September 2017 Moms
Options

Just Between Friends/What to buy used

Good morning! I just found out about the Just Between Friends consignment sales and I am super intrigued. There are quite a few coming up within an hour drive (I live in middle of nowhere TX so an hour is totally normal) and was wondering if anyone has been and if they are as cool as they sound? As a FTM I am also very excited about the pre sale opportunities! 
That said, what do y'all feel comfortable buying used? I am mostly looking for a stroller at the moment (I want a BOB without breaking the bank) Also clothes. I've heard them have maternity clothes which would be great! Other than that, I am not sure about used stuff. Can I sufficiently sanitize a pack n play and stuff like that?!
thanks and sorry for the novel

Re: Just Between Friends/What to buy used

• Options
    Last time I bought a used swing, baby monitor, nursing cover, car seat canopy, maternity clothes, maybe some other stuff. I think a pack n play would be fine. I got a new stroller last time as a gift, but now I am wanting a double stroller, and plan to check out one of our local consignment events to look for one. I am unfamiliar with the Just Between Friends specifically, but we locally have a couple of other baby/kids consignment events that come around every few months.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I just went to one and bought my son an entire summer wardrobe! A lot of the stuff they sell there isn't even used its brand new with the tags still on it! For the used stuff just take it off the rack and look it over really good, make sure it doesn't have any holes, stains, or is faded. I found a ton of great t shirts shorts and polos for DS that look like they've never been worn before 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Things I bought second hand or would be comfortable getting second hand:
    Change table
    Rocking Chair
    Clothing ( well washed of course)
    Crib ( as long as you make sure its in full working order and there have been no recalls on it)
    Crib bedding
    Diaper genie

• Options
    @hatrats oh I hadn't even thought about a baby monitor. Oops! I'm hesitant to ask for the stroller I want because it's not cheap haha
    @lap018 that's amazing to hear! I am excited that at least one is after we should know if it's a boy or girl! Now I am even more excited. 
    @souptin thanks! I hadn't thought about the rocking chair much either. And I always hear such mixed reviews on buying a used crib but I imagine if it's set up and looks good we should be safe!
  • Options
    Ohh and one more, I think I would be comfortable buying a baby carrier second hand ( brand dependent of course) Last time I bought a new ergo at like $150 but I could have bought it second hand for $50-$75.
  • Options
    @souptin oh that's great! I need to do some brand research but that sounds amazing. I know I want one just not exactly which one lol 
  • Options
    Honestly I think we got everything but the car seat second hand with our second. I took what was given to me and donated what wasn't to our standards. The only thing I need for this baby is a double stroller and clothes if it's a girl. But lucky for me my sister just had a girl 2 weeks ago and I have kept every piece of clothing from our son. Ok so I literally kept everything because I knew we would have another one. 
  • Options
    I think baby carriers is its own post- there is SO much out there- the best advice for anyone is to not commit yourself to anything until you've tried it out and on yourself. Everyone fits in them differently- its impossible to know until you've given it a try.
  • Options
    @tfrangul haha yeah the car seat was my obvious no way item lol
  • Options
    Yup, my only absolute no second hand is a car seat.  And honestly, I would hope that any reputable children's consignment would not do this, although I'm sure it's far from the case.

I'm willing to take anything second hand that I can get!  Clothes are a big part of this, since they go through so many/ get so many stained, etc.  Yellow poop + white onesies isn't the best of combinations. Being a STM, I already have a lot of the stuff we need, and if we have another boy, we'll be pretty set.  

Video monitors are great to have, the only problem you may have is that the hand set can and will die on you.  If you buy second hand, make sure that you check that it works first.  

We're considering a double stroller, but given how much I hate the full size single stroller we got for DS (after having the frame stroller + infant seat when he was younger), I'm thinking we'll probably skip it.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Oh another one is exercsauer- those things are SO expensive new, mine was over $100 but second hand they go for next to nothing.

• Options
    @ColoradoHiker yes! I am so not aboveboard second hand...especially when it's stuff thatll only be useful for a short time!
    I am genuinely excited to shop for a stroller. But a double just sounds really intimidating I think. That's a lot of stroller!
  • Options
    @Sprite2012 thanks! That's the hope! We are already planning baby's first trip to Disney World (aka mom and dad want to go back asap) for February so the more money we save the better 
  • Options
    The mom swap groups on Facebook are amazing, if you are comfortable with that kind of thing. 
  • Options
    @Msashley2010 yes! I plan on joining those as soon as we let people know we are having a baby. 
  • Options
    Unless you want to be a brand snob for certain items (I definitely HATE Gerber brand clothes) I recommend looking into prices at the stores you plan to shop at, get prices for the brands you want and similar quality brands, then compare at the consignments to find the best deal.  Sometimes you can get new things for almost the same as their used counterparts when using coupons.  For instance, Buy Buy Baby gives $20% off 1 item coupons plus you can use $10 off $30+ coupons.  It doesn't matter if the coupons are for Buy Buy Baby or Bed Bath & Beyond, both are accepted.  Target periodically has spend $100 in Baby items, get a $20/25 gift card. 

For cleaning items that cant go in the washing machine, we use dawn and hot water then dry in the sun.  You can also use upholstery cleaner if your LO isn't sensitive (mine is). They also make specific sheets to cover the pack n play mattress so you could always get those too.  

