August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• What are people's thoughts on water thermometers? I plan on bathing my baby in our kitchen sink with a support until they move onto the tub. My concern is that our faucet temps are extreme IMO and can get really hot or cold with the slightest movement. Anyone use a water thermometer? Any brands work better than others?
  • themrsthemrs member
    edited April 2017
    H & I: Both 28
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1: June 2016
    BFP: 11-24-16 ~ EDD 8-9-17
    IT'S A BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • NxyNxy member
    @LadyDi711 I got one as a gift and didn't really use it much. It can't hurt, but for me it wasn't like a must have. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LadyDi711, I also have never used a bath thermometer. I'm sure many mom's find then helpful,  I just personally never found use for it.  They are small and inexpensive enough though,  so you could also throw it on the registry just in case.

Yes, I agree with @britvahok, the nose Frida snot sucker is a life saver!

Also... make sure you have gripe water and gas drops on hand when baby is born.  DS was colicky and those two were a life saver! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• So I think I might be a little over-prepared. I have bought all of my big stuff/ clothing (I'm not having a baby shower). The only things I really haven't bought is a highchair, baby wash/lotion/diaper cream, and diapers. Can someone recommend a highchair that they love? 
  • @tova24 what are you looking for in a high chair?  Beauty? Function? Space saver? Cheap? 
  • @Kudlica27 I want something that will grow with him. Something that could stand upright but also convert into a chair. I would like to stay around  $150.
  • I had a bath thermometer and it was the one purchase I found myself laughing at myself over. The inside of your arm is all you need to draw a perfect bath. It just became a toy and then eventually broke and was thrown away. 

@tova24 We used a FP spacesaver with DS and I really liked not having to make room for something else around our table. It straps onto any chair and has recline and booster modes. Also super easy to clean and fairly inexpensive. 
  • Thanks @taylormarie923 probably just being a crazy FTM here
  • tova24 said:
    @Kudlica27 I want something that will grow with him. Something that could stand upright but also convert into a chair. I would like to stay around  $150.
    This is the chair we have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D3SVQO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's easy to assemble, clean, and adjust. 
  • @LadyDi711 I was that crazy FTM too.  ;)
  • We originally registered for the FP Space Saver, but when we saw it in person my husband pointed out that you would never be able to push the chair in.  Our dining room is tiny and you wouldn't be able to walk around the table with two chairs out constantly.

We switched it to the Graco Slim Spaces one.  I have no experience with it yet, obviously, but I like that it folds flat so easily so we can store it out of the way when we're not using them.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We originally registered for the FP Space Saver, but when we saw it in person my husband pointed out that you would never be able to push the chair in.  Our dining room is tiny and you wouldn't be able to walk around the table with two chairs out constantly.

We switched it to the Graco Slim Spaces one.  I have no experience with it yet, obviously, but I like that it folds flat so easily so we can store it out of the way when we're not using them.
    We have the FP space saver and we love it. And you can push it in without the tray. 
  • Mango517 said:
    @littlebug2010 Did you see the City Mini GT buybuybaby exclusive Charcoal color? I love that color option. The fabric is a bit thicker looking and has a good texture to it. I wasn't planning on getting the matching city go car seat but then I liked that we could safely use a seatbelt to attach that car seat instead of having to bring the base along when traveling.

We registered for this on Sunday and my MIL bought it Monday, lol. I really liked that charcoal color. 

So this is a random question- baby shoes. I put a variety of onesies and sleep sacks on the registry, as well as some tops, pants, and rompers and sweaters in sizes that are hopefully appropriate for a growing summer-born baby. I added white socks too. But what about shoes? Do newborns-to-6-months even wear shoes? In my limited experience babies just kick everything off. Plus, your kid could have fat feet and the adorable little shoes never fit. But I guess my question really is would it be weird if my child went shoeless for awhile until her first "formal" (hah) outing prompts us to buy shoes that fit?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    @DeansGirl14 I feel the same way about baby shoes. I really love the socks that look like shoes and I plan on using those often. I am of the thought that shoes are a waste (unless its cold) until baby starts walking. With DS we used "skidders" a lot. Socks with rubber, non-stick bottoms that looked like shoes. He had really wide, fat feet and finding shoes was really difficult.
  • @DeansGirl14 I have heard that shoes aren't used/needed until they are actually walking. I got one cute pair of baby converse to match my DH but that is pretty much it. Lots of socks.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @DeansGirl14 totally not needed. We had a couple pair people gave us and they never fit right. DS has fat Flintstone feet and now that he is walking, I spend a small fortune on shoes because he needs wide shoes. Save your money!
  • @DeansGirl14 another vote for no on shoes. DD didn't walk until 17 months old and I can count the number of times I put shoes on her before then. Not necessary at all. However, in the cold months, these are great! Zutano Unisex Baby Cozie Fleece Bootie, Gray, 6 Months https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3WPAL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_t847ybJHEYKGT

