April 2017 Moms

Birth Plans

2»

Re: Birth Plans

• It seems like the only reason not to do it is if you are saving or donating cord blood. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @mrsstuessy I had GD with DD and they do heel pricks to check the baby's glucose before they eat the first few hours after being born (at least in my hospital).
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @schef070911 my hospital does delayed cord clamping for a minute. You can request them to delay it even further until the cord collapses and the placenta stops pulsating. My midwife said it's only an additional minute.
  • I'm enjoying reading through these. I was very flexible the first time around, so I didn't write down a formal plan. I knew things could change and didn't want to get my heart set on something only to have it change on me. However, this time around, I am more comfortable asking to have things done that seem reasonable to me based off my previous experience. I will deliver in the same hospital, so assuming they're abiding by the same practices, I know what my limits on requests are. 

One thing I will add is to limit our family visitors to 15 minute increments while I'm in labor, assuming I'm comfortable allowing them in in the first place. Our families will be traveling from out of town, so they don't really have anything to do except wait. We ended up having the nurse shoo them out last time because they were just lingering and starting to make me stress out, so it was something that stuck out in my mind this time around. 
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @pammasu0909 Thanks! Good to know. I should definitely know about that as a birth professional. I am definitely going to do more research. Babies are getting such a minuscule amount of food that I wouldn't have guessed they would have to test baby. But, I'm sure they have reasons and I am off to read about it now. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a traumatic birth experience that ended in a C-section with DS 1. This go around we are going to a birthing center, so I am not too concerned about a birth plan. I will have one made up in case a complication arises and we have to go to the hospital. The hospital I go to did things that made me so mad last time. Here are a few things I will have on my birth/hospital stay list:

- no episiotomy
    - no internal checks (or very minimal) 
    - intermittent monitoring
    - no shots or eye cream 
    - baby does not leave me or DH at any time
    - absolutely nobody unnecessary in my labor or recovery room (we had nurses and hospital reps coming to our room a few times a day to "rate service" and promote their lactation clinic last time. It was such an unnecessary distraction!) 
    - do not push formula. I can and will breastfeed. If I need it, I will have my own preferred brand.
    - do not bathe my baby. 
    -no students in my room 

in case of C-section:
    - as previously explained I will also follow protocol for a gentle cesarean 
    -no unnecessary conversation in the OR. My baby and I will be the focus. If you talk, talk about us. (2 doctors who did my c-section with DS 1 were talking like they were out to coffee- I was so pissed. This was the most important moment of my life and they were talking about their vacation plans).

I am a little crunchy and extremely picky, but this list stems from a traumatic birth and terrible 5 day stay at our hospital with the birth of our first in 2015. 
  • @ebloom3, so did you have an upward episiotomy?

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • @BecNJake I'm curious - why no students?  I deliver in a "learning hospital" so there's always students around, even in my regular prenatal appointments.  They always ask before bringing one in, but I've never been bothered because they usually just observe in a corner.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • We are doing our birth plan with our doula after our birth classes end in March. Some of what we want our hospital already does (delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin, no bath, etc.) because they are baby friendly, which is a relief. We are also planning on writing a plan for a c-section. Has anyone asked their provider about seeding post c-section? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Omie_Wise I did actually ask my midwife about it. She was not really the best person to ask, because if I did end up needing a c-section I would obviously have an OB do that. She said in my hospital it depends on the OB, but most are willing to do it for a planned c-section. I would need to talk to them about that beforehand. She said during an emergency c-section it is less likely to happen, but if there is time I can talk to the OB before hand and ask about it and many will give it a try. So, that was encouraging. I think if a c-section happens I will try and have that conversation. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Talking about delayed cord clamping - I've been reading up on the recent recommendations in the ACOG from last month (https://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Delayed-Umbilical-Cord-Clamping-After-Birth) and am interested in presenting this to my OB. However, the mention of an increase in jaundice has me concerned because of the Rh incompatibility factor. The articles I've found so far only mention a slight increase in term births, and as long as you have access to resources in the hospital to treat jaundice (lights/bili blanket) it isn't a big deal. Well, with DS, his bilirubin levels were so high after birth (with immediate cord clamping), he was under the light and on the blanket our whole stay. We almost didn't get to take him home the day I was discharged because he was so bad. 

