited April 2017
    Hi Everyone! I suppose its now time for me to post on the postpartum board for the first time. I have been MIA since having my son. We have been through a crazy time since I had him. Luckily the delivery was awesome ... it was after the delivery that our own small nightmare began. I had a HORRIBLE reaction to a pain med they gave me in the hospital. It made me hallucinate, lose my sense of balance, itch on my scalp and when I would lay down it would make me feel as if I was in the ocean swaying. I felt like I couldn't control my body and the worst part was I didn't catch it all until I was discharged and sent home 48 hours after delivery. Once we got home the symptoms all came clear to me that I wasn't myself. Needlesstosay we ended up in the ER that night until 4 AM (not quite how I imagined my first night home with our LO). Then we ended up back at the midwives office that next day at 10:30 AM. She was able to prescribe something for the itch and anxiety it was causing. However it took almost a week to get the med completely out of my system. The nightmare continued the next day while breastfeeding my son I noticed a red rash on him, by the time I called the pediatrician to get in they were full for the day and suggested Childrens. So DH and I packed the diaper bag and headed 40 mins to Childrens (the last place you want to go with a 3 day old) ... and we hadn't been at home with him at all. Luckily they diagnosed him with a common newborn rash (I wouldn't have questioned it if I wasn't having a horrible reaction myself to the medicine).

Now that things are starting to calm down, I'm still dealing with hypertension and the itch! My midwife suggested I see my family doctor for these things so I had my first appointment with him this week. He checked my thyroid that came back normal. The itching is mainly in my scalp (I thought I had head lice) and it will migrate throughout my body. I know its coming from the inside (my mom keeps suggesting lotions, change of laundry detergent, etc) but its so hard to explain. I thought it was the allergic reaction to the pain medicine but it has been a week and half since I took it and I still have the itch! I have googled postpartum itching and have found some forum's of other women discussing it but that's it. Nothing to really explain the itch or help .... anyone else have this? 

Edited to say... PS I have missed you ladies and this board ... I'm thankful to have some time to finally be back :) 
  • Ugh, guys. I think I posted awhile ago about a stinky discharge. Well, I don't think it's bacterial vaginosis because that has a fishy odor but this isn't like that. I have my PP appt on Wednesday but I have to call on Monday because this is getting unbearable. Like.. I'm wondering if my sutures got infected or if they possibly left a gauze or something in there?! I would think I would have passed it? My husband says he can't smell anything but it's super embarrassing and making me feel so disgusting. 

Anyone else in this boat? 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @shines721 I thought I smelled for about 5-6 weeks until I stopped bleeding completely. Dr did a swab at PP appt and it was clear. I think our sense of smell is just sensitive and it's the bleeding/discharge
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Yeah, 2.5 weeks postpartum and the pad rash is real. I almost don't need one anymore, but scared my bleeding will have one of it's random outbursts.
  • @Ivorytower2 so very true! 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • I think part of my bladder may have come out in the delivery room with all the other stuff that came outta me. After my accident yesterday I thought it was a one time thing for just getting home from the hospital, but nope. Two more accidents today...thankfully one was right before/as I got in the shower so it wasn't bad and the other time was as I couldn't stop laughing during a diaper change (I was showing my sister how to change a diaper & right after I cleaned DS's poopy bum he started oozing out poop and it was the grossest/most hilarious thing - we both were cracking up & that opened the floodgates) but I had a huge waterproof pad on so it was contained. Still, I hope I don't have to wear diapers forever now haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Talk to me about episiotomy healing... I'm 10 days out and feel like it looks like I have an open wound. I had an episiotomy with a 3rd degree tear. Stings like crazy pee, but no signs of infection. Light flow, still pretty red but definitely lightened. Wondering if red is seeping from "wound" looking area. Wondering if anyone else still had similar symptoms at this point. Normal? Feel like it should be improving and instead I'm just stuck with no change. If it is normal, fine... dealable, just ugh!!! I want to walk without a stinging and burning feeling!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @serenity13 Some women have real needs on healing their pelvic floor muscles after childbirth due to incontinence. A place that I had physical therapy specialized in it. Not wanting to scare you.. just make you aware that it is a real thing that women struggle with after delivery. You can search for pelvic floor exercises and I would do those and see if there is improvement. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• serenity13serenity13 member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks @shines721!! Yea I'll definitely be talking with my dr about it if it continues. I'm also gonna be doing pelvic floor exercises & kegels!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ashley14589 I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. How scary for you and your lo! I hope you're feeling better
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• RunBooRunRunBooRun member
    edited April 2017
    I think part of my bladder may have come out in the delivery room with all the other stuff that came outta me. After my accident yesterday I thought it was a one time thing for just getting home from the hospital, but nope. Two more accidents today...thankfully one was right before/as I got in the shower so it wasn't bad and the other time was as I couldn't stop laughing during a diaper change (I was showing my sister how to change a diaper & right after I cleaned DS's poopy bum he started oozing out poop and it was the grossest/most hilarious thing - we both were cracking up & that opened the floodgates) but I had a huge waterproof pad on so it was contained. Still, I hope I don't have to wear diapers forever now haha
    Hey, just wanted to let you know that I'm right there with you. I think my problem is related to being cathed at the hospital during the epidural. Catheters can cause your urethra to swell. I wasn't feeling the need to pee so I would wet myself when I'd finally try.

