July 2017 Moms

Gender Reveal Ideas

Since we had an announcement thread and we are now at the point of announcing what our babies are (please no one jump down my throat about the whole gender/sex distinction, I promise I'm aware of the difference but hate the sound of "sex reveal ideas"), if we haven't already, I'd love to hear or see some of the ideas people are using to let friends and family know! I'm especially looking for inspiration regarding telling my husband. He's going to be away during my anatomy scan, and since my body had other ideas about letting me surprise him with twins on Christmas, I'd love to do something fun to surprise him with the sexes (he knows I plan to find out and surprise him). I just would love input on something fun to do, and I'd also love to see or hear how everyone else is planning or has announced themselves!
Married 25 May, 2013
William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Gender Reveal Ideas

• edited January 2017
    ktewart said:
    Since we had an announcement thread and we are now at the point of announcing what our babies are (please no one jump down my throat about the whole gender/sex distinction, I promise I'm aware of the difference but hate the sound of "sex reveal ideas"), if we haven't already, I'd love to hear or see some of the ideas people are using to let friends and family know! I'm especially looking for inspiration regarding telling my husband. He's going to be away during my anatomy scan, and since my body had other ideas about letting me surprise him with twins on Christmas, I'd love to do something fun to surprise him with the sexes (he knows I plan to find out and surprise him). I just would love input on something fun to do, and I'd also love to see or hear how everyone else is planning or has announced themselves!
    @ktewart

DH and I don't plan on finding out until after the baby is born but here's what I could think of at 1 in the morning lol.

- What about asking the US tech to not tell you and put the picture in an envelope and open it together once he gets home?? So then your both surprised at the same time! 

Get a onsie or bib in either pink or blue that say "daddy's little (whatever for the appropriate gender) " and wrap it up for him. 

Paint "It's a boy/ It's a girl" or the baby's name on  your baby belly and send him a picture!
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm trying to decide what to do with my husband at this point. He won't be at the anatomy scan, so I can't decide if I want to mess with him, maybe even make him wait for the reveal party that Sunday, or just tell him right away. It's a tough decision, but I am looking for ideas too! If I come up with anything I'll mention it. 
    As for our party, I just sent out the invites on Thursday. 

Pink for some people and blue for others. Other than that, I'm mostly sticking with a pink and blue party, maybe slightly Zelda themed. (My husband is a huge gamer, works in game design, and his favorite game is one of the Zeldas). 

TABLE: All criss-crossed pink and blue. I haven't decided yet if I am going to keep one half of the table all blue and one half all pink or if I am going to go back and forth with everything (pink silverware in blue napikin with pink string and visa-versa)

DECORATIONS: Pink and Blue balloons, Pink and Blue crepe paper, Pink and Blue cat friendly confetti, maybe a couple signs from Zelda with Link and the Princess

FOOD: I wanted to have the party later so as to focus on the games, not the eating, so we went with a 3 o'clock. I'm going to have pink/red and blue fruits (strawberries, blueberries), possibly pink and blue rice sushi, pink/red and blue tortilla chips and dip, and cupcakes. I'm also holding in reserve any food I might be able to dye (via beet juice and "red" cabbage which ends up blue). 

GAMES: I've asked everyone to pick a gender to come to the party dressed as "pink or blue" and then I will have pink or blue pins for them to wear as well. Possibly with a sword for blue and tiara for pink. We also may have a team Apache Attack Helicopter for people who can't decide/if we have too many going one way. Hopefully it ends up pretty even and the teams can be boys versus girls. If not, we may have to move some people around, but that's ok. I'm not sure how many of the following we will end up playing, but it will be a majority. The games are as follows:

Predict the Birth: A short survey for everyone to "predict" when the baby will come. This party is only super close family, so it should be fun for them (and to see what they end up with and who is right) You can guess the birth date, time, how long the labor will be, if they will have hair or not, etc. etc. I haven't finalized my list yet. 

Old Wives Tales: Write down all the Old wives tales on a piece of paper and put them in a jar. Let everyone take a turn asking the mom which side she fell on. I'm even going to do the string thing live. We'll keep a chart and then see at the end which ones were right and which ones weren't. 

Baby Pictionary: Write down things like bottle and bib, or even things that are gender specific like baseball and dress, and then play Pictionary! Feel free to mess with your guests by doing heavily boy or heavily girl things. I happen to have names that will correlate to images, so I'm throwing at least one of those in as well. 

Animals: Possibly some kind of game where you have to get the names of the different genders of animals right. Example: Pig, sow, boar. Haven't worked this one out yet, it just came to me. 

Colored Ball Toss: Have a ball toss with girls versus boys (pink versus blue). See which gender wins!

Price is Right: Buy (or at least write down) a bunch of baby things and play the Price is Right with the teams!