I had planned on asking my OB about this at my appointment yesterday, but had to reschedule since DS was sick, so I won't be able to ask about it until Monday, but have any of y'all experienced something similar? Or do you guys know of any resources that could help me understand it all a little better? How would you guys feel if you were in my situation?
  • @Magheeta I don't know that much about this, but it seems to me like it's a balance between the long-term benefits of delayed cord clamping and the long-term harm of jaundice. Is there long-term harm in jaundice, provided your hospital has the means to treat it? I don't know the answer to that question. Also, what's the likelihood that because your first child had severe jaundice your second will?
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @Magheeta I agree with @catem07--I don't know what the chances are of a little one with jaundice after having had one already, but that may be a factor to at least discuss with your doctor. Delayed cord clamping is standard at my birthing center so I'm fairly sure they have everything in place to help with jaundice anyway. But if your DS being jaundiced has no effect on whether this LO will be too, then I guess it's all up to you and whether you want to take a shot with the same percentage of all other babies with delayed cord clamping. At least that's how I would feel, in your situation. But again, if it is likely this one will be jaundiced too, then you'll have to ask your doctor about the benefits and risks of both sides. 
  • @catem07 & @HGRich I could be totally off in thinking this one will have an issue with jaundice this time, too. I think DS issue was due to our blood type incompatibility (he's O+ and I'm O-) so I'm a little worried it could be the same thing this time around, so I'll definitely ask what the odds are that it happens again. 
  • mrsstuessymrsstuessy member
    edited February 2017
    @Magheeta I am also rh incompatible with my child. I am A- and DD1 is O+(like her daddy). Was your immune system sensitized with your son? The only way that the rh negative becomes a factor is if he blood was somehow passed into your blood system, which is pretty abnormal. I know they tested my blood with this pregnancy to see if I had built up an immune response to positive blood. I have not, which means DD's blood never crossed into mine, nor has this new baby's blood. I would definitely ask your doctor if they have done that test. If there was never a crossing of blood his jaundice would have nothing to do with that and was just random or caused by something else and there is a good chance this baby will be fine. I plan on doing delayed clamping with this baby. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We did delayed cord claiming until pulsating stopped and both my girls had jaundice. We didn't need the bili lights but it took about a month to resolve both times and we needed several heel prick blood draws. We are still going to be doing delayed clamping this time bc of the benefits.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• @mrsstuessy - great question. If they did test me for it, I don't remember. 

Y'all are giving me some good questions to ask! Thank you. 
  • @Magheeta I don't know the answer to your question but I do remember reading about this in Expecting Better by Emily Oster. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another thought, I am pretty sure that the reason my babies take a while to overcome jaundice is b/c I have a MTHFR mutation (so they do, too, since it's genetic). And it takes our bodies longer to detox everything. So they would likely have jaundice regardless of whether or not I delayed cord clamping. Plus I nurse exclusively so that is another contributing factor.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• @Magheeta I have never heard of a connection between jaundice and cord clamping - that's interesting and gives me something to read up on.  My first had jaundice too but we were able to have a billi bed at home.  It was scary at the time though and definitely interfered with breastfeeding getting a good start (although pics of glowy alien baby are pretty cute). I'll be asking my midwives about this as well.
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • NurseLaLaNurseLaLa member
    edited February 2017
    My first was clamped right away and had jaundice; my second was delayed clamping and didn't have much at all.  I'll be delaying again. Physiological jaundice is relatively normal and one of the reasons that colostrum acts as a laxative for babies. 

• No student nurses. I know them all... And given my situation, the end result might not be positive, so I need the experience to be kept personal/intimate. 
    • No suctioning if mec present unless baby needs resc.
    • No touching baby until I bring him or her out of me (hands off!) 
    • Intermittent monitoring only
    • Pitocin only as a last resort for the induction (I'd like to try a membrane sweep, cervical ripening agents, and/or foley bulb first)
    • Father to announce gender
    • I want to get up to pee as soon as the placenta is delivered, then I can get checked for need of stitches, etc. 
    • Skin-to-skin ASAP. Baby can be assessed while I hold him or her.
    • In the event of emergency surgery, please sever these tubes. I can't handle another pregnancy lol 
    BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • NurseLaLa said:
    My first was clamped right away and had jaundice; my second was delayed clamping and didn't have much at all.  I'll be delaying again. Physiological jaundice is relatively normal and one of the reasons that colostrum acts as a laxative for babies. 

• No student nurses. I know them all... And given my situation, the end result might not be positive, so I need the experience to be kept personal/intimate. 
    • No suctioning if mec present unless baby needs resc.
    • No touching baby until I bring him or her out of me (hands off!) 
    • Intermittent monitoring only
    • Pitocin only as a last resort for the induction (I'd like to try a membrane sweep, cervical ripening agents, and/or foley bulb first)
    • Father to announce gender
    • I want to get up to pee as soon as the placenta is delivered, then I can get checked for need of stitches, etc. 
    • Skin-to-skin ASAP. Baby can be assessed while I hold him or her.
    • In the event of emergency surgery, please sever these tubes. I can't handle another pregnancy lol 
    I have a few questions if that's ok. Why do you want to pee before stitches? And by no touching do you mean you're going to grab the baby on the final push and deliver yourself? That would be super mom awesome!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • You can definitely deliver your own baby! The ob attending my second daughter's birth told me to reach down and deliver her myself. It was awesome!

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• I caught my first baby. Plan was for DH to do it but I had to move quickly and he couldn't. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • cafedisco said:
    I caught my first baby. Plan was for DH to do it but I had to move quickly and he couldn't. 
    I had no idea this was a thing!! Cool!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker