July 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 2.9.17

Re: UO Thursday 2.9.17

• Options
    I kinda understand about the breastfeeding. I fully support a woman breastfeeding in public and do not think that women should have to feed their children in bathrooms, but I'm pretty modest and would never make my breastfeeding the center of attention. I have a friend who posts pictures on Facebook of her breastfeeding, and they are very revealing. At one point, I admire her strength, but it wouldn't be my choice. 

I also have a friend who is very pushy about others breastfeeding in public. Another friend is nursing her son but is not comfortable nursing in front of groups. She doesn't mind other women, but is uncomfortable around men. She says it's her body, and she's not okay with revealing too much. The pushy friend will try to force her to breastfeed with men in the room and dismisses her when she asks to use a bedroom. 
  • Options
    Oh and I LIVE with hand sanitizer and Lysol sprays. It's a problem how often I use them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @JulyBaby17 Oh that's awful. I'm all for supporting women breast feeding in public and not getting bullied about having to "cover up" or go hide in a bathroom. I personally am going to be one of those women. But I would never lay down on a dance floor, I would sit at my table. And get my husband to help cover the other boob if it's such an issue, but I'm pretty sure you can cover one side with a halter and not the other. But I wouldn't make someone breastfeed in public if she isn't comfortable! That's almost worse. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    Let me also add her daughter only nurses while mom is laying on her side. So that's why I suggested the dressing room or bathroom (only because in the country club there was a HUGE sitting area that she could have used as well. She has pics on FB of her at drs offices, grocery stores, this particular wedding (she was very proud, and even prouder when someone reported her picture and then uploaded probably 15 more revealing photos), restaurants, etc. All with the caption "when (baby) wants her milkies she gets them". Literally 1 a day since she was born a year and a half ago. 
  • Options
    I'm definitely pro-breastfeeding, and I have no problem BFing in public. But if I'm in a room with friends, and I have reason to believe that someone in the room would be uncomfortable if I started breastfeeding right there, and I have a convenient private alternative, I will go to the alternative location to feed. I think it's common courtesy. 

If I'm at a restaurant, I'm not going to go into a public restroom to BF. That's gross. But at a reception hall, when there's probably an empty room nearby that is clean and comfortable, why wouldn't you go there?
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    I felt like everyone was feeding my sister fifty potions a day to make her breast feed. I felt awful for her. One day she started crying that she feels like a cow and there's so much milk she can produce.

I do know that my family makes this yummy mix called "Panjeeri" made of fried almonds, semolina, sesame, Misri (rock sugar Its like crystalized sugar) Puffed Lotus Seeds and tons of other things to make more milk. She also had this semolina pudding each day in the morning with fried almonds (fried in ghee) and also at night she soaked lotus seeds(makhana) in milk and made fennel tea. 

It was all yummy and I used to sneakily eat her stuff but honestly she had a really bad pancreatitis attack a few months later and now doesn't have a gall bladder. Not everyone can eat so much fat! 

Im also a bit scared of breast feeding after seeing my sister. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    My UO: why do people think if someone has smaller boobs they probably can't breast feed? What's the connection seriously ?! 

Edit: grammar 
  • Options
    BusyZee said:
    My UO: why do people think if someone have smaller boobs they probably can't breast feed? What's the connection seriously ?! 
    Or in my case I have large breasts for my frame 34DDD-34E bra size before breastfeeding and people always assume I have a huge supply. Uh thats not how that works. 
  • Options
    I'm not small for my frame, I'm a 32D but my sister is a 32A and some women would start boasting about their milk supply because they were "well endowed" people do automatically assume your a milking machine if you have big ones! @nktrodden826
  • Options
    Oh I am 1000% dreading breastfeeding again. I had a great pregnancy with my first, a drama free labor/delivery, and a quick recovery. But I WAS NOT READY for when my milk came in. It was horrific and traumatic and I'm dreading it so so much.

Maybe it will be better this time around because I know what to expect, but I'm also doing things so much differently. The only reason I will be pumping is for relief in the first few weeks until my supply regulates. I AM NOT waking up to pump every 2 hours, if my baby is sleeping, to keep up my supply. Sleep and sanity are important, and if I have to use formula so be it.

