October 2017 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday

Let's hear 'em ladies!

Re: Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday

• Options
    Here it goes! I am all for protests, marching for your rights, writing to congress, etc. However, today is the "day without immigrants" protest. Immigrants and children of immigrants in the US are supposed to protest by not going to work, school, doing any sort of business transaction... basically as if immigrants were barred from the country and how it would affect us...

But I just don't think this type of protest would ever work, not only that, but several of the protesters have the wrong idea about the entire protest and are muddying the point. I think it only angers people who are for strict immigration processes and hurts good business owners.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @VLillyV this is the first I'm hearing of this protest. But in all honestly if people took it literally,  there would be no more than about 8% of our population.  Almost everyone here is an immigrant or descendant of one.  Even those who have Native American ancestors are often also mixed with immigrant ancestors.  I don't think people will take it literally because not everyone sees themselves as descending from immigrants.  But in an ideal situation it would work.  
  • Options
    Here's my unpopular opinion.  I'm going to drop it and try not to return because I know it'll anger people.  As much as women try to say that "breasts aren't a sexual part of the body so we shouldn't have to cover them while nursing ". They have to remember that men do think of them as sexual. It's common knowledge that men get aroused by breasts.  If you say otherwise you're just denial because you don't want someone telling you to cover yourself up when you're baby doesn't prefer it. If it wasn't sexual,  it would be socially acceptable across the world top walk around with no top on.

Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing,  it nursed my son until he self weaned.  But it is a sexual thing to men and apparently some women.  They serve dual purposes just as every single other part of our bodies have multiple functions.  Our breasts  (whether we want them to,  or realize that they do), help us find mates because they are drawn to them.  That leads to offspring which is their main purpose.

You can nurse in public,  but please cover them while doing so.  Your child may not like it at first but that'll change if you start early in their life and keep at it. You don't always give your child what they want, no questions asked in other scenarios.  They don't know any better. 
  • Options
    Wow. I got to briefly be a part of a BMB last year that was wonderfully supportive. This one is looking like an impending train wreck. I feel like I will encounter enough arguments about public breastfeeding in the real world and other judgement on parenting style and I have enough avenues for political discourse. Can this thread stick to fruit preferences?
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• Options
    @mrs_fogue Ditto with my July 2014. Was your BMB the one that ghostof5letters adopted as her own?
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    It frustrates me that people associate feminism with the "man-hating" movement. I feel that some people truly confuse feminism with misandry and it really hurts the movement for true equality. 

* I know this is a vague UO, but I'm falling asleep on my lunch break while typing this on my phone. :D
    Me: 31 DH:35
    TTC #1: March 2011 
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016:Retrieved 22 eggs 12 fertilized, developed moderate OHSS
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET 2/2
    BFP 2/7/17 <3 Beta#1: 594!!! Beta#2 1630!!!
    Having a girl! EDD 10/21/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

jessafishy maybe?  It was pretty wild in there so when the FB group was developed I switched over and never looked back.  But I heard some crazy stuff happened.  I think we were partly to blame for what happened on the old TB.  I think everyone left and went to some other board format after that.  Of course, I missed all the juicy drama.  Not that we didn't have enough on FB! 

• Options
    EmEeGee said:
    @mjolk The title of the thread is "Unpopular Opinions". She came into a thread and knowingly posted a topic that would be unpopular. It is within our rights to disagree and feel strongly about our positions on NIP. Maybe avoid this weekly topic in the future if you are only comfortable discussing fruit. And while we're at it, if you like cantaloupe so help me...
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    It frustrates me that people associate feminism with the "man-hating" movement. I feel that some people truly confuse feminism with misandry and it really hurts the movement for true equality. 

* I know this is a vague UO, but I'm falling asleep on my lunch break while typing this on my phone. :D
    @ChocolateIsLife Ditto.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    I guess I misinterpreted the point of these threads. I thought it was so that you could vent something unpopular (mostly trivial things), not massive issues that should be more devoted to a contained thread.
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• Options
    @mjolk How many boards on TB have you participated on? This is tame in comparison to many I've seen.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @EmEeGee I was just thinking how cool I think you are, but if you don't like cantaloupe I might have to reevaluate that opinion  :p

Also, insert white knight gif here.

eta: can someone please explain how a breastfeeding discussion constitutes political discourse?

• Options
    Oh, I have a nice, safe, flameable UO.

I hate avocados. 
    TTC #1 since May 2014
    3 failed IUI cycles
    Oct '15 - IVF 1 - 10R, 3M, 0F
    Sept '16 - IVF - 12R, 11M, 5F and 3 perfect day 5 blasts - MMC 7w5d
    Jan '17 - FET 1 - BFP, EDD 10/14

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

I vote to make this an avocado free zone.

But if you hate on my popcorn, you can just remove yourself from this group.

• Options
    CytheCythe member
    edited February 2017
    I was so blindsided by the mango UO I didn't see she snuck avocado in there. Whoops.
    TTC #1 since May 2014
    3 failed IUI cycles
    Oct '15 - IVF 1 - 10R, 3M, 0F
    Sept '16 - IVF - 12R, 11M, 5F and 3 perfect day 5 blasts - MMC 7w5d
    Jan '17 - FET 1 - BFP, EDD 10/14

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @mrs_fogue And now I'm off to make myself some popcorn