September 2017 Moms

Elective Ultrasounds?

Is anyone else having an elective ultrasound to find out the sex?  

On DS's BMB, a good percentage of us had one to find out early.  We had ours at 16 weeks with DS.  Since I told my OB's office never mind on the MaterniT21, I scheduled an elective for tomorrow (I guess technology is better, because they guarantee accuracy at 14 weeks now), and I can't wait!!!  I feel like I'm finding out the "old fashioned" way ;-)   

Re: Elective Ultrasounds?

• jena333-2jena333-2 member
    edited March 2017
    I did an elective ultrasound a few weeks ago, but I was having pgal anxiety (it was too early to determine sex). I had the Panorama testing, so we know it's a boy :)

But I LOVE knowing it's a boy, I feel even more connected. 

Can't wait to hear how it went :)

Edited to add: here in the Boston area, DH and I spent a solid half hour "playing" with our LO, watching him wiggle around and wave, on a big screen, and got a CD with 30 pictures in it. For $45. Such a cool change from the doctor's office where there just measuring and checking and then you're done. 
  • I had an elective one a few weeks ago to ease my anxiety, but we couldn't tell the sex. I'm going to the same place in a couple of weeks to find out! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually just checked in my area to see if there are any places and the pricing. Now I'm really really considering getting one done because I'll be 14 weeks next week and my family is coming into town.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrsmarygs said:
    I actually just checked in my area to see if there are any places and the pricing. Now I'm really really considering getting one done because I'll be 14 weeks next week and my family is coming into town.
    when I was trying to find one, most of them talk about how big the room is, so you can have as many people in the room with you as you want. 
  • I'm definitely going to do one! With my last, I went and got one at 18 weeks. Haha no idea why I waited so long, I guess I didn't consider it as an option until later (even though our AS was 2 weeks away!). This time, the place has a guarantee at 13 weeks to find out the sex, but I still feel like that's sooo early! I'm going to wait until 14 weeks!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does anyone know how accurate they are at 14 weeks? I don't want to go in if they are just going to give me a guess...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're considering doing one at 17 or 18 weeks, a few weeks before the anatomy scan, but haven't 100% decided yet. I also might have another sometime in May when I'm with my family, so they can see the baby too. 

• mrsmarygs said:
    Does anyone know how accurate they are at 14 weeks? I don't want to go in if they are just going to give me a guess...
    The ones around me all say 14 weeks, and if they ARE wrong you can get your money back. 

I've also seen other websites say you can't tell u til 16 weeks. 

That doesn't really answer your question though.
  • @mrsmarygs The place we'll probably go says they won't guess gender until minimum 15 weeks. I don't know about statistical accuracy, though.

• mrsmarygs said:
    Does anyone know how accurate they are at 14 weeks? I don't want to go in if they are just going to give me a guess...
    The woman who did my last one said that if you get a good shot, you can usually tell at 14 weeks but that she has been wrong that early, so she doesn't feel comfortable doing them until 16 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited March 2017
    We had one last night and it was so worth it! I didn't do it with DS but I wish I had. We have an 18 minute video of the baby wiggling around and great pictures. We did it at 15 weeks and it was clearly a boy. I was worried about doing it so early to determine the sex, but you could see testicles along with a penis so I felt better. 

Edit: technically it was 14w6days 
  • @mrsmarygs My OB told me it depends on the ultrasound equipment and the skill of the technician. The place we're going guarantees accuracy at 14 weeks. FWIW, I clearly saw a little penis during my NT scan at 13 weeks a couple times. I pointed it out to the doctor, who said he wouldn't trust his particular machine to see it that clearly, but confirmed he saw it too. 
  • @jessieR358 Yes! I have that video too for DS. The whole experience is fun because it's not a doctor's appointment. You're there to enjoy an ultrasound and that's exactly what you do!
  • @jessieR358 Yes! I have that video too for DS. The whole experience is fun because it's not a doctor's appointment. You're there to enjoy an ultrasound and that's exactly what you do!
    I think that's part of why I like the elective ones so much... no blood work, peeing in a cup, or waiting... just for fun! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • OmSweetOmOmSweetOm member
    edited March 2017
    I had an elective u/s with DS later on just to get a glimpse of his little face, I waited until I was probably around 28 weeks though.. so, not for gender. It's always fun to get a peek at your babe and I found the elective to be pretty fun because it's not all about measurements and checking ovaries and all that... which of course important,but just a nice change of pace to get full on time with babe without all the diagnostics.

just wanted to say though, you don't have to find out the gender with the MaterniT21... it's not the purpose of the test so, I know for ours (panorama) we had to specifically check a box saying we did want that information on the report. You can get the genetic testing done and still find out the old fashioned way. 

