August 2017 Moms

Exercise and Fitness Check in - 2/27

Let's get these started again.

How far along are you?

What are you fitness goals for the remaining of your pregnancy?

What exercises are you doing now and how often?

What are you healthy eating goals?

GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe! 

DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

Re: Exercise and Fitness Check in - 2/27

• How far along are you?
    14w3d

I want to walk each day and do some kind of strength training/toning.

Nothing. 1st trimester KILLED me - major fatigue/nausea/vomiting. But I've begun feeling significantly better, so today is the day to start moving again. 

Balance. Lay off the carbs a bit, try to get more veggies. I still am struggling with meat, so I'm trying to get protein from other places. 

I've been making quinoa bowls. Quinoa, black beans, salsa, guac, lettuce, cheese. Quick prep, still get protein without meat. It would be good to add roasted veggies too.  

• How far along are you? 17 weeks tomorrow 

What are you fitness goals for the remaining of your pregnancy? Right now its walking with my Dh and dog each morning and depending on time each evening as well.  I also want to get in some light yoga stretching becuase my back and hips have been killing me. 

What exercises are you doing now and how often? well up until this weekend I hadnt done anything!! I was sleeping through my alarm, and DH would wake me to shower! I noticed that on the weekends when we would walk more I would be super sore really quickly, and I now that I feel a bit more like myself, walking every day will be my goal. 

What are you healthy eating goals? I need to try and space my food better.  I ate all my snacks already!  Im going to be super hungry come 3pm.  I have been eating smaller meals, and snacking on fruit, granola bars, and dry cereal for the most part.  I am hating veggies so I eat them in my meal (or try to). 

GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe! Im super into this taco soup we make.  Its ground turkey(or chicken), with black beans, pinto beans, and red beans, crushed tomatoes, onion, bell pepper (usually yellow) and corn.  You cook the onions and meat together, and then add it all to a crock pot, and you add the spices you like (we like to make it more southwestern, with chili and such).  You can cook it quickly if you want or let it simmer for hours!  IT makes a crap ton of food, and its so good with a bit of avocado (or guac) and cheese on top.  DH likes sour cream on it too, but I dont. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • britvahokbritvahok member
    edited February 2017
    @littlebug2010 for mom loves taco soup! It's her go to meal whenever she's at a lost for what to cook for dinner.

How far along are you? 16+5

What are you fitness goals for the remaining of your pregnancy? remain active

What exercises are you doing now and how often? I try to get 10,000 steps a day. I'm mostly walking and doing youtube workout videos.

What are you healthy eating goals? Trying to increase fruits and veggies

GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe! It's not a meal but I love smoothies, they give me some energy. My favorite is spinach, pineapples and mangoes.

ETA: Does anyone have this or know if it really works. Looks so easy and convenient!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VX2HWJZ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=httpblogadayi-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B06VX2HWJZ&linkId=475ff5df346dddd1c2814cb9ec964ee3

• Let's get these started again.
    Hope it's okay I join. I just started to participate on the boards :) 

How far along are you?
    17 weeks tomorrow. 

I've been TERRIBLE about my fitness so far. My other 2 pregnancies I worked out throughout  (after 1st trimester hell) so I'm really hoping now that I'm feeling better to be back to 4-5 times a week. I just want to keep it healthy and not gain too much which I was totally successfully during my last two. My deliveries were amazing and I think a BIG part of that was being active the entire time. 

I'm a swimmer but haven't been doing it much. So starting back up with the swimming once a week, spin once a week, then I do the Beachbody streaming yoga and 21day fix/P90x a couple days a week. It's hard for me to get out of the house with my boys and work. 

I still can't eat a lot without getting sick so trying to cut back on the carbs and get more veggies in. 

