March 2017 Moms

Home Birth Check In?

BrownEyes88 & @DizzyMom  :-D

Hi mama's I'm only tracking 3 of us but I would love to stay in the loop with you guys if you're up for it! 

1. How far along are you?

2. Next appointment/any milestone you're looking forward to?

3. Rant/Rave/Positive Vibes:

4. GTKY: Tell us about yourself and how home birth prep is going! Is this your first birth? First Home birth?

Re: Home Birth Check In?

• 1. How far along are you?
     **38+4 

2. Next appointment/any milestone you're looking forward to?  
    **Our next and most likely last check in is March 1st (next Wednesday.) I'm still working on prepping our bedroom so I'm excited to get that finished up. I feel like that's going to be my mental queue that we're ready. 

RANT: I have to break it to my Mom that she will not be present during the delivery and I'm not looking forward to it. It also makes me a little sad that I don't feel comfortable sharing our plan with everyone... not only because it's a home birth, but because he's breech people are even more skeptical. I'm so excited about having a home birth  and want so badly to share it with everyone as a positive thing. Instead I know I'll have to justify my reasons and listen to horror stories. 

RAVE: I feel so relieved/comfortable that we've switched to a home birth. I wish I would have went with my gut in the beginning and just planned it that way all along. I can't wait for this experience. Ever since our hospital tour over a month ago I was really stressing over having to deliver there. I felt uncomfortable the whole time and just kept thinking to myself "this is the last place I want to be when bringing my baby into the world." I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me. I'm so happy our birth will now be that of a spiritual journey and less of a "medical" one. 

4. GTKY: Tell us about yourself and how home birth prep is going! Is this your first birth? First Home birth?
     **We just finalized this decision over the last couple of weeks so it's been somewhat of a scramble altering everything at the last minute. This is our first everything! First baby and home birth. 
  • DizzyMom good luck telling your mom! Sounds like you've already made the decision that its the best thing for you guys - which helps. I did the same with my first - zero family present (or even invited to be in the same state) There was quite a bit of backlash (from DH's family) but DS's arrival was amazing and stress free and I never heard about it again once he was here! 

I totally feel you with the whole not being able to tell anyone. I noticed that at first as soon as I said home birth I was following it up with my reaons to be proactive. Well for the record I'm in total awe of you and SUPER excited for your homebirth! Its so awesome you're doing this for your first. Before DS I only knew people that had med hospital births. So I thought I was way outside of the box with a natural birth center birth hahaha

Why do you think next week will be your last appointment? Feeling like your lo's arrival is imminent?  I've always wished that I had a "feeling" of when I'd go into labor. 

Did you get your photos/affirmations printed out?

1. How far along are you? 38w4d - @dizzymom I didnt realize we shared due dates too!! 

2. Next appointment/any milestone you're looking forward to? Actually on the same appointment schedule too... Wednesday March 1st! 

I'm feeling like this little lady will be bigger than DS who was 6.5 lbs. Ive heard second babies can be bigger due to more room - kinda sounds like the whole goldifsh concept lol. I'll be anxious to see how big she is. OFC along with just getting her in my arms!!! :-) 

I feel like I'm being a bit ridiculous but I set up the pool (the midwife has 3) and she brought the small one - 1 person mini. I think I'm going to ask her to bring the big one next week. BC what if I want DH's support/pressure/IDK while I'm in the pool. Dont want to be high maintenance but also dont want any regrets that I can so something about now.  

4. GTKY: Tell us about yourself and how home birth prep is going! Is this your first birth? First Home birth

Second birth, first home birth and I'm pretty much feeling prepared. Which is amazing. Just trying to keep a list of notes up to date for the sibling doula who will be watching my son. I feel like she's seriously going to have the hardest job out of anyone - dealing with a teething mama's boy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom took it way better than expected. We have had a very trying relationship, so I was pretty worried. I think she's a bit nervous about how this is all going to go down and would just be more comfortable waiting for news than being present. 

I'm just being hopeful about it being my last appointment. LOL I'm in no hurry to get this little guy out... it's pretty important to me he come on his own time. I've just felt this whole pregnancy that I wouldn't go over my due date. 

I did finish getting all my pictures and affirmations printed today!! They're going up tomorrow!

Too funny our schedules are lining up... maybe we will deliver on the same day!  
  • YOUR WALL IS AWESOME @DizzyMom!

You got this!

I cannot wait to hear your labor stories ladies!
  •  @DizzyMom I'm so glad to hear that your mom too it so well. What a relief!

You wall is absolutely amazing! So thoughtful and personal. I absolutely adore the photos as a reminder of the amazing things your body has already done!

Well since you've had a feeling you will go "early" and I totally hope I go "late" here's hoping we don't go into labor on the same day! :wink:
  • @DizzyMom just wanted to check in see how you were doing today? How did your appointment go?

Mine was pretty uneventful. The tub I had originally was a mini but I got a full sized today which wasn't a NEED ofc but a nice to have.

I've been so positive and excited this whole time for this home birth. The last 2 days though I feel like I'm in some sort of slump. Just out of sorts and having a hard time channeling my positive attitude. 

Any things in particular you're focusing on these last few days?

• It went well. No new news. We had some activity/discomfort last night due to the wild weather we're having here in the Midwest. Apparently drastic changes in atmospheric pressure can effect your bag of waters. LOL Our Midwife is pretty impressed that I've made it to almost 40 weeks. I guess breech babies have a tendency to make early arrivals. 

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling yourself. I had a couple days last week where I felt really off out of nowhere. I just kept telling myself it was probably a symptom or sign that baby will be here soon-ish. Maybe watch some birth videos... I try to read some positive birth stories and watch a couple videos at the end of every day so I go to bed in a positive mindset about this birth.  

After a last minute speed grocery trip this evening we are officially 100% ready for this baby! I have crossed off every to-do I had on my list so I plan to spend my final days just resting up. I'm terrible at relaxing though to be honest so I'm sure I'll find something to do. What about you? 
  • One day till our due date!!! @vino831 How are you doing? 
  • vino831vino831 member
    edited March 2017
    Hey @DizzyMom!!

Doing well! Better really! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the suggestion to watch positive videos. It has really helped to put me back in the right mindset! <3<3 

That and listening to my affirmations on repeat  :)

I keep making appointments convinced she will crash my plans but instead of her showing up I got my nails done on Thurs and my haircut today! (neither of which I can remember the last time I've done)

The name if my nail polish was - Toucan Do It!! :smiley:

So I'm just enjoying time (and naps lol) with DS until shes ready to make her appearance.

What about you? Have you been relaxing or keeping yourself busy?
  • OMG that is one of my favorite nail polish colors if it's OPI! I was actually wearing it the day I found out we were expecting. LOL 

I am so done making any plans. I fully intended to spend my week on the couch, but still managed to do small tasks like dishes, organizing, sweeping... I also made a giant batch of strong raspberry leaf tea and froze some in ice cube trays for snacking after labor and some for iced tea to have in the fridge. I did manage to take a few naps which was nice. I made a bit of an effort today to get some exercise in and walked a couple miles at the mall. Other than that DH and I are just enjoying some R&R before this baby decides to make his appearance! 
  • Wow that is too funny it is OPI!!!

I have lots of great OPI name stories lol

AND The OPI polish I was wearing when I delivered my first was the same color I was wearing when I found put about this little lady... Not Really a Waitress  :)

Happy EDD!!! 

I forgot - did you find out the gender already? 

Also random thought/question. We have a midwife, her assistant and they are bringing a student. I don't think I would tip the midwife since she owns her business and lbh I didn't decide to have a HB until so late in the game she hasn't had to allocate much time to me lol. But do you have any thoughts about tippin the assistant or student?

Glad you're getting a good balance of rest and exercise! It's definitely time for me to dial things back. My weekend was full of running around with my son (the good exercise) and running very random errands (the unnecessary exercise lol). Now that the week is starting back up I think we'll stick to home locked fun -- and napping with him any opportunity I get!! :smiley:
  • It's a boy!!!

We have a fairly large birth team. Due to the fact that he is breech our Midwife requires extra hands on deck. She's also extending an invitation to another CNM so she can learn/witness a breech birth so we'll have 5 people here. I did get a small gift (a "tree of life" diffuser necklace and some aromatherapy oils) for everyone except the training Midwife. I hadn't considered tipping anyone. =\ I know our birth assistants are paid through the Midwife's service. We also didn't hire our Midwife till around 38 weeks so we've only been with them a couple weeks so, like you, they haven't committed much time to us. I think, if for some reason, the birth is long or complicated I may consider tipping. 
  • Yeah for a boy!!!! Seriosuly I've absolutely adored being a mama to a boy. So excited for you!!! I feel like having this little lady will be uncharted waters- I mean a little me running around?!   ;)   :p   <3

A gift is such a GREAT idea!!!

