March 2017 Moms

STM Check-In (Third and fourth timers too!)

Re: STM Check-In (Third and fourth timers too!)

• @kjd291 I'm glad you survived! Who keeps an office that hot?! doc did make me feel better about keeping her at an angle at night to try to help  ... and yes I'm so glad they're birthday buddies!
    Idk. I always keep my house cool-so it's weird to me. I guess it's just because you undress kids for them to be examined?? But I think a solid 70° is plenty warm enough to take your kids clothes off. 

@kjd291 HOW DID YOU GET YOUR TODDLER TO SLEEP?
    How is it going? Or how do I do it?? Or? Haha. The all caps is throwing me off ;p
  • shines721 said:
    I haven't delivered yet.. and maybe I'm weak but last time around, I popped the Motrin religiously. ... I did it actually a lot for nursing. In the blur of nighttime feeds, I'd wake up, pee, change him, nurse, rock to sleep, stumble downstairs, pop a pill, smother on lanolin, guzzle water, sleep, repeat. 
    I feel like this is what I'm doing now
  • Loading the player...
  • When are you due/How old is baby? 2w2d old 

How old are your other kids? Share names if you'd like!
      Kylie 9 yrs old

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: just getting used to breastfeeding. DD1 was formula fed

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : we've adjusted pretty well. My 9 he old doesn't seem too jealous and is actually a really big help. I'm so in love with this baby I don't know why but I'm already wanting to have another. I guess that's what happens when you wait so long in between kids. 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: Returning to work in mid May. 
  • I want another one too! (Not happening)
  • Glad I'm not alone in the crazy / probably the hormones ---> but I'm already talking about how far I want to space out the next one.  Haha
  • Haha one if the first things I said after DS was born was - "let's have 4 more!"
  • @kjd291 my OB was manually pulling clots out of my uterus too! I agree it was def more painful than labor. And yeah, it happened when I was resting in my postpartum room. I called the nurse bc I started feeling the gushing blood. It was NUTS for the next 2 hours, and I think I went into shock for awhile. It was the behavior of the medical professionals and the looks on their faces as they all looked down at me that was really scary and made me think, "Holy shit am I going to die?" And my OB yelling at everyone to "get blood into this patient RIGHT NOW!!" 
    My OB wasn't even at the hospital but he made it to me super fast and I feel such overwhelming love for him now, because I'm not sure what would've happened if he hadn't been there. Everybody else (all 12-15 people) just seemed so disorganized and frantic. 

But you guys, I hear you on wanting another one asap! I hate being pregnant but I just LOVE giving birth. Except now I believe I'm going to be at a high risk for Hemorrhaging again which is scary, but I would hope since they would be prepared for it, that it wouldn't be so severe if it happened again. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm on the other side. I can't imagine having another one right now!! Maybe it's the impending hospital bill lol. 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Ok ladies... have to ask since so many have now gone through two (or three) labors.. did you have any "feeling" that labor was impending??
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• When are you due/How old is baby? Baby is almost 5 weeks old - it goes so fast! But gestationally still not term yet

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: Balancing time between both children. Our older child has decided he is a big kid now and unfortunately that is coming with attitude. It's soo frustrating and I'm trying hard to not lose my patience with him on such  little sleep. But there are days I feel like screaming! The sass is ridiculous and he is being so disrespectful. I made him write an apology letter to my inlaws for being so rude to them the other day and he whined the whole time he did it. It's hard right now too with the weather being awful - I can't just send him outside to get rid of all that excess energy. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : Big brother has taken so well to little brother - he loves him and pats him on the butt lovingly every night and tells him "goodnight". 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ How can I fix our 7 year olds behavior? He's driving me insane right now. 

