June 2015 Moms

Transition to toddler bed?

Anybody still out there? If so, have any of you transitioned to a toddler bed? Any advice? DD is getting too heavy for me to lift out of the crib and I'm often home alone caring for her. She naps on a cot both at daycare and at home on weekends and stays in it fairly well.

Re: Transition to toddler bed?

• We are still co-sleeping. LO seriously moves around at night so much I imagine he might fall off a small bed. We've considered transitioning to his own bed, so we might just get him a big bed for himself and just put on the floor -Montessori style. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Mattress on the floor since 19 months. She moved around too much to co sleep and hated her crib. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm trying to keep lo in the crib as long as possible. I'm worried it will be hell trying to get her to stay in her bed (she never wants to go to sleep). I hear you about LO getting heavy lifting in and out of the crib though. I'm interested to hear people's experiences with the transition. My LO also naps on a mat at school so maybe shell do better than I'm imagining once we do make the switch.
  • I'm trying to keep my twins in cribs as long as possible. Once in toddler beds, I know it will be party time in there for the 2 of them. They do sleep on floor mats at daycare and apparently that goes well.

I know they squirm and move so much though, I'm certain they'll fall out of the bed. Plus, my kids are weird and hate blankets on them. They cuddle with a light weight blanket, but seriously HATE being covered in blankets. Who knows when we'll make the transition.
  • I still have my LO in a sleep sack at night so she doesn't have the full mobility of climbing out of the crib, so we're still in the crib for now. When she outgrows this sleep sack I know we'll need to transition because I'm sure she'll be able to climb out. I anticipate she'll be in a toddler bed in a few months. And I'm not looking forward to it.  :o We have a safety gate at her bedroom door so that'll be good to keep her in her room without having to close her door. I can just imagine she'll be wide eyed and bushy tailed with the new freedom when the time comes.

What I am looking forward to though is when she's closer to three years old and we can start trying to get her used to one of those 'clocks' that tells a toddler when it's still sleep time and when it's wake time. Here's an example: https://smile.amazon.com/OK-Wake-Alarm-Clock-Night-Light/dp/B00EAHSBV4/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g2609328962?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

• I didn't know how it would go when we transitioned her and she had the freedom to move around; but so far we don't usually ( maybe 4 times) have motn wandering. She only tends to get up in the morning when it's her wake up time. 
  • I decided to try the toddler bed this weekend. She was sound asleep this morning and slept better last night than she did with the crib.
  • LO is still in his crib, sleeps great and doesn't really have any interest in trying to climb out of it yet, hallelujah! So we are just going with it for now and not even thinking of the transition at this point. 

• DD is still in her crib and has never tried to climb out (though she climbs just about everything else), so we're planning to keep her in there until fall or winter and then move her to her full size bed with bedrails.  God help us.

I'm having another kid in June and we don't want to actually buy another crib, so the baby will be in our room in a PNP until DD is in her bed.  DD has to move upstairs to her big girl bedroom as it is, so we figure if she starts out in her old crib in there it will be easier for her to get used to it.
  • We've made it 2 whole weeks and she loves the bed so far. We've had our fair share of health issues lately and it's been exhausting with her. I couldn't imagine being pregnant again and trying to deal with her. You ladies impress me.
  • delujm0 said:
    DD is still in her crib and has never tried to climb out (though she climbs just about everything else), so we're planning to keep her in there until fall or winter and then move her to her full size bed with bedrails.  God help us.

I'm having another kid in June and we don't want to actually buy another crib, so the baby will be in our room in a PNP until DD is in her bed.  DD has to move upstairs to her big girl bedroom as it is, so we figure if she starts out in her old crib in there it will be easier for her to get used to it.
    Exactly this. DD coming in June will be co-sleeping, in a PNP, in the baby swing, and/or in the RNP in our room for the first 6 months, just like DS. Trying to figure out how to fit a toddler bed in the nursery once DD gets moved into DS's crib since all other bedrooms are downstairs and I think putting DS in a new bed and in another room on a different floor from DH and I would be too much for a 2-1/2 year old to handle. 

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• I'm keeping my twins in cribs as long as possible too! One has crawled out a couple of times, but we turned it around so she couldn't anymore
  • Our toddler is in his big boy bed now. He still in our room, but hey it's a start. Even with 2 week baby brother he not tempted to come back to our bed! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers