April 2017 Moms

Birth Plans

What's in yours? What aspects of it are you firmly committed to and what are nice-to-haves? Have you talked to your doctor/midwife about it? Did you have to negotiate around any of the pieces?
DD #1: April 2017
DD #2: May 2020
Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

Re: Birth Plans

• Loading the player...
  • I've talked to our OB in a general sense about our wishes, but I get the sense that the birth plans are more for the nurses we interact with during labor as opposed to during actual delivery.  I'm okay with that because from all my conversations with my OB our plans seem to be in line (don't induce until 42 weeks unless medically necessary to get baby out earlier, avoiding episiotomy, being able to walk around/change positions/use the tub if no epidural, etc.)  Our hospital automatically does 1 hour of skin-to-skin immediately after birth unless the baby needs medical attention, so I'm happy about that.

Our hospital has a "birth plan" worksheet on their website so we will likely use that and make a few copies (at their suggestion during one of our classes) to give to nurses at assessment/triage and at labor and delivery.  At this point, I want to attempt natural birth and have been preparing as though that is my goal, so a big part of my birth plan will be not asking them not to offer an epidural unless I specifically ask for it.  @MWoodside some of the things you mentioned I had not thought about, so clearly I still have some work to do!   
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @cafedisco - I love your mention of time. I hate to be rushed, and if things are progressing as they should, even slowly, I feel I would become stress/agitated if they're relaying the time to me. Great point.
  • @Mwoodside can I ask why you don't want the eye ointment? I have read that a lot of people are going this way(mainly here on TB in other BMB) but I'm unsure why
  • MWoodside said:

I haven't talked to my provider about our birth plan during this pregnancy, but we used the same practice last time and they were fully supportive of the birth plan I presented. Mine is super long and specific. It's been respected both times so far by the staff that has attended our births.

Some of the things included are: dim lights, heplock instead of IV (I have been GBS+ both times, but don't want to be hooked up to an IV ongoing), heplock in wrist instead of crook of elbow, access to water/bath, don't ask my if I want pain meds, don't asked me to do cervical checks (if I want them I will request), don't break my bag of waters, no counting/coaching during pushing, no hep b shot after birth, no erythromycin on baby's eyes, baby to chest immediately after birth (unless emergent care is needed), wait to do stats until after I nurse initially, no family/guests in my room in L&D or for 1 hour after transfer to mom/baby unit, save my placenta (for encapsulation), don't pull on the cord to deliver placenta, no episiotomy unless I am asked and ok it (hasn't been necessary for me), counterpressure on the perenium while pushing to help prevent tears, no deep suction for baby post-birth, delayed first bath (we leave vernix on for the first day), allow cord to stop pulsing before DH cuts it, I don't want to deliver flat on my back (I tore a TON with DD1 b/c of this poor position)...

I am sure there is more, but it's at home.

This was pretty much exactly mine with DS as well. 
  • I guess I didn't realize it was mainly for STDs. This little one won't be needing it either. I didn't actually know what it was called but now I can look it up 
  • @Taylor72, it also blurs their vision until it is absorbed. Baby can only see a short distance in front of their own face initially so I want her to be able to see me :)

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I didn't have a plan at all with my daughter. This time around my plan is pretty simple/basic.  Im likely having a C-section but if I happen to go into labor naturally my doctor is allowing a "game day call." So if I am laboring and things are looking good I can go for a VBAC.  I'm delaying cord clamping and I want a chance to breastfeed before anyone but DH is allowed in. That's pretty much it.
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • I'm planning a home birth so if I birth at home, I'm not concerned about my wants and needs being violated. I did write a birth plan though that speaks mostly to a hospital birth/c section. I've noted that I'm a hard stick but that an antecubital (crook of elbow) IV is unacceptable, that I refuse the catheter until after an epidural, that I don't want to be sedated during surgery (hated almost falling asleep on the table last time), that I'd like baby to remain on me and the possibility of nursing in the OR, and a list of things I want and don't want for baby. 
  • I won't have an official birth plan, but I will be talking to the nurses and midwife about my previous delivery at that hospital and request some different positioning and such. they didn't break the bed down until they were about to do a vacuum assist with my first, and wouldn't you know, I pushed him right out once they did. (I had been pushing for 4 hours at that point to no avail). 

Other than that, I'm pretty laid back and will go with the flow as I did the first time. We probably won't have any other family in the room this time- just DH and myself, so fx all goes well and we can do skin to skin (couldn't with DS since he went straight to the nursery) and recover post birth before family can come in. 
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm in love with this thread, it's nice to see in writing what I am thinking, but can't articulate appropriately!  I've googled birth plan templates etc and they don't come close to what I would like.  How do these plans work..do you just type and print?  Is it handwritten?  Is their a birthing center/hospital form that is required?  I'll be talking to my OB about my wishes, hopefully on Wednesday at my next appointment. 
  • mrsstuessymrsstuessy member
    edited February 2017
    @Nolegirl1185 I will probably type mine out and print it. With DD1 we had a binder. This time we should be good with a small folder. We will have insurance info in there, a contact list of people to update when the baby is born, my birth plan and some other paperwork we will need at the hospital. And then we will also have a place to put all the papers they give us. Most hospitals or doctors will have a form that you can use. But, you are definitely not required to have a birth plan or to use the one they give you. But it is a good idea to know what sort of info they are suggesting you write down. And definitely talk to your OB about what you are thinking to get their take on it. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • akslevinakslevin member
    edited February 2017

Any more naturally-inclined (for lack of better phrasing) mamas able to comment on a Plan B birth plan in the case of medical induction or required C-section? I want to leave some room in my brain for this contingency, given that I'm not easily able to roll with the punches :) Delayed cord clamping, no erythromycin eye treatment, immediate skin-to-skin, etc -- those would all still be relevant, but I'm thinking of other things that could come up prior to baby's arrival.