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: Unfortunately returning to work - but I'm also applying to new jobs. Hoping to stay off for 12 weeks. The good thing is I only work three 12 hour shifts/week so it's nice to be home a majority of the time. I want to work but if I could choose I'd stay at home to be with DS for the first year ideally. With student loans though and needing a new roof on our house (just paid the deposit for that lovely $8500 bill) I know I need to go back. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• kjd291 said:
    Glad I'm not alone in the crazy / probably the hormones ---> but I'm already talking about how far I want to space out the next one.  Haha
    12 months, right? Shooting for 3 under 3?  :D:#:*
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • vino831 said:
    Haha one if the first things I said after DS was born was - "let's have 4 more!"
    When my son was born, I turned to my husband and said, "I could do that again." After my daughter was born, the labor was so fast and furious I was just thinking, "I'm glad I don't have to do that again for awhile!"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kjd291 said:
    Glad I'm not alone in the crazy / probably the hormones ---> but I'm already talking about how far I want to space out the next one.  Haha
    12 months, right? Shooting for 3 under 3?  :D:#:*
    Absolutely! Bring on the crazy ;p haha.

After DD1, I said: I don't know what ppl are talking about. Let's do that again.
    After this one I still feel that way... but said: absolutely having my water broken at 39wks next time so I don't have to have a car baby or give birth to another toddler. 
  • My 6 day old hates to be swaddled. What 6 day old hates to be swaddled? She fights to break free and then immediately rolls to her side to sleep. Sigh.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How are you guys putting your babies down for the night? I forget what to do! Lol

Do they just fall asleep? Do things change in a few weeks and they'll need to be rocked? We have failed at sleep with 2 babies so want to do things better this time. I think we micromanaged sleep too much last time.
  • @longliveregina DS hated being swaddled! From day one he never did it. Have you tried the woombie? DD wasn't a huge fan but only because she needs to have her hands. I've heard a lot of people rave about it for their kids though.. and they can't break out haha

@cbeanz right now what I'm doing is Changing her, Velcro swaddling her with her hands up by her face, feeding her, burping/keeping her upright for about 15-20 min and laying her down. She's still a sleepy newborn so it's working . 
    Personally I'm going to try to avoid rocking the bassinet so she's not used to it. I don't really see anything wrong with rocking her before putting her down bc it just seems natural.
    im probably totally jinxing myself by being so optimistic but that's our plan atleast.
    i will say that with DS we did everything "right" tried all recommended practices and he was still a horrible sleeper and slept with me for 9 months. I think a lot just depends on the kid

• kjd291kjd291 member
    edited March 2017
    Cbeanz said:
    How are you guys putting your babies down for the night? I forget what to do! Lol

Do they just fall asleep? Do things change in a few weeks and they'll need to be rocked? We have failed at sleep with 2 babies so want to do things better this time. I think we micromanaged sleep too much last time.

Onpopular opinion::: Personally not doing a single thing this time--I tried everything and got no sleep last go around for weeks before I started co-sleeping. This time I'm skipping straight to co-sleeping/bedsharing, breastfeeding to sleep, and just doing whatever the heck else gets us (all 4 of our family) the most sleep. 

• I'm so fatalistic. I think a baby sleeps how they sleep. I did everything "right" with my son (short of sleep training) and he only JUST started sleeping through the night. I plan to do whatever it takes to maximize my own sleep, lol, whether it be rocking, bouncing, etc. I love nursing to sleep because it is so peaceful and quick.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With #2 my CS recovery was so bad. I could only side lie nurse, which turned into co sleeping from day 1 until her first birthday. She's 2.5 and still doesn't sttn.

I went straight to co sleeping this time around but I don't want to! 

