Infertility

Follicle size

Hi there! I have a question about follicle size. Does anyone know if follicles can be too big? I'm CD 11 today (took clomid day 4-7) and went in for an ultrasound to check follicles this morning. They said I have two follicles one 24mm and one at 33mm. They want me to trigger tonight and do IUI on Tuesday. But I've read a lot about doctors not even doing the IUI when they are that big or that they are most likely cysts. I'm not sure if I want to go through with it this month if there is a possibility that the follicles are no good. Does anyone out there have any input?

Re: Follicle size

• 24 seems fine. 33 does seem large?
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • My lead follicle at egg retrieval during IVF was 33 the last time they measured it and they were fine with it 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• Loading the player...
  • @Sonebone - that happened to me last cycle! The doctor said my largest follicle, which was 33.95mm (so 34), was likely to be "too big" and that we wouldn't get a viable egg out of it. I had 4 altogether - another was 32mm, and another 26mm, then one at 19mm. I read later that the 34mm one was likely to be a cyst.

Because I had 4, if the doctor had actually thought the 32mm and the 34mm were viable, there's no way he'd risk the IUI - the multiple risk is too high. I think it's different with IVF, when (hopefully!) a) you have lots of other follicles and b) the goal is to retrieve as many eggs as possible.

I was choked - I wished I'd gone in earlier to check. They triggered me right away with the hopes of (at the very least) rupturing all follicles - including the ones that might have become cysts. We did the IUI the next day; I was so hoping that one of our two smaller follies would be the one!

I ended up with a BFN and now I'm benched with 2 cysts - but it doesn't look like they are the same as the follies we saw in the last ultrasound. There might have been some little ones that didn't show on my earlier ultrasound, ones that weren't resolved with the trigger shot.

Anyway, best of luck to you and with your decision, and FX your little guy works!
  • @funkykey thank you for your input.  I was really scared to trigger with a follicle that big because I kept reading online that it could be a cyst and it could rupture. I went ahead and did it anyway, but I'm still a little confused so I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they say. 

Im sorry about your BFN. I had an IUI last month with 4 follicles and also a BFN. Did they tell you why you delevoped cysts? Are you on clomid?
  • Ah, I see - not sure why you are afraid of the rupturing? I mean, if they're really big, it'd be painful - but with small cysts, I guess I see them rupturing as kind of the same as ovulation, just no egg. I want mine to rupture so I can get off this bench! Or to resolve however they might, and to not need to have them drained...

I am on clomid, so that's probably why I developed cysts. I take it it's a really common side effect - and I think why women with PCOS aren't put on it.
  • @funkykey yeah I guess I was under the impression that rupturing cysts could be dangerous for your ovaries. I don't know where I got that idea, I probably just google too much and have freaked myself out. I just got back from my IUI and I asked the assistant doing the IUI about the 33 size follicle and she said that was totally normal. So now I don't know what to believe.
  • @sonebone can you ask your RE for reassurance?
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • @rainbowwishes5 I asked the assistant about it and she made me feel like I was being crazy. I literally haven't even seen the actual doctor since my consultation over 3 months ago. We've decided we're not going back to this clinic after this IUI. I've had a bad feeling about them from the beginning (they've done a lot of other questionable things) so I decided I need to follow my gut and we'll be looking for a new doctor next cycle. 
  • @Sonebone - I asked the assistant about it and she made me feel like I was being crazy.

Everyone at my clinic has been great, except one nurse. She triggered me and then she did our IUI, and when I saw it was her doing the IUI, I was like: "Nnnooo!" I asked some questions and she was so dismissive... (She's just phoning it in, you know? Passing people off because she's too lazy to actually do research or think.) 

Anyway, I'm not saying you shouldn't shop around and find a good clinic - I definitely think you should! Just commiserating about how terrible it is when you get a nasty nurse/assistant. It blows.