September 2017 Moms
Options

Unconfirmed multiples?

i did a small search but couldn't final anything similar, please forgive and direct me if there is already a topic on this.

i just had my first appointment (supposedly 11w3d according to lmp which I am very sure of, was recording) and my doctor gave my the vaginal/wand ultrasound and the first thing she said was "I think we have two in here" she wiggles around a more and said well, she couldnt quite tell, maybe one was behind the other. Or maybe it was just one

She took measurements and said it was measuring a week and a half farther than my lmp date and that it's possible they were lying to where it was making the baby in front look longer. She ended with saying "well, I think it could be one that is larger, we'll just have to see when we do the external ultrasound next month"

i know ill just just have to wait, I guess I'm just looking to see if there's anything multiple moms noticed around this time to give them a hint there was two? Does this sound normal? If there's two I feel like I need all the time I have to prepare mentally.

-n.

Re: Unconfirmed multiples?

• Options
    I think your doctor should be able to tell at 11 weeks if it's twins or not but I guess it depends on what kind of twins and if there's only one placenta and amniotic sac and stuff.... seems strange but I might be inclined to get a second opinion.
  • Options
    I agree with @daniellelynette, I would probably get a second opinion. I don;t think something like twins, which would make yours a high risk pregnancy, is something I'd just want to wait and see about, and it seem odd that your doctor wouldn't be more proactive about finding out. 

Also, even if your lmp date is correct, if you weren't temping to track your cycles, you could easily have ovulated early without knowing it, and baby could be a older/longer than expected. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    At 11 weeks they should be doing abdominal ultrasounds. 
  • Options
    I really like my doctor, she got me through my last pregnancy. I guess we are both very laid back about things? I didn't have an external ultrasound on my last pregnancy til 18 weeks or so. We did a vaginal to confirm and then Doppler for the heart up until then. I think this is pretty normal.

I'll send her a message about my concerns and see what she says. She's pretty responsive. Thanks ladies
  • Options
    I agree with the second opinion. My pregnancy started off as twins, and they were able to determine that at 8weeks with a vaginal ultrasound. At that time it was confirmed though that the second baby didn't develop past 6 weeks or so.

Then at 10 weeks I had an abdominal ultrasound, but could still see the second sac. 

I would think at 11 weeks with a vaginal it should be easily confirmed. 
  • Options
    Ahaha. Too much salt for this early in the morn! I was looking for multiple moms experiences of symptoms around this time and what their ultrasound experience was like. But like I said I appreciate that you took the time to add your input and I am taking the bit of advice you gave and getting another opinion. I hope your day gets better!
  • Options
    nouuranouura member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, that explains a lot. I'll give her a call and see what she says. Sounds like t was an unusual experience and easily rectified @dogdisnylovr
  • Options
    Andplusalso you're the one who came in here and asked for opinions and then basically brushed aside everyone's comments anyway. 
  • Options
    Oh there's the salt
  • Options
    nouura said:
    Ahaha. Too much salt for this early in the morn! I was looking for multiple moms experiences of symptoms around this time and what their ultrasound experience was like. But like I said I appreciate that you took the time to add your input and I am taking the bit of advice you gave and getting another opinion. I hope your day gets better!
    Well, that was condescending. There actually aren't a lot of multiples moms on this board, and the ones who are seemed to find out pretty early on. Also, the twin mom who did comment agreed with the singleton moms who had already posted, so...

@dogdisnylovr I'm so sorry you lost one of your babies. I hope your pregnancy is progressing smoothly now! 

• Options
    "No Salt" 
    ...five minutes later "by the waaaay"

like I said girly, I took all the advice. I explained why maybe my doctor approached it this way, explained that the no external was normal for my experience, and agreed I should ask her to clarify. If there's any other advice I should have taken, I apologize :/ I especially appreciated the comment directly addressing the experiences multiple moms had around this time. 

Again, hope your day gets better. I'm hoping to find out how many I have inside me. Not sure whether confirmed multiples will be good news for us or not!
  • Options
    I grew up with lots of siblings, dont worry I can take a few gifs. I apologized in my OP for being it to the main board, because there weren't a lot of multiple moms on here. I didn't expect women of non multiple pregnancies to chime in, but I tried to appreciate what their experience brought to the table, and I took their advice :)

i made a lighthearted salty comment for the same reason, someone internalized that I was ungrateful or brushed off their advice and that can't be further from the truth lol. I'm sure no ones feelings are hurt and there's no point in arguing whether I took advice or not. 

Ill let let everyone know what happens! Doctor usually gets back to me before afternoon so hopefully it won't be long before a plan is made :)
  • Options
    wyomama0427wyomama0427 member
    edited March 2017
    Well when someone says that abdominal ultrasounds are usually done at 11 weeks and you comment back and say that you have internal until 18 weeks and you personally think that's normal.... yeah it kinda seems like brushing off someone's advice.

Edited for spelling
  • Options

nouura said:
    "No Salt" 
    ...five minutes later "by the waaaay"

like I said girly, 
    -snip-

Who's salty now? Salty and condescending. Listen, I'm glad you took the advice we gave to heart, because it was good advice. Like I said, there actually aren't a lot of twin moms around this board. But also, I don't think you can reasonably call someone out for behavior you yourself are exhibiting. It doesn't quiiiite work in your favor.  

• Options
    I'm getting the MUD vibe.
  • Options
    lahearn18 said:
    @amandarene112 she needs the salt to season the cast iron pot & kettle. 
    Ded. Lol
  • Options
    If you wanted opinions from twin moms and no one else maybe you should have said hey twin moms can I get some advice. Plus I'm in agreement with others.. if it was twins I'm sure your dr would want to do testing and such to prove that it's twins. I'd be finding another dr. That's just me though. 
  • Options
    nouuranouura member
    edited March 2017
    **Removed for TOU violation**

• Options
    wyomama0427wyomama0427 member
    edited March 2017

QFP
  • Options

@nouura you sound like a ray of sunshine, you know that? Everyone must want to be your friend! Especially the way you generalize everyone. 

• Options
    kelseyrayaykelseyrayay member
    edited March 2017

Just in case there is a DD nouura said:
    i did a small search but couldn't final anything similar, please forgive and direct me if there is already a topic on this.

i just had my first appointment (supposedly 11w3d according to lmp which I am very sure of, was recording) and my doctor gave my the vaginal/wand ultrasound and the first thing she said was "I think we have two in here" she wiggles around a more and said well, she couldnt quite tell, maybe one was behind the other. Or maybe it was just one

She took measurements and said it was measuring a week and a half farther than my lmp date and that it's possible they were lying to where it was making the baby in front look longer. She ended with saying "well, I think it could be one that is larger, we'll just have to see when we do the external ultrasound next month"

i know ill just just have to wait, I guess I'm just looking to see if there's anything multiple moms noticed around this time to give them a hint there was two? Does this sound normal? If there's two I feel like I need all the time I have to prepare mentally.

-n.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"