August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• @nyx @mrsjqg1024 we have this same pack n play. We had DD sleep in a bouncer (yikes I know but it was what worked) then switched to a Moses basket until she was 3 months and outgrew it. We then transitioned to the pack and play because we had just moved overseas and her crib didn't fit in our tiny first apartment. We used that until we moved and she had her own room and could use the crib. We just got an extra pad for it at a baby store in Australia but I think they had it at babies r us in the states because my mom recommended it & then got a crib sheet for it. They have them at baby stores, usually like a mini crib sheet or something. I was worried the pad/mattress that came with it was too firm for everyday use. We don't usually bring the extra pad when we travel, but she still seems happy enough and sleeps well. Personally, DD never liked the newborn napped though.
  • NxyNxy member
    @BlackNYellow that's the newer version of the one I posted. We really liked ours!! The reversible thing was neat for changes in the middle of the night. 
    @LivLew a standard crib mattress wouldn't fit into a packnplay. They do sell aftermarket mattresses that fit if you feel like you need one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Picking a pack n play it's so hard! Why 100 options? Right now I have this one set aside but I'll probably change my mind before the baby's here. 

• @LivLew is that the snuggle suite? that is the one I have picked too. I swear I was on the Graco website doing the compare chart like every day. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • lewlivlewliv member
    edited March 2017
    @smallbutmighty77 this is the Oasis with Soothe Surround Technology. I believe the snuggle suite infant seat stands on its own. The oasis does not but it has sound and vibration. 

Edit: I don't mind not having the stand alone napper because I'm also planning on getting the Tiny Love 3-in-1 Rocker-Napper since I would like to have the baby sleeping on a flat surface. 
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    @LivLew In my experience, no. A crib mattress won't fit in a pack n play.
  • If you start buying stuff now, do you take it out of the box or put it in the closet until August gets closer? 
  • Question: do you use a crib sheet on the pack n play mattress? Isn't it just plastic? Plan is for LO to sleep in that in our room until she moves to her crib but it seems so plastic-y?
  • @mrsmatt1212 they have sheets. We did a sheet and a mattress pads underneath
  • @tova24 I'm a FTM so haven't done this before but I would think it's best to keep things in packages for awhile as it keeps it cleaner. Not saying to wait until August but probably third trimester.

Check any return policies though just in case of any damaged goods you find down the line. 
  • @LivLew and anyone else with the concern that pnp pad may be too hard. 

we use a pack n play at the moment for our lo, and we purchased a foam matress because the surface was just too hard for him. You press down a little and your finger hits a hard board, that didnt work for our Lo. We put it on top of the pack n play pad and cover it with matress protector and because of the thicker pad, a regular crib sheet. It works quite well for us. Don't let the term "memory foam" fool you, it is simply a firm foam pnp matress topper and he has slept great with it. No risk of suffocation because it is firm enough. He will not sleep on just the pad. Here are links to what works for us. 

Milliard foam matress- 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0089ME18S/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1489263455&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pack+n+play+mattress

Mattress protector/cover- 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015HGAJXO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489263911&sr=8-1&keywords=pack+n+play+mattress+protector

Crib sheets- 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CSGOHYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489264001&sr=8-10&keywords=crib+sheets

• For all you Disney junkies, I just saw that aden+anais has some new Disney muslin swaddle blankets.  Bambi, classic Pooh, and Jungle Book. Kinda pricey, but so cute

https://www.adenandanais.com/disney-baby/the-jungle-book-4-pack-disney-baby-classic-disn101

• @SouthernMama15 I already have the Winnie the Pooh on my registry- they are sooooo cute!! 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Has anyone ever tried the owlet baby monitor? We have an angel baby monitor we used with DD but frequently got false alarms, so I'm interested in trying a different one. 
  • @bubblesmtu I don't have personal experience with it, but a close friend of ours used it and loved it. DH and I are planning on getting one. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Bottle sanitizer - worth it? Recommendations and/or considerations?

for reference, we don't have a dishwasher.
  • @lyse01 for the first 9 months I handwashed and sterilized bottles and pacifiers.  We had the Dr. Browns microwave one and it worked great.  I plan to do the same with this one.  The pediatrician said it wasn't necessary, but DH and both felt like it was.
  • What are people's thoughts on travel system strollers? Parents have offered to buy both the car seat and the stroller. I kinda like the idea of the travel system stroller since it already comes with the infant car seat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I will say that if you plan on using a stroller with the infant, it might be a good idea. Most babies won't fit/sit comfortably in a regular stroller unless you can lay it completely flat. I am planning on getting the travel system for the baby jogger city mini gt, because it's cheaper to buy that then the seat/base/stroller all separately. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • @lyse01,

We don't have a dishwasher and didn't for #1.  We used a microwave bottle sterilizer and the Medela sterilizing bags for the for the first 9 months.  Our pediatrician didn't think it was necessary, she advised was in hottest water possible, but we wanted to go the safest route.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I am a huge fan of the stroller/infant carrier combos.  That's how I used to get my small shopping trips done (put items in the storage basket).  It is so easy to take the car seat out and clip the infant carrier right in and go!  As littlebug said, if you want to use a stroller before they are very big, I consider it a must because most strollers do not lay flat and or have clips/straps that actually fit that small of a baby.  And parents buying both is a huge win!

