September 2017 Moms

Trying to keep it together

Hi ladies. Im not one to post stuff like this but I really like this group and I'm hoping to find someone who has been through something similar and really just some words of encouragement. 
Ok so trying to keep this short. My husband and I have been together for 5 years and have a love for each other I never imagined. He took my daughter in as his own no questions asked. He is the only dad she knows. We had our son Dec 2015. This last year had been pretty overwhelming because he started using meth. He was hospitalized twice in 2016 and has been sober since his last hospitalization which was the beginning of November. At that time he was also diagnosed with psychosis. After a month of treatment for drugs and his illness he came home. I got pregnant immediately. Since being home he has been getting progressively worse (severe paranoia and delusions) last weekend I had to call the police and contact his doctor. He was hospitalized again on Monday. They are now saying it is schizophrenia. I love this man and vowed in sickness and health. He has been court ordered to do injections once a month. I know if he takes the meds he will be ok. My family and my husband s family are everything but supportive. I have been the only one working for over a year and trying to hold this family together. My dad went as far as saying yesterday, "what are you maintaining? You have nothing." I am also dealing with our house in foreclosure and fraud. Our "normal" lives have been turned upside down in such a short time and somehow I haven't cracked yet. Sorry for the book just wondering if any of you have dealt with severe mental health and have any advice? Thank you in advance!

Re: Trying to keep it together

• So sorry you are having to deal with all this. I wish I could offer some advise but all I can say is stay strong and do what you need to do for you and your babies! Mental illness is such a hard thing to deal with.
  • I have no advice either. I am so sorry you are going through this and you are very strong to try and keep it all together. 

• Loading the player...
  • sugarpixxie2sugarpixxie2 member
    edited March 2017
    I have family members (an uncle and a cousin)  who are schizophrenic but not a significant other.   It is a huge spectrum so the diagnosis itself won't tell you what his life will be like.  My uncle used to live independently  (but next door to us so we could monitor him and make sure he was taking care of himself) but he currently  lives in a VA assisted facility.  He is on track to move out and be in his own again though and possibly get his driver's license.  He is an awesome person but the trouble with this disease is the medications stop working at some point and you have to change the doses to find out what works again.  If you can stick through it all I hope it works out!  Whatever is best for your babies. 

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• @sugarpixxie2 I am grateful for the fact that my husband's doctor is awesome and has been super supportive. From what he has said since it was caught in such early stages he has a better chance at a "normal" life. I am hoping and praying that this is true. My husband is such a good person and this has just been so scary for all of us. But yes my children do come first. No matter how much I love him. They are innocent little beings and they need me more. 
  • I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. My father was diagnosed with schizo-effective disorder and manic depressive disorder when I was just a child. I don't recall him ever seeing things but he did hear things and he would warp the things that he did see into something more frightening than they were. With treatment, he improved greatly. It was a long road finding a medication that worked properly though. And the transition through medicine changes were difficult for everyone. My father was an amazing person, father and grandfather and it was so hard to see him battle with these types of issues. I never felt that he deserved to go through that. 

My mother did everything that she could to help him. She stood by him throughout all of it until the day he passed. The last fifteen years of his life you would have never known that he was mentally ill. I began to realize that my mother depended on him just as much as he depended on her and they truly weathered the storm and made it through. 

I can most certainly relate to the helplessness you feel with your situation. Especially with going through pregnancy as well, I cannot imagine. Of course you want what is best for you and your children but you love your husband as well. 

The main thing I would think about in your situation is how your husband responds to treatment and whether or not he poses any risk to you and your children. For a short while we were separated from my dad until he agreed to seek treatment. 