Smoothies save me right now. Choc, banana, peanut butter for my sweet tooth and pineapple, strawberry, and spinach :) 
  • How far along are you?
    17 weeks 5 days

try to exercise every week if possible 

have joined a prenatal fitness class. It's pretty cool - combination of strength, cardio, and abdominal exercises. Nice to be around other pregnant woman also

try to eat more veggies. It's hard when DH won't eat veggies at all

Been eating smoothies a lot or some healthy soups!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I wish i could find a prenatal fitness class where i live.  I've looked and nothing pops up except prenatal yoga and that's not what i'm looking for.  I'm totally jealous lol

How far along are you? 14w2d

What are you fitness goals for the remaining of your pregnancy? get back to being active 3-4 days a week is the goal to start and hopefully increase.  with the weather getting nice down south, i'd like to walk one day and then do 21 day fix the other and just rotate back and forth

What exercises are you doing now and how often? i was doing 21 day fix every other day but stopped about a month ago and just haven't gotten back on track.  illness bug hit our house for about 3 weeks and i think its finally gone

What are you healthy eating goals?  goal is to stop eating so many sweets and giving up mt dew.  i never drank soda pre-pregnancy but i want a mt dew every morning :( and i've been craving sugar so i've gotten too many sweets and candy around me.  It's got to STOP!!!

GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe.  spinach and turkey stuff shells.  its a 21 day fix recipe.  use whole wheat/grain large shells or lasagna noodles (make it a rollup).  saute some garlic (i leave out because major sensitivity to it), add ground turkey, salt and pepper.  Mix some low-fat ricotta cheese, thawed and drained spinach, and 2 eggs in a bowl.  Add the turkey (when cooled) to the mixture.  Pour some marinara in bottom of a 9x13, stuff the shells with the turkey/spinach mix (or roll up lasagna noodles with the stuffing).  Pour more marinara over the top and top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 mins covered with foil.  remove and bake for 10 more.  
    Its a yummy recipe and my husband and 16 month old love it!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @sgrant432 maybe look into Ymca's around you. My prenatal fitness is at my Ymca and then after I have the baby, they have a stroller fitness class. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yay glad these are back :)

How far along are you? 17+4

What are you fitness goals for the remaining of your pregnancy? Keep my butt from expanding. 

What exercises are you doing now and how often? I walk a lot on a daily basis out of necessity. 3-4 x a week I go to the gym where I pant out 20 minutes of cardio and then a variety of weight exercises depending on my mood and machine/studio availability. I like combination exercises, like squats with a shoulder push-up using free weights. When the weather gets nicer I'll do 3-4 mile runs (slogs) outside. A friend recommended a support belt that kept her running through all 9 months- has anyone else tried those and liked them?

What are you healthy eating goals? Ahahahahahahahahahaa. Hard right now with sweets cravings. I truly am trying to quench the crave with fruit at least. 

GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe! Non-existent. DH and I are both more of the "everything in moderation" types. One night it's spaghetti, another night it's bratwurst, another night is frozen pizza. During the day I eat any combination of the following- Greek yogurt, string cheese, healthy-ish canned soup, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit, oatmeal, and granola bars. And then I buy 2-for-99 cents donuts and ruin it all. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How far along are you?
    15w 5d

keep running/moving, start up yoga

Almost everyday, running or elliptical 

i meal prep for dh, he's lost almost 50 lbs this past year, and make dinner, all is fairly healthy to help keep dh on track. Some things just don't sound good so I make myself something else, usually unhealthy but meh. I'm not trying to loose weight just keep the gaining under control. 

Almost anything from Skinny Taste. Easy, real ingredient recipes. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• @DeansGirl14 I've been running with a support belt for a few weeks and it does help a little. It is only really holding up intestine at the moment... I will post pics! Also we are everything in moderation no meal planning as well. 
    @clrgrdfrk  I am also a runner looking to add some yoga into my life! I never stay motivated for yoga because it doesn't give me the same high when I do it at home (and pre-crack of dawn is really my only workout time at the moment). I'm hoping to get in the flow of something! (Ha, no pun intended

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• Ugh -the bump just ate my post - I feel defeated.

the cliff notes version is I just finished training/running for a half marathon and will be cutting back now. I have bad lower abdomen/bladder pains, which I think is just how I carry as this is baby #3. 

Anybody found any good youtube 20-30 minute prenatal yoga videos?

i can't cook. Husband cooks for himself (win). I eat a lot of raw veggies and am horribly bloated/backed up leading me to believe I need more water in my life. Plain water is hard for me right now. 

• @donehue I downloaded some apps for prenatal yoga but they are lackluster. There is a place locally that offers classes that I should go to... maybe in a month or two. 

I ordered a blanqi support tank and I'm stupid excited for it. It seems like women really love it so I am hoping that helps later on when I have more of a bump. 

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• How far along are you? 17+6

What are you fitness goals for the remaining of your pregnancy? Walk, yoga, lift for back and lower body

What exercises are you doing now and how often? Walk on treadmill (or stair climber or elliptical) 2-3/week, yoga daily, lift 2/week

What are you healthy eating goals? Eat 6-9 servings of fruits and veggies daily. DH is on a NSNG diet, so I mostly eat that. Except when I need granola with my yogurt.

GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe! I have been loving celery with cream cheese to satisfy my bagel craving. Also made an easy Japanese curry this weekend, and it was super yummy!

I have a yoga flow to prep for birth from a book at the library. Not sure how to post it, but I have found it to be relaxing and challenging.
  • How far along are you?
    15 weeks
    Start back with my strength training more regularly. I was in a really good groove then felt so exhausted for the 1st trimester. 
    Walking hills with the dog, work out videos, lifting at the gym. Trying to get back to 4x week. 
    More veggies, less carbs. I'm definitely getting better but aversions are still happening and when I get full I'm full for the day. It's awesome....
    Pretty much anything from SkinnyTaste!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How far along are you?
    15 weeks 1 day

This is my 2nd pregnancy day learned from the first to continue eating healthy and keep moving. I'm doing much better this pregnancy and have been active. Want to not gain too much weight this time around.

Pure Barre 3x/week, Peloton indoor spinning classes 2x/week, and strength straining maybe 2x/week. Even when I was dying in 1st trimester I tried real hard to keep active. 

Lay off the carbs and sweets, dry to eat more fruits than the bad sweets; eat more veggies; protein and esp meats have made me sick a lot this pregnancy so I'm finding that tofu and beans help to get protein along with protein shakes. 

for pizza we make cauliflower pizza crust! Take cauliflower, chop and fine blend in your blender. Squeeze out the water from the blended cauliflower by putting it on a cheese cloth. Take cauliflower and mix with one egg, your favorite spices, some Parmesan cheese and then lay out flat on a baking pan. Bake for 7 mins at 350 degrees. Add your typical pizza toppings - tomato sauce or pesto, veggies, protein, cheese, etc. Bake again in the over for another 10-15 mins or so. TADA! Clean eats pizza! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @donehue The youtube videos I like are BeFit and BodyFit by Amy. I also like the beachbody prenatal workouts.

• Thanks @Kathryn0903 I will check there!
  • How far along are you?
    14+5
    Keep my stamina up, get sweaty at least 3x per week!
    Barre fitness 2x/wk, light weight lifting 1x/wk, elliptical workout 1x/wk, dance teacher (light activity) 18x/wk
    Eat a veggie based meal every day, eat yogurt to keep digestion running smoothly 
    GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe
    Right now I'm just loving avocado toast
  • I have a question for everyone that's working out or just hugely active.

I have a very active job, I'm walking my whole 10 hour shift. I get between 5-10 miles in a day. I've also noticed I'm SO much more hungry on those days then on my days off. Obviously I'm burning many more calories so it makes sense. I am literally constantly starving! How do I know how much more food I can intake on those days without going over board?

I drink a ton of water already too. I'm just trying not to go crazy with weight gain but I know the more calories you burn obviously the more you can eat too.

Any insight? Sorry it's not exactly on topic.
  • How far along are you?

15+1

I just don't want to let myself go completely. I worked REALLY hard to lose weight and feel good about myself. I don't expect to stay as fit as I have been, but I don't want to start completely over again after babybis here.

I still do Olympic lifting and CrossFit style workouts 2-3 times a week. Or, like today, I watched my husband and brother do their workout while I counted their reps and ate a pickle. 

My goal is always to eat healthy 80-90% of the time, and allow myself some slack the rest of the time.

I looooove "riced cauliflower"! I'll find the recipe later...
  • I have a question for everyone that's working out or just hugely active.

