February 2017 Moms

Postpartum Symptoms, Issues & Other Fun - week 2/6

I thought maybe a thread for those of us in the postpartum phase would be helpful?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Postpartum Symptoms, Issues & Other Fun - week 2/6

• My 6 day old has jaundice, so I'm stuck at home with him connected to a bili blanket phototherapy machine.

My postpartum swelling though has been awful, worse than during pregnancy. My feet, ankles and calves are swollen. Anyone else?
  • Loading the player...
  • @fourPsinapod I'm glad to hear zoloft is helping you!
    My fuse has been short for sure. I think for now I'm just a bit stressed with my DH being really sick and not helping so the baby doesn't get sick, along with managing Oscar's jaundice (bili blanket at home, multiple rechecks at the pediatrician, weak latch with BFing so trying to pump and supplement with formula).

My 4yr old is having some issues with being too rough with his baby brother. He wants to hug him, squeeze him, and give him what he calls "pat-pats" that turn into borderline hitting. He keeps saying he loves his baby, but isn't listening or understanding how to be gentle. :( 
  • @purplewriter I never thought to consider slippers or my husband's shoes! :)
    I'm 6 days postpartum and could only barely squeeze into an old pair of crocs to go to the pedi this week. Hopefully my swelling will improve in the next week like yours did!
  • 5.5 weeks post partum and I think last night was my first night without night sweats. If I could be done with those, that would be great. I'm sick of changing my shirt/bra during MOTN feedings and again in the morning. 
  • The swelling and night sweats were awful right after DD was born! Luckily both stopped about a week after she was born. I also wore moccasins and slip-on shoes since my feet were so huge.

I'm 7 weeks post partum now and I'm pretty sure I got my period :| I wasn't sure if I would get it right away because of exclusively pumping. I didn't know if EPing would hold it off like BFing can. I didn't temp or track anything because I didn't think I needed to since I go to get my IUD next week. Since everything was normal at my 6 week PP check-up, I can't think of any other reason for bleeding at this point besides my period.  
  • Aww @ColeBug89 sorry to hear you got your period back already! Not fair! (Unless you had some reason you wanted it back already?)
    Hormones, regardless if you EP or BF, usually delay your period, right? 
    Mine didn't return with DS1 until 14 months with a mix of BF, pumping at work, and starting solids at 4mo.
  • @FreshBakedBrownies Thanks! I definitely didn't want it haha...I was hoping I wouldn't get it at all PP and then not get it once my IUD was in since sometimes they can eliminate your periods altogether!

I also thought that some form of stimulation - be it nursing or pumping - would hold it off but who knows? I'm also the person that had extremely regular cycles after coming off of the BC pill for 10 years lol so it would be just my luck!
  • Man three weeks today and I can get my rings on but my fingers look like this:

Im still bleeding which sucks and I'm already mentally prepared to be wearing normal clothes again but won't physically be ready for some time. 

Also things that are annoying are making me REALLY annoyed versus being able to blow stuff off. I am having a super hard time not sending some nasty texts right now. 
  • @PerraSucia I bled for a good three + weeks as well and it was awful!

Also, I was not ready to part with my maternity clothes! I loved wearing pants with no zippers or buttons haha. Sadly, I'm back to wearing regular clothes, although I've been wearing leggings and yoga pants mostly. I am going to be extra sad when I have to wear nice clothes to work again lol.
  • Oh thanks for the info on bleeding. I'm still bleeding and I've been wondering if it was going on too long. Good know I should wait another week before calling the doctor.
  • I am so ready to wear non-maternity pants. But I dug them out today and I think i will need to buy new pants before that happens. I think my pelvis has changed in ways that make my pre-pregnancy pants wardrobe a thing of the past... 
  • Swelling for sure all over. And I've currently got severe constipation! So fun two days post partum.
  • @poetryandoceans it seriously took my hips 9 months to go back to normal last time. 

@purplewriter some people bleed like six weeks :neutral:
  • I'm 11 days PP, and the swelling in my feet is finally starting to go down but they still hurt like a MFer!

I've also been experiencing some crazy stomach pain that I don't think is related to my CS. It's not at or near the incision but much higher. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

•  @foxrosy the constipation is awful! Im 3 weeks pp & still struggling with it!

also my bleedig is starting to tail off now aswell.
  • One week pp.
    LO is getting over jaundice.
    I'm starting antibiotics for mastitis. I had a 101.4 fever yesterday, and normally I run low. Felt like the flu. Doing a bit better today.
    I still had high blood pressure after delivery. We'll see how it is at my next appointment.
    The pelvic girdle pain I had during pregnancy went away after delivering, so that's a plus!
  • 5 days PP and I'm still leaking urine. No leakage when I'm just laying or sitting, but getting up or starting to walk just opens the flood gates.  My doctor said it could be a few weeks, but I googled it in desperation and the most common results were a YEAR! Please let this be a Dr Google situation and that a year is dead wrong. 
  • @Patience7150 mine went away in about two weeks. Remember the people posting about it on the internet are the ones that are most impacted. Can't remember if you had a catheter during delivery, but my midwife said that was the most likely cause for mine, and it takes a few weeks for the muscles of the urethra to recover. Kegels are your friend!
  • Anyone have thoughts/advice on getting back to working out? I'll be 6 weeks pp next week and am looking forward to getting back to the gym for some stress relief. I've read that some ab exercises aren't recommended  (crunches, planks) but I'd like to get back to group fitness classes as soon as I safely can.
  • I'm close to 3 weeks PP, the super swelling finally went down like 5 days ago and I've lost an ungodly amount of water weight since delivery. Still bleeding and things kind of feel swollen downstairs, and holy hemorrhoids, ugh. 

