August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• When do others recommend getting a crib by? Is there a time frame of how many weeks pregnant I shouldn't go past?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903
    We didn't use our crib until LO was about 6 months old or more. You have plenty of time. We used the pack n play and bassinet insert and a rock n play until then
  • Loading the player...
  • @NatSprat0703 I was told about the layering by another mom and I was like man that's so smart! But then I started researching crib mattresses and they're claiming to be "breathable" but I was like if I cover it in 4 sheets thennnnnn doesn't that defeat the purpose of the mattress? I'm torn about it. Maybe I'll save the 4 sheets and stuff for when she's a little older. 
  • Breathable doesn't really mean anything with regard to mattresses.  It's not a regulated term at all.  It's much more important for the sleep surface to be firm (so baby's face can't sink into it) than "breathable."

As long as the surface is firm and flat with the sheets on it, it's okay to layer.  I don't know if we'll do 4 layers, but we'll probably do two.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Kathryn0903 Do you plan to use a bassinet? We had ours up, but Lo slept in the bassinet at first. It ended up holding his cloth diapers and organizing clothes the first month. However, he rolled quite early, so I was glad it was up. My friend was the opposite and her baby in there from day one. 

@cmiller531 We never did more than one crib sheet. If the liquid leaks through, its on the next sheet. And in reality, when you are already changing a diaper and pjs. the sheets seem like no big deal. 
  • @Vamason89 I've read that layering the pads and sheets is really helpful, esp in the middle of the night. But I also read safety wise not to do that because it can make it too soft for baby thus increasing risk of SIDS. So much confusing advice out there!
    We did this with DD but only had one extra layer and it definitely helped on the crazy nights of stomach flu. 
  • britvahokbritvahok member
    edited March 2017
    @Kathryn0903 with DS we didn't put the crib up until around 36 weeks. We're putting the crib up at the end of May because DH will have a 2 week break in between grad classes. DS didn't sleep in his crib for the first 7 months but I like to have the nursery done because delivery.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @Kudlica27 I will probably use a bassinet.
    @britvahok I like the idea of having the nursery completed before delivery even if I use a bassinet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bumping up the thread because I just read through it again and got some really good advice. At the time it was created I wasn't yet seriously thinking about baby gear.

Took a trip to buybuybuy baby to start to scope out gear- and thank goodness we went on a dead Monday night because I was completely overwhelmed and the store was essentially empty of shoppers- and easily came to an agreement with my H about the stroller option.  Surprised because going in I was leaning heavy toward a Bugaboo or UppaBaby Vista. Ended up loving the City Mini GT travel system! I think it's going to fit with our lifestyle better. Getting a travel system wasn't exactly on my radar, but after seeing one myself and then reading the responses here I'm pretty sold on getting the one we picked out. Thanks all :)

I still might look for a bassinet stroller for my daily doggy walks around the neighborhood. Something to use when they're very little and is only for home use.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 DHs grandparents are getting us the same travel system!  We went to a baby expo a week ago, and had people at uppababy and bugaboo show us all their stuff, but we just loved the babyjogger city mini gt too much!  they do have a bassinet attachment you can get for it if you want.  DH and I will probably just use the infant seat attached to the stroller, and forgo the bassinet.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @littlebug2010 Did you see the City Mini GT buybuybaby exclusive Charcoal color? I love that color option. The fabric is a bit thicker looking and has a good texture to it. I wasn't planning on getting the matching city go car seat but then I liked that we could safely use a seatbelt to attach that car seat instead of having to bring the base along when traveling.

