August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• Pack n play question...We are looking at the Snuggle Suite which has the changer and bassinet/Infant seat. Did any PnP moms have your newborns sleep in the bassinet part or did they go straight to the mattress part? 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 I had an older version given to us by a friend, so our bassinet was totally different and terrible. I can't speak to the new ones, but I would not want to be laying a newborn down on the regular mattress part, especially in the beginning. You probably won't want to be bending over that far, especially if you wind up getting a c section.  One thing that I strongly recommend for when you do start using the regular mattress is the 3in mattress available on Amazon. It made all the difference with my son. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @smallbutmighty77 we had the one with the snuggle suite and bassinet insert and all of that jazz. Granted, we only used it for a couple of weeks in our room before transitioning DS to his nursery, but we used the bassinet feature for sleeping. I wasn't comfortable with him in the vibtating napper part except for naps. But the bassinet feature is only a few inches from the top of the PnP so you won't have to bend down, baby will be right there. I couldn't sleep with him in our room. I am a light sleeper so every noise woke me up. We put him in his nursery with a Snuza alarm to ease our minds about sids. This time I'm going to try an arms reach cosleeper in our room for a while and if that won't work, off to the nursery but with the cocoon camera that detects breathing rather than having to clip something on the baby. 
  • Just want to chime in and mention that some unsafe sleep practices are being mentioned here. Rock n plays, dockatots, "nappers" or inclined surfaces are not safe for babies. Instead look for anything labeled crib, bassinet, or playard/pack n play because those are regulated terms and have to conform to standards. 

Babies should be put down on a bare flat surface, alone, with nothing in there with them. I know swings and the like make fire easier sleep but I've heard enough horror stories that I had to say something.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Any STMs use the Halo bassinet? I know it's a bit pricey for the short time it will be used, but it seems like a good option. Also.. when did most people transition baby over to his/her room? I see a lot of different responses around the board, but wondering if there is an average month that people start to move LO.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 DS slept in my room for the first 6/7 months. The only reason I had him in our room was because of the AAP recommendation. It's really just a personal choice. I've heard that some people find that their LO sleeps better in their own room. Newborns are noisy sleepers! The AAP recently came out with an new recommendation that says 6 months - 1 year so I'll probably have LO sleep in our room a little longer this time. Again, this is just my personal choice and no I don't follow all AAP recommendations. 

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/american-academy-of-pediatrics-announces-new-safe-sleep-recommendations-to-protect-against-sids.aspx
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Just want to chime in and mention that some unsafe sleep practices are being mentioned here. Rock n plays, dockatots, "nappers" or inclined surfaces are not safe for babies. Instead look for anything labeled crib, bassinet, or playard/pack n play because those are regulated terms and have to conform to standards. 

Babies should be put down on a bare flat surface, alone, with nothing in there with them. I know swings and the like make fire easier sleep but I've heard enough horror stories that I had to say something.
    When your choice is cosleeping with the infant or laying the mattress at an incline, sometimes you have to pick the lesser of two evils. It's not ideal, but not everyone is blessed with a perfect sleeper. 
  • britvahok said:
    @secicc12 DS slept in my room for the first 6/7 months. The only reason I had him in our room was because of the AAP recommendation. It's really just a personal choice. I've heard that some people find that their LO sleeps better in their own room. Newborns are noisy sleepers! The AAP recently came out with an new recommendation that says 6 months - 1 year so I'll probably have LO sleep in our room a little longer this time. Again, this is just my personal choice and no I don't follow all AAP recommendations. 

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/american-academy-of-pediatrics-announces-new-safe-sleep-recommendations-to-protect-against-sids.aspx
    Thank you! Did you find that you slept poorly those first 6 months (aside from the typical middle of the night newborn wakings)? I feel like I'd jump awake at any little sound without being able to get a good night's sleep. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first baby slept in a rock and play or pack and play for six months and then we started bed sharing...yes with my blanket and pillow. I just always made sure they weren't near his head. He didn't start rolling til like 9 months so that helped. He never once used his crib. He's still with me at 3.5, partially bc he doesn't even have a bed yet (laziness on my part, plus I love sleeping with him. Between work and sharing custody, it's precious time together) Anyway, I'm actually skipping out on a crib for a while with this baby. 
  • @secicc12 yes, sleep was a struggle the first 6 months, everytime DS made any kind of movement I woke up. When he was in his own room I would wake up and go check on him to make sure everything was okay. 