Last time I tipped my Doula but we had a super long labor and she went super above and beyond (ie I forgot our cooler for placenta encapsulation so after DS was here she went out and bought a cooler for us)

I think I will follow your lead with a gift - much more personal and less pressure to figure out an amount!
  • 40+5!!!!  Our Midwife is very impressed since breech babies tend to make early arrivals. It's a really good thing in terms of delivery since the larger the rump the more stretched the cervix will be for the head. As a FTM I can't wait to snuggle this little guy and am very anxious/excited to meet him, but I know he will come when he's ready on his own time. I'm doing my best to enjoy these final days... I find myself paying more attention to his little nudges, because I know that my time of feeling him wiggle in there is nearing its end. Meanwhile, I've made what will (hopefully) be my finally grocery run AGAIN!!! LOL 

We received some disappointing news this morning. Our doula has the flu so she will most likely be unable to attend the birth. We will still have a doula, but we really liked this one. 

I hope you're doing well! 
  • vino831 said:
    Wow that is too funny it is OPI!!!

I have lots of great OPI name stories lol

AND The OPI polish I was wearing when I delivered my first was the same color I was wearing when I found put about this little lady... Not Really a Waitress  :)

Happy EDD!!! 

I forgot - did you find out the gender already? 

Also random thought/question. We have a midwife, her assistant and they are bringing a student. I don't think I would tip the midwife since she owns her business and lbh I didn't decide to have a HB until so late in the game she hasn't had to allocate much time to me lol. But do you have any thoughts about tippin the assistant or student?

Glad you're getting a good balance of rest and exercise! It's definitely time for me to dial things back. My weekend was full of running around with my son (the good exercise) and running very random errands (the unnecessary exercise lol). Now that the week is starting back up I think we'll stick to home locked fun -- and napping with him any opportunity I get!! :smiley:
    Not a homebirth mom but following anyway. :) What about a thank you gift for each?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • vino831vino831 member
    edited March 2017

Oh no I’m sorry to hear about your doula! That would be disappointing after going through everything to find someone you clicked with. Guess there would be a (very slight) silver lining of your little man waiting a bit longer for her to get better?

I’m a STM and in the same boat as you balancing the excitement of meeting her but also letting her take her time and choose her own birth day lol (We have the 7th, 11th and the 12th in the family)

So awesome you’re enjoying his presence like that. I remember when DS was a few days old and I was holding him. He kicked my belly in the same spot he always did from the inside and it was a hard to describe whoa moment. Like it took a minute to process that the feeling didn’t come from the inside even though I was holding him. Maybe I was just tired!

• wow I guess there is a text limit or something... my stuff keeps getting cut off... heres the rest lol

I did find out on Wednesday that I am actually able to go over 42 weeks for this birth. I think going from the birthing center to the home birth both with midwives I just assumed 42 weeks was the cut off. She said her last mama was almost 43 weeks!! Obviously, there’s a LOT more monitoring after 41 weeks. Speaking of… has your midwife started to talk NST for you?

I figure if this lo is still cozy after 41 I will consider hooking myself up to the pump or enlist the assistance on my in-home prostaglandins producer! hahaha

Once the snow/wintery mix has stopped here and DS wakes from his nap we’re headed back out for what will hopefully be our last grocery run too!!!

• She just got sick today so he'd have to hold out for quite some time if we didn't want to risk it.

Our Midwife hasn't mentioned anything about an NST and as long as baby is moving ok and checks out fine during check-ins we can wait it out also.