I wish you the absolute best. If you ever need anyone to talk to please feel free to PM me anytime. 
  • I am so sorry you're going through all of this it sounds like a lot and you sound like a very strong person. I don't have any experience with schizophrenia. I know this is very different but my mother has suffered her entire life from extreme untreated bipolar disorder and like your husband and many with mental illnesses she also began abusing drugs. This part of what you're going through I have been through and it is very hard on loved ones to watch and live through. Obviously I don't know your husband's back story but I would imagine even being undiagnosed his family had dealt with symptoms for a long time. While I don't want to say the way his family is acting is ok I can completely understand where they are coming from. There was a good 4-5 year period where o could not handle my mom anymore and I refused to see or speak to her. With that being said your husband is lucky to have you in his life and while each individual person has to want to find help and accept the treatment on their own (the more we try to force them into it the worse the situation becomes) it does world's for them to have that supportive person. Your decision to stand by him and support him as long as you think it makes sense for your family will never be wrong even if no one else can see it. If I were you I would consider a support group or therapy to help you manage all of that stress! I hope he gets the help he needs and you guys make it through This! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a cousin with schizophrenia. He was able to live a normal life with meds, but would stop taking them. He's now in a state hospital, but on his meds, so he can get away sometimes for weddings and stuff. I think a big issue with him is that he needs someone to make sure he is in his meds. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @Msashley2010 thank you for your support and advice. It made me cry! I did leave my husband for awhile last year right before he was hospitalized. He was so lost and i felt horrible but I knew what I needed to do for my kids. 
    @SuperKristy85 his parents have no reason to just throw him away like they have. His mental health issues are very recent. He is very young. Only 27, and moved out when he was 18. They just don't want to "deal" with him. They haven't seen or asked about the kids in 3 months and they live 10 min away. They just suck and it hurts me because I know it hurts my husband.
  • @tfrangul I agree with you and i didn't mean to make it sound like they did. It's just a tough situation for you :-( 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @SuperKristy85 I did not mean for that to come off rude. I just thought I would explain more. I just don't understand them and I never will I guess. I do appreciate your advice and I have been looking into some family therapy and different support group stuff. I am going to talk to my pastor tomorrow as well. 
  • I have no personal experience but I wanted to say that I am so very sorry that you are going through this and I really hope everything turns out okay for you and your family. Sending big creepy internet hugs to you.
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, a lot of mentally ill people do turn to drugs to try to "fix" what is going on. You are right that as long as he does stick with the right medication, he should be able to function normally. Is he going to be seeing a therapist, too? (Sorry if you said that and I missed it.) 

I can't even imagine how difficult this must be to go through while pregnant. Don't forget to take care of yourself!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tfrangul You should never feel guilty for leaving (even if temporarily) a situation that could be potentially harmful to you and your children. 

Hopefully he responds well to treatment and becomes more like himself with time, especially with your love and support. His children are also a perfect reason and motivation to work toward getting better. Sometimes, depending on the person, it takes a little while to get the dosages just right and sometimes medicine changes can temporarily worsen symptoms until people are used to them. 

I truly feel for you because my family loved through this as well. Ultimately our story ended up being a happy one because my father found himself again and he sought treatment way way later in life than your husband currently is. Hopefully with him being young and actively being treated, he will have a great opportunity to improve. 

You and your family will be in my thoughts!! 
  • Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't have any experience with this, but I really wish there was something I could do for you. I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • @HollyGolightly09 yes he will be seeking therapy as well. 
    @Msashley2010 yes his kids are a huge motivation for him. I dropped some stuff off at the hospital this morning and this is not supposed to be allowed but the nurses let him come to the door and let him hold our son! It was a beautiful and heart breakingmoment. They both just hugged each other and the baby just held him. They were both so happy to see each other. I wanted to hug him and hold him but he is very upset with me at the moment...ill deal with it as long as he is getting better.
  • yasandsonyasandson member
    edited March 2017
    I feel useless, as i have no advice. Just wanted to say im sending positive thoughts your way, ill be praying for your husband, your kids n u. I sincerely hope your fam will wake up and offer you both the support you need! Hugzzzz ❤️be strong  mama, ur hubby and kids need you to. 
  • mrs_tacosmrs_tacos member
    edited March 2017
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I think you've gotten some good feedback, here. I have never dealt with schizophrenia, but other mental health disorders, like bi-polar and borderline personality disorder, run in my family, and I know it can be so hard to watch someone you love dearly struggle so much. I really commend you for being willing to stick with him through thick and thin, he's lucky to have you!

I think at this point, my two of my big concern would be 1:making sure the drug use is truly over, and 2: working with doctors and mental health professionals to figure out what kind of life you can expect to lead. Have you talked with anyone other than his doctor? Maybe a psychiatrist who is an expert on schizophrenia who can help give you a better perspective on what you can do to help him, what reasonable limits are to helping him, etc? 

• jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited March 2017
    This sounds very overwhelming and I am sorry you are going through this. This is typically when schizophrenia presents itself. It is normally early-mid 20s. I have a cousin that is schizophrenic and it can be rough for her family. She does monthly injections as well because she didn't like taking re medicine. Once she is off the paranoia is extreme and she has to be hospitalized. With the injections she has been fine for at least 5 years. 
    Honestly, the meth is what I would have a huge issue with WAY over the mental illness. Meth will only make his mental illness worse. Not to mention it is illegal and you could have your children taken away if he does it in the home, etc. 
    if he keeps taking the medication like he should and continues treatment he *should* be ok. It could change his personality due to the medication side effects. But if he doesn't do what he is supposed to and continues a destructive path I would be out of there so fast.
  • @amandarene112 yes the drug use it truly over. The meth was not something I ever saw coming but once he got clean he made it very clear that was something he never wanted anything to do with ever again. And he saw what he missed with the kids and the damage he has truly done to our family. His doctor is a psychologist who has a decade of experience working in major mental health hospitals. He has been very informative and supportive with all of this. I do plan on looking into other therapies as well though.
  • @jessieR358 that is confronting to hear about the injections with your cousin. His doctor and the hospital staff seem very confident with them and he had a hard time taking pills mainly because he was paranoid I was trying to make him sleep so I could do other things. When really I wanted him to get better and so I could sleep. 
    Obviously his drug use was the main reason I left. I grew up with addicts and I refuse to raise my children like that. He knows what he did was wrong and he's a good man and loves the kids and never wants to lose us again. He's clean. I've made him take drug tests. 
  • I have no advice to give but wanted to say that I'm so sorry you're walking through this. You're one tough Mama. At the end of the day it comes down to doing what's best for you and for your babies.  ((Big hugs))
  • Sorry you are going through this. 
  • I commend you for sticking by him and taking your vows seriously. I know how to tough it is from a medical standpoint (as a provider) dealing with those suffering with mental illnesses, but not on a personal level. I have seen the tolls it takes on their loved ones & want to tell you that by continuing to support and love him is doing the right thing. On the other hand, realizing you have to also come first and your kids is key (which it seems from your post you have already realized this). As others have said, getting a support person or group for yourself and your kids is key--be it your church family, a mental health counselor, a group of families that also deal with mental illnesses. Hang in there mama! Sending thoughts & prayers your way.
  • @jutondreau I actually did reach out to a couple organizations today.of course it is Saturday so I had to leave messages but it made me feel better knowing I made the calls. I also need to get my own vehicle. I spoke to a dealership last week. The phone calls are even overwhelming! And to top it off my step mom started drilling me after she dropped my daughter off from seeing a movie. I told her they can see the kids but I don't need the negativity so I have no desire to see her or my dad. 
  • So glad to hear you are getting help and your DH is responding to treatment. Continued prayers that all continues to improve.
  • @tfrangul I am thrilled to hear your husband is improving!! <3

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • So happy to hear he is improving. At the end of the day you have to do what is right for you and your family and take it one day at a time. Sending positive thoughts your way! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    XoXo, Dee
  • I'm so happy for you  :)
  • I am sorry you are going though this. My only experience with something close to this was a fellow I dated/moved into my home for roughly 2 years. They were the most intense 2 years of my life. The roller coaster constantly felt like I had to monitor everything (always on edge) or the world was going to crash. Sometimes the adrenaline and my super power of keeping it together felt good...but a lot of the time I was just freaked out and felt way to normal to be dealing with such extremes. I also had a lot of anger bottled up from all I was going through trying to keep things ok. And my trust had been damaged pretty intensely. 

I have to say when it ended and it ended badly (things got physical in a way I never knew I could or would experience...one of the scariest moments of my life...and that wasn't the end of us...the end of us was me pleading him to get help and him deciding he didn't like my nagging and wanted to be done) ...I was sad that I wasn't able to do better by him (and I felt like I had loved him...but maybe not in a romantic way the last chunk of time maybe more in a desperate and care taker sorta way) and scared about what I put up with (and my willingness to keep putting up with it...even when I tried to create better boundaries).

I also have to say I can't thank my family enough for standing by me even though they were watching my life go down the drain trying to help him...they had so much empathy for him but knew that I was being sacrificed in the process but they let me get to a place I could walk away on my own. I know how hard it can be to have others know the struggle your facing...especially his and your family...or friends. 

You and I are not the same person or even the same situation (I wasn't married and he didn't seek help) but I do have to say as much as I tried to keep the ship afloat, and him healthy and me moving forward in my life the whole time I was with him I was stunting my potential...my joy...my future...as well as creating a person that isn't me.

I applaud your drive to keep things together and all your doing to keep the vows and the love you have for your husband. 