I saw the bassinet option but I think it will be too much to deal with putting on and off. I'd rather just leave the car seat attachment option on the stroller full time while he's little.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 I did.  I think that might be the color we are getting!  And I thought the same thing about the bassinet.  I know we plan on going out a ton, seeing that August might be the last month of nice weather for us until may (stupid New England) so I think just putting the car seat on the stroller will be plenty for us.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • I loved the baby jogger travel system, but we are thinking of having a second pretty close to the 1st, so we are going with the bigger city select lux. That way we don't have to get a second stroller, just an extra seat and we will be all set to go. The Lux folds really small so that works best for our car. Plus, where we are in the city, we walk to a lot and like having a bigger storage space under and some of the attachments. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I've seen those wubbanubs or nookums that hang from the pacifiers and think they are so cute! Do any STMs have experience with those? I'm paranoid having the added weight somehow affects their gums/teeth? Has anyone had any issues?
  • NxyNxy member
    DD hated pacifiers but my nephew loved his "wubbie". It doesn't seem to have had any impact on his teeth or gums at all but I'm not a dentist so I can't say for sure.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kaityrj not a STM, but my niece LOVED her wubanub! She's 3 now and has had no issues with gums or teeth. I definitely plan on getting one to se if my LO enjoys it
  • Our daughter loved her wubanub for about the first 3 months, then she switched to Nuk brand. We thought it was way easy to find having a small animal attached. I don't think it would be any harder on the teeth than traditional ones. We weaned from pacifier at age 1 to try to avoid mouth problems.
  • Anyone buying an owlet? Or have personal experience with one? It goes on the foot and measures babies pulse and o2 levels while sleeping. 
  • Anyone buying an owlet? Or have personal experience with one? It goes on the foot and measures babies pulse and o2 levels while sleeping. 
    We did not. I asked our ped about them and she said they are not approved or recommended (despite what all the marketing on them states) she said that if you are following safe sleep guidelines there really isn't anything you can do to prevent sids. I do know several people that have used them. But I didn't feel necessary after my talk with my doctor, she wasn't keen on them. My personal opinion on them is that they are just another way for them to make money off parents. 
  • Does anyone have any suggestions on swing/bouncer combos?  DH and I live in a small house, and I cant decide what to get.  I dont know if I should just get a small (travel) swing that can fold up and have a standard bouncer, or get one that is a swing/bouncer combo.  However with the swing/bouncer combo they really only seem to be swing/rocker combos and dont always have the bouncer piece.  I would love any feedback on things you have used, or that you are getting!  Thanks! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @littlebug2010 I know a few people who have the mamaroo but they all say it's not worth the price. I'm interested to see if anyone has a review of the mamaroo.  We had a portable swing with DS but he hated it! (link below) He literally screamed everytime I put him in it. I plan on buying the bounceroo, hopefully this LO likes it. If not, I'm going to return it. 
     https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Harmony-Kingdom-Portable-Swing/dp/B00E3RKC36/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491237875&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+swing

• @britvahok I had a good friend who had 2 mamaroos for her twins.  she is a single mom, so she said it was a life saver, but she did say that one twin hated the movement, so really it was a crazy expensive seat for one girl, but the other loved it.   I had not looked at the bounceroo, but that might have to be on my list, depending on what I go with for swing.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @littlebug2010 I'm sorry I meant rockaroo. Damn too many aroo's got me confused. We're getting the rockaroo. I'm heard the mamaroo takes up a lot of space and the rockaroo is similar but takes up less space.

• Interesting!  I skipped over all the 4moms stuff becuase its so expensive, but I really like both the bounceroo and the rockeroo.  Hmm, more to think about! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @SouthernMama15 thanks, but can you attach the link?  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • We had the Fisher price snugapuppy swing. It's big, but LO loved it. Many of my friends had the same one and their kids all loved it as well.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• @littlebug2010  we had a swing with our first, but no bouncer. We had a fisher price rock-n-play that vibrates, so I felt a bouncer would be redundant. We loved our RNP (LO had acid reflux) so I never regretted the choice. LO hated the swing, but thankfully we were given it for free! we bought a mamaroo this time, hoping LO will like it!
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    edited April 2017
    @littlebug2010 we used a FP swing and had a little portable bouncer. If you're able to find a swing that doesnt have the crazy LONG legs ours did (and i think most do), it might be totally worthwhile to get both. Bouncer can be transported from room to room (and on trips to visit family and friends) pretty easily. The swing like I had, not so much. I will say though that the swing was great and I look forward to using it again.