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• kvh22kvh22 member
    @Kathryn0903 FTM here but I agree with @littlebug2010. We went with the travel system because you're going to want a brand new car seat (not used from someone else although within a certain time frame you could reuse for your own kids of course) and the travel system is so much cheaper than buying the pieces separately. I have to walk down a flight and a half of stairs to get outside so being able to fold the stroller and put the infant seat in once I'm down (and vice versa when coming home) without having to wake LO seemed like a big plus but I'm also walking distance to a lot. We bought a travel system and an extra car seat base for DH's car new off of Amazon when they were having a great sale. The stroller still works for when they outgrow the infant seat, you just have the benefit of saving by buying it together if you're going to need an infant car seat anyways.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @Kathryn0903
    Yes, I absolutely recommend the travel system!  It was such a lifesaver being able to just click the carseat into the car and into the stroller.

@lyse01
    We had the Dr. Brown's sterilizer and honestly found it to be more annoying than anything.  More often than not, we just threw all of the parts into a pot of boiling water and sterilized them that way.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• I never sterilized the bottles or nipples. Just washed in hot soapy water. He survived. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    I see car seat protectors (for under the car seat between your car's actual seat). Is this really necessary?

• @kvh22
    We had them, but when we did a safety check at our local police department,  she told me that they were a big no no. I took them out immediately. 

She did also tell me that the mirror so I could see him was also a big no no, but I kept it in bc I needed to be able to see him. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kristenk727 Why were the mirrors a big no no?  Just for driver distraction reasons, or something else?
    I can see why the seat covers might add too much cushion and not let the seat fit well after. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @littlebug2010
    She told us it was a big distraction.  I can understand why,  but I can't imagine the first few years without it!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kristenk727 good to know.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • The seat covers are a no?? How come? I really don't want car seat dents in my leather seats :( I heard the mirrors were a no in case of accidents they can shatter, but I'll be using one anyway. I gotta see if she's good!
  • A great read on car seat protectors.  This is an awesome resource for everything car seats.  https://csftl.org/seat-protectors/ @kvh22 @littlebug2010 @cmmiller531

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Does anyone have a Babyletto crib? We are looking at the Lolly or Hudson models. I read that standard crib mattresses (Sealy, Simmons, etc) are too narrow and there may be gaps between the crib railing and the mattress. If you have a Babyletto crib what type of mattress do you have that fits well? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• Thanks @bumpybump!  I wasnt planning to use either thing, but its interesting to read more about the safety behind it all as well!
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @cmmiller531 DS's car seat has been on my leather seats for 4 years now and I don't have any dents. I was surprised because I expected my seats to be destroyed! 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• kvh22kvh22 member
    Thanks, @kristenk727! Helpful to know and glad to not have one more thing to research/add to the "to buy" list. I'm torn on the mirror. I'll read that link, @bumpybump. Appreciate the quick replies from everyone.

• @BlackNYellow we registered for a Babyletto Modo crib but I've never heard that about mattresses! Hopefully someone can update. I read through a ton of Amazon reviews and no one mentioned anything about that...
  • Belated thanks to @Lauradi1010 @SouthernMama15 @brookedeyo and @kristenk727 for the bottle sterilizer input. I think it's just going to clutter my already limited counter space, and I'm okay with hot soapy water. Bottle brushes are going on the list though!
  • @littlebug2010
    She told us it was a big distraction.  I can understand why,  but I can't imagine the first few years without it!
    So crazy! I mean, are people driving around only looking at the mirror? I would have been more distracted not having it I think and totally plan to use it again. 
  • One of the best pieces of advice I got was to layer the mattress pads and sheets on the mattress. Right now we have 4 pads and 4 sheets on our daughter's waterproof mattress for two reasons. 1) quick changes! If she vomits or pees through her diaper, that's one quick change out of the whole mess. 2) storage. I don't need extra room in the linen closet. Sheets and pads are either in the wash or on the mattress. 

Baby monitor question. Ours broke. We need a new one. Anyone have one that they use for two kids that they like? I'm liking the split screen idea but thought I'd ask here for personal opinions. 
  • @Vamason89 I've read that layering the pads and sheets is really helpful, esp in the middle of the night. But I also read safety wise not to do that because it can make it too soft for baby thus increasing risk of SIDS. So much confusing advice out there!
    Pregnancy Ticker