Working Moms

Improving career while TTC

I am struggling with a decision. My DH and I have been struggling with infertility for 3.5 years. I currently work from home, make my own schedule and get to do whatever I want, which would be perfect for starting a family. I hoped that last year would be our year but sadly nothing has worked so far. I like the freedom I have at work but I am not in love with the field I work in. The jobs I see posted that are exactly what I'd like to do are not as flexible. Do I stick with what I am doing while we continue our TTC journey, or do I continue to develop my career?

Re: Improving career while TTC

• I don't know if I'm qualified to give you an answer one way or the other. As women, we're told we can have one or the other- a career or a family. And employers don't make it easy on us to have both. 

As as an individual who has known first hand that one has to come before the other, I have chosen my family and put my career on the back burner. I work in a job that is semi-flexible (more so than my previous employer was) and understands that I'm a mom as well as an employee. 

But I want to wish you all the luck in the world. I hope you find a way to have the dream job and the flexibility to be the best mom you could be. 
  • I would continue to develop your career.  As someone who struggled with infertility for 5 years, at first I used to not buy clothes and worked part-time because I thought I would get pregnant soon and need to buy maternity clothes and part-time was a good gig for having a family.  After so many years of putting my life on hold waiting for the positive pregnancy test, I decided to live life to the fullest.  I bought great clothes and got a full-time job I love.  I thought, might as well be making money working full-time doing something I love.  Well when my 4 kids came along in 4 years, I adjusted.  I still work full-time and the kids fit into my life.  It will all work out.  Don't put your life/career on hold waiting for the baby to come.  The minute I decided to not put my life and career on hold is when the babies started coming!
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was TTC, something that really resonated with me was "don't live like you're pregnant until you're pregnant". You'll just end up missing out on your life now and might wish you had taken advantage of the opportunities once you have kids.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I'd move forward with your career. I'm so sorry you are dealing with infertility, but I feel if you stay in your current spot you are going to notice it more? Does that make sense. I would pursue what you want to do, something good may happen in the process. At least you'd have the career you want and maybe that baby when the time is right. Now is the time it's a little easier to make changes, pre-children. Go for your dreams!