March 2017 Moms

Postpartum Symptoms, Issues & Other Fun

Re: Postpartum Symptoms, Issues & Other Fun

• @disneybaby84 not a boy mom, but I usually toss a towel over baby for a few seconds before changing. I think its usually just exposing naked baby to the air which makes them pee. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kjd291 Do you change her with the towel still over her or until "the coast is clear?" Currently dealing with a sweet daughter who pees like an excited puppy at every other diaper change.
  • @dubcompanion the nurses @ the hospital suggested putting baby on tummy for a few moments prior to diaper changing to get the pee out  ;)  Our little girl was making quite the mess at the hospital and this helped tremendously.  We pay the price if we forget this step  :D
  • @Goodmorning12 Interesting tip, thanks!! :) Do you undo the back part of the diaper when she's on her belly, to encourage her to "go" in the front part? Or is it just the act of lying on her belly that gets her to pee?
  • The act of being on her belly is what they said.  We do it with diaper firmly intact on the changing table  :)  Now if only it helped with poop explosions mid-diaper change...has not helped with that problem and our LO  :D
  • @dubcompanion hha. That's too funny.
    I mostly just make sure that I have the new diaper ready to go on as soon as the old one is off.
  • When my son was a newborn, I used to toss a spit cloth over him during changes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO loves to poop again as soon as I put a clean diaper on. Just waiting for the mid change poop!!
  • Baby boy has managed to spray an arc of pee several times after I wiped his bottom and while I'm prepping the vaseline for his new diaper. My favorite mid poop was while we were in the hospital and he let out another tube (like squeezing out the toothpaste) AS I was wiping his bottom. That was hilarious. Mid poop explosion will probably be not so much. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think the whitching hour phase has officially commenced 
  • @kjd291 yes! except this little one has been fussy all day. hopefully she'll wear herself out and sleep tonight
  • I think the worst postpartum symptom is from the moisture of wearing pads. I had no tearing so everything was fine down there but now I'm getting tender and sore everywhere down below from the chafing of the pad and moisture.. no amount of baby powder is helping. 

Also is it just me but if I use the bathroom and clean myself up, if SO comes in afterwards he always says it smells. I really don't think I have an infection but does anyone else notice a strange smell from the Lochia? Doesn't smell like infection but still not exactly super pleasant either. 
  • I think my hormonal crash is finally happening... I thought I might escape without it somehow lol .. hello pimples and random sobbing.
  • I think lochia smells like a period, so not pleasant but not foul either. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think lochia smells like a period, so not pleasant but not foul either. 
    See I can't remember what a period smells like, I use tampons with my period also and I'm not sure if the pads enhance some type of scent.. I did mention it to my midwife so I will keep an eye out for infection signs. 
  • Is it a normal hormonal thing to give birth and immediately want to get pregnant again?  I am NOT one of those women who loved being pregnant, and I really don't think we genuinely have an interest in having a third (and obviously if I did it would not be for some time!). But since giving birth I think about it All. The. Time. 
  • @Burrberrymum Honestly it's kind of an insensitive thing for your H to say. As if you weren't self conscious enough about the massive amounts of ick coming out of you. I think if it was infection the smell would be really foul, unmistakably bad. Not just the obnoxiously sweet old blood smell I associate with menstrual fluid. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Burrberrymum I think everything smells gross right now, including my pads when I change them and everything else about me too (thanks, night sweats!). i wouldn't react well to anyone else pointing that out to me, though....
  • @Burrberrymum there is definitely a smell to it that smells slightly different than a period I'd say - but if there was an infection it's a smell you would know. I've smelled that before from working in the ER and seeing some postpartum women. It is VERY obvious. Agree with pp though - I wouldn't handle my dh saying anything. Your body is a rockstar for just going through a marathon and giving birth! 

@anonellis after DS1 I never wanted kids again, this time all I can think about is getting pregnant again. Even though we're breastfeeding and I know there's no way I'm fertile yet we are full steam ahead trying for number 3. Wtf is wrong with me?!? Do I hate sleep?!?
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• @kjd291 thinking of you mama. You got this. You are a strong woman and you are more than capable of taking care of your babies. Let us know if we can help with anything :heart:
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kjd291 i'm so sorry you're still going through this. i've been thinking about you. i really hope the issue resolves itself asap
  • Lexxilou1986Lexxilou1986 member
    edited March 2017
    @kjd291 If you are still dizzy, I would go see your PCP. It could be vertigo or vestibular neuritis. They have some meds (not sure if they are BF safe) they might be able to prescribe, PT also can work wonders! I had vestibular neuritis once and ended up needing steroids to get better. Hope you feel better soon!!

Edited to add: Urgent care can help diagnose and can see you asap if your PCP is giving you the run around.
  • disneybaby84disneybaby84 member
    edited March 2017
    @kjd291 staying hydrated? 