This is just a link to some of the game ideas: https://www.buzzle.com/articles/fun-games-to-play-at-a-gender-reveal-party.html

THE REVEAL: So I'm doing a "fake" reveal and then the real one. I'm going to make cupcakes (probably chocolate) and fill them with dyed whipped cream, pink and blue. We'll tell everyone it's time for the big moment and give everyone a cupcake. In my dream scenario, someone gets a blue and yells "it's a boy!" and someone gets a pink and yells "it's a girl" at the same time. However it ends up, it should be funny. Then we'll play the real reveal game, which is a variation on the Santa Hat game that was going around during Christmas. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L60W68_HLcs
    That's a link to the Youtube video that was circulating Facebook. The basic idea is that you have a box with a present in it, ours being the answer to whether it's a boy or girl. Everyone stands around a table and the person with the box has to put on a hat and gloves and try to open the gift while the person net to them rolls the dice. Once they get doubles, the box passes to that person, and the game continues until the present is finally open. I'm going to do multiple layers of boxes, all wrapped either pink or blue, and then the final box will have confetti in it with the appropriate color and a slip saying which one it is. I might also use a bonnet instead of a santa hat, and maybe blue and pink oven mitts. 

Sorry this is so long, but I figured I would just share everything at once. In addition, below are some photos of things I have liked/saved on pinterest, some of which I am using, some not. 

Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Loading the player...
  • DH was sleeping when I got the email, so I told my BFF first!
    My family I wrapped an appropriate sleeper, which was opened at our Xmas gift exchange.

Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @chiquita928 Lol yeah, I really like throwing parties and getting super involved in them. So I'm kind of going all out. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @SongbirdintheCity OMG that's so cute. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • These ideas are fabulous!! @kerils, that is insanely creative - I wish I had your motivation. I'm just looking to do a little something for my immediate family. I just want to be a little more creative than "hey, babies are (fill in the blank)!" And I really want to surprise my husband, maybe at the airport. It may be the only surprise I get to actually give him! @SongbirdintheCity, I love the idea of mail out announcements. We have family and friends all over the place and this would be so much more personal than a Facebook announcement or a general, oh, you hadn't heard??
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @SongbirdintheCity that's the cutest thing ever!!!
  • We aren't doing a reveal party but I am doing a creative facebook announcement. I'm buying wooden letters spelling baby's name (day we find out). Then our 4 kids will hold the name up announcing who their little sibling is for a photo that will be shared to grandparents first and then to facebook. 

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @nktrodden - thanks!! I also just watched your reveal video! So much fun! I was nervous along with you! :)

@kerils - thanks! though my plan is nothing compared to yours! love the gaming theme! I also love that the guests are going to come in the color of their guess- I wanted to have our families guess so I may just do it over skype before they scratch off the card....but may give it more thought to amp it up a bit. can i ask - how did you make the invites? i have an idea for our FB announcement (which we'll do at 20 weeks or so), but I have no graphic design skills or programs! was there a site you went to to make it? 

@ktewart - thank you and I totally agree! I bought extras so I may decide to send out a few to close friends who live far away so they get something a bit more special than the general FB announcement. Nothing like a little snail mail to add some charm! 

Me: 36 | DH: 34
    Married: May 2008
    TTC #1 since August 2015
    FET #1: November 4, 2016
    BFP: November 13, 2016 
    EDD: July 25, 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SongbirdintheCity Yes! I am not a graphic designer nor do I have the programs, but I found this site online. They make you put in an email, but it didn't download anything on my computer and it was completely free as long as I didn't want any "special" backgrounds etc. Its canva.com (Link: https://www.canva.com/create/cards/)
    Not affiliated, I just google found it. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • edited January 2017
    @kerils - ha! that's hilarious! after i wrote the previous post, i started googling and found myself in a canva.com rabbit hole looking at tons of templates. i had never heard of it, but it seems really promising and I'm glad to you know you had success using it!  
    Me: 36 | DH: 34
    Married: May 2008
    TTC #1 since August 2015
    FET #1: November 4, 2016
    BFP: November 13, 2016 
    EDD: July 25, 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ktewart My DH has decided he wants me to wait for him to find out the sex for sure, but he wants to know before the party. Sigh. I'm kind of sad that I have to look away for part of the ultrasound, I just love seeing the little bean so much. Anyways, if anyone has any cool ideas for how we can do a cute more than just opening an envelope reveal for just the two of us, let me know. The internet only has cakes and balloons, and both are a little big for just us. I was thinking maybe I could get our favorite restaurant to do something for us, or ask a party store to do something small, but I don't even know what it would be.... I just want it to be a little special.
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils, that's exactly the pickle I'm in. Hubby wants to know before the party. My mom is going to be at the ultrasound with me, so we both have to look away. I'm not sure how I'm going to tell my husband, though, since like you said, it's all balloons and cakes on Pinterest. I'm actually really like the idea of looping our favorite restaurant in on it! We know the executive chef at one of our favorite restaurants and my 29th birthday is on Wednesday. My husband will be home a week and a half later and wanted to take me out for my birthday. Maybe I'll call the chef and see if he can't help me out and do something with dessert or something
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ktewart Google finally worked for me! Here is the suggestions I was able to find in other forums. I basically copy and pasted them, so ignore the weird language. 

Buy two outfits (one boy, one girl) and have the cashier wrap the right one.

I've seen photo shoots where they have the photographer put either pink or blue colored water in super soakers and then the couple wears white shirts and on the count of three spray each other while the photographer catches the reactions.

Blueberries or strawberries with dessert/pancakes at a restaurant??

Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • H and I are thinking of doing the restaurant thing, especially since my A/S is on V-day. He's going to call the restaurant ahead of time to see if that's a thing they could do or not.   My sister was asking us to do a small reveal party for family but it kind of feels like a lot of work so our other thought was getting a small cake or cupcake and skyping everyone in lol probably lame but I don't really want to plan things and I'll be coming off a rough rotation at work :-/
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• We're probably not doing anything, but my cousin did a fireworks reveal on the beach over FB live which was kinda fun to be a part of since I couldn't be there. 
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga
  • @ladybray Lol evil genius. I approve. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @nktrodden826 ahhh I want a cordless dyson so bad!
  • @BusyZee that's what we bought! I love my dyson ball but vacuuming our stairs is such a pain with it so I saw they went on sale at the PX on base in Virginia and talked my hubs into getting it too. We've had it hanging on the wall but haven't had to use it for a legit spill yet but I'm so excited to have my son bring in pockets of dirt so I can vacuum it! Lol 
  • We are team Green, but all of these ideas are starting to make me rethink our decision! 

@nktrodden826 I have a cordless Dyson and LOVE it! So much easier than taking out the full vacuum all the time!

• @kerils So fun! I need to get shopping! Our party is the 4th and I've done nothing.  :# 
  • @alcrimmins I had planned everything but that was the first I actually bought anything. I'm spending a bunch of time today cleaning my house up so I'm not overwhelmed next weekend. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • That's so fun, @kerils!! Do you guys know the gender or are you finding out with the fam??
  • @nktrodden826 We're finding out before them, but we don't know for 100% yet!! My AS scan is Tuesday. Hubs and I will open the envelope together when I get home, and it is going to kill me to not find out before that. We had a "probably boy" from our NT scan, but I want to know for super sure. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • I go tomorrow for the Gender ultrasound.  And, I'm pretty sure my husband is going to call me a hundred times to find out. I'm so exicted.  I just hope he let's me surprise him when he gets off tomorrow evening at 6!
  • How exciting @jlh23love let us know how it goes!!! 
  • I have my anatomy scan tomorrow morning too @jlh23love. I have to take my 2.5 year old son with me because our daycare is closed for the holiday. I'm more nervous about how he'll behave than about the ultrasound! Luckily my doctor is only about a mile from my husband's office, so he might be able to sneak away for a while to come help.
  • AdaByron said:
    I have my anatomy scan tomorrow morning too @jlh23love. I have to take my 2.5 year old son with me because our daycare is closed for the holiday. I'm more nervous about how he'll behave than about the ultrasound! Luckily my doctor is only about a mile from my husband's office, so he might be able to sneak away for a while to come help.
    Will your doc let toddlers in there for the us? Every ultrasound I've had for both of my pregnancies are adamant about no kids, and I've even seen them turn someone away and make them reschedule because they had kids with them. Just make sure you check that. I'm in Southern California but all 3 ultrasound locations had the same rules....
  • mrscate88 said:
    AdaByron said:
    I have my anatomy scan tomorrow morning too @jlh23love. I have to take my 2.5 year old son with me because our daycare is closed for the holiday. I'm more nervous about how he'll behave than about the ultrasound! Luckily my doctor is only about a mile from my husband's office, so he might be able to sneak away for a while to come help.
    Will your doc let toddlers in there for the us? Every ultrasound I've had for both of my pregnancies are adamant about no kids, and I've even seen them turn someone away and make them reschedule because they had kids with them. Just make sure you check that. I'm in Southern California but all 3 ultrasound locations had the same rules....
    Yeah I asked about it when I made the appointment. I didn't have a lot of options since they only do ultrasounds 2 days a week and were adamant a about doing it at 20 weeks. My doctor is a solo practice and the ultrasound is right in his office, so they probably don't have a lot of rules that other places have. But thanks for looking out :)
  • Unrelated, but check out @manillabar 's signature!   Forget all these fruits.....next week my baby is the size of a chipotle burrito---- things I know and eat during pregnancy!  :)

We're doing a sign for via email or facebook on Friday we think....we hear today, and our family won't wait-- but not everyone knows we're pregnant, so we are going to do a sign about our new house should inspection/ appraise go well and say "new house (behind us) May 2017" "new baby  ___(girl/boy) July 2017"--and maybe an arrow--not sure--but I shall hold the sign. I LOVE the people who do a bow around their belly too!