June 2015 Moms
Options

Still breastfeeding?

Not sure how many people are around still. Just wondering if anyone is still nursing and how you plan to wean. If my DD is not done at two I'm going to have to wean her, if not before. It's just too much for me. I don't want the weaning process to be traumatizing for either of us. Curious what others are doing, have done or plan to do.

Re: Still breastfeeding?

• Options
    I'm not breastfeeding but my Lo is still on the Bottle for milk. My goal is by two as well. So so hard! My thinking is that by two LO will understand more and I can just talk him out of bottle. Lol

does your LO cry a lot the times you've tried weaning?? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I haven't tried yet. When I tell her no (because I'm limiting breastfeeding to morning, before nap, before bed & middle of the night) she gets a little mad but if I try to cut one of those set times she definitely cries a lot). I don't offer but I'm not refusing if she asks at one of those times. So someday see only nurse one or two times but usually its four still,
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ciennah99 looks like she associating sleep with the boob. my Lo was taking bottle 3x (nap, before bed and middle of night) but see previous post. We on day 4 no bottle and no milk actually during these times. I'm offering milk in a straw cup in morning after he wakes and after lunch. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm still breastfeeding but plan to wean shortly after she turns two. I exclusively breastfed until she was one, and at that point we weren't doing any middle of the night feedings. It was just morning, before nap(s), and at bedtime. I cut out the nap-time feedings at first by having my husband put her down for a nap more often. For the past couple months I've been skipping the morning feeding a couple/few days a week when my husband is able to get up with her. She doesn't fuss about not getting that nursing time since she's up and running playing with her toys. I figure by the end of the month to pretty much be done with the morning nursing. Then that gives a few months to just have the bedtime nursing before she turns two. So I've been slowing cutting out a session every few months or so (and using distractions and having my husband step in instead of me to help my daughter not think about nursing).

I don't think she 'needs' the bedtime nursing to go to sleep, but I'm not looking forward to her looking sad or disappointed when that final weaning time comes. :'( I'm hoping she becomes disinterested on her own, but I don't foresee that so far.
  • Options
    @enigmaticjj I'm hoping mine loses interest in her own at some point. I don't think I can handle the sad face.
  • Options
    @ciennah99, yeah, I'm already afraid of me being sad since it's kind of sentimental. End of an era sort of thing. 
  • Options
    I weaned my son at 20 months because I'm pregnant, it was very uncomfortable, and my supply had diminished so much that he was getting frustrated. He was down to nursing at wake up and before bed. I travel for work a couple times/month so I knew he was fine without it, when I wasn't around. 

The first two nights were hard, but then we talked about how "mommy's milk is all gone" and so he drank a cup of cow milk for a few nights. He was a little sad for a week or so, but not much.

Honestly, it was much easier than I thought it would be. I felt only relief to be done and he wasn't too upset. We still snuggle as much as always (perhaps more now).
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 congratulations on the pregnancy! I'm very excited for you! 
  • Options
    Congrats @virginiaunicorn11 when are you due?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    DD self-weaned around 18 months.  By a year, she was getting milk in bottles all day and only nursing once around 530pm and once before bed at night.  I got pregnant again in September.  She weaned the 530pm feed in November when I was about 10 weeks and the bedtime feed in early January when I was about 17 weeks.  I suspect my supply had diminished enough that she just lost interest.  We replaced nursing with about 15 minutes of rocking in her bedtime routine.  Strangely my boobs never hurt until after I weaned.  Then all of a sudden the pregnant boobs happened.  I was like "what could you guys possibly need to be preparing for, you literally produced milk until a week ago."
  • Options
    beemaya83 said:
    Congrats @virginiaunicorn11 when are you due?
    Thanks! July 2!
  • Options
    beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited April 2017
    @virginiaunicorn11 that is my birth day! Too cool! 

I gave birth to #2 this past 4/11! I forget how little they are and how big my first is. Enjoy every moment with yours!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    beemaya83 said:
    @virginiaunicorn11 that is my birth day! Too cool! 

I gave birth to #2 this past 4/11! I forget how little they are and how big my first is. Enjoy every moment with yours!
    Oh my goodness, congrats!! I hope you're having an easy recovery and transition. 
  • Options
    Still BFing over here. I'm sure he'll be nursing for at least another year. The plan is just to let him do his thing, and he is pretty enthusiastic right now while getting those last molars pushed through. 
  • Options
    Congrats on the new babies (here and coming soon!).  This will be my only babe and I can't believe how quick the time goes.  Bittersweet but a big accomplishment for me today.  I got LO down for a nap without nursing!  She has slowly been tapering off how much nursing she is doing but I wanted to eliminate the nap nursing (nursing is starting to be painful for me and with my autoimmune condition I may need to start up some new meds that won't be compatible with nursing).  Starting a week ago I had my husband take over night duty (poor guy) but that was an easy way to eliminate the night nursing.  She's still waking up around 5 or 6 but he's been able to get her back to sleep without me.  I'm fine with the morning and night nursing for now.  I let her if she asks if she doesn't we skip it.  Anyway, wanted to share because it's hard for me to let go even though I'm ready.  Two times a day seems a lot more manageable to me than four.  I'm also planning my first 3 day weekend away from LO at the beginning of June so I wanted to tackle the night time nursing before than.  Hope it goes well.  I'm sure I'll be a mess as that trip may be the end of nursing for us but it's been a good run!
  • Options
    Uh, I'm still breastfeeding. Please tell me this will stop eventually. Im scared I will be nursing a kindergartner.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    @KonaCoffeeBean  right there with you girl. Mine was doing better and then got hand foot mouth so was nursing a lot  more for comfort and because it hurt for her to eat anything . I think I'm back down to twice a day. Having her dad put her to sleep so if she does nurse before hand it's not for long. I think the morning session will be our last to give up but who knows? She still asks for it pretty often but I tell her no unless it's morning or night.
  • Options
    Still nursing pretty often over here. Hit the WHO minimum recommended age! I try not to offer but on hot days it is convenient if I forget a water bottle   :). It is nice for him to have the extra immune boost and it definitely calms him when upset or teething.