Swing with annoyingly long ass legs
    https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Snugabunny-Cradle-Swing-Technology/dp/B00IVNEGLW?th=1

My sis in law has this and her baby loves it. She takes it with her to visit our MIL
    https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-CHM55-Comfort-Curve-Bouncer/dp/B01LX1G2VI/ref=sr_1_12_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1491251088&sr=1-12&keywords=bouncer

Another option, this Tiny Love Rocker -- I really loved this
    https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-3-in-1-Rocker-Napper/dp/B00OAHQCGK/ref=sr_1_30?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1491251088&sr=1-30-spons&keywords=bouncer&th=1

*edited bc i posted the wrong link to the rocker*

• DD hated the mamaroo. She threw her hands in the air like she was falling and then would get upset. Luckily it was borrowed from a coworker so I just gave it back to her. We then borrowed a Fisher Price swing from a friend and DD loved it. She would fall asleep or relax almost instantly when we put her in. This time I bought a used Fisher Price swing. Hoping this baby likes it too.
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    As far as the Wubbanub discussion goes, I loved ours but I hated that it was a pain to fully clean. I much preferred the Bright Starts one, but I believe they have now discontinued it. After throwing a fit, I found that Dr. Brown now has similar, detachable pacifiers with their stuffed animals. I really appreciated the ability to detach for cleaning and to replace the pacifier.

Brite Starts (discontinued, but looking to see if they come 
    https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Pacifiers-Cozy-Brown/dp/B00ZAOGXC0/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1491251653&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bright+starts+pacifier

Dr. Brown
    https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Browns-Pacifier-Teether-Giraffe/dp/B0155KD4LQ/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=baby-products&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1491251588&amp;sr=1-1&amp;keywords=dr+brown+pacifier+lovey&amp;th=1
  • @LSP87 I have a Wubbanub on our registry. I didn't even think about the cleaning part! Going to check out Dr. Brown now... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    @secicc12 yay! Trust me..those Wubbanubs get disgusting and it's so frustrating if the pacifier gets messed up because then the whole thing is trash. You'll also want to wash the stuffed animal part in those little mesh zippered things they recommend you use for bras and stuff. It keeps them from getting roughed up in the washer. 
  • @LSP87 thank you!! That really helps!  Navigating swings and bouncers is annoying! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Anyone have a recommendation for a video monitor that has WiFi?
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    @LeA2017! We decided to use a non-baby marketed video monitor. Saved us tons. What I love about it is that you can view it from other devices too. I always thought it was stupid that some only work on a receiver. As long as you secure your network and device, it's a great option. Ours was dlink and it's lasted for going on 3.5 years now. Offers alerts, zoom, voice communication, record, night vision.
  • Has anyone had any experience with the Graco Sous Chef highchair?  It's pricey - $200 on amazon, but I love the idea of having the newborn rocker elevated so he can hang out with me in the kitchen or wherever, plus we'd eliminate the need for a rocker.  Wanted to see if anyone had any real-life experience with it and if it was worth it.  We definitely need one that detaches into a 'seat' (we occasionally use a super low table for dinner).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGVLCM6/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl?ie=UTF8&colid=88WAJVUOSZEQ&coliid=I277JYKPIZWYGA

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I keep seeing humidifiers and dehumidifiers on registry checklists. I thought you only needed one if you're sick? Is there some other reason baby would need one right away? Anyone else registering for them or STMs have advice on those?
  • @Kaityrj I don't know why you would need a dehumidifier. Humidifiers are awesome for when you're sick (I always get a never ending cough that's helped by a humidifier).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Kaityrj Humidifiers are awesome when a LO gets sick. When they are super young there's not much else you ccan do for them but run a humidifier and auction their nose.  

I think  people register for humidifiers because it is something that is reasonably priced and they will need.