Current recommendations are to never use a car seat second hand unless you know 100% that it has not been involved in any kind of accident.  You also aren't supposed to reuse a mattress or shoes (if they were used to walk in) since each person sleeps and walks differently.  Obviously do what you're comfortable with and what's comfortable for your budget.  
  • Options
    We're moving in May, and I also have a shower in early June with my mom's family (it's the only time we can all get together), so I'm going to wait until after that to buy too much. But I think I will probably get a video monitor , diaper genie, bumpo, plenty of clothes, etc. used. I plan to shop a lot of consignment stores once we move. (There are surprisingly few consignment stores here for the size of city we live in.)  

• Options
    I will say that usually I buy all my baby clothes from carters because of their rewards program, I was able to buy DS 2 pairs of shoes for free with that but once they turn like 12 months all the baby shower clothes have run out and unless you have an endless supply of hand me downs being sent your way then you'll have to buy them a new wardrobe for every season change. So since he had literally zero shorts or t shirts for summer I went to JBF consignment and am so glad I did, I bought him a ton of stuff and I bought baby girl some stuff too! And the bows I got a really great deal on
  • Options
    @lap018 do you know if the rewards for Carters also works at the outlet? We have one just down the road from my work and that would be awesome
  • Options
    I want to say yes because the outlets always ask me if I am a rewards member and for my phone number but you'd have to call the outlet close to you and ask probably @MrsJessS
  • Options
    tfrangul said:
    Honestly I think we got everything but the car seat second hand with our second. I took what was given to me and donated what wasn't to our standards. The only thing I need for this baby is a double stroller and clothes if it's a girl. But lucky for me my sister just had a girl 2 weeks ago and I have kept every piece of clothing from our son. Ok so I literally kept everything because I knew we would have another one. 
    Same here. Car seat was new everything else I'm all for saving money and buying second hand!!
  • Options
    This will be our first kid so i can't speak of previous experiences. My sister in law has two now (8 and 4 yo) so thankfully we wont have to buy anything besides the car seat ! she's been so kind and has given us everything, from bassinet to bed, clothes, stroller. I mean the fact that i know what type of house she lives in helps lol, but dont get me wrong, im not buying the carseat new either. Im gonna buy it from Kijiji or Craigslist. I like the fact that when u go to buy it, u get to see the house (clean or not) and the people you re buying it from, So def a yes to second hand stuff for me. The only thing i guess i would not buy second hand hadnt it been from my SIL, would be the matress !
  • Options
    @mrsjesss; the carters outlet works for me for the rewards program! 
  • Options
    lap018 said:
    SayaSa said:
    This will be our first kid so i can't speak of previous experiences. My sister in law has two now (8 and 4 yo) so thankfully we wont have to buy anything besides the car seat ! she's been so kind and has given us everything, from bassinet to bed, clothes, stroller. I mean the fact that i know what type of house she lives in helps lol, but dont get me wrong, im not buying the carseat new either. Im gonna buy it from Kijiji or Craigslist. I like the fact that when u go to buy it, u get to see the house (clean or not) and the people you re buying it from, So def a yes to second hand stuff for me. The only thing i guess i would not buy second hand hadnt it been from my SIL, would be the matress !
    I think the issue people have with buying car seats second hand is not due to cleanliness but due to the fact that no one can guarantee you that the seat has never been involved in an accident making it faulty and in need of replacement unless of course you intimately know the person, even then I wouldn't put the safety of my child on the word of a stranger 
    I honestly didnt even know that was a reason ! Never even thought about it, i just thought it would necessarily show if it had been into an accident. The only thing thing i should watch out for was cleanliness and date of fabrication !! 
  • Options
    @lap018 and @Becky012016 I guess I'll just have to go browse at lunch ;)
  • Options
    thanks @lap018 !!!!! i'll definitely start reading !
  • Options
    awildroseawildrose member
    edited March 2017
    I LOVE JBF! 

I always hit shoes and clothes for sure. I like to buy gear like exersaucers, Bumbo-like seats, large toys, etc. I stay away from mattresses, electronics, underwear/socks, bottles, and car seats. I hope you find good deals! I bought over $100 worth of Aden and Anias blankets for $25 a couple years ago. 

Ps. The good shoes go super fast! I stop at shoes first always. 

Edit: spelling
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    @awildrose I'm probably going  to hit up at least 3 in the area so fingers crossed at least one will have things I actually need...I'm sure I'll find lots of "wants."
    Is a Bumbo worthwhile? I wasn't sure about them 
  • Options
    @MrsJessS I had one with the tray with my first two and liked it. I'm getting a different type of seat that is a little better of a fit than a Bumbo this time. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    @MrsJessS I never had a Bumbo and never felt like I needed one, but I'm sure many people feel differently since they are so popular. I always just used my boppy nursing pillow to prop up DD and it worked fine.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @MrsJessS I couldn't justify the $60+ price tag on them for such limited use. Like others I propped my son up on a bobby or used his  bouncy seat ( which was super portable and got a lot of use)
  • Options
    @hatrats and @Souptin that's one of the drawbacks to me. I already have too much stuff and it's a lot of money for something that isnt useful all that long. Also saw something about them actually being counterproductive when it comes to sitting up and all that. But I'm sure there are a million sides to that story haha

Is a boppy washable? I know the covers are but I'm thinking the actual pillow. 
  • Options
    Outlet mall shopping is so so fun! 
  • Options
    SouptinSouptin member
    edited March 2017
    @MrsJessS This is the bouncy* seat we used instead of a bumbo. We got a LOT of use of out it- I think new its like $30 but you can find them second hand as well.