June 2016 Moms

Diaper Sizing

I know that most of our LOs are in size 3 by now (mine just moved there at about 8 months), but how long is baby expected to be in size 3s? I know it goes up to 28lbs, but I'm a FTM and don't know when that's expected to happen. Close to 2 years old?

Reason being is that we recently bought like 4 boxes of size 3 diapers from Up & UP. It was a massive clearance sale and each box contained 222 diapers. that's like 888 in total. Aside from that, we already have 2 boxes of 88 Pampers brand, two boxes of Huggies 100 each, and one Toys R Us box with about 188 diapers. 
Yesterday, there was another really good clearance sale and we got two packs of Pampers of 150 each, but size 3. Hubs and I are debating changing them for size 4s.

Do you think we have too many size 3s? LO is consistently in the 30 percentile for weight, but around 80 for height.

Re: Diaper Sizing

• Dd is on the small size, and she's been in size 4 for a few weeks now. She was having leaks and blowouts in size 3, even though they technically still "fit".  She just turned 9 months last week. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My daughter is now in size 4- she us about 28.5 in and 21 pounds 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Levi isn't quite 9m and is 20lbs and he's already in size 4.  Too many blowouts with size 3
  • We were fine with size 3 until Damien started crawling, then they started leaking. Might be going to size 4 as a result but may also be moving to a different diaper if the leaking while active doesn't stop.
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited March 2017
    I'd say we've been in size 3 for 4 months now. I thought about switching to size 4 for overnight, but they still work perfectly fine for daytime. Frankly, they work fine for about 8-10hrs overnight too, but I'd love a full night sleep if I can convince Jackie of it. Jackie is 9m and 22lbs.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • It depends, I put some of cam's size 3's on my 3.5yr old daughters when I ran out of pull ups the other day and they fit fine in a pinch, my biggest girl is 27 lbs, if they are wearing diapers they usually wear 4's. My kids are super narrow so that may be why it works on them still.
  • Tristan will be 10 months on the 5th and I started transitioning him to size 3 about a month and a half ago...initially I was just using them at night to catch all the pee, but use them all the time now.  Since at his 9 month appointment he was just barely 16lbs, I think we may be in these for awhile.  They still feel kind of big most of the time.  Need to get my guy to drink more of his bottles...I think the 5 teeth that are currently coming in are bothering him over the last couple of days. Poor guy.  From what it sounds like you have about 4 months worth of diapers if you average about 8 diapers a day.  Should get you at least to the 1st birthday. :)
  • Charlotte is still in a size 2 but my next auto shipment from Amazon is for a size 3. I would exchange the last two you bought for a size 4, you have a LOT of diapers! Target is great about returns so you could just keep them in the box and wait. I'm a little jealous over your diaper stockpile.
  • We use size 4 (for awhile now) and are about to switch to size 5 for Honest company overnight diapers because he has just started to leak at night. He's 23 pounds and 30 inches long. 
  • Abby is 9 months, 22 pounds. We've found it differs depending on the brand. In pampers size 3 fits her perfectly. In Huggies the 3s are just a bit too small. We just bought a box of 4s in huggies but I haven't tried them out yet. 
  • Thanks! I already switched the two boxes to a size 4 (and LO sat in the cart CRYING on and off over hunger/sleep). I didn't mention that other than those stockpiles, I also have small packages of Huggies Little movers and LUVS.