• I've also seen the recommendations of baby sleeping in the parent's room for the first 6 months-1 year, but I think it's what you, as a parent, feel most comfortable with. For us, I think that the plan will be to have the baby sleep in our room for the first 12 weeks and then begin to transition them to their crib in the nursery. That will coincide when I have to go back to work. Although, if that time comes and I'm totally uncomfortable with doing that, baby will be with us for a bit longer. It's just that 6 months to 1 year seems like such a long time to share your bedroom with your LO, but I get that everyone has different views and experiences. 
  • DD slept in a pack and play in our room for about 9 months. We moved her to her own space but more often than not she'd end up back in my room she was an awful sleeper. She recently outgrew that and sleeps awesome now. It was easier on me because I could just reach over and check on her without actually having to wake up. 
    I'll keep this one in my room about that long too but I'll hope and pray that this one doesn't also have horrible reflux. 
    I'll either be getting another pack and play (probably the mini one) or a bassinet so I can keep my regular sized pack and play down stairs. (Or the opposite.. I've clearly made up my mind here)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • STM...what kind of mattress did you purchase for your crib? The waterproof mattresses seem like they would be loud and obnoxious but are probably better for cleanup. Do waterproof mattress pads work just as well? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @BlackNYellow the pads worked great for us! 
  • @BlackNYellow this is the crib I purchased for DS's crib. It's waterproof but I would like the pads work just as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N4LE5M?psc=1

• A bouncer was a must have for us with DD1! She would ONLY sleep in the bouncer or with us (on our chests.. so exhausting) the first 2-3 weeks before we were able to get her sleeping in a moses basket. We just made sure we took turns and stepped in when the other was completely exhausted so we were as safe as we could be, sometimes your baby is just going to be upset unless they're with you though. Everyone's going to have opinions on what you should or shouldn't do, how your baby should sleep, what is a must. I think whatever you decide on getting, just keep in mind to follow directions and weight standards, and just generally be attentive.
    DD1 is also obsessed with her Sophie Giraffe teether so we're going for one of those again.

Has anyone had experience with double/tandem strollers? I think we want to go with a tandem since DD1 will only be 17 months when this one arrives, but I'm still so unsure. Also I'm worried a double won't fit in the trunk of our car..

• Has anyone had experience with double/tandem strollers? I think we want to go with a tandem since DD1 will only be 17 months when this one arrives, but I'm still so unsure. Also I'm worried a double won't fit in the trunk of our car..
    I bought one this time around because DD will also be young. We got the Graco Ready to Grow and it is rather bulky. It fits in the back hatch of our van, but barely.  
  • Two quick questions for the STMs:

1. Has anyone had a convertible car seat from birth? It seems so far like no one has, and I'm just curious about that experience. 

2. I live in a rural area, but also close to cities. We are going to need a stroller that can handle concrete, gravel, sand and grass walks but most of the ones I've seen are either for hiking or city living. Any suggestions on brands?

Thanks in advance!
  • @megaroo42 we wouldn't do a convertible carseat until much later. I like the ability to easily get baby in and out of the car with having to unstrap everytime. Also like that we can cover baby up to keep germy hands away.
  • Any suggestions for double strollers with high weight limits? Dd is almost 50 lbs the couple we've tried haven't been big enough
  • @leni410 we have the Bob Duallie (DD1 is almost 42lbs, but like 43 inches tall) and she fits fine. On amazon it says it is for up to 55lbs. @megaroo42 It is also a great all terrain stroller - I ran a 5K with it on sand/gravel and we walk on sidewalks in our suburb all the time. It is pretty wide though so I do not bring it with us when we go into Boston. I got it in used, excellent condition off of craigslist - i had a watch on for the right one for a while and was one of the only big purchases during my second pregnancy. 

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• @megaroo42 We are in a similar area to you it sounds like and got a BOB Revolution used for $170 on a swap page. Everyone says if you truly want all-terrain you go for the BOB. We plan to use it on our dirt bike trails by our house, the grassy muddy dog park, and the beaches.

