August 2017 Moms

Diapers- disposable, cloth or mix?

2»

Re: Diapers- disposable, cloth or mix?

• @erindippity yes, we have used both disposable and cloth swimming diapers. Swim diapers are made to only hold in poop. Some pools require a disposable instead of cloth (which is stupid since they do the same things).  The only thin I don't love about the cloth swim diapers is that DD's all had a ruffle on the butt which makes it look funny under a swimsuit. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• budzynb said:
    I'm quite envious of all you women who plan to CD! I am also a laundry freak and just love the feeling of pulling warm clothes out of the dryer and not having dirty laundry around in general. With that being said, the daycare we are totally set on will CD with us, but tuition includes disposable diapers, wipes, and food. With that being said, I am going to get what I'm paying for and let them do disposables. I really want to CD to save money but when the diaper bill is cut in half thanks to them, it is a pretty even split when I DD or CD. I'm anti-pregnancy right now and never plan to do this again, so I have a hard time thinking it will save me money on all the future kids. lol. Anybody else in this same situation and what did you choose??? I'm afraid it would be hard to do both. I'll have to send him in a CD to daycare and then at pick-up make sure I get my 1 single diaper back. And do I really want to only do half loads of laundry or wait 6 days between loads? Sounds gross to me...
    I did what you are going to have to do so I'll tell you my routine and maybe it will help you decide. 
    You really can't go more then 3 days with dirty diapers. I pushed 4 though. 
    I brought her in cloth. They changed her and put it in a wet bag. When I went home I went back to cloth immediately. I couldn't stand the smell of disposable and she always blew out in them. 
    She also slept in cloth with extra stuffing. So by the end of each day I probably have 4 dirty diapers and a dirty wet bag. So by 3 days I had 12 dirty diapers and 3 wet bags and the pail liner. A big enough load.
    If I every felt burnt out, I'd take a break and use disposable again. Not for long though, despised the smell and feel. 
    We planned on another kid so I built my stash up, but you only need 16 probably if you PT cloth. 
    I bought half the amount of disposable that most used. I also threw away less clothing from blow outs. Ruined so many clothes when she was in disposables. So I was happy with the $
     This baby is going to be free and you don't plan on any more you can sell them. A lot of brands hold their value or you can at least get rid of them as a lot for some $. 

Good luck on your decision.
  • Loading the player...
  • Suggestions on good overnight diapers and how much stuffing you need?
  • LivLew said:
    Suggestions on good overnight diapers and how much stuffing you need?
    Sustainablebabyish OBFs are AMAZING!  You'll need a cover for them (fleece, wool, etc) but they come with all the inserts you'd need.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Back when I was a regular babysitter for a family, I got some experience with cloth diapers and I was not a happy camper. They did not absorb well at all, and the smell... seemed worse than a regular diaper.

Definitely made me prefer disposable, since they are made to deal with those odors a bit better. Perhaps cloth diapers are better now?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    @Feliciosity how long ago are you talking? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm cool with buying used cloth diapers but where on earth do I find them? Coming up empty on Craigslist anywhere in CT and fb sale groups in my half of the state. Surely there's a wider resale group that would ship them to me?
  • lyse01 said:
    I'm cool with buying used cloth diapers but where on earth do I find them? Coming up empty on Craigslist anywhere in CT and fb sale groups in my half of the state. Surely there's a wider resale group that would ship them to me?
    You may be able to find some here: 

https://www.kellyscloset.com/Gently-Used_c_580.html

I have also seen some name brand cloth diapers at baby resale shops in our area. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @lyse01 there are lots of FB B/S/T groups out there for used cloth diapers. Here are some:

Bumgenius B/S/T

Grovia B/S/T

Blueberry Swaddlebees B/S/T

General Cloth Diaper B/S/T

Sustainablebabyish B/S/T

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Back when I was a regular babysitter for a family, I got some experience with cloth diapers and I was not a happy camper. They did not absorb well at all, and the smell... seemed worse than a regular diaper.

Definitely made me prefer disposable, since they are made to deal with those odors a bit better. Perhaps cloth diapers are better now?
    I find both of these statements VERY untrue (at least for us). Any time we had to use disposables, I dreaded it. DD would leak or have blowouts in disposables and never in cloth. I also cannot stand the "scent" added to disposables. I actually found that poop in a disposable has a stronger odor than in cloth while still on the child. Washing cloth every couple/few days should keep most odors away.  Cloth should not have a smell after being washed. If they do, the wash routine needs changed.

Just judging by my own age, I'm guessing you babysat quite a few years ago. I'm sure the cloth diapering scene has changed a lot since then. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump @BlackNYellow thanks! I also found the fluff love b/s/t group (but am having trouble with the link on mobile).
  • lyse01 said:
    @bumpybump @BlackNYellow thanks! I also found the fluff love b/s/t group (but am having trouble with the link on mobile).
    Fluff Love is an amazing cloth diapering resource. Especially for wash routines!

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• We didn't start cloth till my son was 11 months. We will start at birth with this boy

Married: 8/4/12
    Me: 25 DH: 26
    TTC #1: August 2014
    BFP: 10/3/2014   EDD: 6/17/15
    Born: 6/20/16

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Nxy One family was 10 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed since then. But a more recent family was 2 years ago. They seemed better in regards to holding it all in, but the odor still a big issue. Though from all of the thorough and positive testimonies I've read so far on this thread, and what @bumpybump said, maybe it was just how they did their laundry? Yikes.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree with @Feliciosity and @Bumpbump. It could have been their was routine. Also, Microfiber can stink over time (like years) but stripping (or a good RLR or Mighty Bubbles wash) can help get them fresh again!
  • It was probably bad laundry. I only had the 'stink' after the first month of washing incorrectly. Changed it up and never again. Disposable smelled worse for me. 

• lewlivlewliv member
    Resurrecting this thread!
    I'm looking into hybrids. Has anyone tried Grovia or Softbums? How was your experience?