I've started to feel the urge to pee again, so it seems to be healing. I'm also trying to remember to pee more often even if I don't feel like I need to go. Yesterday I tried to go after every time I nursed and it went well. Will also start doing some kegels.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• @kelizr I had two tears and an episiotomy. I don't know how severe because they didn't tell me and to be honest I didn't ask bc I was afraid to know. I was quite sore for several weeks, and I did have light bleeding up until 3ish weeks especially after taking a large poo. Today I'm 4 weeks PP and yesterday was the first day I actually started feeling normal. I'm not 100% yet, but noticeably better. Hang in there, I KNOW it sucks and it's super painful, but you're close!! 

Btw, I found that soaking in a warm Epsom salt bath really helped with soreness. Other than that just rest rest rest as hard as it can be to do. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry if this was already discussed on a previous weeks thread- but night sweats?  How long do these last? The past three nights I've been waking up drenched. No fever, just sweating.  I actually have to change my clothes it's so bad! 
  • @npaulie Good to know! My biggest concern is that it actually appears I have an open wound.. :( I called today and was told they definitely want to check it to be sure my stitches didn't pop and that if they did it's not infected. Feel so dirty down there! Ugh!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kelizr I know, it sucks. I've had a yeast infection the last week on top of recovering and stitches. It definitely makes you feel gross down there. Can't wait until everything is back to normal down there. Good luck at your dr appointment!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie popped stitches! :( not what I wanted to hear! Longer healing process and possible reconstruction surgery in a few months. All I can do it keep it clean and check in weekly. Of course!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Follow up.. I went in today even though my 6 week appt was supposed to be Wednesday because of the smelliness. Sure enough, bacterial vaginosis. I didn't think it was that because it's not fishy smelling. 

Positive: I got my 6 week appt over with because she combined the visit .. and at 4 weeks, 6 days. 

Negative: Last time I had this (after Ds1), I felt super nauseous and like I was going to pass out. Here's to feeling like crap for the next week while watching two kids. 

@kelizr Sorry! That sounds not too fun and rather annoying. Good thing you went! Hopefully you can avoid the reconstruction! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @RunBooRun thank you! I am feeling better finally! Day by day i am beginning to feel more like myself! 

@jenny0228 I had my first night of night sweats the other night, woke up soaked and had to change all my clothes. I thought that it was weird my SIL questioned if I had them yet and like 2 days later I get it! Sorry I don't know anything about how long these last. But I can say I have had them as well. 
  • @jenny0228 the worst night sweats for me was probably week 2. On week 3 now and I still get them sometimes but not as often or bad. It's annoying, but I try to look at it as a calorie burner. Lol
  • @kelizr that sucks :( I asked my OB after delivery what would happen if I popped a stitch and she basically said the same that they wouldn't do anything about it. I thought it was odd that they wouldn't try to fix it and I'm sure sucks to know you have an open wound. Fingers crossed you heal well naturally and don't need any surgery later.