Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping while out & about

We are expecting 2.0 at the end of May so I'm starting to get organized. I was able to nurse DS for about 7 months and then EP until 11.5 months. 

One huge hurdle that I always struggled to solve was how to handle pumping while out and about without DS with me to just nurse. Scenarios varied... sometimes it was dinner and a movie with some girlfriends, running errands for a few hours, or being away from the office on work related things (and thus no access to my pumping room)... etc

I had moments of supply concerns so I was always paranoid to skip a pumping session... and when supply wasn't a concern, skipping a pumping session would result in crazy leakage. 

Tips and tricks?? 

I have a manual medela pump and I once pumped a bit in a public restroom but I felt wicked awkward because I was holding 1 of 2 stalls hostage AND you could hear what I was doing.... 

Re: Pumping while out & about

• Options
    I've pumped in my car before with a blanket to cover (but honestly I think the blanket makes it look even stranger and more obvious). If I'm planning to be out I try to pump before I go to avoid engorgement and having to pump away from home. 
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    madmyluvmadmyluv member
    edited March 2017
    I have two pumps. Madela I take to work to pump and  I forget the other brand but I got it free through my insurance. The free one I put batteries in it and keep that on in my car in the event I need to pump I use that one. I've also pumped while driving and out a sweater over me or just cover with my shirt (seriously no one can tell). If I'm out with friends I just go to the car and pump. Hope this helps. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pump in the car when needed. Maybe try the Freemie cups? They're not super discrete but you can put them under your shirt so all you see in the tubing which is nice.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options

I pump in the car when needed. Maybe try the Freemie cups? They're not super discrete but you can put them under your shirt so all you see in the tubing which is nice.
    Freemie cups!! I knew about them but didn't know enough... but having done some research.... I think this will totally be an option!  They have a manual option so I could pump anywhere and not have to disrobe.... Yay :)
  • Options
    I also vote pump in the car, and make sure to carry lots of ice packs around with you.

• Options
    I pumped in the car a lot with a battery pack.  A flowy top covered it ok but I'd use a big scarf too sometimes.