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump
    super cute!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 Seconding the Zutano fleece booties! My nephew is a big boy with wide, flat feet (10months now). Socks always left lines on his ankles from being too tight on him. My SIL bought a bunch of these off of amazon and loves them. They keep baby's feet warm and comfortable!
  • +1 to the Zutanos.  They are easier to put on and warmer then socks.  They also have them in lighter weight fabric if you don't need them to be that warm.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    When we had DD we were living on a tropical island so she barely ever had on clothes let alone socks or shoes. I'm going to have to remember babies need to be warm this time...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Nxy DS was born in June and we live in the South, but 9 times out of 10 he was in just a onesie or footie pajamas. I couldn't keep socks or a hat on him. We keep our house at a reasonable temperature and he was fine.  I actually read somewhere that the best place to feel to get a gauge of temperature is the back of their neck. If I ever put a blanket over him in his swing, he'd kick it off.  DS's cousin and his wife have a new baby and they keep him in thermal footie pajamas with mittens, a hat, and a big thick blanket all the time, even inside. It's been in the 80s here. I guess he's ok, but DH and I think it's overkill and laugh about it every time we see a picture. 
  • Agree that shoes are completely pointless until they start walking, I put them on him just a couple times because family had gotten them as gifts, but it was just to take a quick pic and then they came off. I'd also wait to buy too many socks until they are here. My son was born with giant feet and never fit in the infant socks. He was wearing 12m socks as a baby and I had to give away all the cute socks we had. 
  •  I actually read somewhere that the best place to feel to get a gauge of temperature is the back of their neck. 
    @SouthernMama15
    This is off-topic from the gear but can you explain this? This is one of my current biggest baby mysteries. Our thermostat is set to 71 but outdoors depending on season is negative temps to 95. I am clueless as to how to figure out if I'm going to be over- or under-dressing a baby. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 I am with you on this, how do I tell if they need another layer or long sleeves or a warmer swaddle etc.
    I was told for outdoors that you should add a layer to them for every layer you are wearing, but my DH runs hot and I run cold, so that is useless.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @DeansGirl14 I can't remember where I read it, but I did find this article. It seems like checking their core-bsck or tummy-is a good way to tell if they are hot or cold.  

https://www.infantcpr.com/blog/posts/is-my-baby-too-cold-at-night
  • Anyone with experience with the Nuna Pipa Car Seat?
    I had decided on the Britax but unfortunately I can't get the correct adaptor for my City Select in Canada. I'm been researching an alternative and really like the safety/features of the Pipa (although here in Canada they haven't certified the load legs so it doesn't have that for me). Just wondering if anyone else has had a look/has one?
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @em1017 here's the gear thread

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• mia080mia080 member
    @bumpybump thank you!! i keep losing it and don't know how to search on mobile. i'm trying to scope some registry checklists for guidance on smaller ticket items i might be forgetting or don't know about 
  • @em1017 it's at the bottom of the screen on mobile 
  • @em1017 Check out Lucie's List! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mia080mia080 member
    @SouthernMama15 -- holy sh*t, duh! haha thank you!! i guess i really wasn't looking hard enough 

@SpotConlon -- this is awesome, thank you! :smiley:
  • @em1017 I agree, check out Lucie's List! I would have been totally lost and confused without it. Really helped me nail down not only what I needed, but what brands and types are best! 
  • LadyDi711 said:
    What are people's thoughts on water thermometers? I plan on bathing my baby in our kitchen sink with a support until they move onto the tub. My concern is that our faucet temps are extreme IMO and can get really hot or cold with the slightest movement. Anyone use a water thermometer? Any brands work better than others?
    Your elbow is a great thermometer. The skin is thin and sensitive there like a baby's would be. If it is too hot on your elbow, you need to cool it down. 
  • Does anyone have a travel sleep solution they love? I'm not sold on having a pack n' play as the best light weight and easy to travel with option since they seem so bulky to cart around.

I'd like something that I can easily pack into my car and haul into a hotel, to visit family, or up three flights of stairs to our beach condo. It also has to be high enough off the floor that my small dog can't jump into for a snuggle with the baby. It would also be great if it would be big enough to use for the first year so we can see how life with the new baby works.

I thought that getting an uppa baby bassinet and stand might be a good idea, but I've read that babies grow out of the bassinets within a few months.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Chicco Lullago Travel Crib:

Or the Graco Travel Lite:

Other recommendations?

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lewlivlewliv member
    @Mango517 Zero experience here but this is what I have in my registry:

• https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=doona+car+seat+stroller+video&&view=detail&mid=FBCEA861602073EBF693FBCEA861602073EBF693&rvsmid=6C30F1D8E148FDFC301E6C30F1D8E148FDFC301E&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Shut the front door, ladies.  If you are a first time mama, take it from me, THIS is going to be a lifesaver!  I didn't have time to read through 5 pages, so if this has already been suggested on here, I'm sorry!

I'm so excited about this.  My friend ran into a lady who has this and she said it was worth ever. single. penny.

I'm so excited.  We are going pretty minimal on what we are purchasing for this baby because we are in a smaller house for the time being...but this will be a definite purchase.  Great reviews!

• @Mango517 we always used the pnp, but my parents bought one for their homes too so most of the time when we travelled I didn't have to worry about bringing ours along.  It really only worked if we added a 3in mattress so it was only a travel option if we were driving or my son wouldn't sleep.