Is it irrational to still hope for a med-free birth with Pitocin? I've heard from many mamas that contractions on Pitocin (if I were to need a medical induction) are of a different variety than contractions without...any STM with experience in this arena?

• I haven't had an induction or pitocin, but several mama friends have been induced with it and not gotten pain mess or an epidural. 

If i I need to be induced I'll request a foley bulb induction attempt if I'm dilated a bit. I'd prefer not to have pitocin to induce if at all possible. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • @akslevin Central Floridian here! What area will you be moving to?
    DD March 2015
    Baby #2 due April 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I went into my first pregnancy with no real birthing plan other to go med free and I think it will be the same this time, with the exception of doing everything to avoid being induced again. 

I didnt have a clue what to expect last time so my theory was that my body would know what to do and just go with the flow. Labour really was nothing like I expected but DH was able to coach me through and I look forward to having him there for support this time around as well, he did amazing
  • Taylor72 said:
    @Mwoodside can I ask why you don't want the eye ointment? I have read that a lot of people are going this way(mainly here on TB in other BMB) but I'm unsure why
    We were told (by our birth instructor) the ointment can impact abd interfere with bonding and breastefeeding.

The only reason it's done is bc it is routine and not single out people who may have those std/stis...so every baby gets ithe.

We plan to not get it.

• My midwife asked what my birth plan was and provide a couple sheets with birth wishes and you just check off, they scan in and print out when you are in labor.

I'll do that but I plan to make a simple one that has labor, birth and postpartum with simple yes no columns.

This was advised by our Birth instructor explaining keep it simple and easy to read. Have extra copies, hang one on door, etc.
  • akslevin said:

Any more naturally-inclined (for lack of better phrasing) mamas able to comment on a Plan B birth plan in the case of medical induction or required C-section? I want to leave some room in my brain for this contingency, given that I'm not easily able to roll with the punches :) Delayed cord clamping, no erythromycin eye treatment, immediate skin-to-skin, etc -- those would all still be relevant, but I'm thinking of other things that could come up prior to baby's arrival.

Is it irrational to still hope for a med-free birth with Pitocin? I've heard from many mamas that contractions on Pitocin (if I were to need a medical induction) are of a different variety than contractions without...any STM with experience in this arena?

I plan to have alternative birth plans too...bc just never know.

Check out "gentle c section" and look at Mama Natural for her advice. Our Birth instructor showedd/told us they can use clear sheet if you ask so you can see being born  (if they have it). But you may also request no shop talk, etc
  • Ekzerr said:
    I went into my first pregnancy with no real birthing plan other to go med free and I think it will be the same this time, with the exception of doing everything to avoid being induced again. 

I didnt have a clue what to expect last time so my theory was that my body would know what to do and just go with the flow. Labour really was nothing like I expected but DH was able to coach me through and I look forward to having him there for support this time around as well, he did amazing
    This exactly...
  • After delivering 4 babies I found that a plan easily goes out the window!  I have a few specific things, like no eye goop, delay clamping, skin to skin right away.  Other than that we figure it out as we go. 
  • @cook3133 that sounds exactly like what I want... those few specifics you mentioned and a goal to do as much laboring as I can without pain meds, but I want to go in with a little bit of flexibility because I don't know what to expect and as you said things can change unexpectedly even with a plan. 
  • Sorry for my belated reply - I can't bump on the weekends.

@belocin -- Heathrow! Do you know it? We're hoping to birth at Inspiration Birth Center in Winter Park.

@wkoutmomtobe -- thank you! I will start researching 'gentle c section.'

• @pammasu0909 I'm curious about your last bullet point. Is there a reason they wanted to test baby's blood? I have never heard of that. All my clients (as a birth doula) have nursed before any sort of test. Was there some sort of special situation going on? 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrsstuessy Not sure if it's the same situation, but DS had to have his sugars tested pretty regularly because of his size and concerns that I'd had undiagnosed GD. Soooo many heel pricks. :cry:
  • schef070911schef070911 member
    edited February 2017
    FTM question: I just researched delayed cord clamping because I honestly didn't know it meant and what the benefits were.  Is delayed cord clamping not a common practice at hospitals?  Can you do skin-to-skin immediately after if you delay?

ETA words are hard
  • @schef070911 from what the nurse at our child birth prep class said, the "delay" is only around 45 seconds to a minute. So not much time. And then they do skin to skin. 
  • @schef070911 I'm planning on doing it! And yes 30 seconds to a minute is what I was told too. I think that's worth it for the benefits.