February 2017 Moms

Re: Monday B*fest

• edited March 2017
    Never mind. I changed my mind. 
  • "It'll have to be sometime in June. July won't work because we're throwing our party and in August we're going to the shore."
    -my mom, on the prospect of coming out to meet her grandchild. 
    For what it's worth, I haven't seen her in 7 years and both of those events are a single weekend each. Glad to see where priorities are though!
    On the bright side my roomie from college is coming out for a week and a half, and I love her to pieces, so I'm thrilled on that front!
  • Loading the player...
  • My son is 10 and in 4th grade, and he always comes home talking about one of his teachers, and all the things she talks to the class about. He came home telling me, about a book his teacher read, then told the class about. It's about a 15 year old girl who got pregnant and had a baby. Then her older brother decided to take the baby and go to a warehouse to sell it. The deal went bad and the brother and the buyer got into a gun fight, and we're shooting at each other. This does not sound like an appropriate book that I would want my son to read, and I really don't appreciate his teacher discussing this type of material in class. I asked my son if he knew what the book was called so I could look it up and find the recommended reading age, but he doesn't know it, and I tried googling, but with no luck. They also watched a PG13 movie in class that my son said had a lot of cussing and bar fights... I thought the parents had to sign permission slips for movies rated over PG? Either way, he comes home way too often talking about things, that I don't approve of.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 Yikes!! That does not sound like something 4th graders should be reading.
    That sounds more like a movie than a book that should be read in school at any age. Can you contact anyone at the school at all with your concerns?
  • @kswiger06 wtf?! Contact the school tomorrow!
  • I went to Catholic school, so they were probably more strict, but I had to have my mom sign a permission slip for PG13 when I was a junior!  I would say something!! 
  • The book: They didn't read it in class, the teacher read it on her own, but then told the class about it. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm over dramatic or too sheltering, but since you ladies agree this stuff isn't appropriate, I'll be calling the school. I don't want to be that mom, but I'm glad it's not just me, I won't feel bad calling in about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06, yes,  call!   That's inappropriate! 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • krobkrob member
    @kswiger06 i totally understand your frustration with the teacher/school and i don't think you are overreacting. You should def speak to someone as it sounds like a rogue teacher. 

However I would also encourage you to use this as a teaching moment in general, and I am sure you did. But at 10 years old he is about to be exposed to all kinds of things via his peers and the world that are not going to match with your home values. Might as well start now in talking about this things so he knows what your guys think are good morals/values. Around 4th/5th grade I definitely started being more influenced by my classmates. 

Hope everything works out ok. But again I definitely think it's worth talking to teacher/school about it. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • MommaBeanMommaBean member
    edited March 2017
    @kswiger06 $0.02 from a liberal, east coast reading teacher: this is not being sheltering; contact the school. I talk up books like that all the time to HIGH SCHOOLERS and don't think I'd go any younger than 8th grade with it, from your description. I'm all about high-interest books to hook reluctant readers, but that sounds highly inappropriate. And re: the movie: the county, I assume, has policies about that and I'm confident showing a PG13 movie isn't allowed in 4th grade. It would have to have some phenomenal curricular value and it doesn't sound like that's the case. Ask for the teacher's justification, express your concerns, and stick to your guns!
  • @MommaBean since you are a teacher, is this something I call the teacher about? Or do I call the principal? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 I would start with the teacher, express your concern, and see what she has to say. Maybe her version of things is wildly different from your son's, for ex. If you're not satisfied (like, she really did think it was ok to talk about that book, show the inappropriate movie, etc.), then get the principal involved. 
  • Low key really want to know what this book is because it sounds interesting af. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • krobkrob member
    @kswiger06 whatever happened with the teacher? Did you speak with her or principal? 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • @krob, I talked to the teacher, she said the book came up because it was during their drug awareness week at school. I guess she was just talking about it to show what kind of life the characters had because of drugs. She did admit that the book was not at their appropriate age level and that she probably shouldn't have gone in so much detail. I didn't end up bringing up the movie because when I called I got transfered to her line and she answered but it was during the school day so she had the kids and I didn't want to keep her... 

She said the book had a couple books in it. Like more than one story, and that one was called "intervention" I googled that and it didn't sound like the book my son talked about so it must have been a different one in the book. She thought I wanted to read it, so told me it was at our public library lol the author is Terri Blackstock.
    Pregnancy Ticker