April 2017 Moms
Options

All About Breast Pumps

2»

Re: All About Breast Pumps

• Options
    Any STM+ have experience with the Freemie cups? I used a Medela PIS with DD and had success but am intrigued by the option of the collection cups fitting inside my bra and not having bottles extend from my chest while trying to eat lunch. I also think it would make pumping while driving way easier. 

Im also a fan of the manual pump! I took it with when I travelled and while my hand hurt after a while, it had great suction. 
    DD March 2015
    Baby #2 due April 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Car adapter is a great idea! I bet they are super cheap on Amazon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For those of you who have used a spectra, what was your setup? Were there bottles that were compatible? I want to try it, but I want to try and develop the right storage system to minimize washing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Stephout Other moms who have used the Spectra say that the Tommee Tippee bottles and accessories are compatible - that's what I'm planning on using. 
  • Options
    @jennielynn+  Be careful.  I bought a cheap car adapter off amazon and it wasn't strong enough.  I had to get an adapter through medela to make the pump work as it should.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Just wanted to update you guys - I requested my pump after going through the link in my original post (specifically through Byram Healthcare), didn't have to get the runaround from my insurance company, and my pump got delivered today. It was soooo much less stressful than when I ordered my pump when I was pregnant with DS (I felt like I was on the phone every day for a week trying to find someone that knew what was up regarding pumps!). I'm a little surprised at how fast it shipped - last time there was about six weeks of lag time in between when I requested my pump and when it arrived, but this time it only took two weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My Spectra S1 is in the mail, I got shipping confirmation, and I was surprised how easy the ordering process was through my insurance!
  • Options
    I am going to resurrect this thread...

I ordered my Medela yesterday, but my insurance just covers the pump and not the bag, cooler, etc.  I have a Medela PIS from my DS that my insurance covered and it came with a bag, cooler, and everything.  I EPed with him so wanted to make sure that I got my new pump because I am afraid that my old one might crap out on me since it was so heavily used.  

Anyways, my plan was to leave one pump at work and keep the second one at home so that I don't have to cart a pump back and forth every day and the one at home I can just take with me other places if needed.  I looked into it and a bag through Medela was like $75 and I think they were $45 through target.  Has anyone found a bag (not necessarily a Medela bag) that will fit the pump and a small milk cooler for a reasonable price?  I was thinking just a tote bag of some sort, but didn't know if some other mom's have already come up with an alternative.

• Options
    @chelle087  I haven't purchased a pump bag, however I know I have seen them on Zulily once in a while. I also think a tote bag would work just fine as well. I will keep my eye out and let you know if I see anything. 
  • Options
    @chelle087 I used a 31 Cindy tote I bought off clearance for my first 2 kids because my insurance didn't cover the medela in a bag.
  • Options
    Does anyone have preferences for breast milk storage systems (bags, trays, etc.) and what brand you use?  I've ordered a Spectra S2 pump if that makes a difference.  If this has already been asked and answered feel free to point me in that direction - thanks!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @schef070911 great question!! I was going to ask the same thing. I ordered the medela pump in style (as it was one of the 5 models covered by my insurance) but I hear the medela storage bags aren't the best. So I was wondering what other people have used w/ the medela pump. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last time around I used a medela pump, but would pour the bottles into up and up storage bags before freezing. I know that there are mixed reviews out there for those bags, but I literally had two freezers filled with milk and only had a couple of bags leak. Not sure if the design has changed though because that was a few years ago.

I EPed, so would basically take the pumped milk from the day and pour it into freezer bags at the end of the day so that I could store in even amounts. I usually bagged 6 ounces at a time, but since I EPed that didn't cause me to waste any milk.  This time around I hope that I don't have to EP. I will probably still try to use the up and up bags, but will likely freeze in smaller quantities to reduce waste, especially when the baby is small.
  • Options
    I used the lansinoh bags last time and never had a problem with them. 
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    I second @HappyAnjel about the Lansinoh bags. Loved 'em. I still have a sizable amount left and I am really hoping they are still good. I should probably test a couple and see if they are usable. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    chelle087 said:

I EPed, so would basically take the pumped milk from the day and pour it into freezer bags at the end of the day so that I could store in even amounts. I usually bagged 6 ounces at a time, but since I EPed that didn't cause me to waste any milk.  This time around I hope that I don't have to EP. I will probably still try to use the up and up bags, but will likely freeze in smaller quantities to reduce waste, especially when the baby is small.
    I did exactly this. Usually though, I was 2 days behind. For example, I would pump Monday, and on Tuesday the babysitter would use Monday's pumped, refrigerated milk. Tuesday evening, I would bag up any leftover milk from Monday and freeze in 6 oz bags flat in the freezer. I would then take 10-15 bags, and put them into one gallon sized bag and take to the deep freeze in the basement. 