I also wanted to do strictly a convertible carseat but DH shot that one down. I have a horrible back and can't carry the carrier without a baby in it without hurting myself so I saw no point. He will be doing daycare from 3m-9m though and said he doesn't trust himself to carry in a baby with no neck support and all the bags while it's snowy and icy here in Michigan. So we found out my mom has a 7 year old Peg travel system that was used for 6 months and then stored in the basement for the past 6 years. We plan to use that until LO has neck support and then we will switch to the Graco 4Ever carseat we bought. The box advertises all the features the current infant carriers do (side impact tested, etc) so I am not concerned about using it even though it's expired. I know it was treated well and didn't experience extreme temperature swings (messing with the plastic properties) for the past 7 years.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a really silly question for newborns sleeping in a pack-n-play. A lot of the ones I see out there have the bassinet part, plus removable changing table and/or napper and perhaps a rocking seat. I know it's best for newborns to sleep on flat surfaces with no blankets, pillows, etc. So for moms that have used the pack-n-play bassinet part for their newborns, was that ok? I must admit I've never seen a pack-n-play in person and the bassinet part looks like a thin piece of fabric that just gets strung 12" from the top. Is it an actual mattress that is removable when you don't want or need the bassinet anymore? Is it comfy for baby? We're thinking of using this in our bedroom for the first few months, but just wanted to get more STM perspectives on those who have used the bassinet part for nighttime sleeping. 
  • It has a pad/mattress in the bottom.  You can get sheets for it too.  I'm a FTM but we have one for when my niece visits.
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    FYI for anyone interested in the Chicco Bravo stroller system with the keyfit infant car seat - the stroller system and the base (if you're planning to have an extra) are both on flash sale on Amazon for the next 3 hours for 26% off. DH and I tried them out at the Babies R Us event this weekend and that was the one we decided on. So excited to see it on sale although it's a little earlier than I was planning to purchase, but that's what happened with our crib and dresser we decided on too.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22, awesome, us too (I actually got the stroller for free through racking up points with my health insurance incentive program)!  Thanks for the info, heading over there now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kvh22 thanks! I'd been eyeing that one, just ordered!
  • @kvh22 I'm looking and don't see the % off? They just say $379.99- same price as on BRU and buy buy baby. Am I missing something?
  • Has anyone looked into getting one of these? Necessary? 
  • My mom got us a baby bathtub that has a little temp indicator sticker in it at a consignment sale.  We'll probably get one similar to that as well for when they transition to the regular tub.
  • littlebug2010littlebug2010 member
    edited March 2017
    I found one that goes over the faucet, to cover from bumps and give the temp. 

**TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • NxyNxy member
    edited March 2017
    I have a really silly question for newborns sleeping in a pack-n-play. A lot of the ones I see out there have the bassinet part, plus removable changing table and/or napper and perhaps a rocking seat. I know it's best for newborns to sleep on flat surfaces with no blankets, pillows, etc. So for moms that have used the pack-n-play bassinet part for their newborns, was that ok? I must admit I've never seen a pack-n-play in person and the bassinet part looks like a thin piece of fabric that just gets strung 12" from the top. Is it an actual mattress that is removable when you don't want or need the bassinet anymore? Is it comfy for baby? We're thinking of using this in our bedroom for the first few months, but just wanted to get more STM perspectives on those who have used the bassinet part for nighttime sleeping. 
    DD slept in this part (the white part) of the first pack-n-play we had:

It slept her at a slight incline which was great for her reflux. When she outgrew that part she slept in the raised bassinet just below it, then we moved it down to the bottom until we moved. When she was a *new*born I couldn't get her to sleep flat to save my life. The newborn napper is what is on the top (the white part) the "bassinet" is the solid pink part which is also the pad/mattress (it's not just fabric it's a firm pad) That part is held up by this .. mesh pipe net thing.. lol it's sturdy. You can just move the pink part down to the bottom when they outgrow it being raised. Hope that helped! 

pck.jpg 18.9K
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited March 2017
    @szwill86 sorry, just seeing this now. I'm on the west coast and the deal ran 10a-2p so it has passed so I can't help figure it out. I hope you were able to see it eventually!

ETA - it was specifically on one of the patterns (just happened to be the one I wanted). Did you go in through the Daily Deals? I got an email about it because I had looked at that specific one but it was in the list of daily deals while it was active. Just a note for next time.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 darn! Dang west coast east coast difference!  :)
  • @Nyx Thanks so much! Very helpful. I'm probably stressing myself too much trying to figure out where the heck baby will sleep for the first few months. I'm trying to
    juggle safety, price, portability, usability, etc all while not knowing what the heck I'm doing lol. I'm definitely leaning towards the pack-n-plays because you can use them for so much longer than a few months, unlike other bassinets. Thanks again!
  • @mrsjqg1024 I hear ya. I have four different newborn sleep options on my registry right now (PNP, halo bassinest, dream glider, and RNP) and it's seriously stressing me out. Too bad you can't rent stuff like this for a week to try it before you buy it! 

• @BlackNYellow I was looking at the halo bassinet as well but it's so pricey. Ugh, FTM problems lol. I know it'll all get figured out in the end with lots of lessons learned for the next kid but I just wish figuring out some of this stuff was easier. Also- which PNP are you looking at? 
  • BlackNYellowBlackNYellow member
    edited March 2017
    @mrsjqg1024  We decided on the type that has a reversible changer and napper. It was much cheaper than the versions that had both the changer and removable newborn napper. We will need to buy 2 and with everything else we need to purchase this seemed reasonable. im on mobile so hope the link works. In case it does not it's called the PNP reversible napper and changer LX in Etho. 

https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=87985076&camp=BRUAPP:loggedin&fromRegistryNumber=59231170

• Thanks @budzynb and @donehue for the stroller suggestions! Really appreciate it
  • Will a crib mattress fit inside a pack n play?