This isn't to say I didn't have a great breastfeeding experience with my first. I did. But then I only had one else baby and had the luxury of time (I'm a sahm). With a toddler and a newborn and a schedule, I'm going to do whatever I need to do to survive.
  • Options
    Dang it @yellow1daisy. Now I'm going to have the Shaia Leboeuf song stuck in my head all night.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Let me also add her daughter only nurses while mom is laying on her side. So that's why I suggested the dressing room or bathroom (only because in the country club there was a HUGE sitting area that she could have used as well. She has pics on FB of her at drs offices, grocery stores, this particular wedding (she was very proud, and even prouder when someone reported her picture and then uploaded probably 15 more revealing photos), restaurants, etc. All with the caption "when (baby) wants her milkies she gets them". Literally 1 a day since she was born a year and a half ago. 
    Yeah, I still agree the comment wasn't necessary. The bathroom in particular is horrible. Numerous studies have shown how disgusting a bathroom really is (i.e., fecal matter flying in the air, much less on the floor). That's pretty rotten to say. There's a way to nurse in public that doesn't scream "look at me!"
  • Options
    Yeah, I still agree the comment wasn't necessary. The bathroom in particular is horrible. Numerous studies have shown how disgusting a bathroom really is (i.e., fecal matter flying in the air, much less on the floor). That's pretty rotten to say. There's a way to nurse in public that doesn't scream "look at me!"
    Maybe there is, but it doesn't usually involve laying on the floor wherever you happen to be!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    Maybe there is, but it doesn't usually involve laying on the floor wherever you happen to be!
    Hence why I said "There's a way to nurse in public that doesn't scream 'look at me!'".....
  • Options
    @PurplePoppy424 I'm sorry- didn't mean to offend you. I have breastfed in public I ALWAYS went into the bathroom to have privacy so I didn't think anything of it. I apologize!
  • Options
    Hence why I said "There's a way to nurse in public that doesn't scream 'look at me!'".....
    I don't think this chick is interested at all lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    I agree with everyone so far.

In the UO train of pampering, now that I am on my way to my second kid and I know how much money I will need, I can't get myself to get my hair done. It is looking terrible right now. Long and broken, gray roots 2 inches long. I got the box stuff so that I can do myself, but I have to cut it. It's just so expensive IMO. 70 bucks is a lot for them to just do a few snips. And usually it won't even include the blow dry. I tried supercuts but it was a terrible cut. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    plumpous said:

In the UO train of pampering, now that I am on my way to my second kid and I know how much money I will need, I can't get myself to get my hair done. It is looking terrible right now. Long and broken, gray roots 2 inches long. I got the box stuff so that I can do myself, but I have to cut it. It's just so expensive IMO. 70 bucks is a lot for them to just do a few snips. And usually it won't even include the blow dry. I tried supercuts but it was a terrible cut. 
    Do you have a Sally's near you or a beauty supply shot? You are much better off buying professional color and developer than box dyes. They are much harsher on your hair and will cause more breakage in the long run. And usually, it is actually cheaper to buy professional dye and developer than boxed dyes because boxed dyes charge for the convenience
  • Options
    I never nursed with a cover in public. I never went into a bathroom either. I don't think I even got a second look by someone when I was feeding DD either. I just sat there and fed my child...which is whats supposed to happen so I don't get why it's a song and dance and "look at me". I mean don't get me wrong if someone even looked at me sideways I would've shut their ass down but...I just don't understand the theatrics. My parents are very anti breastfeeding in public and my mom once told me I was "aggressively breastfeeding" DD when she was a newborn because we were in a store and the only place for me to sit was on a bench at the front of the store. Or our 100 degree car in July. 

On a side note DD just laid an adult sized log in the bath before I even washed her so I used pregnancy special snowflake disease to get DH to clean it. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @NKTrodden825 @Plumpous :   I agree with the you statement about the salon schools. I just had my highlights done at Tony and Guy for 22 bucks, I had it done by someone who was learning their technique, who had been doing hair for close to 10 years, but was just hired at their salon. It would have cost 360, for regular service. Bumble and Bumble and other named salons do this as well. 

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Lol, I would totally be the mom to call it milkies or something. But when I give my son a bottle of coconut milk, I call it milk milk. Go ahead, flame me.

On a separate note, breastfeeding your 4 year old in public really is a bit wierd, and showcasing makes it worse. Pertaining to the mom at the mall a couple years ago.
  • Options
    I don't like the Kardashians but I have to say that I respect a family with no talent or skills that managed to build a fortune and empire out of a sex tape.