• @disneybaby84 yep!

thanks @Gators&BoSox - @pandalily
    just having a place to share helps! Trying to stay positive and hopeful because if I loose that there's no point! Right!? 

@Lexxilou1986 thanks!! That is part of the problem. Since I've been preggo twice in the past 2years (and moved) I've only had OBs and Midwives locally! Never got around to setting up a PCP for me - just pedis for the girls-cuz mom always comes last, right ;). SO - currently hurry up and wait to get care established with a local doc.

A woman at church reached out, after I asked for prayer, she is a nurse under an ENT (ear nose throat doc) so she may be able to help get me in there too. Since that's the doc I'd probably get referred to after seeing a PCP. 
  • @kjd291 saying a prayer for you! I hope that nurse can get you into the ENT. Maybe a chiropractor could also help out? I was having bouts of vertigo when I was pregnant and it was much better after an adjustment.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @kjd291 saying a prayer for you! I hope that nurse can get you into the ENT. Maybe a chiropractor could also help out? I was having bouts of vertigo when I was pregnant and it was much better after an adjustment.
    Yes! This is the other person on my list to call on Monday! Can't hurt to try!
  • @kjd291 I hope you find answers soon! ❤
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Burrberrymum Answering to this late but last time PP I started to notice a fishy smell and I was diagnosed with bacterium vaginosis. They did a culture at my six week visit. Just saying it to be aware. I had to go on antibiotics which weren't so fun, but it cleared up. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• For those of you who had stitches, how long was it before you felt properly mobile again? I had 2 tears and a cut, and it's SO sore still (6 days PP today) I literally haven't left the apt all week. Just been laying around. Also noticing I'm winded so easily. Trying to figure out if I should be continuing to rest so the stitches heal, or if it's one of those things that moving around helps promote healing more?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Spartanrd4Spartanrd4 member
    edited March 2017
    @npaulie I had stitches from a 2nd degree tear and I would say after the first week I was feeling less sore. I'll be 3 weeks pp on Wednesday and am pretty mobile now. Did they give you anything for the pain from the hospital? I felt the dermoplast helped a lot and the tucks...the nurse said you don't need to use cold packs if the swelling is gone. 
  • anonellisanonellis member
    edited March 2017
    @npaulie I have internal stitches and had a 2 week postpartum checkup where they noticed I had popped one of my stitches, which was why it still hurt. Being too active can do that, so my advice would be to lay low for now.  I'm more than 4 weeks out and still have some pain if I overexert myself during the day (if I do too much walking and standing).

edited to add: just saw that you haven't left the house -- could someone take you for a drive somewhere?  Even just to like, a drive thru for food or to Starbucks?  I know my advice was to lay low but getting out, even just a tiny bit for fresh air, really feels amazing. 
  • @spartanrd4 when I left the hospital they told me to alternate between Tylenol and ibuprofen. They didn't give me anything. But I've been using the dermoplast spray. 

@anonellis I actually don't mind having not left the house yet JUST yet. Although I know it's unhealthy to get into a bad habit of just staying in. Hoping to make it out for at least a short walk around the block with the baby at some point this upcoming week. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think a cut takes longer to heal. Keep up the meds for the swelling :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @anonellis omg yes! I hate pregnancy, and was so for sure about wanting two only. My DH and I last night were talking about how we are both sad that this is the last time we will do the infant thing, and that seeing him makes us want more.

Did not feel this way at all with DD, but maybe because I knew I wanted another after her? We are enjoying the newborn phase so much more this time around (probably because we now know that they will grow into a toddler with tantrums) which may be contributing to those feelings as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So I remember being told that when you get pregnant, you might start growing facial hair. I had this problem (I'm of English and Spainish descent. We're hairy people.) But it seems to have gotten worse since I gave birth. Is that normal and will it go away?

The hormone crash has hit me as well. I'm exhausted, I'm crabby, I have constant headaches, and I cry all the time about stupid things. My fiance keeps asking me if I'm sure I can handle being a stay at home mom and if I need to "go talk to someone," which tends to just make me cry more. I also have to go visit my future in laws tomorrow. This should be fun. :s
  • @ShannonJ96 hugs to you Mama! Your fiancé sounds like HE may need to go talk to someone about being more supportive and sensitive. My husband has busted out some real gems of douchebaggery in the course of our relationship but asking a freshly postpartum mother if she's sure she can "handle" anything is top shelf ignorant in my opinion. I will send lots of creepy internet stranger love and prayers for you both as I don't doubt its hard on him too which is hopefully why he is coming across insensitively. Take care of yourself, and let the inlaws nonsense roll off your shoulders. You're a mother now and have every right to defend yourself and your baby in any way you feel necessary! <3
  • @ShannonJ96. If you DO start to feel like things are bleak and you're having trouble tak8my joy in things or finding enjoyment, don't feel ashamed to take your SO's advice. Ppd can happen to anyone, and there's no shame in it. Even if it's not full blown depression, baby blues are no fun :(
    BabyFruit Ticker