April 2017 Moms

Re: Questions 3.12

• This baby is so high compared to my last. My OB comments every visit about how high this baby is sitting, and is tucked nicely under my ribs. With my last, I carried fairly low, and because he was my first, I dropped about 5 days before my water broke. Anyone have experience/insight about dropping with a high-carrying baby? My ribs feel like they are about to crack. 
  • I also have a question about the baby "dropping" for STMs. I definitely haven't felt the baby drop yet, and I'm 37+1. I keep hearing that FTMs generally drop 2-4 weeks before labor. Was that everyone else's experience? Will I definitely notice when it happens? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't notice first time around tbh. This time I have a ton of pressure down there
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • I was gonna say the same thing as @HappyAnjel. I have no clue. I can't even remember.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • My OB says I'm still carrying high but at my ultrasound baby's head was pretty low in my pelvis so I'm all confused. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• I always carry super low. People commented I dropped about a week before #1 was born. Subsequent pregnancies you usually don't drop until labor. I don't think I can't drop though. Baby is so, so low already. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I carried really high with my DD the whole time. My stomach didn't drop at all until I pushed her out. 
  • With DS I noticably dropped about a month before he was born. With this one I've noticably dropped in the last week or so so we'll see when she shows up!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This baby is sooooooooo low. She has been for a couple of months. At my last appointment her head was literally just down in my pelvis, labor ready. It has gotten pretty painful. I can hardly walk with her between my legs. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What is the point of a sleeping nursing bra?  The ones I have seen don't seem to come undone like the traditional ones, so why wear one?  I literally have no idea since I'm a ftm

• @aboxofchocolates I'm also a FTM but I've heard you'll want to wear nursing pads when you sleep so you need something to hold them in. The sleep ones are designed to pull aside, not unclip, that's why they are v neck. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @aboxofchocolates @catem07 Catem is dead on. You want the nursing pads while you sleep and most of the night time bras are v-neck style where you can just slide a boob out. They don't have any structure or padding so, they feel better. I needed pads at night for over 6months and, that was with a baby that STTN. I was just really into leaking. 

The Cake cotton candy bra or the Motherhood Maternity sports clip (half the price) will be comfy at night too because they end up stretching out a bit. Use the stickies on the back of the pads at night. Mine would slide around if I forgot. 

• Does anyone have experience with a pulled muscle in their bump? My OB said the other day that it's common and happens easily but since I was so sick last week the coughing and coughing has made it ten times worse! I'm at work now and In SO much pain it's ridiculous...I have an appt on Tuesday but looking for some relief for when I get home tonight 
  • @Ekzerr I don't have any experience with it but my OB said epsom salt soaks are great for sore muscles while pregnant. Maybe that would help some? 
  • I'll try it thanks!!! @taylor72
  • @ekzerr, yes! Not this pregnancy but with one of my prior ones I pulled an abdominal muscle. It hurt so bad and I had to be really careful how I moved but it healed before birth. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • @mwoodside good to hear, thanks! Glad it healed up for you :)
  • Question for those of you that already have 2+ babies on the outside and labored:

With DS, I had major back labor. I never felt anything in the front. Is it safe to assume that the contractions I felt for #1 would be similar to what I will feel for #2? Or does it all depend on how he is situated in there? 
  • Another question, because that is all I am good for.  Today I started getting random sharp pains.  At one point it felt like it was through my vagina (asked my doctor about this last time she said probably baby pushing on a nerve) Then today I had a sharp pain in my abdomen that took my breath away but only lasted a second or two.  I'm not worried because baby has still been moving a lot today.  Is this just normal third trimester stuff?  Could it mean anything?

• @aboxofchocolates The sharp pain in the abdomen could have possibly been a contraction.. If that's the case, as long as they are not consistent and increasing, then there is nothing to worry about. Just your body practicing for the real deal. :)
  • @aboxofchocolates where is the sharp pain? Is it in one spot? Does your belly get hard? 

I'm dealing with a similar thing...It feels like a runners stitch in my low belly to one side. It feels nothing like contractions to me but I'm wondering if I'm feeling them differently this time. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @aboxofchocolates and @cafedisco I've been having pain/tightness in one specific spot (low-mid left side of my belly) for a week or so, and I brought it up with my midwife this week. She said it's usually part of the baby that's hard or bony. In my case, it's the baby's hip. Could it be something like that? It can be very sore and amp up depending how I've moved.
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • So I bought nursing bras and tanks with my completion discount at target (side note--also finally picked up my registry welcome bag and was pleased with it), and I bought online based on the sizing chart. The bras fit really nicely but the tanks/camis are really snug. Around the ribs and breasts. I know after she's born my ribs will probably go back to normal as I think they've expanded, but won't the boobs just be bigger? Are they supposed to fit that snugly? I don't know what to expect of the fit when my milk comes in and all that. 
  • @aboxofchocolates I have had a few sharp pains recently...I am not sure as to exactly what they are, but I am pretty sure that some of them are elbow jabs (or something similar).  I also think that some are just muscle spasms or twitches...I attribute it to my muscles being so stretched, but who knows.
  • More questions from me:  I woke up with a sore throat this morning, which I am dreading now because I know I am getting a cold.  Last time I got a cold it got really bad and lasted a month which made me worry about what happens if I go into labor with a cold?  Are there any complications I would have to worry about?  Also, this might be stupid but if I'm sick will that affect me being around me newborn and breastfeeding?  Thanks for helping this lost and scared ftm

• @HGRich I'm a FTM so I don't have any experience to offer but I've bought multiple sizes of some soft nursing bras and tanks. I'll figure out what fits best once the baby is out and milk is in and then return what didn't work. A friend told me that her first outting was to buy nursing bras. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HGRich I have Target nursing camis. They were tight after my milk came in, but after several weeks they regulated and fit. I'm a bit minimal and just got one size. 
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Omie_Wise and @visualcircus thank you that helps. I guess we'll see, and if I need a bigger size I can always send DH out to get one. lol. 
  • @aboxofchocolates our bodies are so smart! If you are breastfeeding and sick, your milk will produce the right antibodies to help LO from getting sick. Your baby is already getting exposed to it and will be ok!  I will say you have to be very careful with medicines because many decongestants will dry up supply. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @cafedisco  Thanks so much for the advice.  We took a breastfeeding class yesterday and the woman basically said the exact same thing you said!