May 2017 Moms

Amniotic fluid? How to tell??

Anyone have any experience with leaking fluid? Is it very obvious? Or accompanied by any discomfort? I'm not having contractions but I feel like I'm being punched in the cervix and have so much pressure. I have an appt Tuesday but I think I'm going to call in the morning. I'm not having like fluid running down my leg or anything like that. It just feels like tiny gushes a few times today... almost like when I pee and sneeze or cough. That's the best way to describe. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Amniotic fluid? How to tell??

• I mean when I sneeze or cough it's definitely pee. My water had to be broken by the doctor with DD so I have no experience, but I've heard people feel a pop. It won't hurt to call and check! If you fill a pad in one hour I would go to L&D. They can swab for the fluid.
  • @bacorrea i had my water break after induction with ds1 and had it broken with ds2 so I don't know. But I'm thinking maybe it's just a weird sensation. TMI there is lots of cervixal mucus so maybe that's all I'm noticing. It's just different today than before. Definitely not enough to fill a pad or even soak underwear. That's why I'm comfortable enough to just call the OB tomorrow. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Supposedly it smells sweet. So maybe put on a pad or liner, wait until it's wet and then smell it? I know...gross. 
  • No idea. But a little pee while coughing or sneezing is so common especially when you've had a baby in the past.  The positioning of LO could be making it worse.  I would be more concerned about leaking when not doing anything. At the very least, a call would not hurt!

• Thank you ladies. Just worries me because he's so damn low in there and I'm so huge and so is he. And since my last was early(3 weeks from this point) I worry this baby will come earlier. Praying it's nothing. I haven't had anything happen in the last few hours. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was concerned I was leaking fluid as well. What I read online was to put on a pad and lay down for a half hour. When you stand up, what happens? It says of its amniotic fluid, you should feel it and have enough in the pad to notice it. If in doubt though my doctor told me to go in and ask for amniosure. I believe that's the name of it at least. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • If it's only happening when you cough or sneeze I would assume it is pee. If it's leaking all the time I would be a little more concerned. However, when in doubt it's always good to call.  
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• mamatowildones, *TMI* I have a lot of discharge, so I feel a small gush of wet a few times a day. I just go to the restroom and clean it up. I know mine is discharge and not pee, and I've asked the doctor about it. It's pretty annoying. I'd probably ask the doctor anyways if it's a new symptom for you. *TMI*
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• I have been having A LOT of pelvic pressure the last couple of days (almost pre-labor-like) and an increase in discharge too. I have had similar feelings worrying that baby might come earlier than expected but then I get relief and feel better about it. FX it's nothing!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• @BeachMommy2B that's just how I can best describe the sensation. But it's happening just randomly. Not associated with cough or sneeze. @vrj0522 ya it's scary! The pressure and swelling down there subsides in the morning and it worst by end of day. OB said that's normal. Waking up with it and having it be a constant could be something else though. I'll call today when they open and see if they can take me today. Supposed to have a scan and OB visit tomorrow. She's so booked up though I doubt I'll get in today. Haven't noticed anything yet this morning. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • When I was pregnant with DD, my OB told me that amniotic fluid smells like semen. I know, gross. But that's how I knew my water had broken. I thought it was just a lot of discharge so I put on a pad, but after about 15 mins and a wet pad that smelled like semen, I knew my water had broken.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • If you are concerned, call your doctor.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • I second (or third or fourth ) calling Dr since I think they recommend getting checked if you're concerned. But with my first the initial reason I went in to l&d was because I felt a gush when I went pee and was worried I had a small leak and when I went in I was checked and told it was a severe yeast infection. This happened to be during actual labor so it wasn't a wasted visit but still good to go in if unsure. 
  • kat81kat81 member
    kns1988 said:
    mamatowildones, *TMI* I have a lot of discharge, so I feel a small gush of wet a few times a day. I just go to the restroom and clean it up. I know mine is discharge and not pee, and I've asked the doctor about it. It's pretty annoying. I'd probably ask the doctor anyways if it's a new symptom for you. *TMI*
    This is me as well. I have been having a ton of discharge all pregnancy and it just gushes out sometimes in large quantities.

• *lurking from june*

You could have very well just pissed yourself due to having a bladder infection/uti. Just sayin'.
  • kat81kat81 member
    erinh84 said:
    *lurking from june*

You could have very well just pissed yourself due to having a bladder infection/uti. Just sayin'.
    True, though usually there is pain associated with that kind of thing.

I'm still wondering whether I've had a bacterial vaginal infection this whole pregnancy or whether I really just have a ton of discharge all of the time (I know it's not a yeast infection because those feel different / hurt). I'm assuming the latter but it is SO much! In spite of all of my many aches and pains, I think what I'm starting to look forward to the most about being done with this pregnancy is being done with the discharge (yes, I understand that I'll be bleeding lochia for 2 months instead but at least there will be a total end in sight to the whole thing.)

• I was really "leaky" when I was prengnat with DD and with this baby too (during the day as well as when coughing/sneezing).  When my water broke with DD it felt VERY different.  It was almost like a balloon popping.  Also, it didn't stop and it felt like there was nothing you could do to control it.  When I would stand up, it would gush and when I would sit down it would calm down a bit.  That was my experience!

BFP #1 12/23/12 EDD 9/3/13 DD #1 8/26/13

BFP #2  2/25/16  EDD 11/5/16 MMC 4/15/16

BFP #3  8/31/16  EDD  5/12/17 It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest

Anniversary
  • I am also a FTM, & all of the advice is very helpful! Thanks for posting this thread and all of your responses, I will keep these in mind as the time gets closer!

23 y/o;
    First time mommy <3 [05/06/17]

90% of the way there :D

Pregnancy Ticker