May 2017 Moms
Options

Sleeping Positions

Tips, tricks, helpful hints?

Since most of us are into the single-digit "weeks to go," finding that elusive nighttime comfort will become even more challenging. Share ANYthing that might help a fellow bumper get some more Zzzs.

Re: Sleeping Positions

• Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    The pillows weren't cutting it for me recently, but a rolled up sweatshirt was the exact right height/softness to cradle my belly while sleeping on my side. Hopefully it'll work again tonight!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't perfected my sleep, but I have a huge, full length body pillow in front (and between my legs) and then two pillows behind me. I also use a wedge either under my belly or under my back. Recently using it under my back to help dissuade me from rolling onto my back (which keeps happening!)

Honestly, though, I don't think there's a solution.
  • Options
    No tips other than what all you mamas are doing. Insanely miserable at night with heartburn. Most nights I wake up mid vomit. Not fun. I also can't wait to sleep on my stomach again!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been sleeping on the couch because I can't get comfortable in bed lately. Heartburn is so bad when I lay down, but being propped up hurts my neck and gives me headaches. I've got a nice semi-reclined position I'm able to get into on the couch and the back of it prevents me from flipping onto my back. DH has been enjoying sleeping spread-eagle by himself lately lol.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had trouble sleeping so we bought an adjustable  sleep number and so now I only sleep with the snoogle in between my legs and got rid of all the other pillows. It's nice to adjust depending on what hurts like my hips hurt when it's too soft so I can make it more firm. Also love the adjustable head part so I can put it up when I want to sleep sitting up further on my back. 
  • Options
    I sleep with a body pillow between my legs and cradling my belly. Our bed sits away from the wall a little bit, and I have a pillow shoved in the crack to keep me from falling into it...but it also allows my belly somewhere to go so I can almost feel like I'm sleeping on my stomach. I cannot wait to sleep on my stomach again. My hips hate me.
  • Options
    I sleep with one pillow horizontally and my old lumpy pillow vertically, sort of smushed under my ribcage to prop my self and I manage to contort my legs with the blanket...I have to shift from time to time and once the pee breaks start it's awful, but that's been the best position so far.
  • Options
    I don't have much to add, other than solidarity in the awful sleep camp. Does anyone else get really warm at night? I've been sleeping with our ceiling fan on and poor DH has to pull the covers up to his chin to try to stay warm. Sorry, not sorry DH!! 
  • Options
    I have a Back N Belly pillow (the U shaped one), so I sleep with the bend under my head. I've been using 3 different positions, depending on what hurts. One is leaned forward so my whole front is at around a 45 degree angle propped against the pillow, with my arms hugging the pillow and my legs bent slightly but together (not around the pillow). Other is leaned the opposite way so my whole backside is propped against the pillow, and the other "arm" of the pillow is in between my legs. Third one, which I only resort to for short periods of time, is on my back with my legs wide open, or one straight and one open. I do a lot of flip-flopping through the night regardless, though.
  • Options
    @SWE2 your bed sounds so nice. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Add me to the "sleeps like crap" club.  I am sleeping best right now on the couch, with a ton of pillows, body pillow behind my back, and a pillow between my knees.  

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I have nothing to offer as I'm in the same boat. I usually go to bed around 9:30-10 and I sleep well until somewhere around midnight. Then I have to use the bathroom at least twice during the night and have trouble getting back to sleep after at least one of those times. I used to have such good sleep!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    @march2008 I'm with you!! Ugh
  • Options
    I dont have much to add except i saw this thread while i was wide awake from 1-5 am last night... Ive basically given up. 

By the time i got "comfortable" last night, my blanket fell off the back of the couch and my choices were to ruin my sleep position or sleep with nothing... So my pathetic two hours of sleep were made a little more miserable by having nothing to wrap up in. 9 weeks and counting on the couch. Yay. 
  • Options
    I quit sleep! Or maybe it quit me, I haven't figured that out yet:/
  • Options
    Anyone else have issues with not being able to breathe when switching sides? I can sleep reasonably comfortably on either side but when I switch sides I end up in a coughing fit because for a few minutes I can't breathe at all.. mainly my right side, it would be fine but my left side isn't as comfortable
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    I have no good solutions, only solidarity. Some nights I feel like I've only gotten an hour or so of actual sleep.
  • Options
    0408Bear said:
    I quit sleep! Or maybe it quit me, I haven't figured that out yet:/
    Sleep quit me and I get so angry at night. One night something helps but the next it doesn't. I may try to move to our recliner. 

TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    @PartiallyDomesticated: That sounds pretty uncomfortable! Hang in there.
  • Options
    Well, since I didn't sleep well last night and can't get back to sleep I'll post what I do! I have the back n belly (u-shaped) pillow. I love it! I typically use it with the closed part at my head and will put a squishy pillow on top to be a little more propped up. I start off on my left side with the part of it between my legs and the other as close to my back as I can get! I try to tuck it under me a little so if I roll on my back, which tends to happen every night, I'm not completely flat. When I wake up to pee I'll switch if I'm having a good nights sleep lol otherwise I turn throughout the night because my hips will start to ache from being in the same position. 

My my main problem with sleep is being too hot! So, lady night is contributed it to being hit and not getting comfy. I don't think the a/c us working in our apartment and that sucks! We thought it would just take awhile because of the door being open from moving, but nope. It's crazy hot. Calling in s little bit to get it checked out...I just want to sleep!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    @partiallydomesticated I had a lot of issues with laying down at all and breathing. Are you sleeping reclined? My doctor said its from the pressure pushing up so a reclined position can use gravity to keep pressure off your diaphragm. 
    (You may want to mention it to the doctor too though. I also found it subsided when I went on the heart medication. Not saying you need that obviously but you may want to mention it) 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    No suggestions, just solidarity. The lack of sleep is making me crazy. Yesterday, I was going to Target alone and got into the car on the passenger side...functioning on this little sleep is impossible. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had to sleep on the couch last night because DH was snoring so bad from bad allergies. My everything is sore and I feel like I haven't slept in days. No amount of pillows helped.
  • Options
    No suggestions but I'm right along with you ladies! I'm ready for a comfortable nights sleep. 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Options
    They fixed the a/c this morning! Thank goodness! Hoping to sleep better tonight!! 

• Options
    I had terrible hip pain and found myself switching side to side almost every hour. About a month ago I got a memory foam mattress topper and it has made a big difference. I still feel some dull pain occasionally, but nothing like before. Mind you, I still wake up around 2 AM, 4 AM and then 6 AM to pee, but it's nice not to turn as much. Now if only I could get rid of those terrible charley horses...

https://www.amazon.com/LINENSPA-Infused-Memory-Mattress-Topper/dp/B01MTO43LV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490628950&sr=8-1&keywords=linenspa+two+inch+gel+memory+twin+xl
  • Options
    Beats me! I now have Restless leg syndrome so it takes me forever to fall asleep. That plus the heartburn and all the peeing and the extreme thirst. Saturday night I was up from 3-6am. Thank goodness it was the weekend.

I took Tylenol PM (okay'd by my Dr.) last night, but it took too long to kick in. I do a lot of standing, pacing, flip flopping...

My sleep arrangement: Ceiling fan on, nightstand fan blowing in my face (a must, or I cant breathe), 1 blanket draped over whatever feels cold, one pillow under my head, 1 on my head/face (IDK), then one between my knees. I gave up on the snoogle again for a bit.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    I had terrible hip pain and found myself switching side to side almost every hour. About a month ago I got a memory foam mattress topper and it has made a big difference. I still feel some dull pain occasionally, but nothing like before. Mind you, I still wake up around 2 AM, 4 AM and then 6 AM to pee, but it's nice not to turn as much. Now if only I could get rid of those terrible charley horses...

https://www.amazon.com/LINENSPA-Infused-Memory-Mattress-Topper/dp/B01MTO43LV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490628950&sr=8-1&keywords=linenspa+two+inch+gel+memory+twin+xl
    I forgot that we purchased a memory foam topper as well! We got it when my back went out at the beginning of my pregnancy. It seems to help a lot especially since our mattress is pretty old and we need a new one, which we will be getting this weekend for free along with the bedroom set! So, excited! Its actually going down a size to a king (we have a California King right now), but hey free is free and its Tommy Bahama (not a huge fan of all of their stuff, but this is okay). And end tangent...anyway, the topper has helped a lot! More recently I've started having the achy hips from being in one position too long, but that's about it. :) 

• Options
    @sarah0985 it's not so much laying down, I can lay flat on my back just fine, with my shoulders propped up a bit, the issue with that is I snore like a freight train and my hips hurt, it's only when I switch sides which is what is weird, it hasn't been as bad in the last couple days, but LO has switched sides so that could be it. I think I'm just going to give up on sleep for the next 6 weeks and hope for the best lol.
    FFC I don't want another induction or for LO to be here before he's ready or for a non-medical reason, but with how uncomfortable I am I don't think I'd turn down another 38w induction at the moment...
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017