Edit to add: I thought the OP said they canceled the Mat21 in lieu of the elective u/s. multitasking is hard  :|

• We plan on doing a 3D ultrasound later , but are waiting for the anatomy scan to find out the gender.  
  • @OmSweetOm I actually did the blood test first, but it was taken too early apparently. The lab rejected it based on my LMP. Instead of retesting, I decided to get NT scan results and determine whether or not the blood test was necessary. TBH though, I only agreed to the genetic testing to find out the sex early. I was pretty transparent about that with my OB, and never had to sign or check anything stating otherwise. 

In the end, I'm excited to be getting an elective over blood results. It just feels more exciting :-) 
  • Was it everything you dreamed? 

I loved our experience. I imagine we'll schedule another one when there's "too long" a gap in doctor ordered ultrasounds. 
  • What's the best way to find someplace that will do this? I was so disappointed with our anatomy scan during my pregnancy with DD because it felt so rushed and full of measurements. We brought a flash drive and asked for pics and video, but something went wrong and we ended up with nothing. I'd love to do an ultrasound just for fun this time around so we have more time to look at the cute features of our LO.
  • @mrsmarygs Did you end up scheduling one? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HollyGolightly09 No, I looked more closely into it, and the place I was considering had a disclaimer that they aren't 100% sure until 16 weeks. At my 16 week appointment, I'm going to schedule my ultrasound for as early as a few days later, so there's really no point in going in early. Plus, the big reason I was considering having an ultrasound this week was because my family is in town and it would be fun to go baby clothes shopping with them.
    So I guess I'll just have to be patient. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sprite2012  We already know the gender (we did IVF/FET and did genetic testing at that stage). We also did Maternit21 (because my age they didn't recommend the ultrasound to check instead). So my next ultrasound was suppose to be around 20 - 22 weeks...but my Dr took pitty on me and is letting me do a ultrasound at 16 weeks as well as 20-22 weeks just so we can see her on the screen and make sure she is all well. :) 
    Me: 37 DH: 32 TTGP Since 2014 INFERTILITY INFO (Medicated, IUI's, IVF/FET) IN SPOILER
    October 2014-April 2015: Without Medication or Doctor Guidance No Periods/No O BFN 
    Medicated April-December 2015: Clomid (didn't work) and so we tried Femera/Letrozole. Progesterone Met 1000 Not diagnosed PCOS but treating the same. Anovulatory. TI No US No O BFN 

- TW - 
    IUI"S 
    January 2016-October 2016: Letrozole 2.5mg-7.5 mg, Pregyl or Ovideral Trigger Shot.
    9 cycles of IUI
    (7 Cancelled due to no mature follicles) (2 attempted IUI's with mature follicles)  

IUI # 2 June 2016 and July 2016:  Met 1000, Estrogen (21 days), Progesterone (5 days) Femera 5m 6/28/16 Ultrasound CD14 = 25 follie. Pregnyl Trigger CD14 IUI 7/13 1stBeta (DPO 15): 7.6 (Surprise BFP...but Low #'s) 2ndBeta (DPO 17): 18 3rdBeta (DPO 19) 52.8 Progesterone Prescribed (spotting) 4thBeta (DPO 26) 6.9 Chemical Pregnancy BFN

IVF and FET (diagnosed with PCOS) 204 pounds at start of IVF
    IVF # 1 October and November 2016: CCRM - Minneapolis 10/14 Consult and CD 3 testing, 10/14 started (OCP Antagonist - BCP) BCP, 10/21 1 day work up, Doxycycline 100mg 10 days, 10/24 stop bcp, Bloodwork US 10/29, 10/30-11/8 Stims 2 vials of Menopur, Dexamethasone, 225 of Gonal-F daily (dropped to 120). CCRM Vitamin Cocktail (like 20 of them), Monitoring (11/2, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6, 11/7, 11/8), Retrieval 11/10 (38 eggs, 30 mature, 16 fertilized ICSI), 11/16 8 Blasts 11/30 CCS testing results 3 Normal 5aa's (2 boys and 1 girl) 1 Unknown 4 Abnormal (All girls) 