I have a very active job, I'm walking my whole 10 hour shift. I get between 5-10 miles in a day. I've also noticed I'm SO much more hungry on those days then on my days off. Obviously I'm burning many more calories so it makes sense. I am literally constantly starving! How do I know how much more food I can intake on those days without going over board?

I drink a ton of water already too. I'm just trying not to go crazy with weight gain but I know the more calories you burn obviously the more you can eat too.

Any insight? Sorry it's not exactly on topic.
    If I were you, I'd just try to keep snacking on healthy snacks. If you're burning that many calories and you're that active, you're probably hungry because you truly need the fuel. Can you talk to your doctor soon about this, or a nutritionist?
    Maybe some professional athletes have advice. I'm a huge fan of the ballet and this principal dancer recently had a baby, so there was a whole magazine interview with her on her diet tips. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14

Thanks. I'm going to chat with my doctor but don't have an appt for another couple weeks. I'm no stranger to nutrition/exercise/weight loss as I lost 200 lbs about 5 years ago. My goal was to be healthier with my kids.

With my daughter I did OK....but did gain 50lbs...she weighed 7.6 at birth. I managed to get the weight back off before getting pregnant this time but I'm really trying hard not to quite gain 50 this time. I'm 6 ft so I gain and lose easier than most. I fluctuate greatly in a week. My goal is to gain no more than 40, I'm 17 weeks today and have already gained 12.

Guess I'll just keep plugging away and try not to beat myself up when I over do it.
  • @belmont1785 I have a fitbit tracker, and it estimates the calories I burn throughout the day, and I try to consume at least that.  If I havent eaten enough I feel like im starving.  I also know that eating small things throughout the day has really helped me.  I used to overeat pretty easily, and now that I make smaller things and eat all day, I have done really well weight wise.  In only 5 foot, so gaining 2 pounds is a lot for me! I lost/maintained all through the first tri, and I think im up 2 at this point. I truly think counting the calories for myself and eating small things all day has really helped. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • @belmont1785
     wow 200! Great job. The only thing that comes to mind is anything you probably did to lose that weight originally- focus on lean protein, complex carbs, and fiber to both act as fuel for your day and to keep you feeling full and thus, technically eating less. Almonds come to mind as a useful snack. 
    It's so hard with the wacky cravings we have thanks to hormones though. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How far along are you?
    14+2

I'd like to exercise 3-5 times per week.  I gained 45 lbs with my other two children and I struggled losing the last 20-25 lbs the second time around.  I'm 5 years older with this pregnancy, which will probably make losing weight even more difficult.  I've already gained quite a bit from the lack of exercise and constant need for carbs to curb my nausea.  I want to be as active as possible until the end.

I didn't exercise much during the first trimester because of nausea and exhaustion, but I've been back doing 21 Day Fix videos 2-3 times per week for the past few weeks.  I'm feeling better so I'd like to at least do them 3-4 times per week plus get back to running (or lightly jogging) a little again.

Eat fewer carbs now that I'm feeling better and eat more balanced meals.  I'd like to go back to eating more cleanly too.  Also, avoid the temptation of unhealthy snacking and sweets in the late afternoon and evening.

DH does almost all of the cooking.  For breakfast or snack, I tend to have Greek yogurt with 1-2 tps of peanut butter and fruit or cottage cheese with fruit.  I also like low carb wraps with sun butter or apples with peanut butter if I want something sweet or vegetables with hummus if I want something crunchy.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @donehue Haven't tried them personally, but there are a bunch of prenatal yoga videos on YogaGlo. Planning on maybe doing some soon when I don't want to sleep 10 hours/day. Maybe. 
  • Ok tomorrow morning I am going to do one of these suggestions. 20 minutes. Posting for accountability. Hope others join!

• I did one of the first videos that came up on youtube when I searched for prenatal yoga this am. It was SarahBeth Morning Yoga.  It was ok. I don't feel super accomplished right now, but I guess it's a start.  

