October 2017 Moms
Options

Hot Topic Tuesday - Princess Wars

2»

Re: Hot Topic Tuesday - Princess Wars

• Options
    While I don't think that having a Barbie doll with ruin them  it's not really something that I would promote. There are plenty of princesses and types of dolls the promote a more positive image than others so if I had a daughter that went to toys like that I would choose those ones instead hoping that they would set a better example for her.  I currently have a son not a daughter but I can't say that even with my son I do avoid things in our every day life that I feel set a limited and gender specific example for him. He loves to play with trucks and trains but he also has I don't know that he loves. I don't buy a lot of clothing with silly logos on it and I would be the same with a girl in terms of avoiding the clothes that say daddy's little princess. I don't think there's anything wrong with little girls wearing pink if that's what they choose when they're old enough to start choosing but I do think that saturating  A little girls closet in 95% pink clothes certainly sets the example at a very young age that this is what girls are supposed to wear and it is exactly the same for boys. Having said all of that I think it just comes down to being very conscious with your choices  you make as a parent in terms of what you approve and don't approve. If my daughter wanted a toy that really set an awful example I would explain that to them and I wouldn't buy it for them. More than anything I just find that I'm really careful with the language that I use around my son. It drives me absolutely insane when the older generation of men in my family Say things like " oh Charlie don't cry, toughen up" or tell me not to coddle him or he will be tonsensitive. I have just noticed that a lot of gender stereotypes in terms of what a boy or a girl does and personality characteristics that they will have I really implemented by the adults around that child from the moment they are born. 
  • Options
    I have zero preference what my sons prefers to play with. He loves watching "orange princess" which is Beauty and the Beast. It's his favorite. He also loves playing with babies and tucking them in and pushing them in a stroller. He loves pink too. But he also loves trucks and trains and dinosaurs and digging in the dirt. I just want him to be happy. If this baby is a girl the same will go for her. If she likes trucks and trains that's what I will buy her. If she likes pink and princess then we can do that too. 

• Siggy Warning: Loss, Living Child, Pregnancy mentioned
    • TTC Since August 2009
    • IUI #1, D/C December 2012
    • IUI #2, Natural MC March 2013
    • IUI #3 BFN
    • IUI #4 BFP Due April 2014
    • Rainbow Baby DS1 born April 2014 via emergency C-Section
    • IUI #5 February 1, 2017.....BFP due 10/25/17 with TWINS! --9w5d vanishing twin. 
    • Diagnosis: PCOS, Factor V Leiden Syndrome

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just a random side note - I've picked DD up at preschool before to find plenty of the boys wearing tutus and princess costumes. And plenty of girls dressed up like police/firefighters (yes, I know it's not the same thing, but I feel like it's "more accepted" for girls to do that vs. boys playing with girlier toys). Regardless of whether or not you want them in your house, they still might find them.

And if you could have only seen the sheer joy on those kids' faces dancing around...you couldn't tell them no.

Now, I'm pretty sure if this one is a boy, DH is not going to run out and get him a tutu or anything. But the point is, as many others have pointed out, let kids be kids. They're too young to understand the difference and all they know is they want to have fun and play with their friends. As long as they're not hurting themselves or someone else, I say let your imagination run wild. 
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's hilarious when DS comes running upstairs in one of DD1's princess dresses and dress up heels. He's playing with his sisters, using his imagination and he's having fun. So help anyone who dares to make any judgemental remarks to me about it. He will also play dolls with them (albeit, roughly and sometimes in a way to irritate his sisters), plays in the play kitchen and plays "house" as well. 

On that same note, my girls will play with the play workbench, use the hammer to "build stuff", play trains and trucks and watch and help dh when he's putting stuff together. My dad raised me to know how to fix things, change the oil in my car, change a spare tire, put together furniture, etc. I still loved princess stuff too. And my kids will all be just as well-rounded as I am.