Looking forward to my 6w PP appointment to be cleared to exercise! 
  • @lemieuxk I've never heard planks weren't okay just that sit ups and crunches are bad if you have the stomach muscle thing where they're separated. 

I just went back to what i did before but took it easy last time.  I don't know what I'm more excited for the bleeding to stop or being active again
  • Thank you @poetryandoceans!! That gives me hope. I did end up with an epi and catheter, so I was hoping that was just the cause.
  • I'm 11 days PP, and the swelling in my feet is finally starting to go down but they still hurt like a MFer!

I've also been experiencing some crazy stomach pain that I don't think is related to my CS. It's not at or near the incision but much higher. 
    I was experiencing awful stomach pains while I was still in the hospital. It was so unbearable that I ended up getting a shot of morphine. Apparently it can be quite common to end up with a little stomach ulcer after c-section. So now I'm taking a anti-ulcer med for a month but it's made the pain disappear completely. I was also told I had a lot of gas and that it could contribute to the discomfort :tongue:

i hope you feel better soon!
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • I get gas almost everytime I eat that hurts so much! And when I have to go poop, my whole stomach hurts. It's really annoying. 
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• 4 days PP and I'm just so worried about my kid and feeling like I'm failing him. My milk has come in but he's constantly rooting and fussing, like he's not getting enough to eat. He hasn't pooped in about 30 hours. He also has some jaundice and lost 10% of his body weight at his day 3 checkup. We have to go back tomorrow for a follow-up weigh-in and to check on the jaundice, which to me looks worse today than it was yesterday.

Physically I'm doing pretty great - I had a big tear but apparently it's in exactly the right spot, because I don't have any bathroom issues and the pain is controlled easily by Motrin. My body is looking much more normal than I had anticipated, and bleeding is annoying but whatever. I would trade any and all of the postpartum luck I'm having for the sake of my kid's health. 
  • @NiceyMeany i have no advice just creepy internet hugs. I hope ds gains weight soon and figures out the eating thing. this is so hard.
  • @NiceyMeany  I had the exact issue with my LO. I'm 15 days pp now. After much crying (both myself and LO), my DH and I decided to go to formula. I'd nurse but then LO would root and fuss. Eventually, I'd try to latch him and he would just cry and shake his head no violently. We started supplementing with formula because he lost 9% of his birth weight by the time he left the hospital. I could nurse him for 20ish minutes and the he's still drink 2oz of formula. I felt like so failed too, but I knew in my heart he was starving so we went to formula. Finally, at our 14 day appt yesterday he surpassed his birth weight. 

I'm finally almost done bleeding and I had a small episiotomy. It took me switching to formula and the two weeks of letting myself heal, but I feel so much better and more like myself. 

Creepy internet hugs.
  • @NiceyMeany I don't have much advice, but just wanted to tell you to keep your chin up! It's so hard but you're doing great. At the end of the day, happy Mom and happy baby are best...so do whatever you need to do! 
  • @NiceyMeany billi spikes around day 4-5 so he probably does look worse today. 
  • @NiceyMeany I know how you feel and sending hugs! Kirsten was the same way. The pedi told us to sit in the sun with her for the jaundice and that helped. 
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• bride2bedanibride2bedani member
    edited February 2017
    I'm 11 days pp now. These night sweats can go suck an egg. Currently nursing little one but when I woke up, my entire right side is drenched bc that's the side I was sleeping on. I always feel so gross after waking up wet like that. 

Edited bc I can't math. 
  • @NiceyMeany I felt the same way as you. While at the hospital, DD had lost 12% of her birth weight. I felt absolutely awful. We made the decision to put her on the breast first and if I thought it was a so-so session, i pumped and fed her from the bottle to make sure she was getting adequate amounts of milk. (We had latching issues.)
    At her 1 week check up, she was back up to 6,8% which is great. Now, the BF is going much better and I no longer need to supplement with my pumped milk or formula (which we did every once In a while). 

We we go back for another weigh in on Tuesday and I'm hoping she's continuing to gain weight. She's about 8oz from her birth weight. 

Hoping your little guy starts gaining weight and his jaundice kicks the bucket soon! 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • I'm 8 weeks pp today and only 3 days ago the bleeding stopped.  It was more of on and off super light period days but annoying.   But it's been gone for 3 days and I'm hoping it's for good.  My OB said that up to 8 weeks is normal!!   With our son I bled for 6 days and that was it. 

I physically feel fine and have felt fine since a week after Anna was born.  But emotionally I'm still kind of all over the place.   Not sure if that is normal or not.  I told my OB at my 6 week.  She said that it's normal for mom's of premies to feel this way but  I'm not sure how long it supposed to last......I have an appointment with my reg Dr in a few days so I will talk to her about it then.