My best advice for you is to seek counseling for yourself and potentially some couples counseling too. That should help give you someone to provide support and processing for you that you don't have to worry about their feelings about him or consequences from what you say. It should give you space to process what you need for yourself and your kiddo...and what you can do to support this person that you love. You may also want to look at attending some NAMI support groups. I even just joined some online fb groups so I could get support or see others in similar situations as I was in with my partner at the time (both in the good and bad ways..helped gave me some clarity)
    Me: 37 DH: 32 TTGP Since 2014 INFERTILITY INFO (Medicated, IUI's, IVF/FET) IN SPOILER
    October 2014-April 2015: Without Medication or Doctor Guidance No Periods/No O BFN 
    Medicated April-December 2015: Clomid (didn't work) and so we tried Femera/Letrozole. Progesterone Met 1000 Not diagnosed PCOS but treating the same. Anovulatory. TI No US No O BFN 

- TW - 
    IUI"S 
    January 2016-October 2016: Letrozole 2.5mg-7.5 mg, Pregyl or Ovideral Trigger Shot.
    9 cycles of IUI
    (7 Cancelled due to no mature follicles) (2 attempted IUI's with mature follicles)  

IUI # 2 June 2016 and July 2016:  Met 1000, Estrogen (21 days), Progesterone (5 days) Femera 5m 6/28/16 Ultrasound CD14 = 25 follie. Pregnyl Trigger CD14 IUI 7/13 1stBeta (DPO 15): 7.6 (Surprise BFP...but Low #'s) 2ndBeta (DPO 17): 18 3rdBeta (DPO 19) 52.8 Progesterone Prescribed (spotting) 4thBeta (DPO 26) 6.9 Chemical Pregnancy BFN

IVF and FET (diagnosed with PCOS) 204 pounds at start of IVF
    IVF # 1 October and November 2016: CCRM - Minneapolis 10/14 Consult and CD 3 testing, 10/14 started (OCP Antagonist - BCP) BCP, 10/21 1 day work up, Doxycycline 100mg 10 days, 10/24 stop bcp, Bloodwork US 10/29, 10/30-11/8 Stims 2 vials of Menopur, Dexamethasone, 225 of Gonal-F daily (dropped to 120). CCRM Vitamin Cocktail (like 20 of them), Monitoring (11/2, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6, 11/7, 11/8), Retrieval 11/10 (38 eggs, 30 mature, 16 fertilized ICSI), 11/16 8 Blasts 11/30 CCS testing results 3 Normal 5aa's (2 boys and 1 girl) 1 Unknown 4 Abnormal (All girls) 

Fet #1 January 2017: CCRM - Minneapolis bcp/lupron/suppository/p4 in oil QOD AF 12/7, 12/8 start meds. 1/3 lining and blood work check 14/15 mm, BW check 1/6. 1/9 transfer with acupuncture 1 CCS/PGS Normal 5aa hatching Progesterone around 26ish? Lower estrogen level 207 (wanted above 300 but over 200 was acceptable), started 1 estrace, progesterone in oil every other day, vivelle dot patches 4 every other day, 3x estrodiol daily, vitamin cocktail. POAS: - 4dp5dt and 5dp5dt, 6dp5dt frer very very very faint line. 7dp5dt and 8dp5dt + on Accuclear. 8dp5dt pregnant on a clear blue easy digital. 214 pounds at FET
    1/18 #1 Beta 91.1
    1/20 #2 Beta 215.9
    2/3 6 week US 2 sacs? Twins? but only 1 heartbeat/pole good heartbeat Stopped taking baby asprin Added in DHEA Veg Vitamin (also got the report that they transferred a girl 5aa eggo) 
    2/10 7 week US 2 sacs (likely vanishing twin) only 1 heartbeat/pole etc good heartbeat 137
    2/24 9 week US 1 eggo sac good heart beat 182 1 very small fluid sac (shrinking) 
    2/24 9 week 2 days start weening. Graduated from RE (CCRM is now starting weening as soon as 8.5 weeks)
    3/7 10 Weeks 5 days  weened completely of FET meds A1C 5.3% (Normal)
    3/9 11 Weeks 1 day my progesterone level was 15 and my estrogen level was 881 (I freaked out!)
    3/16 12 Weeks 1 day baby heard on doppler 164 HB
    4/14 16 week 2 days Ultrasound baby is looking good with all good numbers sized 17 weeks. Also got to hear her on the doppler for a few mins too. 