• So here's a question. We all have different fitness levels and different affinities for working out and healthy eating. Is anyone else concerned that the "pregnancy workouts" out there look too easy? I don't do anything really intense like CrossFit or Orange Theory, but the pregnancy workouts seems to cater to beginners (like, "sit on this balance ball and bend side to side to work your abs"). I worry that what is out there isn't going to give me good guidance on staying fit. 
    Thoughts? Any known resources for pregnancy workouts for, let's say, the intermediate fitness person?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14  I do believe that most are geared towards beginners, because they assume that you might not have been active, or you may have never done that type of work out.  I think that if you try out a few different easy ones, and then implement some of the modifications to your normal workout, that might be best for someone who is super fit.  I know there are lots of ab work outs that your not supposed to do when pregnant (not sure what they are), so the videos might give you some good modifications.  I think you could always make the workout harder, by adding more weight, or pausing the video and doing more reps, or just simply doing it twice. 
    IVF started Feb 2020

• How far along are you?
    17w5d

Im plus size and was really working on my health before getting pregnant. My goals are to continue to eat healthy and move more. I have only gained 1.5 lbs so far and I'm excited about that. 

Walking as much as possible. My office is a couple blocks from our town's square so I walk there 2-4 times per week. That will increase as the weather gets nicer. 

Minimal breads, sweets and fried foods. Stick to clean/fresh eating. 

I love substituting zucchini in pasta dishes. 

I also love cucumber/avocado salad. 
    https://natashaskitchen.com/2015/06/01/cucumber-tomato-avocado-salad/

• How far along are you?
    17 weeks 

To try to exercise 3-4 days a week.

I do cardio everyday and pretty much workout like i did before but with lighter weights and more reps..

Watch the junk food cravings and eat fruits instead

Grilled chicken with lemon slices, green beans and some sort of rice. easy and yummy 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @DeansGirl14 My doctor recommended a support belt - it's helping a little but I am still really sore after a run or even just a walk around town with my husband while running errands. I mentioned this to my prenatal yoga instructor and she gave me a few of the yoga stretches we do to do before/after I run or walk which I will check out.

How far along are you? 15+2

What are you fitness goals for the remaining of your pregnancy? Keep up with prenatal yoga class once a week, run 2-3x/week, workout and yoga videos 2-3x/week for a total of 5 or 6 active days/week.

What exercises are you doing now and how often? prenatal yoga classes once a week and running a few days a week. I've been adding in some stretches as I've been really sore.

What are you healthy eating goals? I try to keep healthy snacks around for the most part. Almonds, cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc. I love carbs so I'd rather indulge in a bagel than dessert, but I am still down a few lbs from the beginning of my pregnancy so for now, I'm not feeling guilty about those indulgences. 

GTKY: Share your favorite healthy recipe! I make a pesto with spinach and kale instead of basil and walnuts instead of pine nuts. You add basil infused olive oil and the traditional (iodized) salt, pepper, garlic, Parmesan, and blend it up. It's great on spaghetti squash! Works on regular pasta as well or to have on hand for a tomato and mozz sandwich or anything else like that.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @DeansGirl14 I also felt like the prenatal workouts I found were very easy and not advanced enough for my activity level.  I continue to do the 21 day fix workouts and just modify them when I need to or take a break if i'm breathing to heavy.  The only exercises you shouldn't be doing are anything that require you to lay flat on the ground.  I modify those in my current workouts by putting myself at an angle resting on the bed, couch, chair or whatever is in the room with me that i can lie back on instead of being flat on the ground.  
  • oriole2017oriole2017 member
    edited March 2017
    --moved question to updated weekly thread
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @DeansGirl14 and @sgrant432
    I completely agree that pregnancy workouts aren't hard enough to KEEP you in shape if you already exercised before you were pregnant. I also have a hard time walking fast enough to work up a sweat without lower abdominal cramping. My solution is to set the treadmill straight uphill which eventually gets me breathing harder even if I have to walk at a 2.8 setting. Haha!

I talked to my nurse midwife about abdominal exercises, and she said that once the size of your belly limits you from doing something, you should stop, but otherwise, you don't really have to avoid certain abdominal exercises. Even laying on your back for a minute or two do bicycle crunches is ok. The other thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to fall onto your stomach. I have to keep that in mind and not exhaust myself to a point with pushups or planks that I can't sit back correctly. Wouldn't want to just collapse on the bump...