I am 100% pro breastfeeding if that's the choice you make and don't think there is ever a situation where telling someone to go to the bathroom or cover up is acceptable.  That said the AW look at my boob feeding my child pictures are super annoying and I believe counter productive in the movement to normalize breastfeeding.  The more needless exposure of boobs is adding fuel to those who say it's inappropriate.  Feed your kid however you choose and know your rights.  If you are put in a situation where you need to defend your choice then stand up for your rights.  That's how change and acceptance will happen, not by posting a million boob shots just because you are feeding your kid.
  • Options
    plumpous said:

Do you have a Sally's near you or a beauty supply shot? You are much better off buying professional color and developer than box dyes. They are much harsher on your hair and will cause more breakage in the long run. And usually, it is actually cheaper to buy professional dye and developer than boxed dyes because boxed dyes charge for the convenience
    I pay $2.97 for the box and it's ammonia free. I think it's a good deal. And that's retail price for a brand name. No idea why it's so cheap but I've always been happy with it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I can see sleeping and feeding being different, but I really don't think there are different ways to strap into a carseat... Unless you mean the forward facing or rear facing. Then it is up to the parent completely after 2.
  • Options
    @ESG7417 I know a girl in a top salon in NY and Tuesday night is practice night for color only (so no cut or styling) and it's $60 flat, no tip and it's supervised. It's still a bit much unless you do something complicated but it is a really high end place so the quality is superb. I did it once for fun but I can't go there just for roots. It's awesome for blondes because they just do an amazing job with the matching and blending etc. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I can see sleeping and feeding being different, but I really don't think there are different ways to strap into a carseat... Unless you mean the forward facing or rear facing. Then it is up to the parent completely after 2.
    I mean all of it. I'm team stay RF as long as possible, we BF for 2.5 years, we co-sleep. There were people who said they knew the safety of carseats and chose to turn their children before 2. There are people who refuse co-sleeping, and think 2.5 years is too long to BF, we all do it different. All of us. You and other may agree, but we don't do everything exactly the same, do we?
  • Options
    ESG7417ESG7417 member
    edited February 2017
    @Plumpous, yes I actually found out about this on a local moms baby clothes exchange site in my town on Facebook LOL but since I knew the salon was reputable. I trusted that it would not be a total disaster. I have strawberry blonde hair naturally, and the highlights I have just lightened it up a bit. 
  • Options
    ESG7417 said:
    @Plumpous, yes I actually found out about this on a local moms baby clothes exchange site in my town on Facebook LOL but since I knew the salon was reputable. I trusted that it would not be a total disaster. I have strawberry blonde hair naturally, and the highlights I have just lightened it up a bit. 
    If you are blonde, those student nights are awesome. They really care about making your hair perfect because they are learning it so they can apply to customers who pay the big bucks. I got the connection through a friend who met the stylist in a party. But I have black hair and I can apply some black dye on my roots and it looks fine. So I can't justify spending $$$$ when a box is less than $3.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @dancegurl1118 I legit just laughed out loud at "agressively breastfeeding!"   I got this really funny mental image of someone just running up and picking fights with random people while breastfeeding or something 
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 my mom is insane. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I don't think this chick is interested at all loI

*stuck in the stupid box.*

This girl obviously doesn't care. I'm explicitly pointing out that it's not okay to tell a breastfeeding mom to go to the bathroom to nurse. It's disgusting. You can make the point here without sinking to that level. Just sayin. That girl clearly wanted attention. I'm not defending the "I'm going to plop down here on the floor at a wedding and to hell what everyone thinks" girl. I'm clearly pointing out that telling someone to nurse in a bathroom is rude and gross. I also have nursed in public before. I'm sure there were other rooms that weren't a bathroom available and like I said there are ways to nurse in public that aren't that attention grabby. Not sure where in my comment I came across as defending this girl, but thought I'd clarify. 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    I'm definitely pro-breastfeeding, and I have no problem BFing in public. But if I'm in a room with friends, and I have reason to believe that someone in the room would be uncomfortable if I started breastfeeding right there, and I have a convenient private alternative, I will go to the alternative location to feed. I think it's common courtesy. 

If I'm at a restaurant, I'm not going to go into a public restroom to BF. That's gross. But at a reception hall, when there's probably an empty room nearby that is clean and comfortable, why wouldn't you go there?
    I don't, because no one would bat an eye if you were in that same situation and pulled out a bottle and started feeding your child, but because it's a boob people freak out. If it makes someone uncomfortable they can leave.