5/5 19 Weeks 2 days going in for "20" week anatomy ultrasound got measurements but need to come back as wasn't able to get all the measurements
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 4.6 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (78%) HC 17.0 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (70%) AC 14.5 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (69%) Femur 3.1 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (63%) Humerus 3.1 cm 20 weeks 2 days (84%) Cerebellum 2.0 cm 19 weeks 5 days
    CisternaMagna 6.2 mm Nuchal Fold 4.5 mm
    HC/AC 1.17 FL/AC 0.22 FL/BPD 0.68 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 309 grams - 0 lbs 11 oz
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 19 weeks 5 days +/- 10 days.

6/9 24 Weeks 2 days Glucose Test 1 hour (Failed) 190
    6/16 25 Weeks 2 days Ultrasound and 1st Baby Shower 
    6/20 25 Weeks 6 days Glucose Test 3 Hours (Failed) 95 (95), 183 (180), 213 (155), 198 (140) etc
    6/21 26 Weeks Recommended to a perintologist
    6/22 26 Weeks 1 day start monitoring blood sugar levels 
    6/30 27 Weeks 2 day A1 (blood sugar test ordered)

7/5 28 Weeks Echo and 3d Ultrasound
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 2.6 Q2: 3.2 Q3: 4.8 Q4: 5.6 AFI Total = 16.3 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal 
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 7.2 cm 28 weeks 5 days* (60%) HC 26.4 cm 28 weeks 4 days* (48%) AC 23.3 cm 27 weeks 4 days* (36%) Femur 5.2 cm 28 weeks 0 days* (36%) Humerus 4.8 cm 28 weeks 0 days (49%)
    HC/AC 1.13 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.73 Ceph Index 0.77 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1142 grams - 2 lbs 8 oz (37%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 28 weeks 1 day +/- 14 days.

7/10 28 Weeks 5 days Dietitian Appt and Lactatcian Consultant and A1 blood draw 5.4% (normal) 218.5 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks GD consult. 6 Lantus at 7pm daily. Novolog 1 unit for every 15 gm carbohydrate if consumed more than 30 gm at brkfst or 60 gm at lunch or supper 215.6 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks Transferred care to OB due to high risk. 216 pounds

8/2 32 Weeks Ultrasound (not cooperative and still breech) and then weekly NST's
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.0 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (44%) HC 29.2 cm 31 weeks 6 days* (22%) AC 26.9 cm 31 weeks 0 days* (24%)  Femur 6.3 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (57%) Humerus 5.7 cm 32 weeks 6 days (71%)
    HC/AC 1.08 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.78 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1808 grams - 3 lbs 15 oz (29%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 31 weeks 6 days +/- 18 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.4 Q2: 2.9 Q3: 2.9 Q4: 4.4 AFI Total = 13.6 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/8 32w6d upped to 1:10 for dinner 
    8/11 Baby Shower
    8/13 Baby Shower
    8/16 34 weeks NST good reading Upped to 8 at bed for fasting and 1:7 for dinner 
    8/18 Dr Appt

8/24 35 weeks 1 day (was suppose to be scheduled for 36 weeks) Weeks Ultrasound/GD Dr Appt/OB Appt 
    Frank Breech
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.9 cm 35 weeks 6 days* (67%) HC 31.7 cm 35 weeks 1 day * (35%) AC 30.2 cm 34 weeks 2 days* (33%) Femur 6.9 cm 34 weeks 6 days* (57%) Humerus 6.0 cm 34 weeks 6 days (64%)
    HC/AC 1.05 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.80 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 2494 grams - 5 lbs 8 oz (39%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 35 weeks 1 day +/- 21 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.3 Q2: 3.8 Q3: 2.4 Q4: 3.8 AFI Total = 13.4 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/31 36 Weeks
    9/7 37 Weeks
    9/10 Water broke...I got it tested at the emergency room it it showed it was negative. More water breaking and didn't go to the dr.
    9/11 37 weeks 4 days Called the Dr and got retested for water breaking...
    10:30pmish Baby Girl Born via Emergency C Section (Frank Breech Baby) 6lbs 3oz  -
    9/13 Dropped to 5 pounds 10oz and had jaundice 
    9/13 38 weeks

9/22 39 Weeks 2 days C Section Scheduled for 10am (arrive at 8am) Equinox/Solstice
    EDD 9/27
  • @BecauseLove I appreciate your story. Sounds like you were putting a lot into that relationship and it's too bad he never got help. I am in therapy and we are scheduled for couples therapy already. I posted some updates and I have been reaching out to different places.