May 2017 Moms

Maternity/Paternity Leave

2»

Re: Maternity/Paternity Leave

• -How much time will you get for maternity leave? 12 weeks. I won't be getting paid the last few weeks but I don't even care. You can't get that precious time back!
    -When will you start it? I'm working right up to my due date
    -How long will your SO get? He'll probably take 4 to 5 days off. He has to use vacation days, no paternity leave where he works.
    -STM+, what will your older kids do while you're on leave? I plan on having DS (who will turn 2 a week before my due date) at home with us to adjust to being a big brother. During the first week or 2, I may send him with my mom or MIL a couple days a week so I can get some rest when baby sleeps
  • SKZWSKZW member
    I'm loving reading everyone's responses on the "what to do with older kids" question. My son's in preschool twice a week, so that'll continue through May and the first third of June. I agree on sticking to some sort of schedule; beyond that, I haven't come up with a plan. I figured it'd be him, me, and new LO all summer hanging out and figuring it all out together. Hubbs is taking 1 week off in May (starts on delivery day), then another 1 week each in June and July. Some family will be visiting right when baby's born, and I'd like them to spend one-on-one time with the little man. (After typing this, I realize it's not really a plan, but I'm trying to stay flexible!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Just realized I forgot to cover what is paid/unpaid. There is no maternity leave at my university, but they do have ample sick and vacation time. The sick time doesn't roll over, but refills July 1st. If I were able to go for a full 12 weeks I would actually return and still have 9 weeks of vacation and sick time combined. I am not even sure why they give so much sick time since I can't even use it! Even if I qualified for FMLA they do not allow sick time to be used past when your Dr approves your return, so you have to switch to using vacation time. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • -How much time will you get for maternity leave? Our state gives us 4 months, unpaid, BUT summer doesn't count (I'm a teacher), so it will end up being around 5 1/2 months! Since I've been at my school for a while they give me 8 weeks paid, plus my pay is divided up over summer so I've already earned pay those 6 weeks, and whatever sick/personal days I have which is between 1-2 weeks. So overall about 15-16 weeks full pay! I don't get any disability after because they have failed to sign me up for it despite me asking for the past few years. All in all, I'm really happy with the situation, it's a lot better than I thought it would be.

-When will you start it? I was planning to leave the week I was due (at 39w, 4d), but teaching has gotten harder and harder as I'm moving further along, so I may leave 1-2 weeks earlier than that. Taking it one day at a time.

-How long will your SO get? DH's company is REALLY old school and only provides him with 2 weeks vacation. We always fly home for Christmas so he'll save a week for that and take only one week when she is born.