February 2017 Moms

Baby Constipation? *UPDATED*

scifichick09scifichick09 member
edited March 2017 in February 2017 Moms

Hey guys, so I know I've been MIA a lot lately. It's just been so busy around here with little man and bringing him to work with me every day. My question though is probably for STMs....when is it time to worry/call doctor about constipation in babies?

My baby is EFF, has been for about 2 weeks now, and Friday he was REALLY fussy, like inconsolable. Then Saturday his poop was just a little nugget instead of a full, mushy diaper like usual. I got another nugget Saturday night and he really strained and shrieked when he passed it. Then Sunday night he filled his diaper, but he was still straining and crying a lot (you can tell he's in pain) when he did it.  I got another full diaper earlier today, but again he's still straining and crying when he poops and it takes him a long time to get it all out. Part of me feels like he's on the road to working it out since we're getting more than just one little nugget at a time...but the new mom in me is still worried and wondering at what point should I be calling the doctor? There is no blood in his stool, but it is definitely thicker and drier than it was before.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby Constipation? *UPDATED*

• I've never experienced that with any of my kids at this age. If he seems too be in pain I'd probably put a call in. They might say to let it go for now, or they might suggest something to help. Either way, it won't hurt to call. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree,  call your doctor,  that sounds unusual.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • another vote for call. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Thanks, I called and left a message with his doctor this morning. I'll update with her advice once I hear back.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• Well, good news and bad news.

Good news is, the doctor said that unfortunately constipation in EFF babies is kinda common and that as long as he doesn't go more than a few days without a bowel movement, he's fine.

Bad news is there's not really anything to be done about it. She said he'll struggle, strain, cry, and turn red from pushing, but that's all normal. As long as there is no blood in the stool, I shouldn't worry. She mentioned that when he's a little older, if he's still having this problem, we can give him some diluted prune juice, but she felt he is still too young for that right now. She just gave me some tips for helping him pass the stool (bicycle legs, tummy massage, warm bath), which we were already doing for his gas...so I guess we'll just keep on keeping on! Poor little guy :(

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• Aw, :( I hope he has an easier time passing the stool. They didn't suggest switching up the formula?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No, she seemed to think/was hopeful that he would go back to normal stools on his own in a few days. But if things don't start to improve soon or get any worse, I'll probably call again.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• I hope he regulates it out so he can have more comfortable poos. And I hope you're doing well too!! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @kswiger06 ! I'm doing good, exhausted, but good. I'm hoping that now that I'm back to work and have the whole working with a baby thing figured out I can make more time to get back on this board! I hope things are going well for you too :)

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @scifichick09, we're having a similar problem. 

LO (now 6w 4d) has been EFF since day 1. He was on RTF and never had a problem. At one month, we switched him to powder (Similac Pro-Sensitive) and started becoming constipated. A lot of straining and grunting and we'd get nothing. After going 2 days with no poop, we called the doctor and they suggested giving him a prune juice/water mixture 2oz each). That helped a little, and he finally pooped. After little consistency in his pooping, we called the doctor back the following week and voiced our concerns. She suggested to instead add 15mL to the morning bottle each day. Now we have some more consistency, he's pooping once every other day, but the days he doesn't poop he is miserable. I'm actually going to call the doctor again tomorrow to see if I can add prune juice to the night bottle too and see if that helps. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• @scifichick09 my DS is also EFF so I appreciate the info. We use Similiac Sensitive Non-GMO. We haven't had a constipation issue yet, but he poops about once a day.
  • Thanks for the info @imalwaysme79 , I may call my doctor and ask about the prune juice if he's not doing better by Friday.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• m6aguam6agua member
    edited March 2017
    Lurking from Nov 2016*

What formula are you using? My LO is EFF too. I found the generic formulas constipate her. It was so bad once I had to use a suppository and help her pass it (she was 1.5 months old). My doctor mentioned adding probiotics to the formula before trying juice. But before I even got to that point I just tried switching formula. What I found is that there is a difference between generic and name brand, in that the proteins are broken down a little better with the name brand kinds. We ended up with Enfamil Infant being the best for her in terms of poop, but we have also used Enfamil Gentalese. I never tried any Similac, I basically bought on thing of each of the cheapest ones and continued until I found one that worked. So I would suggest switching up formula every few days until you find one that works.

ETA: She now poops about once a day. She had her first blow out at 3 months, because it took that long to find something that didn't constipate her.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @m6agua We actually wound up switching formula about a week and a half ago and it has made a huge difference! We're now using the store brand version of Enfamil Gentlease and my LO is back to pooping 1-2 times a day, normal consistency. Thank goodness! I definitely support trying different formulas to find what works for your baby.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @scifichick09 That's great! I wish my LO could tolerate the store brands. We tried every single one. :( I figure when she is a bit older I will try the Costco formula again just because it is so much cheaper.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20