Fet #1 January 2017: CCRM - Minneapolis bcp/lupron/suppository/p4 in oil QOD AF 12/7, 12/8 start meds. 1/3 lining and blood work check 14/15 mm, BW check 1/6. 1/9 transfer with acupuncture 1 CCS/PGS Normal 5aa hatching Progesterone around 26ish? Lower estrogen level 207 (wanted above 300 but over 200 was acceptable), started 1 estrace, progesterone in oil every other day, vivelle dot patches 4 every other day, 3x estrodiol daily, vitamin cocktail. POAS: - 4dp5dt and 5dp5dt, 6dp5dt frer very very very faint line. 7dp5dt and 8dp5dt + on Accuclear. 8dp5dt pregnant on a clear blue easy digital. 214 pounds at FET
    1/18 #1 Beta 91.1
    1/20 #2 Beta 215.9
    2/3 6 week US 2 sacs? Twins? but only 1 heartbeat/pole good heartbeat Stopped taking baby asprin Added in DHEA Veg Vitamin (also got the report that they transferred a girl 5aa eggo) 
    2/10 7 week US 2 sacs (likely vanishing twin) only 1 heartbeat/pole etc good heartbeat 137
    2/24 9 week US 1 eggo sac good heart beat 182 1 very small fluid sac (shrinking) 
    2/24 9 week 2 days start weening. Graduated from RE (CCRM is now starting weening as soon as 8.5 weeks)
    3/7 10 Weeks 5 days  weened completely of FET meds A1C 5.3% (Normal)
    3/9 11 Weeks 1 day my progesterone level was 15 and my estrogen level was 881 (I freaked out!)
    3/16 12 Weeks 1 day baby heard on doppler 164 HB
    4/14 16 week 2 days Ultrasound baby is looking good with all good numbers sized 17 weeks. Also got to hear her on the doppler for a few mins too. 

5/5 19 Weeks 2 days going in for "20" week anatomy ultrasound got measurements but need to come back as wasn't able to get all the measurements
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 4.6 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (78%) HC 17.0 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (70%) AC 14.5 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (69%) Femur 3.1 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (63%) Humerus 3.1 cm 20 weeks 2 days (84%) Cerebellum 2.0 cm 19 weeks 5 days
    CisternaMagna 6.2 mm Nuchal Fold 4.5 mm
    HC/AC 1.17 FL/AC 0.22 FL/BPD 0.68 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 309 grams - 0 lbs 11 oz
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 19 weeks 5 days +/- 10 days.

6/9 24 Weeks 2 days Glucose Test 1 hour (Failed) 190
    6/16 25 Weeks 2 days Ultrasound and 1st Baby Shower 
    6/20 25 Weeks 6 days Glucose Test 3 Hours (Failed) 95 (95), 183 (180), 213 (155), 198 (140) etc
    6/21 26 Weeks Recommended to a perintologist
    6/22 26 Weeks 1 day start monitoring blood sugar levels 
    6/30 27 Weeks 2 day A1 (blood sugar test ordered)

7/5 28 Weeks Echo and 3d Ultrasound
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 2.6 Q2: 3.2 Q3: 4.8 Q4: 5.6 AFI Total = 16.3 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal 
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 7.2 cm 28 weeks 5 days* (60%) HC 26.4 cm 28 weeks 4 days* (48%) AC 23.3 cm 27 weeks 4 days* (36%) Femur 5.2 cm 28 weeks 0 days* (36%) Humerus 4.8 cm 28 weeks 0 days (49%)
    HC/AC 1.13 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.73 Ceph Index 0.77 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1142 grams - 2 lbs 8 oz (37%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 28 weeks 1 day +/- 14 days.