TIA for any advice.
  • I'm kind of struggling with this too. WIth my son, we ended up cosleeping because he was a crazy boob fiend and I needed sleep. But when we needed him out of our bed, it was HARD to break the association with nursing to sleep. I'm cosleeping with baby girl right now but she's not so bad about using me as a pacifier... it's more to save my sanity bc I just sleep a million times better when she's curled up next to me. And so does she. I'm maybe a little bit crunchy in the sense that I believe a newborn needs to be close to mommy for awhile-- after all, they've been inside us all this time and we are their home! 
    I do hope to maybe get her into her crib earlier than we did with DS, though. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @MahiMama I agree babies need to be close to mom. I just get so nervous and wake up in a panic every night bc I take her from the cosleeper and put her in my bed and promptly fall asleep nursing. Then I wake up scared that maybe I rolled on her. It's the worst thought, but while they're so little I'm nervous.
  • @Cbeanz why don't you "want to" ? Just because you fear this kid will have the same issues as your older daughter?

i know I'm not a professional and only have one kid, but I'm personally in the camp of kids are gonna sleep when kids sleep. 

I also bed-shared with our first, breastfed her to sleep for bed and naps in and in the middle of the night if she woke up-(around) 9mo she was both sleeping through the night and taking great naps ((all in her crib)) without me forcing anything really to get us there.  I think it just proves all kids are different and will do things in there own time.
  • @kjd291 I'm just scared to death of rolling on her. I sleep lightly so I know it's not likely but I'm still nervous.

And yes I really really really want to avoid another 2-3 year old who still needs to be rocked multiple times in the middle of the night. I love rocking my babies but after a while it takes a major toll. DH and I haven't slept thru the night in almost 5 years. I can't fathom 3 more years of this! HA!!! But I mean, we signed up for 3 kids so if that's what happens we'll deal. It's just so hard to function with this level of sleep debt.
  • @longliveregina we're using the swaddlepod, which is basically a cheaper woombie, but it's been great so far! It zips so no risk of breaking out, and he can keep his hands by his face, just inside the swaddle. Not sure it'd prevent the rolling to the side, though... 

We have A sleeping in a rock n play next to us - with his reflux he is not up for laying flat. At night we get him changed and into the swaddlepod, feed him, and then into the RNP. He's been doing pretty well. If he gets cranky, he just takes his paci. Our first wasn't a great sleeper... this kid is sleeping all the time right now. I'm assuming it's because he was early? 
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @Cbeanz I'm sorry that you are nervous: It's definitely not helpful if you're not enjoying the sleep you do get because of that anxiety!  
  • I feel like I'm having trouble bonding with baby because I'm so tired from taking care of two. :/ Add that to my rougher recovery, and I'm starting to feel bummed about it. Any suggestions? (Fortunately Thursday and Friday my H can FINALLY start taking leave so I'll have him at home.) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When are you due/How old is baby? March 14

Our daughter turned 4 in Feb.

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: I'm scared to death.  I worry about my DD.  She is super excited for her sister to be born, but she's used to getting ALL the attention always...from everyone.  I'm worried I will be too exhausted and lost patience with her way too quickly. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : I can't wait to see the girls together.  I can't wait for DD to meet her sister for the first time and hold her.  I can't wait for them to grow up together and hopefully be great friends.

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ I hope it's all easier than my first.  My labor/delivery lasted forever.  DD had colic for 5 months.  I struggled with breastfeeding and gave up after only two weeks.  :( 

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: I'm returning to work.  I will go back to work sometime in May.
  • @Cbeanz with your concerns you could look at something like this

https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Secure-Sleeper-Colors/dp/B00012CHFI

Or even the changing table topper/coushin.
  • @vino831 - I have that exact one!!!  But I pull her out of it to nurse and then promptly fall asleep with her right on the bed, every single night!
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited March 2017
    @longliveregina you've been home alone the past few days!?ughh-mama! I'm so sorry. You're super woman. I haven't been able to get off my couch without feeling incredibly weak((which is why I'm on here so often)) and IM feeling so bummed about my difficult recovery and bonding with baby while still trying to show my toddler some attention.  So I can only imagine. 
    Anyone at all that can come over tomorrow and let you just cuddle with Alice in bed while they take care of/play with DS for a few hours?? And once your H is home (hope Thursday gets here fast) dissapear into a quiet place and get some girl time!! 
  • @kjd291 since it sounds like we will have the same sleeping situation as you how has it been going so far with DD1 coming in at night and being on the one side with DD2 in the middle? What about DD2 diaper changes in the middle of the night? Have you had to manage that? If so how?

