August 2017 Moms

UO 2/16

2»

Re: UO 2/16

• I hate when people use the word vagina to describe the vulva. I know that some people don't know that there's a difference, but I studied so much anatomy and physiology, it has become a pet peeve. (Yes, I'm going to teach my children the correct anatomical terms. But also that in mixed company/public, it's nice to use discrete words)
  • Not really an opinion but most people can't say this. I LOVE my MIL. She's literally my best friend. 

On top of being my bff, she watches DD for us every day we work. And most mornings has a cup of decaf waiting for me and has a lunch packed for the day with tons of snacks so that's a plus
  • Loading the player...
  • aehogan90 said:
    Also, I hate Matt Damon.
    Say what?! Jason Bourne is everything! 
  • +1 on the anatomically correct terms! 

Also, my 0.02 cents on gender neutral baby gear/clothes- it's all for the parents the first two years. Dress your girly girl up while you can; I do! DS2 was 2, almost 3, when he started playing with only girl characters in games, picking out barbies & my little ponies at the toy store, asking for pink birthday cakes, etc. I love my princess boy! 
  • I'm very practical and not very girly myself. I'm also team green. I don't see myself buying anything other than onesies and winter clothes for the first year.  I'm also going for a grey and white Montessori nursery and will pick some accent colors after the baby is born. No theme or anything, just very minimalist with the right amount of stimulation.
  • @dmbfan46835 my only word of advice is that once you switch to a toddler bed, you will probably experience a slight sleep regression. Naps get all wonky and sometimes don't happen. It's a lot of work and when you're up with a newborn all night, the last thing you want to worry about is your toddler constantly getting out of bed. It took my son maybe 2 weeks to get used to having that freedom and then he went right back to staying in bed and going to sleep after I shut the door. I converted his bed right around his second birthday, but he could have done it sooner or later. 
  • @LivLew Are you using any particular resources to plan your Montessori nursery? I'm considering going that route but have just been poking around random websites for ideas...
  • lyse01 said:
    My UO today: I thought my 14w appointment was kind of pointless, and would rather not have rearranged my day to accommodate it. Heartbeat, weight, and urine sample - that's all we're checking? I'm not really worried about this pregnancy, so I need a little more to convince me it's worth it.
    Get used to it:( that's going to be just about every appt if your pregnancy is uneventful. With DS I had my first appt at 11 weeks and that and the 20 week anatomy scan were the only appts with an ultrasound. Every other appt was just look for the HB, check your weight and fundal height and ask how youre doing. Boring and a total PITA. Lots of boring appointments in your future mama :( but that's also a good thing. Means a healthy happy pregnancy for you too. Think positive!  <3
    Personally really love my "boring" appointments. Lets me know baby girl is doing well and where she should be. PGAL brain I suppose makes these things seem more important. 
  • I'm so jealous of everyone who has a nursery to decorate! With my DS we moved about 3 months after he was born, so I had bedding and a super fun orange dresser that we bought, but I didn't bother painting or hanging anything on the walls because I knew the we were on our way out. With this baby, whenever they arrive, their bedroom will be our walk in closet (don't worry it's vented, has a light, etc). Glamourous, I know. We only have 2 bedrooms right now and I don't do well with an infant in my room, and I don't want DS waking up all night to a baby crying. As soon as he/she can sleep through the night we'll transition them into DS's bedroom. So for now the only decorations will be my wardrobe
  • botish said:
    @LivLew Are you using any particular resources to plan your Montessori nursery? I'm considering going that route but have just been poking around random websites for ideas...
    I did the same and saved many pictures of rooms I liked but I also ordered "Montessori from the Start: The child at home, from birth to age 3" from Amazon.
  • @dallasmommy You can still decorate! I bet there are some cute wall hangings you could find or maybe a new light fixture? It actually might be nice to have a smaller space to work with.. I'm starting to get overwhelmed with how many furniture pieces to buy, what curtains, paint, flooring, etc.. Eek!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My UO...grandparent daycare. If you can get it, great. But when my 70yr old mother offers to watch our daughter 2days/wk and I know it really isn't something she can do, it sucks. Because it would be awesome, but she has some health issues that I think would make it not safe. She dropped a casserole dish the other week because her hand gave out-yet, a carseat and/or getting a stroller up some steps won't be an issue? Doesn't help that my niece lives in another state so they already feel a bit left out.  Some of her friends watch their grandkids so she wants to do it too. Yay  :/
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 My in laws volunteered to watch DS when he was first born I said No. They're in their late 60 so I guess not too old but they just don't respect and listen to anything I have to say about raising a child. They think its okay to give a baby water, no need to rear face seats, babies can sleep with blankets; I could go on forever. They have an unfinished basement and I can't count the number of times FIL leaves the door wide open. They think that the way they raised their sons in the 70's/80's is how babies should be raised now.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @britvahok - wait, is it not okay to give babies lukewarm water? Or is it just that milk is a way more nutritious way to fill up acorn sized stomachs?
  • @lyse01 DH and I went back and forth on this and even asked our pedi and didn't get a definite answer. The only thing our pedi said is that it provides no nutritional value for a newborn. A newborn really only needs mom's milk or formula. In my opinion, if it doesn't provide a nutritional value then my newborn is fine with just milk/formula. My MIL thinks oh baby is thirsty he needs a bottle of water just like we do...

• @britvahok gotcha - thanks for the speedy response
  • lyse01 said:
    @britvahok - wait, is it not okay to give babies lukewarm water? Or is it just that milk is a way more nutritious way to fill up acorn sized stomachs?
    also for @britvahok   It is very easy for an infant to get water intoxication on just a small amount. It's not just because of the lack of nutritional value. It's extremely dangerous.   I give water at 6 months and no more than an ounce at a time and no more than a couple ounces  a day.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Wife. Mom. Doula. Photographer.
    BFP #1- 12/26/2011-  DS Born 9/7/12
    BFP#2- 10/16/2014- DD Born 7/2/15
    SURPRISE! BFP#3- 11/29/16-  EDD 8/6/17
    Formerly MrsAB1316

• @DoulaTog13 Good to know! I'll have to let DH and MIL know when they want to give a newborn water!