The Target brand milk storage bags were my favorite. Only one or two leaked out of 3 freezer fulls, and they were the least expensive. 
  • Options
    I used the Medela bags, but I never had enough of a supply to freeze. I mainly pumped directly into the bags at work because they were easier to transport (at home I just pumped into bottles...my supply was that bad). I never had any leakage issues with them.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I used the medela freezer bags last time to store breast milk and I totally used canned soda boxes to store them in- perfect fit! Once I had enough bags to fill up a box, I loaded it oldest in front, and was good to go. 
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a crazy system.  Milk is good at room temp for 8 hours, so I would pump into bottles.  If I had more than 4oz (the most DD would ever take) after a session I would transfer 4oz to a bag, then split what remained in the two bottles and pump into them at the next session (usually 3-4 hours later).  Rinse and repeat.  I only used 2 bottles a day this way, but I kept extra in my bag.  I would put what I needed for the next day in the fridge and put the rest in the freezer.  Once I had a good freezer stash I would send one of the oldest frozen along with some fresh bags.  Not the cheapest at all, but it worked for me because we don't have a dishwasher and I hate washing bottles :)

Side note, I used Up&Up bags.  I found they were the cheapest and I never had one leak.  I was paranoid after using lansinoh and having a ton leak, so I always defrost in a ziplock.

As for freezing, I froze flat, then transferred to a ziplock freezer bag.  The bag was labelled with the date of the oldest milk in that bag so I could make sure I was always rotating out the oldest milk.
  • Options
    Is anyone struggling to get their pump covered? My insurance is saying they won't.
  • Options
    @KaraMG35 There some insurance plans that were grandfathered into the ACA and do not have to provide you with a pump. If (from your other post) all they will cover is the manual pump, I would go ahead and get that...many women prefer the manual over the electric. Have you asked if your insurance will cover a rental?

How often do you plan on pumping? Is an electric pump a necessity, or just a nice thing to have around? That's what you'll have to consider if you do need to front the cost of an electric pump. You may also consider renting one if you don't plan on needing it for an extended period of time. You can also look into getting a used pump, but if you do that you will also need to purchase your own accessories kit, so don't forget to consider that cost as well. A local IBCLC or your OB should be able to help you find resources for rentals and used pumps.

Sorry you're stuck in this situation, but I hope you're able to find a solution!
  • Options
    @KaraMG35 you may also be able to get a barely used pump.  SO many people get the free pump, use it once or twice, then don't need it anymore and sell it pretty cheap.  You would just need to get new parts.
  • Options
    Did anyone see that Medela came out with a new pump?
  • Options
    @pammasu0909 I saw that, but also read that it's retail only and not covered by insurance. Here's what Lucie's List has to say:
    "E. Medela Sonata ~ $399

*Just launched on 1/3/17. Full review coming soon!

Marketed as the Cadillac of breast pumps (“the best that money can buy”), this retail-only (is not covered by insurance) pump is fancy and promising. This is the powerful “piston-style” pump we used to see in the hospital-grade Medela Lactina. It has the capability to track your milk production with your Smartphone, which is super handy for our tired mommy-brains and for middle of the night/half awake pumping sessions. It’s also supposed to be very quiet, which is great for those inevitable conference calls (gotta love those, snort)

Stay tuned for a more complete review, but the early results are promising!"

DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options

I used the Lansinoh bags to freeze any leftover milk each week. I used fresh and then if I had a surplus after the work week I would take Friday's pumped milk and sometimes part of Thursday's and freeze it. I think only 2-3 of the bags ever leaked through the 3 years+ I pumped between both children. After the first leak, whenever I was thawing frozen milk I'd put the bag into a bowl or mug so if it leaked the bowl/mug captured the milk and I could still use it.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    @chelle087 and anyone else who purchased a pump with out a bag-  Cute/stylish bags for breast pumps are on Zulily today!
  • Options
    @rachelmiller03 thanks for the heads up!!
  • Options
    I just started the process of figuring out which breast pump to get.  Looks like I shouldn't have any problems with insurance, my problem is however, I have no idea which breast pump to get.  I keep seeing the spectra and the Medela mentioned.  Any tips?  

• Options
    @aboxofchocolates I've heard the best things about the Spectra S1. It's a closed system so it's easier to clean, less likely to get moldy, and therefore would be easier to re-use for another baby (if you might have one). 

Apparently, though, it can be hard to find accessories for it. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @catem07 thanks for the advice.  I just feel so dumb because I know nothing about breastfeeding since I'll be a ftm.  I assume that I would need storage 

• Options
    @aboxofchocolates I'm a FTM too but I've just been stalking online reviews and such. Planning to order the Spectra S2. 
  • Options
    Here is my pump question.... I have a Medela PISA that I used for a long time with DS. It still works great, however my insurance now covers a new double electric pump. It will be great to have one as back-up, or one to leave at work. Should I get the same type of pump I already have, or try something new like the Spectra? 
  • Options
    @aboxofchocolates@HGRich I ordered the Spectra S2 as well based off of reviews and friends opinions. I would've loved to get the S1 so I could use the rechargeable battery or the plug (S2 is plug only), but that wasn't covered for me.  Other than that I think they're basically the same?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @rachelmiller03 I also was able to get a new pump through my insurance this time around.  I had the Medela last time and just went ahead and ordered the same.  I, like @M&Max said, did well with that pump last time, so figured it would be worth it to use the parts I already had.  I EPed last time (which I am hoping to not do this time) so I have a ton of extra parts.
  • Options
    @rachelmiller03 same situation here.  I'm going with a new model because I was never able to get more than drops. Maybe it's just how I respond to pumping but I figure it's worth a try to have a different pump since it's free. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17