DS has been coming in our room again for about a week but he's SOOO restless. While DH is on leave I'll probably have him take DS back to his room/floor bed and stay with him but I know DH can't manage that when he goes back to work. 
  • kjd291 said:
    @longliveregina you've been home alone the past few days!?ughh-mama! I'm so sorry. You're super woman. I haven't been able to get off my couch without feeling incredibly weak((which is why I'm on here so often)) and IM feeling so bummed about my difficult recovery and bonding with baby while still trying to show my toddler some attention.  So I can only imagine. 
    Anyone at all that can come over tomorrow and let you just cuddle with Alice in bed while they take care of/play with DS for a few hours?? And once your H is home (hope Thursday gets here fast) dissapear into a quiet place and get some girl time!! 
    Your answer made me feel so much better. I've had a couple of people in the mornings here playing with my son, but still really need to feed us all and put him down for naps etc. Picking him up to put him in bed knocked me out for hours! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who just feels physically beat. Its sooooo different from how I felt with my first. I also feel guilty that I end up just letting her sleep in the rnp for long stretches instead of holding her all the time like i did with my son. 

I have given up on the bassinet though and just started cosleeping...I got a solid (well, broken) six hours last night and I really think a couple more nights like that will help immeasurably. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina have you looked at tracking apps? I use baby connect and love it! 
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Sleep is going well for us! We've been going to bed around 8:30-9:30 depending on when she needs to eat. I get myself ready for bed and then change diaper and nurse in the rocker. Then we swaddle with hands out or in depending on how she is laying. Then I put her in the rock n play or bassinet (I keep trying the bassinet, but she sleeps way better in the RnP). She will usually wake in about 2 hours, diaper change, nurse in bed, burp and reswaddle. Then I usually get a 4 hour stretch from which I have to wake her to feed. Then it's every 2-3 until we get up.

Ive also had a tough recovery this go round. But just try to snuggle little one while my toddler is napping or watching cartoons. My husband has been off a lot and that has helped because he fully takes over DS when he's off. I don't know how you other mamas are doing it! 
  • @longliveregina that was going to be my other comment but I didn't want to recommend cosleeping if you weren't comfortable. That's what we're doing here and getting lots morensleep (and bonding time) because of it. I hope you keep getting lots of rest! 
    And YES! I was up immediately with DD1--cleaning, cooking, unpacking our house (we moved day before her emergency induction) so this whole recovery process is so hard because I had much higher expectations for being ready to take better care of all of us by now! 
    Trying to just remind myself: need to take care of myself as much as possible now so you can take care of your family soon.  
  • Oh and @vino831 - I actually have yet to have a night with both of them in our bed! Praise God-but I'm still terrified of when it does happen! I've only been home with DD2 for 4nights-3 she's STTN and 1 DH was able to get her back down in her floor bed. 
  • @longliveregina have you looked at tracking apps? I use baby connect and love it! 
    Way more info than I need to track, lol. I used that nursing timer app for about an hour before I decided it was way overkill. But some of those apps ARE cool.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kjd291 thanks for following up! :smile: That's fantatsic she's STTN mostly so far.  I told DH this morning "we" need to try to get DS to get back to sleep on his own bed. And by we I meant him... lol
  • vino831 said:
    kjd291 thanks for following up! :smile: That's fantatsic she's STTN mostly so far.  I told DH this morning "we" need to try to get DS to get back to sleep on his own bed. And by we I meant him... lol
    We're dodging that problem for now by my H sleeping I my son's bed the second half of the night. Not gonna lie, it's making my motn feedings and changing way easier to have the space!!
    BabyFruit Ticker