I have been having some very very small sporadic contractions as of yesterday. We also tried to go for a walk today and couldn't even make it a mile because this little guy is so low so these are all good signs! My birthday is on the 15th... at this rate I may be spending it in labor. Hehe  

We hadn't planned a going home outfit when we were planning on a hospital birth. I just threw a sleeper in the bag, but I wanted something special for his home arrival so I ordered a onsie that says "Born at Home" on it. Did you get anything special? I also went out today and bought mini bundt cakes for our birth team and one for baby (basically a treat for me after all the hard work! LOL) They threw in a small "Happy Birthday" flag for the cake so it should make for a cute photo op. They only last 5 days in the fridge though so if he doesn't come by then I'll just have to eat them all and buy more. :D 

...and Awww I love that story about the kicks! 
  • @DizzyMom the happy birthday flag is soo sweet! I'm right there with you hoping this little one comes in time for the birth team to help eat all of this stuff I keep buying! :smiley:

I LOVE the idea of the Born at Home onsie!  I can't wait to see a picture of your sweet little man wearing it! :smiley:

You know I never actually bought a going home outfit either. I have however been on the hunt for a newborn hat for her for a while. When DS was born the newborn hats that I had were all too big for him. So I finally broke down and bought a hat/swaddle set similar to this. 

So how are you feeling? We had the anticipation of a huge snow storm but we were on the southern band of it. Turns out that we are just getting a ton of ice/freezing rain. Still happy that she didn't decide to come last night bc I wouldn't have wanted so many people out on the roads. So now we're all thinking maybe she doesn't care for the cold and hes waiting for it to warm up again (back in the 50's in a couple days!!)

• I'm hanging in there! We had a snow storm the last couple days as well. Fortunately baby held out! 

Today is my Birthday and the Nothing Bundt Cakes are no good after today so I'm hopeful we will be having a baby soon! Lol 
  • Happy Birthday!!!!!!! Thought this was pretty darn appropriate!!!

• LOL Thank you! I've had my "show" earlier today so we are officially making progress! 
  • Lurking 
    I'm so sorry to butt in on your thread I hope it's not too much of an intrusion. I'm from sept 16, I was a planned home birth that ended up a cesarean birth for many different reasons. @DizzyMom if you dont mind me asking what state are you in? I'm in California and it's no longer legal to have a breech home birth. I've done so much research on home birth to prepare from my own, which is why I'm following your story. That's pretty cool you can do a breech birth at home. Hopefully that baby will come soon and I wish you the best of luck!! 
  • HI createillumination, I can't remember what state dizzymom is in but I'm in Maryland and started my HB midwife search with a breech babe and each of them (but 1) had delivered breech babies and were willing/able to deliver mine if she didn't flip (which she did at 38w).

• @createillumination We are in Illinois. The laws here are screwy as they are old and outdated. We did have to seek an out of state Midwife. There are very few that attend births in Illinois and we needed someone with training/experience in breech delivery. I know California laws are no joke when it comes to home birth. I haven't had any issues fortunately. Even when I relinquished care from my CNM at the hospital they were all very supportive. 
  • Yay I'm so excited for both of you! That is just beyond awesome that there are people there with that experience!! California is so super strict! Even though I made the choice to go to the hospital myself because I wasn't progressing, we would have ended up there no matter what because of California laws. My DS had passed meconium in utero which is an automatic transfer. I'll be following and thinking good thoughts for you guys and can't wait to hear your birth stories if you share them! 
  • Have you guys had your babies yet?!
  • @vino831 are your midwives in MD or in VA? I'm in MD and it sounds like we may be at the same practice. Lol

• @createillumination I actually had the meconium hospital transfer with DS (my first) I started out at the birthing center but stalled for several hours with no progress at 6cm. Allowed the midwife to break my waters at 5 am and yep... MD state laws for birthing centers.. equaled transfer for us too.

Our little lady was born on 3/16, we just decided on her name today so I was going to make the announcement :) With DD she actually had meconium as well. My water broke an hour before she was born though so no tranfer and she didnt have any issues/ingestion etc. When I was interviewing midwives that was a first question I asked and mine explained that it depends on when its recognized in the labor process. If my water broke early and there was meconium I probably would have ended up with a transfer but alter in the process there is less likely ingestion so they dont do a transfer unles needed postpardum. Which our DD came out screaming with zero issues. :)

@hisqueen78 Im in MD. For DS I went to Special Beginnings. With DD I spent 90% of my pregnancy with Bay Area before deciding to do homebirth. 

• Congratulations @vino831!! That's awesome you didn't have to transfer and got your home birth. Enjoy your squish!!
  • Wow DizzyMom you're a rock star!!!! Congratulations on your healthy baby boy!! Welcome to motherhood mama! Your little man has an amazing strong mama!! <3<3<3 
  • @vino831 oh ok. My birth center is in VA. I've used a midwife with all 3 of my babies but up here they seem a bit more progressive than my last 2. Although it has been 10 and 16 years since I've used one.