September 2017 Moms

Headaches

i think I've had a headache every day since I found out I was pregnant. I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow. I'm so sick of them :( anyone else experiencing this? What can I dooooooo???

Re: Headaches

• Somewhere someone on here said that their doctor reccomended upping their protein intake and that helped their headaches go away!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yea I've been trying to drink more water to see if it helps..I'll try the protein! That could very well be the issue
  • Yes, I second the excedrin tension headaches. I've had bad headaches daily and this is the only thing that gets rid of them for the day. Heat does NOT help mine, but cool compresses to my forehead and laying in the dark sometimes does.
    DD 6/2007
    DS 4/2009
    m/c 11/12/2010 ~ 7 wks
    m/c 7/4/2012 ~ 6 wks
    DD 12/2013
    mmc Baby Girl 7/12/2015 ~ 14 weeks  <3
    Twin girls! 8/26/2017

• The water usually doesn't help the headache go away by itself or prevent them from happening, but I get auras more if I need to drink more water :\ I had never heard of the protein thing before but it makes sense! I only had a problem with eating when I was so nauseous all the time. Thank goodness that's subsiding.
  • Wow, that sucks... I normally have headaches all the time, but oddly enough when I'm pregnant they are better. My suggestions: ice on the back of your head, put your hands and feet in hot water (this draws the extra blood that's often causing the headache away from your head), I've also heard magnesium tablets help a lot of pregnant women, and I agree with the tension headache. 

Good luck... I hope something helps! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • While I don't have them everyday, I get the headache problem. I'm sorry you have them so frequently! I've had some extremely bad headaches, especially lately. Even a migraine the other day. Everyone's excedrin ideas are good ones, the caffeine helps a lot. I am actually very allergic to acetaminophen so I'm kinda screwed there. I had a doctor's appt the other day and talked to her about this issue and she gave me an alternative. I'm saying this NOT to tell anyone to do it without discussing it with your doctor first, but if it's a big problem and nothing else is working, maybe worth asking about. My doc told me it was ok to take ibuprofen after 13 weeks and before 32. None before and none after. Same with my last pregnancy.. though I only ended up taking 1 advil after a 3 day long headache during the whole pregnancy. Apparently there's an increased risk of miscarriage before 13 weeks, so I'm still probably not going to take it for awhile, and I'm certainly not going to take more than 200 MG if I need to. Again, not trying to give anyone medical advice.. but maybe talk to your doctor if it's a bigger issue.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Omg I was there too.

A headache every day until about 14 weeks.

Ice packs help me a lot! I also tend to take Tylenol quite a bit and have started drinking coffee again. I'm 16 weeks now and the headaches are less frequent but they are still a pain. 
  • Every day here too! I. Never thought about the protein I know I don't eat enough! My prenatals were giving me terrible headaches. Same thing happened with my daughter. I still get them it's just not as bad since I switched to a multivitamin 
  • yasandsonyasandson member
    edited March 2017
    Used to get them occasionnally but its worse ever since i got sick i even wake up with them. Def trying the excedrin tension headaches. Had never heard of it. Thanks for the info ladies! 
  • The sheet my doctor gave my says not to take the Excedrin Tension headache in the third trimester, just so you guys know that! 
  • I have had migraines for years, the only and I mean only thing that ever got rid of them once they got to a certain point was a BC powder (taste like death but works!) obviously that's out now, I woke  up with a headache this morning and just had a cup of coffee and some Tylenol and it's better, not gone but better. Excedrine has never gotten rid of any headache for me :(
  • Besides ice, caffine, and Tylenol, eating a full meal helps me. Sometimes my pregnancy headaches are related to hanger and go away after eating. 
  • Besides ice, caffine, and Tylenol, eating a full meal helps me. Sometimes my pregnancy headaches are related to hanger and go away after eating. 
    I actually just had lunch and it seems to feel a lot better. Glad I'm not alone. It sucks! I don't remember getting them this frequently with DD.
  • I get headaches often and I usually just suffer through - ice packs, try to sleep, water intake. My friend who is also pregnant swears by peppermint oil topically on her forehead/temples- I haven't tried it myself but I'm willing to. 
  • @DanaG I've done peppermint oil it doesn't get rid of but has helped mine!
  • Yeah my migraines are awful with this pregnancy. And it lasts for days. Usually it only happens if I spend to much time in my phone or watching to much tv. 
  • I get them a lot too. Everyone's advice here is good - Tylenol, ice packs, caffeine, water, etc. I wanted to elaborate on the food and protein part...I have struggled with migraines for most of my life, and one trigger is going too long without eating. It can make your blood sugar to drop too low. If you can eat so that your blood sugar doesn't spike and drop, it will likely help with your headaches. It's really hard to do in the first trimester when you are just trying your best not to throw up, but as MS eases up, try eating small meals that have some protein in them every 3-ish hours and see if that helps.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Headaches for me too!

Just to add on the the peppermint oil bit, I would make sure to dilute it in something (I use a dab of coconut oil from the kitchen). Then I rub it at my temples, above my forehead, behind my ears, and at the nape of my neck.
  • Oh yes, I've read to dilute it. I'd use coconut oil too! 
  • carawasa said:
    i think I've had a headache every day since I found out I was pregnant. I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow. I'm so sick of them :( anyone else experiencing this? What can I dooooooo???
    This time around my headache comes and goes but last pregnancy my headaches were killing me so my midwives referred me to a physiotherapist who was trained to do acupuncture, well I went to her and had half an hour session with her 2-3 times a week and that settled my headache as well as morning sickness! Therefore I highly recommend acupuncture! 
  • I don't get my headaches when I am pregnant. I agree with the excedrin idea and cold compresses. Also Vicks vapor rub on my temples help me too. Peppermint tea as well. Sometimes if there is no strong cooking or other odors outside fresh air helps too but I can't be too hot or too cold outside. Good luck I normally have a headache for several days and all that I mention only relieves just enough of the pressure so I can function as a human being. 
  • Talk to your doctor. I suffer from migraines normally and my GP told me to stop my triptan and other meds when I was pregnant. A minor ER visit and call to OB helped find prescription meds (including a different triptan) that are safer. I also have an essential oil from Rocky Mountain called migraine support that helps take the edge off. Perhaps it's a migraine and not a simple headache, you don't have to suffer! 
  • Neck rubs also seem to help me. Right at the base of my skull. It seems to relieve a lot of pressure. Also I got a tempurpedic pillow to sleep on and I don't seem to wake up with as many headaches. 

Hopefully they go away for you soon! 
  • Somewhere someone on here said that their doctor reccomended upping their protein intake and that helped their headaches go away!
    totally the case with me. ever since i crossed over into the 2nd trimester, i've had daily headaches unless i have MORE THAN ENOUGH protein. like seriously...tons. if i feel one coming on, but i'm not in a good spot to eat (like at work), i'll eat some beef jerky and i feel better in a few minutes. 
    hope they go away for your soon!!!  <3
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    This happened with my first!!!! It's the worst. It eventually went away. I'm sorry. :(
  • Mamaz! I found THE cure! As soon as we make love, its gone!!!! (for a few hours only lol) 
  • mrsmarygsmrsmarygs member
    edited March 2017
    SayaSana said:
    Mamaz! I found THE cure! As soon as we make love, its gone!!!! (for a few hours only lol) 
    Ded. My DH swears by this cure. It's actually fairly scientific: the endorphins secreted by the brain act as pain blockers. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Then solution found! Make love, repeat :wink: lol