7/10 28 Weeks 5 days Dietitian Appt and Lactatcian Consultant and A1 blood draw 5.4% (normal) 218.5 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks GD consult. 6 Lantus at 7pm daily. Novolog 1 unit for every 15 gm carbohydrate if consumed more than 30 gm at brkfst or 60 gm at lunch or supper 215.6 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks Transferred care to OB due to high risk. 216 pounds

8/2 32 Weeks Ultrasound (not cooperative and still breech) and then weekly NST's
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.0 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (44%) HC 29.2 cm 31 weeks 6 days* (22%) AC 26.9 cm 31 weeks 0 days* (24%)  Femur 6.3 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (57%) Humerus 5.7 cm 32 weeks 6 days (71%)
    HC/AC 1.08 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.78 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1808 grams - 3 lbs 15 oz (29%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 31 weeks 6 days +/- 18 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.4 Q2: 2.9 Q3: 2.9 Q4: 4.4 AFI Total = 13.6 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/8 32w6d upped to 1:10 for dinner 
    8/11 Baby Shower
    8/13 Baby Shower
    8/16 34 weeks NST good reading Upped to 8 at bed for fasting and 1:7 for dinner 
    8/18 Dr Appt

8/24 35 weeks 1 day (was suppose to be scheduled for 36 weeks) Weeks Ultrasound/GD Dr Appt/OB Appt 
    Frank Breech
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.9 cm 35 weeks 6 days* (67%) HC 31.7 cm 35 weeks 1 day * (35%) AC 30.2 cm 34 weeks 2 days* (33%) Femur 6.9 cm 34 weeks 6 days* (57%) Humerus 6.0 cm 34 weeks 6 days (64%)
    HC/AC 1.05 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.80 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 2494 grams - 5 lbs 8 oz (39%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 35 weeks 1 day +/- 21 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.3 Q2: 3.8 Q3: 2.4 Q4: 3.8 AFI Total = 13.4 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/31 36 Weeks
    9/7 37 Weeks
    9/10 Water broke...I got it tested at the emergency room it it showed it was negative. More water breaking and didn't go to the dr.
    9/11 37 weeks 4 days Called the Dr and got retested for water breaking...
    10:30pmish Baby Girl Born via Emergency C Section (Frank Breech Baby) 6lbs 3oz  -
    9/13 Dropped to 5 pounds 10oz and had jaundice 
    9/13 38 weeks

9/22 39 Weeks 2 days C Section Scheduled for 10am (arrive at 8am) Equinox/Solstice
    EDD 9/27
  • @mrsmarygs I don't blame you... I have mine scheduled for next week, when I'll be 16+5. I didn't want to waste a trip/money because I got impatient, lol. Even though it's killing me not knowing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  •   sparksfly I just googled "elective ultrasounds" and my town/state. Then I just compared the options (distance, cost, amount of time offered)
  • @sparksfly  Like Jena said, I basically just googled it. There aren't a ton of places near me that do it (2 actually) and a friend had a bad experience with one, so I chose the other 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just scheduled mine for next Thursday, I'll be 14+4. I read the hundreds of reviews for this place I went to during my last pregnancy. They have a 13 week guarantee, but all 13 week ultrasounds were actually brought back at 14 (for free) to confirm. All 14 and over said they were able to tell pretty easily, and all the slightly older reviews said the sex was confirmed at their AS weeks later and they were always correct. So I'm excited! I'm pretty confident we will know at 14 1/2. 
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jena333 do you mind sharing where you had an elective ultrasound done in the Boston area? I'd love to know a good place to go! Thanks :)
  • jena333-2jena333-2 member
    edited March 2017
    @vfarland22

We went here (it's in Newton),  https://www.bbprecious.com and we were really happy with it. They got me in same day (I was having some pgal anxiety), and we got a full half hour. It does get more expensive the further along you are for some reason ($45 up to week 15). 

• @jena333 thanks so much!
  • I did an elective one at 15 weeks (thus finding out about DD#@ :) )  Our "boutique" ultrasound place does their ultrasounds at 15 weeks onward.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our NT scan tech was nice enough to tell us 85% girl. We had an elective scheduled the next day. The NT tech said to go anyway to confirm her findings...especially since the place guarantees 99-100% accuracy at 13 weeks. I was 13+5 and she said 99% girl. 
    I was super stoked to find out so quickly. There was no way I was waiting for 20 weeks to find out! 
    Pregnancy Ticker